BenQ W1070 bulb replacement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-18-2016, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 0
BenQ W1070 bulb replacement

I have a BenQ W1070 projector for my basement. The bulb usage is approaching 3,000 hours and it does seem to be getting slightly dimmer and less bright. I am starting to think about getting the replacement bulb (with housing) just so I have it when absolutely needed since the time seems to be getting closer.

I did google "BenQ W1070 bulb" and got lots of results. The issue is, when I went to the one for sale on Amazon (which is where I do alot of my online shopping since I have Prime), some of the reviews on there for that bulb were less than steller. Seems some people claim the bulb is not the actual one manufactured by BenQ and was not very good (was dim or didn't display the brightness /colors correctly).

Is there a way to make sure I am ordering the correct one from the manufacturer and not a cheap rip off? If so, can anyone provide any links on where to find and order this so I get it correctly the first time.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-18-2016, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS78 View Post
I have a BenQ W1070 projector for my basement. The bulb usage is approaching 3,000 hours and it does seem to be getting slightly dimmer and less bright. I am starting to think about getting the replacement bulb (with housing) just so I have it when absolutely needed since the time seems to be getting closer.

I did google "BenQ W1070 bulb" and got lots of results. The issue is, when I went to the one for sale on Amazon (which is where I do alot of my online shopping since I have Prime), some of the reviews on there for that bulb were less than steller. Seems some people claim the bulb is not the actual one manufactured by BenQ and was not very good (was dim or didn't display the brightness /colors correctly).

Is there a way to make sure I am ordering the correct one from the manufacturer and not a cheap rip off? If so, can anyone provide any links on where to find and order this so I get it correctly the first time.

I replaced my BenQ bulb at 4000+ hours in SmartEco. The jump in brightness brought new life to my screen. While shopping I was appalled that the bulb replacement cost is close to 1/2 the price of the projector and was tempted to go with one of the cheaper options. After reading the same reviews you read I shied away from Amazon and went with a reputable bulb supplier that very specifically called out "BenQ branded replacement" or something to that effect. The BenQ thread in this forum is full of bulb replacement advice and horror stories.
Good luck.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-18-2016, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I replaced my BenQ bulb at 4000+ hours in SmartEco. The jump in brightness brought new life to my screen. While shopping I was appalled that the bulb replacement cost is close to 1/2 the price of the projector and was tempted to go with one of the cheaper options. After reading the same reviews you read I shied away from Amazon and went with a reputable bulb supplier that very specifically called out "BenQ branded replacement" or something to that effect. The BenQ thread in this forum is full of bulb replacement advice and horror stories.
Good luck.
Thanks.

I actually do not like the Eco mode. It is not bright enough for my tastes. I always use it on normal brightness mode, so I read it usually goes out at about 3000 hours for that, so I am almost there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-01-2016, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have this projector also. Just passed the 2 year mark. I have been a close follower of the bare bulb replacement thread since I bought the projector, just to be prepared for when the time came. But I never really saw that any of the options were that great. Last month, my bulb started to show what looked like a small crack. I didn't want to run it until it exploded so I ended up immediately getting a genuine replacement with enclosure from B&H. Shipped and delivered fast. Installed in about 10 minutes and has been running fine since. I'm hoping that by the time I need another bulb there will be some well priced 4K projectors on the market. Hopefully BenQ will make one.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-02-2016, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS78 View Post
Thanks.

I actually do not like the Eco mode. It is not bright enough for my tastes. I always use it on normal brightness mode, so I read it usually goes out at about 3000 hours for that, so I am almost there.

ECO mode is not the same as Smart ECO mode. Just plain ECO mode dims the lamp to 70% of Full Lamp. Smart ECO changes the brightness of the lamp depending on the content, so it can vary from only 30% of Full all the way up to 100% of Full.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #6 of 6 Old 02-20-2017, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I'm approaching 2000 hours on my W1070 and there has been a significant decrease in brightness, dark scenes are pretty bad. I run full power and my projector has been color calibrated. I ordered a replacement assembly directly from BenQ, guess i'll find out for sure when i do the swap on the brightness.

I have a room with full light control too. It really only seems like the last few months it's tanked. Was watching Arrival last night and some of the dark scenes were just a big black blur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page