Which of these blackout curtains/fabrics is superior? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-30-2016, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Which of these blackout curtains/fabrics is superior?

I bought the blackout cloth from Jo-Ann Fabrics - http://www.joann.com/roc-lon-budget-...e/2117232.html as I was told here, but my buddy told me about this stuff - http://roomdecor.co/blackout-roller-shades/ I was looking for a good way to setup/remove them with ease, these are retractable. Are they just as good as the stuff from Jo-Ann?

Last edited by TomT99; 11-30-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-01-2016, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT99 View Post
I bought the blackout cloth from Jo-Ann Fabrics - http://www.joann.com/roc-lon-budget-...e/2117232.html as I was told here, but my buddy told me about this stuff - http://roomdecor.co/blackout-roller-shades/ I was looking for a good way to setup/remove them with ease, these are retractable. Are they just as good as the stuff from Jo-Ann?
I want to be able to watch movies during the day so I can blast my system

Last edited by TomT99; 07-06-2017 at 12:50 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-01-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Probably should get black on the inside so you don't get reflection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-02-2016, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsong View Post
Do they work just as well?
post #5 of 8 Old 12-02-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Liked: 1255
Blackout shades aren't typically black. They are just 100% light blocking, so no light can penetrate the material. If you have a Joann's near you, go to it and talk to them. The better employees know their stuff.

That said, roller shades are basically made from the same blackout material. They are just fully built up. Typically, good roller shades, whether electric or manual, will be mounted to your window with tracks they go up/down inside. These tracks keep light from getting around the shades and provide 100% light block on the sides and through the material. They are pretty much the top shelf product when it comes to light blocking in any environment.

Combined with dark paint on the walls and ceiling, and dark carpet, light blocking roller shades, in tracks, will provide the most light control.

Now, when talking about pure blackout cloth, like from Joann's, you can get it in various qualities and thicknesses. They may offer colors, maybe not. Blackout cloth is actually designed to typically be sewn to the back of a curtain. So, when you get a lightweight curtain that you like, you can put blackout cloth on the back of it and get light blocking capability. But, it still is a curtain, so unless you have a perfect seal against your window, you will allow light through.

If your intent is to cover your windows, and never open/pull down the curtains, and you just want a permanent cover, then blackout fabric will work fine, but I would look for something that is dark if you can get it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-03-2016, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Blackout shades aren't typically black. They are just 100% light blocking, so no light can penetrate the material. If you have a Joann's near you, go to it and talk to them. The better employees know their stuff.

That said, roller shades are basically made from the same blackout material. They are just fully built up. Typically, good roller shades, whether electric or manual, will be mounted to your window with tracks they go up/down inside. These tracks keep light from getting around the shades and provide 100% light block on the sides and through the material. They are pretty much the top shelf product when it comes to light blocking in any environment.

Combined with dark paint on the walls and ceiling, and dark carpet, light blocking roller shades, in tracks, will provide the most light control.

Now, when talking about pure blackout cloth, like from Joann's, you can get it in various qualities and thicknesses. They may offer colors, maybe not. Blackout cloth is actually designed to typically be sewn to the back of a curtain. So, when you get a lightweight curtain that you like, you can put blackout cloth on the back of it and get light blocking capability. But, it still is a curtain, so unless you have a perfect seal against your window, you will allow light through.

If your intent is to cover your windows, and never open/pull down the curtains, and you just want a permanent cover, then blackout fabric will work fine, but I would look for something that is dark if you can get it.
Where can I get the roller shades w tracks you are describing, and how much?
post #7 of 8 Old 12-03-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Liked: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT99 View Post
Where can I get the roller shades w tracks you are describing, and how much?
They are always built custom, and typically you go through a draperies/shade vendor.

I use some motorized blackout shades from Hunter Douglas and they were like $300/$400 per window or something like that. They were far more standard than motorized roller shades.

Anyway, www.shades.com has them available. Non-motorized are about $150+ depending on window size WITH side channels in a dark color. Motorization adds $400+.

I would probably go to a local shade installation company and see what they can offer you.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-23-2020, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsong View Post
Agreed. Black is less reflective in case of directs daylight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page