Projector, speaker and streaming device connections - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-04-2017, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector, speaker and streaming device connections

How to connect the HDMI from my streaming device to both the projector and speaker? Do I have to use a receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 552
What projector do you have? Are the speakers passive or powered ? Yes generally you need a AVR with a projector to get any kind of decent audio.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 8 Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Your PJ probably had an audio output you could use with some 2.1 systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-05-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 1194
You can't... Better give up.

Really, you need to provide everyone with the make and model of ALL the equipment you intend to use.

Roku Premiere Pro and Chromecast (stick) aren't even close to the same. A cheap set of PC speakers and a Onkyo HTiB aren't the same, and a cheap entry level projector without any audio and a BenQ HT2050 with audio outputs aren't the same.

So, make/model of all equipment you intend to use, and then you can get some real answers about what you have right now.

Long term, in a decent home theater setup, most people use an AV Receiver from Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, or others (many good ones), and pair it with a 5.1 (or better) audio system. All sources hook up to the A/V receiver, and one HDMI cable runs from the A/V receiver to the projector to feed it video. And, while that may be standard, it isn't at all required. You can also plug the 1/8" stereo jack from some cheap PC speakers into the back of a BenQ HT2050, plug your Chromecast into the BenQ, and call it done.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-05-2017, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Epson 5040, FireTV and Vizio sb3851d0.
FireTV connects HDMI directly to Epson and bluetooth pair with Vizio sound bar.
I just want to have a lightweight setup. Will this work?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 1194
According to the spec sheet for the Vizio, it has a HDMI input connection right on the sound bar and a HDMI output from the sound bar.

You should plug the FireTV directly into the sound bar and run HDMI out of the sound bar to the projector. This will give the best video and the best audio quality.

It does appear the Amazon Fire and the speaker support Bluetooth which means that the two should be able to pair and play audio back as well, but this will not be at the same quality level as plugging the Fire TV directly into the sound bar.

I'm not sure if you are setting this up and breaking it down all the time or what. Most home theater installations go for quality and are permanently installed, so 'lightweight setup' isn't a typical concern, but that sound bar has some decent connectivity in it and should work fine just as you described it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-29-2019, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

From what I’m reading above, I have an Epson projector and just purchased a vizio 5.1 home theater sound bar. My current set up is :

Firestick connected in projector and Bluetoothng Firestick to vizio sound bar. Doesn’t sound the worse but I feel it can be better. I have also noticed a lag with the audio being projected.

From my understanding to eliminate this I should be able to plug the Firestick directly into the sound bar the run an hdmi cable from the sound bar through the attic and plug it into my projector which is behind me to hide the cables.

Would this help eliminate the lag and also give me the best quality sound that can be produced from the sound bar?

Ant and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
post #8 of 8 Old 07-30-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Projectors and sound bars make very poor combos. If the sound bar has HDMI in, many don't , then it should work. Long HDMI cable runs can also be problematic so make sure its a good quality one and note just because it's expensive doesn't necessarily mean its good quality. AVR's work so much better and can be simple at first and slowly upgraded. Used AVR's are dirt cheap if they don't support 4K.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page