New 1080p Pico - XGIMI H1 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #31 of 419 Old 10-27-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Lol that wasn't an obvious marketing post. You guys are eating it up. How about a little objectivity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 419 Old 10-27-2016, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Lol that wasn't an obvious marketing post. You guys are eating it up. How about a little objectivity.
I was kinda thinking the same thing. I'm not about marketing, so I started the subject to discuss what could (maybe) be a cool new Pico 1080 projector.

But, when people come on and can't get the model number right, and there is no indication this model has been released, and it is NOT available anywhere yet, it makes you wonder what they are talking about.

Then they magically disappear for a while.

Still, the guy who posted has posted before and doesn't seem to market in other posts he's made, so maybe he's legit, but not sure how he got a projector that isn't currently available. Still, would be cool to see some photos, which are easy enough to upload. Or better yet, a video overview of what he actually has.

Still, I'm not wagging my finger and walking away without giving this a fair shake. Would love to see it in person and get some real measurements off of it. It may be a really nice option to the others.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #33 of 419 Old 10-27-2016, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I found a listing for this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E8...A8L&ref=plSrch

But on xgimi site it's on pre-order. This doesn't make any sense.

One possible reason could be - this might be a pre production copy which is being sold on Amazon.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 419 Old 10-27-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Definitely give it a fair shot, but I'd be shocked if sars worked for anywhere other than this company.
post #35 of 419 Old 10-27-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3950 Post(s)
Liked: 3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatbiswas82 View Post
I found a listing for this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E8...A8L&ref=plSrch

But on xgimi site it's on pre-order. This doesn't make any sense.

One possible reason could be - this might be a pre production copy which is being sold on Amazon.

It makes sense when you look more closely at the two third party sellers listed by Amazon. They're both "just launched" with no track record. Amazon has recently been swamped with these "just launched" vendors with no track record. When you do a background check you find that there's no evidence they even exist. Amazon is going to take a big hit on their reputation if they don't figure out a way to sort out legitimate third party sellers from the scammers.
post #36 of 419 Old 10-27-2016, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
It makes sense when you look more closely at the two third party sellers listed by Amazon. They're both "just launched" with no track record. Amazon has recently been swamped with these "just launched" vendors with no track record. When you do a background check you find that there's no evidence they even exist. Amazon is going to take a big hit on their reputation if they don't figure out a way to sort out legitimate third party sellers from the scammers.
Thanks a lot for the caution Dave. Appreciated.

post #37 of 419 Old 10-27-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Definitely give it a fair shot, but I'd be shocked if sars worked for anywhere other than this company.
Maybe he previously worked for Acer because he made similar gushing posts about the Acer H9500 until he fell out of love with it.
post #38 of 419 Old 11-07-2016, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
... and it is NOT available anywhere yet, it makes you wonder what they are talking about.
It is released in China and there are reviews of it in Chinese (which I don't understand). Is there anybody here that can help translate this? (*******/M3ZA8T) Sorry I don't have enough reps

The image looks oversaturated but it may be because of bad settings too.
post #39 of 419 Old 11-07-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varunn View Post
(*******/M3ZA8T)
That was goo . gl / M3ZA8T
post #40 of 419 Old 11-07-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is released in China and there are reviews of it in Chinese (which I don't understand). Is there anybody here that can help translate this? (*******/M3ZA8T) Sorry I don't have enough reps

Some of the junk they are comparing it to though... You need a real subjective review.
post #41 of 419 Old 11-07-2016, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Sigh... Maybe I'll order this from Amazon and see how it stacks up. That's what I ended up doing with the LG PF1500 when I wrote the review on Projector Central for that one. It was solid, but not a keeper as I would have been using it (for sure) in the gaming area of my basement. So, it needed faster response time.

Anyway, a fair shake should be given, and at $1,000 it's certainly priced as others are in this realm. Hardly a 'cheap' Chinese projector. More like a typically priced Pico 1080p model.

The inclusion of 3D and Android really does seem nice. It pains me that LG didn't include that on their US model.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #42 of 419 Old 11-08-2016, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Red face

I've found Xgimi H1 with a Chinese version? https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...659255650.html.

I don't really know if this is the Xgimi H1 you are talking about, and it seems that the price is a bit higher than on the official website.

I came across to Xgimi website and seeing those video samples ....hmmm thinking that H1 is really a good contender to Lg PF1500. IMO

Last edited by displaylou; 11-08-2016 at 04:06 PM.
post #43 of 419 Old 11-15-2016, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 38
post #44 of 419 Old 11-16-2016, 05:14 AM

Lots of detailed reviews on this chinese site:
goo . gl / d6puQr (Excuse the spaces)

Want to know if this is worth backing .. anyone who knows chinese would be of great help! Google translate works okay but it isn't fully interpretable.
post #45 of 419 Old 11-16-2016, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked: 921
I believe I saw this sold through BestBuy a few months ago (I'm pretty sure it was an actual BB item and not one of their 3rd-party market items).
Can't say for sure if that adds any more credentials to its batman belt, but it at least means anyone willing to give it a shot will have a hassle-free 15day return policy to hand it back to BB if they aren't happy with it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm dumb. I saw H1 and must've gotten it confused with HX..
bem wireless hx2070b - Kickstand WR1 Smart Portable DLP Projector
Native-1080p LED DLP $799

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 11-16-2016 at 05:18 PM.
post #46 of 419 Old 11-16-2016, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post
There's a secret perk link if you ask them nicely they might give it to you for $616.
post #47 of 419 Old 11-23-2016, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tech Crunch gave it a pretty positive review here
https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/22/xg...ter-projector/

Getting pretty close to being sold on it especially at the early bird price. I like the idea of an all in one projector that I can bring outside for casual outdoor movie nights without needing to worry about hooking up speakers.
post #48 of 419 Old 11-23-2016, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melo View Post
Tech Crunch gave it a pretty positive review here
https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/22/xg...ter-projector/

Getting pretty close to being sold on it especially at the early bird price. I like the idea of an all in one projector that I can bring outside for casual outdoor movie nights without needing to worry about hooking up speakers.

But it has automatic keystone adjustment.....

Said no AVSer ever
post #49 of 419 Old 11-23-2016, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just came across another review:

http://fanboynation.com/h1-review/

A little exaggerated in parts, but lots of useful info.

Sent from my 304SH using Tapatalk
post #50 of 419 Old 11-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 83
"Then you’ll also never know if the quality will be the same in home because stores that display projectors have it professionally set up for it to look good"

Lol.
That reviewer just lost all credibility.
post #51 of 419 Old 11-23-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Credibility was established in the first sentence:

Quote:
I worked for Magnolia at Best Buy for a number of years, so please believe me when I say I know home theater systems.
Bachiano likes this.
post #52 of 419 Old 11-23-2016, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
No, even before that -- note the subheading:

"Hands down the best home projector ever created"

When I see "hands down", "the best", or "ever" used in a review, I tend to take it with a grain of salt. When I see all three terms headline an article, well, ...

In hindsight, I shouldn't expect anything less considering the site is called "fanboynation".
Dave in Green likes this.
post #53 of 419 Old 11-24-2016, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

Quote:
I worked for Magnolia at Best Buy for a number of years, so please believe me when I say I know home theater systems.
Lol - So funny
post #54 of 419 Old 12-11-2016, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

Hello, this video is a comparison of H1 to a JmGo X1 which is the main competitive brand in China to Xgimi. The JmGo X1 is also a pico projector with the 1080p 0.47 chip. Since the video is so long, give me a start and end time for the part u are interested in and I will translate it. I have a PF1500 largo and am interested in all other newly launched 1080p picos for a comparison.
post #55 of 419 Old 12-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just got mine off Indigogo. Initial impressions & unboxing photos here: (scroll down)

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...igogo.2488073/

Reserving judgement on the PQ until I have more time to put it through the paces. At first blush, it's pretty close to my BenQ HT2050, which was $100 more. 900 lumens via LED is surprisingly bright. Very sharp image. I need to test the PQ on something like a Bluray & check it next to my HT2050 to see how the contrast & overall PQ compares. But for ~$700, I am very happy with it after playing with it a couple times. Onboard sound is clear & loud, although it does sound like a soundbar, but if you just want something you can simply mount & use (1080p LED + integrated Android + built-in speakers), it's great because all you need to plug in is the power wire. Endless apps to throw on through Android (Plex, Kodi, emulators & other games, etc.).

I'm curious to see if they're going to sell them on Amazon after the Indigogo campaign; I know plenty of people who would love an all-in-one setup like this. It's a bit too cold out right now, but I'm curious to see how it does outdoors with my 12' Walmart inflatable screen. LG has been slowly dropping the price on their 1080p LED PF1500 projector (currently $800 online); I've used their UST LED & am not a fan of it at all, so right now, this is the best value for a 1080p LED projector that I'm aware of.
rocklee likes this.
post #56 of 419 Old 12-29-2016, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
Can you tell me, Kaido, is it possible to feed it a 1080p input at 120hz? Like, from a PC, and over HDMI.

I'm curious because it says "4K" compatible which might allow more bandwidth over HDMI than typical projectors to support higher than 60hz refresh rates.

thx
post #57 of 419 Old 12-30-2016, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 209
+2

Subscribed.
post #58 of 419 Old 01-08-2017, 05:36 AM
NST

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just got the H1 and wanted to give people a headsup / quick review, but in short - don't buy it.

Beautifully packaged, this was a good sign!

Build quality is first rate - it's fantastically built, a good weight and solid feeling. The buttons have superb response and the right amount of 'click', and the overall feel and finish is very premium. And it is TINY! I have it sat quite comfortably on a 27cm deep shelf and there's plenty of room to spare, it looks fantastic and way more discreet than usual projectors.

Basically looks like a really cool speaker and its so easy to transport and re-position into different rooms. A big plus on build!

Except the remote control - it's made of aluminium I think, but it's very very lightweight and tinny feeling and the buttons are ok but not great - a bit cheap feeling. Plus it is very unresponsive and inconsistent in use, but I suspect this is a software issue. There is 'wand' capability but it's useless pretty much, frustrating to use. The annoying thing with the control, is that the focussing functionality can only be controlled via the remote control unit - focussing cannot be done on the projector, nor with the app that you can download. The app by the way is ‘ok’ but pretty limited functions.

Booting up for the first time didn't happen. Not sure why, but because there are literally no instructions included (not even quick set-up) I was left scrambling around google to try and fix. This was a real headache as there were not even H1 instructions on the Xgimi site. I eventually found a very scant set of official instructions via their forum, but they're very threadbare. I would have attached them here but the file is too big and I cant shrink t below 1mb sorry. IF you can email me via here I can send them to you.

Ok so once I finally managed to get it booted up, set-up is fairly easy. I have it positioned to the right of my sofa so I jumped into the keystone menu. It’s not automatic, but after some tinkering with each corner of the projected image, you can get the picture where you want it. You can also manually dial back the beam itself on the projector lens, as well as digitally zooming in and out on the control. Image is not effected which is good. What I will say is this, if you have the projector offset (either to the left or right of the viewing angle, or positioned above your head and angled down) you will get a strange beam projection of light itself, i.e although the actual image can be keystoned into the correct shape, you can not correct the light beam itself which is coming in at an angle, so you end up with a rather odd shape on your wall, its not a perfect rectangle of light if you know what I mean.

This may or may not be a distraction for some of you, but I find it a bit annoying - I want a perfect rectangle of light projected onto the wall, not a strange semi rectangle, plus triangular shape! So the only way to rectify this, is to put the projector face on to the wall, parallel to it. This is not a fault of the H1, it will occur with all offset projector configurations where you need to keystone. Just a headsup!

I’d also suggest leaving the projector in position once you’re happy with a keystoned image - if you keep moving it about, you have to keystone every time, gets a bit tiresome.

The image itself is good. Its hard to quantify properly as I haven’t ordered a screen yet so just have it projected onto the wall, a textured wallpaper and it is surprisingly good when the lights are off. The texture wallpaper is subtle and although definitely effects the image (I’ve compared it projected on to plain paper) it is still a very good image. I can’t say its tack sharp yet, so I won’t go into too much detail on image quality, but I would say this - it absolutely alters depending on source material and the production quality of the films your viewing. More in a minute on that. But overall, its a strong and bright image when viewing at night. A TV replacement it absolutely is not though - but then what projector is!. Daytime viewing on an overcast day with curtains closed is do-able, but hardly brilliant. Stick to night time.

Colour is very sketchy indeed. Reds are way over saturated, and general colour I think is overly saturated. I watched ‘star wars the force awakens’, and it almost burnt retinas at some points. Then watching ‘A beautiful mind’ last night, the skin tones were terrible. So, out of the box you need to configure colour - this is the next issue, I can’t. There are custom controls available, but nothing happens. You set it, then save, then resume and nothing has changed in the image. Then when you re-visit the settings, they have reverted back to how they were. And yes, I saved the settings.

Again, no doubt a software issue but its not acceptable. So, you are stuck with colours as they are (unless I have a faulty product, who knows).

Sound - it is EXCELLENT! This is by far the best aspect of the projector and they were very wise to partner with Harman Kardon. The volume that this thing goes to is outstanding - I have it set to half for most films and it easily fills my space with sound (a 5m square room). Also, music playback over spotify and radio listening is mostly good, some music better than others but generally a good balance. The one annoying thing about the speaker though, is that you cannot control it - no ability to control bass or treble, and on some films - i.e more narrative driven, the bass is too heavy and the dialogue gets lost and swamped.

Generally though, if you want a pick up and go projector without the hassle of connecting speakers, I reckon this is currently the best you can get in a package - its super impressive.

I have ordered a set of Raumfeld Stero Cubes to bluetooth up with it, so I will see how they handle. It’s a bit weird having all the sound come at you from the side / rear, so if you’re using this thing more permanently you’re gonna want to pair it up to some speakers.

Oh, just remembered. There were dialogue sync issues when I watched an episode of Top Gear and guess what, you can’t control sync issues with the sound.

Ok, so onto the main issue and the reason I will be returning the projector. The reason I got this device, is the ‘one stop shop’ aspect. I wanted a wire free, fuss free, plug and play experience and having looked at the website I was impressed with the offering. On paper, this thing looked great!

Here is what actually happened. The first thing I did, was download the Netflix app on to the projector via the inbuilt ‘apptoid’ app (which is rubbish by the way, because the remote control is as good as useless navigating menus, totally inconsistent). Because I am a Netflix Ultra HD subscriber, I get a handful of 4k content, but I always have access to HD films and series. On my iPad and macbook pro, Netflix works a treat.

So, looking forward to the same HD quality when logging into the Netflix app on the projector, couldn’t have been more disappointed. Firstly, the interface of Netflix is god awful - not helped by the sketchy remote control, but the U.I is clunky and extremely diluted. There is absolutely no ability to go into your account or change any settings whatsoever. You can basically click through available content and select it, thats it.

When I played Star wars, I could see straight away that the playback was in 720p. Play a trailer on Youtube of the film, the HD one and you get a beautiful 1080p image - the difference between that and the Netflix film is night and day!

My macbook is a mid 2010 model so does not have airplay. No matter, I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 5s - both of which stream Netflix in HD, so I thought to myself; Fine, I’ll just airplay netflix via these devices to the projector - the projector that says it can airplay content. Did it work? No, of course it didn’t. The iPad / phone just said that the content could not be played at this time.

I logged onto the Netlix website, made sure that I had linked my devices - all fine. The projector just refused to airplay Netflix.

Things I discovered. Because the inbuilt operating system is basically mobile Android, you can forget about streaming Netflix in HD - it currently will not happen, period so don’t waste your time thinking you will get the onboard Netflix app playing HD - I tried a work around using the onboard chrome web app to log in to Netflix and change settings to HD, which I could do, but then the videos just would not play through the chrome app, nor could I load in ’super netflix’ app. No Dice, so you have to go back to just using the onboard Netflix app, which is like puling teeth - the video loads up with a black screen every time, so you have to jump forward then back in order for the image to load up and play and the selection process is such a headache with that remote control.

Now this is mostly a Netflix issue granted, they’re extremely annoying in the way they control streamed content, but if XGIMI are selling this device as a HD ready (airplay ready!) device, then they need to make it very clear to customers - customers like me who get most of their content on Netflix, that the onboard Netflix app will not play content above 720p and you can NOT use iOS devices to stream Netflix.

What I can do, is buy an apple TV and plug that in. The apple TV can stream 1080HD from its inbuilt Netflix, but then this defeats the point of buying this projector if I start having to add extra devices in order to get HD.

Side note - HULU app did not work, period. Amazon app did not work, Period. I live in Amsterdam, so have no idea if this is a region issue, but what I have here in is basically a very expensive youtube player. Youtube airplay works ok - not perfect transition and a bit glitchy but it does work and plays HD content fine. The onboard youtube app is a headache to use, again because of the remote control, but the interface is (at least) usable unlike Netflix.

Plugging in a USB - this did not work until I realised that the USB absolutely MUST be PC formatted. Headsup. Getting the projector to read videos stored on my network was a headache so I gave up. Got a video to play (a DVD rip) but the quality was rubbish - I suspect more a problem with how I encoded the rip though.

What I would say is this. If you’re happy to plug devices into this thing - a Roku, Apple TV, blue ray player, I expect you could get really fantastic results.

The main let down of this projector, is that they emphasise the portability and the fact that its at the top of its game when it comes to HD and streaming / connect ability. This simply is not true. I was expecting to be able to get immediate HD content via the onboard apps, and was also expecting a fuss free experience streaming my iOS devices to the projector. Neither of these things happened.

The image quality, certainly having seen 4k youtube content has the potential to be outstanding for a projector at this price, but unless your source material is easy to access I don’t really see the point of this thing. I could get a much cheaper, brighter projector if it means I have to plug stuff into it - granted the H1 has a fantastic bulb life, but at what general performance cost?

In short, if you’re not so fussed about perfect HD quality and want something that you can just use all over the house, with a fantastic on board sound system - plus you have money to burn! This is a projector worth looking at.

For me, I have totally given up on the idea that any manufacturer can deliver a single device solution that can wirelessly stream decent HD, either via onboard apps (Netflix control this output way too much, for instance) or via connected devices. Certainly Air Play is a headache at the best of times.

LG just released that new model at CES with similar specs to the H1, but having used the H1 I expect exactly the same issues with the LG (which will no doubt cost a lot more too). But at least I expect the LG to function a but better - their U.I is award winning and having used it, I can say its a way better experience that the H1.

I have the up to date firmware loaded onto the H1, so who knows if I just have a faulty product, but for €900 I am going to return it and probably just get a Benq w1070 plus apple TV to plug in. The speaker issue I’ll just have to figure out.

Going fully wireless just aint gonna happen at the moment folks.

Hope that helps, if any of you are undecided!

Good luck!
post #59 of 419 Old 01-08-2017, 11:28 AM
NST

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Can you tell me, Kaido, is it possible to feed it a 1080p input at 120hz? Like, from a PC, and over HDMI.

I'm curious because it says "4K" compatible which might allow more bandwidth over HDMI than typical projectors to support higher than 60hz refresh rates.

thx
This is something I want to do before sending mine back. I'm gonna try running my laptop and ipad through it via HDMI and see if I can squeeze HD (at least 1080p) out of it. I think if I forget about it being a 'go to' all in one device, and think of it more as a decent little projector to plug stuff into, I might be able to live with it. Its just a shame that stuff like the Native Netflix is useless and airplay doesnt work with Netflix streaming.

In my review above I might have done it a slight injustice regarding image quality, which is actually fantastic at this price - even projected on my wallpapered wall, it really pops! Certainly testing 4k stuff on youtube, trailers etc...it looks really fantastic. So I reckon if you project on a screen and you have decent sources, you might be super happy with it.

Also, I know rainbow-ing is a personal experience, but I do see it on this device. I wear glasses (long sighted) and i see flashes when I move my eyes all over the image, and its a whole lot worse without my glasses. But this is kind of impossible to judge on a per person basis. You might not see anything.

Final amendment to my review, the issue about colour and saturation. On the remote, I've discovered hidden features if you hold down the menu button. It pops open presets for both sound and image. With sound you can choose 'virtual' (or something like that) that emulates a wider spreadm and its great! Rubbish for bluetooth music, but very cool for movies. With the image settings, there are presets for 'bright, natural' etc.

I switched it to natural and can report that the image is now wayyyyy more balanced. Skin tones and overall colour is 100% better. Still annoying that can't customised RGB settings, but the pre-sets do alter the image settings like they are designed to at least.
post #60 of 419 Old 01-08-2017, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Get a Chromecast for it. I got it for my Z4 as well which has the same issues as the H1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page