Vivitek HK2288 - Real 4K DLP home theater projector - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 250Likes

post #1111 of 1127 Old 01-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitagarwal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagameballa View Post
Try aztar35's calibration settings in the hk2299 thread on page 11 I believe and if you have hdr in user mode, you have full cms to play with, try turning magenta down.
Thanks, I'd previously tried those settings and it didn't help anything, but I will try adjusting magenta. The problem is so bad that I'm getting magenta rims around highlights even in the black and white film Roma! Which looks very odd indeed.

Early last year I bought my parents an HK2288 which we've been generally happy with and was the reason for me buying the HK2299 more recently. On their HK2288 I've run both Aztar35's settings and Projector Reviews' settings without any hint of the magenta issue.
There's a total possibility that the fw had a glitch, I'd give jeff at vivitek a call and see what he says. He's a very friendly person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1127 Old 01-09-2019, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I spoke with Jeff today and he was surprised since he said I was on a good firmware.

Here are some shots illustrating the problem:

A completely unrelated issue is that in the darkest shadows I get a strange sloping shape in the lower-right corner. This is not visible in normal content:
post #1113 of 1127 Old 01-13-2019, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitagarwal View Post
I spoke with Jeff today and he was surprised since he said I was on a good firmware.

Here are some shots illustrating the problem:

A completely unrelated issue is that in the darkest shadows I get a strange sloping shape in the lower-right corner. This is not visible in normal content:
I also have the HK2299 refurbished unit. I will have to check the FW info but my understanding is that these refurbished unit had the updated FW. I have not issue with my 35' HDMI cable carrying UHD 60fps from my fire TV through the AVR to the HK2299.

I have seen although 2 issues. One similar to yours. In the dark room with no image or the Vivitek Logo only I have seen bottom right corner of the scree to have some sort of light effect like the image is out of focus on the bottom right corner. I have not seen any issues with playing actual content.

The other issue I have seen is sometimes the image get too bright and bleeding from the edges of objects on the screen. This eventually goes away if I change modes a few times. between night, user or movie etc.
I primarily use night and movie mode as i have it in a dedicated room with no windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 1127 Old 01-13-2019, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey something you guys might want to try that are having sync issues. I have always had issues with shield, ps4 pro etc in 4k with this projector and tried to figure out how to fix it recently.

Doing some testing with different things think I found a solution for my setup. So far I have used PS4 and 4k about 10-20 hours without a single issue, all I did was switch to HDMI Port 2 on the projector I was using the HDMI Port 1.

I've tried switching cables, PS4 directly into the projector without my Yahama receiver and nothing worked but this. So I would highly recommend trying port 2 or 3 on your projectors instead of 1 and running it like that for a few days and see if the sync issues occur. Also make sure you use the best HDMI cables that you can.
sumitagarwal likes this.
post #1115 of 1127 Old 01-24-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vivitek Support - Intermittent Signal Drops

I've been on the forum for a while but never posted. I have the HK2288, which I bought last year at Frys when it went on a promo deal. It's been in my home theater this entire time, however life hit us and we had to use the theater room for other purposes. I've since taken care of that and upgraded my receiver to the Onkyo TX-NR3030 for 11 channel Atmos audio. Realized after the fact that the receiver doesn't like HDR so I purchased the HDFury AVR Key to split the video and audio signals so I could get 4K HDR at the projector. I hooked that up last night and 4K HDR signal was dropping constantly. I downgraded video quality on the XBox One X to 1080p and the signal stayed constant without issue. Anyone think this might be an HDMI cable issue? I did, just today, order the Monoprice SlimRun AV 30ft cable (Don't tell the wife I spent that much on a cable please!!). I'm hoping this resolves the issue since I really want to use the projectors full capabilities along with the audio capabilities of my receiver. I have 7.2.4 setup in the theater and the sound is amazing with Atmos content! Any input would be appreciated, if nothing else...I'll have the new monoprice cable on Saturday and will connect that into the mix to see what happens. I'm hoping for the best since I've now spent an additional 400 bucks on "accessories" to connect everything up!

-Carl in GA
post #1116 of 1127 Old 01-24-2019, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Vannest View Post
I've been on the forum for a while but never posted. I have the HK2288, which I bought last year at Frys when it went on a promo deal. It's been in my home theater this entire time, however life hit us and we had to use the theater room for other purposes. I've since taken care of that and upgraded my receiver to the Onkyo TX-NR3030 for 11 channel Atmos audio. Realized after the fact that the receiver doesn't like HDR so I purchased the HDFury AVR Key to split the video and audio signals so I could get 4K HDR at the projector. I hooked that up last night and 4K HDR signal was dropping constantly. I downgraded video quality on the XBox One X to 1080p and the signal stayed constant without issue. Anyone think this might be an HDMI cable issue? I did, just today, order the Monoprice SlimRun AV 30ft cable (Don't tell the wife I spent that much on a cable please!!). I'm hoping this resolves the issue since I really want to use the projectors full capabilities along with the audio capabilities of my receiver. I have 7.2.4 setup in the theater and the sound is amazing with Atmos content! Any input would be appreciated, if nothing else...I'll have the new monoprice cable on Saturday and will connect that into the mix to see what happens. I'm hoping for the best since I've now spent an additional 400 bucks on "accessories" to connect everything up!

-Carl in GA
that most likely will solve your issues. hdmi cables are pian in the butt. the monoprice one you got is also one of the like 3 on arrow av test of hdmi cables that passed 100% all 4k hdr signals along with the one i got the ruipro cable.the test report of hdmi is in his signature if want check it out . I had same issue with my vivitek hk2299 and i had a bend in mine that was causing issues when straightened it out some so wasnt 90 degree bend it helped but still dropped out some. The i replaced it with the 15 meter ruipro cable and poof all dropouts gone, no more issues.
this is my cable https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...l#post52755273
hopefully once you get it swapped out it will be all set.
post #1117 of 1127 Old 01-25-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipdougal View Post
Hey something you guys might want to try that are having sync issues. I have always had issues with shield, ps4 pro etc in 4k with this projector and tried to figure out how to fix it recently.

Doing some testing with different things think I found a solution for my setup. So far I have used PS4 and 4k about 10-20 hours without a single issue, all I did was switch to HDMI Port 2 on the projector I was using the HDMI Port 1.

I've tried switching cables, PS4 directly into the projector without my Yahama receiver and nothing worked but this. So I would highly recommend trying port 2 or 3 on your projectors instead of 1 and running it like that for a few days and see if the sync issues occur. Also make sure you use the best HDMI cables that you can.
HDMI 1 in on my HK2288 doesn't work at all anymore. I switched to HDMI 2 a while ago...works great now!
post #1118 of 1127 Old 01-25-2019, 02:57 PM

golden78, Thanks for the note! I bought the Monoprice cable based on the Arrow report I found on this forum. I hated spending that much on a cable but if it makes the $12k investment I have in the rest of my equipment sing like a bunch of choir boys on inauguration day then so be it!
post #1119 of 1127 Old 04-20-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
4K HDR pictures

I finally took some pictures to show the 4K picture quality of this projector. With a Roku stick, connections to Netflix are now fast and stable and 4K and HDR are recognized and automatically switched to HDR. My settings are from Projectorreviews, dark room on a 120 “ white 1.0 screen. I used DVS UltraHD/HDR-10 Test Pattern Suite (Ryan Masciola?) for grey scale adjustment etc.
The pictures are from the pattern suite and from Planet Earth in 4K HDR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DVS Pattern Suite.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	2555886   Click image for larger version

Name:	DVS Pattern Suite 1 .JPG
Views:	107
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	2555888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chameleon 1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2555890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chameleon 2.JPG
Views:	99
ID:	2555892   Click image for larger version

Name:	crab.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	2555894  

Name:	iguana 1.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	2555896   Click image for larger version

Name:	iguana 2.JPG
Views:	72
ID:	2555898   Click image for larger version

Name:	lava lake 1.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	2555900   Click image for larger version

Name:	lava lake 2.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	2555902   Click image for larger version

Name:	lemur 1.JPG
Views:	58
ID:	2555910  

Name:	penguin.JPG
Views:	62
ID:	2555912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leopard.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	2555914  
post #1120 of 1127 Old 05-15-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 436
This is an interesting and actually quite favourable review of the HK-2288:

post #1121 of 1127 Old 05-28-2019, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Looks as if Vivitek is reacting to BenQs competition.

Otherwise I'd like to learn about their upcoming, new UHD front projectors.

https://www.vivitekusa.com/category/Home-Theater-CEDIA/

Currently, Vivitek only offers the HK2299 in the US and the (FullHD) H1188 whose supplies, AFAIK, are steadily deteriorating.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by teachsac; 05-28-2019 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Price talk
post #1122 of 1127 Old 05-28-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Looks as if Vivitek is reacting to BenQs competition.

Otherwise I'd like to learn about their upcoming, new UHD front projectors.

https://www.vivitekusa.com/category/Home-Theater-CEDIA/

Currently, Vivitek only offers the HK2299 in the US and the (FullHD) H1188 whose supplies, AFAIK, are steadily deteriorating.
Thanks for the link.
Hoping that more makers get into the mid to high end 4K DLP market. The competion will hopefully light a fire under Benq.
I've been waiting since 2012 for a full featured (powered lens controls) 4K DLP. Sony, JVC and Epson have had powered controls (and lens memory) standard for years now. I get it that DLP will always lose the contrast battle, but they have an inherent sharpness edge. I'm not sure why they have focused (HT humor) on stripped down, entry level, machines. Sharp had powered lens controls back in 2010. How hard can it be to add this to DLP projectors? I even emailed Benq CS to inquire about it, but never heard from them...
Rant over
Frank714 likes this.
post #1123 of 1127 Old 08-26-2019, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
It looks like Vivitek will present a new 4K XPR front projector "at the end of the year" (according to kraine), i.e. CES in January 2020, with an improved, new DMD:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58469004

As Vivitek has a UST front projector in their pipeline, I asked kraine if that's just going to be that UST front projector but he responded it's a traditional front projector.

Couldn't help but notice that during the Chinese Infocomm event from last month, what looks like the white "Legacy HK2288" on a pedestal could perhaps be that new model. Unfortunately there are no close-ups of the annotation cards next to the front projectors, so this is just wild speculation on my part.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vivitek InfoComm China 2019.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	2607252  

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 08-26-2019 at 03:26 AM.
post #1124 of 1127 Old 11-10-2019, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Folks,
What is the latest FW version for the 2299? TIA, -J
post #1125 of 1127 Old 12-01-2019, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I feel this is IMPORTANT info…So much so, I decided to try to get the word out to my fellow HK2288 owners.
SPOILER: Newer Panasonic UB420 DVD player make a huge difference!

I have been generally happy with the performance of my HK2288 and my Sony UBP-X800 disc player,but there have been some glitches including some 4K HRD discs were very difficult to properly display…too dark, faded images, general synch and synch delay issues, all the common issues so many have complained about. Even when I think I’ve got adjustments tuned and synched in, some blue ray 4K HRD titles were annoyingly darker that I thought they should be..
For grins, was scanning the web for any HK228s news.
Came across a recent positive review of our projector;

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...E531&FORM=VIRE

and buried in that review was mention of the “ Panasonic UB 820 with it’s HRD optimizer” as making a significant difference in the performance of this projector. Little more surfing to find that the UB820 was no less than $400…too much for my blood, after all, wasn’t the Sony UBP-X800 I bought about 2 years ago good enough?
More web research, and I discovered that the newer Panasonic UB 420 has the same “HRD Optimizer” and video processing as it’s big sibling, and at only $150 at Best Buy and other retailers. What the heck?
If there was not major improvement, I could return it, right?

BOTTOM LINE: That “HRD Optimizer” video processing with a specific projector setting work fantastic! This player takes the HK2288 to a new level of picture performance, a quantum step brighter HRD content and fewer synch delays and issues. Standard 4k looks even better, too! WOW! Wish I knew about this Panasonic 4K HRD player earlier! Very glad I got it!
DunMunro likes this.
post #1126 of 1127 Old 12-01-2019, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman00 View Post
Folks,
What is the latest FW version for the 2299? TIA, -J
On my 1 year old refurbished unit
MSC021b