10 Things to Consider When Shopping for a Projector - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #61 of 63 Old 05-18-2020, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Lightbulb

Even if this thread has started so long time ago, it is still SO GOOD and USEFUL for anyone that is starting to get into projectors. So MANY THANKS for it!

I for one, I'm not at the beginning, already changed one lamp on one HD projector and got also a second one that does 4K (although by e-shifting) from the same brand (Epson), also with lamp.

But now I was thinking "mingling" here to ask a question:

Why does the producers of those lamp based projectors did not (yet) started to do just a small change, by replacing the bulbs/lamps with LED's?

And until the producers start doing so, can't we do some DIY to get the bulb/lamp replaced with LED's?

I am asking this because I have seen A LOT of LED sources now are available with A LOT of lumens power, and they are even getting smaller and powerful day-by-day almost.
The heat from an LED light source I believe would produce similar or less heat than the bulb/lamp does, and there's already the fan for cooling it down. The power requirements for a LED would be surely less than for the bulb/lamp, so this should not be a problem either (I saw some super bright flashlights which works with batteries, not with mains, so...).

Are there any other reasons than the "business/income" that comes from the bulbs/lams already produced and the factories for them, so ultimately just a "money problem", not an technical one?

So, @Scott Wilkinson and ANYONE else, what's your input on this idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 05-20-2020, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix_ro View Post
Even if this thread has started so long time ago, it is still SO GOOD and USEFUL for anyone that is starting to get into projectors. So MANY THANKS for it!

I for one, I'm not at the beginning, already changed one lamp on one HD projector and got also a second one that does 4K (although by e-shifting) from the same brand (Epson), also with lamp.

But now I was thinking "mingling" here to ask a question:

Why does the producers of those lamp based projectors did not (yet) started to do just a small change, by replacing the bulbs/lamps with LED's?

And until the producers start doing so, can't we do some DIY to get the bulb/lamp replaced with LED's?
?
For motion picture projection is it actually possible to simply swap bulbs as one might do with home lighting? Even At for home lighting I dont find the quality of light to be the same even when corrected for the colour temperature: incandescent bulbs are producing steady light, while LED bulbs are actually flickering on/off at high frequency. So I'd imagine that it's not that simple, as the underlying method of generating lighting is actually different.
post #63 of 63 Old 05-20-2020, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post
For motion picture projection is it actually possible to simply swap bulbs as one might do with home lighting? Even At for home lighting I dont find the quality of light to be the same even when corrected for the colour temperature: incandescent bulbs are producing steady light, while LED bulbs are actually flickering on/off at high frequency. So I'd imagine that it's not that simple, as the underlying method of generating lighting is actually different.
Thanks for your input!

Yet, remember please that there are PLENTY of projectors that already have LED light or even LED Laser light.
And, for sure, I was not reffering to something as simple as changing a bulb for the illumination of the house.
Was thinking of some specific and quality LED lights that are already "out there" which step-by-step, start to replace everything else.

Also, I believe that, if a LED light bulb for home illumination is "flickering", then for sure this one is a cheap one, not done correctly, since as far as I know, no LED light bulb contains ONLY the LED and the power "adapter" for voltage, but also some other electronics that do EXACTLY THAT: adapt the alternating current that we have and use in our houses for illuminating and powering various appliances, to the direct current that is used by LED's. And for sure, any projector has already inside several such adapters, and for sure more performant than the ones in LED bulbs.

Just my thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , recommendations , shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page