Epson 5040UB or should I get the 5040UBe (wiresless) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By am2model3

post #1 of 8 Old 12-01-2016, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Epson 5040UB or should I get the 5040UBe (wiresless)

I have been using an Epson 8700UB projector for a little bit over 5 years now. I recently upgraded my screen painted wall to a 120" silver ticket screen, and it looks even better.

I'm considering the Epson 5400UB as my next projector upgrade, but I'm wondering if I should spring for the UBe (wireless) version.

My current projector hangs in my loft from a ceiling that is 16.5 feet up. The projector hangs down by probably 6-7 feet. So, the run to get to my home theater cabinet (which sides under my screen) is quite far. The installer I used for mounting the projector ran 3 CAT5 (they might be CAT6) runs to the projector. One is partially used for an IR emitter, and another one is used for the HDMI balun. The third run is unused currently.

My concern is getting the 4K signal to the projector, and HDR in particular. I see on Monoprice that there are some reasonably priced 4K HDMI CAT5/6 extenders (the Blackbird series, for example). But from what I gather, these don't support HDR. Also, by the time you factor in the cost of replacing my HDMI balun, the cost difference to jump to the 5040UBe wireless version isn't much more.

I see some scattered information about the Epson wireless transmitter, but it's hard to find a solid review of just the wireless portion.

Some questions I have:
  1. Which modes work? 4K + HDR?
  2. Are there any issues with dropouts using the wireless?
  3. What about latency? Can I use this for gaming?
  4. Will it interfere with my home Wifi? Any other interference issues?

For 4K sources, I have a TiVo Bolt and recently picked up an XBox One S as a cyber Monday deal. These are all fed through a Yamaha RX-A860 receiver (2016 model that supports 4K+HDR).

I have a number of other non-4k sources as well: PS4 (original, not Pro), Apple TV, Wii U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan0751 View Post
I have been using an Epson 8700UB projector for a little bit over 5 years now. I recently upgraded my screen painted wall to a 120" silver ticket screen, and it looks even better.

I'm considering the Epson 5400UB as my next projector upgrade, but I'm wondering if I should spring for the UBe (wireless) version.

My current projector hangs in my loft from a ceiling that is 16.5 feet up. The projector hangs down by probably 6-7 feet. So, the run to get to my home theater cabinet (which sides under my screen) is quite far. The installer I used for mounting the projector ran 3 CAT5 (they might be CAT6) runs to the projector. One is partially used for an IR emitter, and another one is used for the HDMI balun. The third run is unused currently.

My concern is getting the 4K signal to the projector, and HDR in particular. I see on Monoprice that there are some reasonably priced 4K HDMI CAT5/6 extenders (the Blackbird series, for example). But from what I gather, these don't support HDR. Also, by the time you factor in the cost of replacing my HDMI balun, the cost difference to jump to the 5040UBe wireless version isn't much more.

I see some scattered information about the Epson wireless transmitter, but it's hard to find a solid review of just the wireless portion.

Some questions I have:
  1. Which modes work? 4K + HDR?
  2. Are there any issues with dropouts using the wireless?
  3. What about latency? Can I use this for gaming?
  4. Will it interfere with my home Wifi? Any other interference issues?

For 4K sources, I have a TiVo Bolt and recently picked up an XBox One S as a cyber Monday deal. These are all fed through a Yamaha RX-A860 receiver (2016 model that supports 4K+HDR).

I have a number of other non-4k sources as well: PS4 (original, not Pro), Apple TV, Wii U.
there are two other epson 5040 threads and if you search them, talk about 4k and HDR issues and capabilities.

long and short; the UBE wireless will get you some increased capability but not much
post #3 of 8 Old 12-01-2016, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I dug through those threads and there is no concise answers and the information is strewn about in multiple posts.

And I've yet to find answers to the specific questions I have about the wireless capability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-05-2016, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 216
if you only plan to send 4k signals at 24 or 30fps; then this projector will work for you.
If you plan to send 4k @ 60fps, then there are limitations. specifically 2160p/4k @ 4:2:0 8bit.

There is a transmission chart somewhere that clearly shows what the 5040 vs 5040ube transmits.
The UBE wireless allows a 10bit 30fps 4k signal that is a little higher than wired 5040; but that seems to be the only difference.
both wired or wireless are limited by the 5040's input HDMI chip of 10.2gbps. So you can input anything into the projector so long as the video signal does not exceed 10.2gbps.

If I were you; i would keep waiting for an 18gbps solution. Currently those seem to be only the JVC's which have input lag. I'm hoping in a year or two some 18gbps projectors will release.

http://hometheaterreview.com/what-yo...about-hdmi-20/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
AV_Integrated likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-30-2017, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got my UBe set up and I think I am going to have to return it. ALL of my equipment is behind and to the side of the projector. I keep getting dropped signals and can't get more than 30-40% signal strength. After checking the owner's manual, I found that the transmitter is supposed to be in FRONT of the projector, which is not an option for my set up. This seems like a HUGE caveat that was not mentioned on the EPSON website. I figured since it was Wi Fi, that it would work like Wi Fi and cast the signal irrespective of the orientation of the transmitter. Even Bluetooth transmits in all directions.

I am going to contact EPSON tomorrow and see if there is anything that can be done (there is a rear panel on the projector), but if not, then I will be returning the projector and will have to run cabling through my wall somehow. Too bad, great idea, poor execution.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-09-2018, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got the 5040ube. I hooked up the wireless module and it doesnt seem to work. I have the out from the device going to hdmi 1 on my yahama receiver which is 4k ready. I put the out from the receiver to my hdmi 4k slot on the projector. It will not find any of the devices, except the roku which is in the hdmi slot 4 of the wireless module. It only works if i take all of the other hdmi cables out of slot 1-3. I don't get it. So I bypassed it all together and hooked all my devices into the hdmi's on the yamaha receiver and they all work. I just don't get it. Any ideas. I really would like to use this thing since I paid for it>
post #7 of 8 Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Find a way to run an HDMI or Cat 5 to HDMI cable. It will save you a lot of headache even if you cannot cut into wall then get a flat cable and a paint-able thin runner and run it. I played around with wireless HDMI, Big waste of time, Finally did a 35ft HDMI cable run and been happy since. I know it is not always possible but if you can avoid wireless then avoid it.

Gary Pranzo
My Home Theater
post #8 of 8 Old 02-09-2019, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
[QUOTE=
Some questions I have:[LIST=1][*]Which modes work? 4K + HDR?[*]Are there any issues with dropouts using the wireless?[*]What about latency? Can I use this for gaming?[*]Will it interfere with my home Wifi? Any other interference issues?[/LIST]

4K & HDR both work

No drop outs, but slow re-sync every time you change sources or even change channels that are using different resolutions (this is can be irritating when surfing channels on something like a DirecTV or cable box)

Can't help you on the gaming question

No interference in my setup

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page