Optoma UHD60 4K HDR Projector at CES 2017 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 171Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 380 Old 01-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyronaut View Post
I had given up hopes of a UHD projector being in my price range any time soon with announcements being mostly in the 10k range. and was really leaning towards a UHDTV until projector prices fell significantly. Then I saw the announcement this model. The fact that it has 3D made it all the more sweet. I had already begun thinking of how I could justify this purchase to myself, but then I saw that it doesn't have WCG. Deal breaker for me unfortunately. :-(

I guess I'll have to stick with my 1080p 3D projector for a little while longer.
Do any projectors have WCG?
unknownbeef is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 380 Old 01-10-2017, 08:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Evan201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownbeef View Post
Do any projectors have WCG?
Doesn't the 5040ub / 6040ub accept bt2020 with the philips 7501?

It downgrades the HDR to SDR, but at least you get bt2020 from what i hear.
Evan201 is offline  
post #63 of 380 Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan201 View Post
Doesn't the 5040ub / 6040ub accept bt2020 with the philips 7501?

It downgrades the HDR to SDR, but at least you get bt2020 from what i hear.
The owner's thread for that projector spells out so many known issues that I decided against getting it, personally. For $1000 more, you can get a JVC-RS400.
unknownbeef is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 380 Old 01-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Evan201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 188
If they were the same price it may be a toss up but let me ask your opinion.
My room isnt light controlled and the epson is 2500lumens. I also have a cinegrey 5d screen.
With my setup, which should I go with?
Evan201 is offline  
post #65 of 380 Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
latreche34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Baja, California Mexico 965392
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
This is not a true 4k projector, but rather the "Faux-k" pixel shifting sort like JVC's e-shift. I'm a fan, don't get me wrong, I own a JVC RS500 and think it's great. I just wanted to be clear that this isn't the full 4k image (which we don't seem to need anyway).
A.K.A 2160i ....lol
latreche34 is offline  
post #66 of 380 Old 01-11-2017, 02:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 125
2160o
TheronB is offline  
post #67 of 380 Old 01-11-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,368
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #68 of 380 Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
A.K.A 2160i ....lol
Kind of... in a way... but the horizontal is "interlaced" too. Not a really accurate way to characterize what is going on, though.
erkq is offline  
post #69 of 380 Old 01-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
latreche34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Baja, California Mexico 965392
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Kind of... in a way... but the horizontal is "interlaced" too. Not a really accurate way to characterize what is going on, though.
Yah I know I was just joking, You can call it UHDi or 4Ki then.
latreche34 is offline  
post #70 of 380 Old 01-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 125
That's why it's 2160o, duh.
TheronB is offline  
post #71 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 08:43 AM
Member
 
russellhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Out of interest I just asked Optoma UK the question about 3d on facebook, they just said:

"Optoma UK Hi. We will unveil our 4K models at ISE next month. We can then share full specs and launch dates then Thanks"

If this support 3d and if it supports 120Hz input it would probably be an instant buy for me.
HeadSpace10 likes this.
russellhk is offline  
post #72 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NE USA
Posts: 6,415
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Same here... if 3D is indeed included, definitely buying one.
HeadSpace10 likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is offline  
post #73 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Member
 
cchrono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I find it odd that there is no mention of horizontal lens shift. I wonder of its included
cchrono is offline  
post #74 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Not 2160i, not "faux-K", not 4Ki/UHDi - lets not confuse things further

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Yah I know I was just joking, You can call it UHDi or 4Ki then.
I think that this is silly - a distinction without a difference?

By your same reasoning, as others have pointed out, then you should also call this projector *monochromatic*?!!
As using a colour wheel, it's only ever displaying that single colour at one time.

Same goes with pixels!
This projector, as far as the eye is concerned (speed, think colour wheel) is displaying ALL DISTINCT 4K (well...UHD) worth of pixels.

It's NOT the same as a pixel shift which is effectively utilizing 1/2 the resolution.

Calling this anything but UHD is a distinction without a difference and serves no purpose...other than perhaps for confusion to be utilized by the marketing departments of actual "faux-K" projector tech.
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
DougGm1 is offline  
post #75 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Day 1 purchase!

Under $3K = hard to believe!

I suspect Optoma is going to reinvigorate projector interest with this model.
Same/similar price point as when decent 1080p projectors hit the market, with mass appeal. Competitive with 4K TVs, incredibly so when comparing the size of screen potential.

HDR -
Very happy to learn it will support HDR. As the public's becoming more aware HDR, and even studios are touting this with movie releases, we'll see more demand for HDR. We're getting to a point now with resolution where HDR and colour range will start to become differentiators that public will recognize/demand.

3D -
It seems that this will support 3D for 1080p content. I really hope that that is the case. Understand that some (many?) don't care about 3D, but for those of us who do ...being faced with having to keep 2x projectors installed or wait until a single projector supports both - I suspect many would rather wait.

Latency (gaming) -
Will be interesting to see how the latency is, as I'm confident that a meaningful % of those interested in this will consider at least some use for gaming.

Sure there are some bells & whistles & this won't be the be-all-end-all for all projector enthusiasts. But for those with more modest budgets (who can't/won't spend several/many tens-of-thousdands+) - the projector offers enough at this price point to be a winner.

Lastly - if this projector lives up to its potential, it should really put pressure on other manufacturers to lower prices/bring out competitive products for this sub-$3K price range.

2017 is going to be a great year for 4K/UHD projectors!
DougGm1 is offline  
post #76 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGm1 View Post
I think that this is silly - a distinction without a difference?

By your same reasoning, as others have pointed out, then you should also call this projector *monochromatic*?!!
As using a colour wheel, it's only ever displaying that single colour at one time.

Same goes with pixels!
This projector, as far as the eye is concerned (speed, think colour wheel) is displaying ALL DISTINCT 4K (well...UHD) worth of pixels.

It's NOT the same as a pixel shift which is effectively utilizing 1/2 the resolution.

Calling this anything but UHD is a distinction without a difference and serves no purpose...other than perhaps for confusion to be utilized by the marketing departments of actual "faux-K" projector tech.
Wrong...

This is pixel shifting. The only difference is the TI chips are starting with more pixels. Neither is showing true 4K resolution, but most PJs don't have lenses capable of displaying 4K properly anyways.
TheronB is offline  
post #77 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Lonely Surfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGm1 View Post
Day 1 purchase!

Under $3K = hard to believe!

I suspect Optoma is going to reinvigorate projector interest with this model.
Same/similar price point as when decent 1080p projectors hit the market, with mass appeal. Competitive with 4K TVs, incredibly so when comparing the size of screen potential.

HDR -
Very happy to learn it will support HDR. As the public's becoming more aware HDR, and even studios are touting this with movie releases, we'll see more demand for HDR. We're getting to a point now with resolution where HDR and colour range will start to become differentiators that public will recognize/demand.

3D -
It seems that this will support 3D for 1080p content. I really hope that that is the case. Understand that some (many?) don't care about 3D, but for those of us who do ...being faced with having to keep 2x projectors installed or wait until a single projector supports both - I suspect many would rather wait.

Latency (gaming) -
Will be interesting to see how the latency is, as I'm confident that a meaningful % of those interested in this will consider at least some use for gaming.

Sure there are some bells & whistles & this won't be the be-all-end-all for all projector enthusiasts. But for those with more modest budgets (who can't/won't spend several/many tens-of-thousdands+) - the projector offers enough at this price point to be a winner.

Lastly - if this projector lives up to its potential, it should really put pressure on other manufacturers to lower prices/bring out competitive products for this sub-$3K price range.

2017 is going to be a great year for 4K/UHD projectors!
Almost ten years ago I got my Optoma HD80, one of the first 1080p projectors. It still works great. I have been waiting to upgrade and this new one may be it, or the UHD65 later in the year. I, too, hope they have 3D capabilities.
robdman and RLBURNSIDE like this.
Lonely Surfer is offline  
post #78 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,487
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGm1 View Post
Day 1 purchase!

Under $3K = hard to believe!

I suspect Optoma is going to reinvigorate projector interest with this model.
Same/similar price point as when decent 1080p projectors hit the market, with mass appeal. Competitive with 4K TVs, incredibly so when comparing the size of screen potential.

HDR -
Very happy to learn it will support HDR. As the public's becoming more aware HDR, and even studios are touting this with movie releases, we'll see more demand for HDR. We're getting to a point now with resolution where HDR and colour range will start to become differentiators that public will recognize/demand.

3D -
It seems that this will support 3D for 1080p content. I really hope that that is the case. Understand that some (many?) don't care about 3D, but for those of us who do ...being faced with having to keep 2x projectors installed or wait until a single projector supports both - I suspect many would rather wait.

Latency (gaming) -
Will be interesting to see how the latency is, as I'm confident that a meaningful % of those interested in this will consider at least some use for gaming.

Sure there are some bells & whistles & this won't be the be-all-end-all for all projector enthusiasts. But for those with more modest budgets (who can't/won't spend several/many tens-of-thousdands+) - the projector offers enough at this price point to be a winner.

Lastly - if this projector lives up to its potential, it should really put pressure on other manufacturers to lower prices/bring out competitive products for this sub-$3K price range.

2017 is going to be a great year for 4K/UHD projectors!
What about powered lens controls and lens memory? Are there any of the new TI chip based machines coming with lens memory? It's a must have for our cathedral ceiling mount...
humbland is offline  
post #79 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 06:14 AM
Senior Member
 
JamesVG81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Winston Salem NC
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Really hope this has lens memory. Have a scope screen. If so day one buy for me. Finally upgrade my Epson 5030ube. Really hope the contrast is at least close to my current projector or better.
JamesVG81 is offline  
post #80 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 3,324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post
Really hope this has lens memory. Have a scope screen. If so day one buy for me. Finally upgrade my Epson 5030ube. Really hope the contrast is at least close to my current projector or better.
It's a dark chip3 dmd. Why would you think it was any better than the other dark chip 3 projectors on the market?
Verge2 is offline  
post #81 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 09:43 AM
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,901
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
It's a dark chip3 dmd. Why would you think it was any better than the other dark chip 3 projectors on the market?
Being a huge HDR proponent, I'm more interested in how the HDR performance is, given the superior ANSI contrast of DLPs. This one apparently has 500:1.

Also, this Optoma has 50% more lumens than the lowest end 2017 JVC (RS420?), so that should also help with HDR perf. If you can't get as good blacks, then get higher peak whites. Reading the reviews of the other Faux-K DLPs in terms of HDR performance, they seem to be up there with the best available.

And as awesome as JVC's on/off contrast is, I do somewhat agree with the assertion that ANSI contrast matters just as much if not more because it's related I'd love to see both side by side in a variety of scenes and in a controlled environment.

Here is a review showing from the excellent Anna and Flo:

"Before calibration every mode was measuring an ON-OFF contrast of about 13500:1 with Zoom Max / Iris closed. A bit of contrast got loss through the calibration process.

In our optimized room we measured at the screen a modified ANSI contrast value of 235:1 (for 50% ADL). At the lens, the modified ANSI contrast value reaches 257:1. The older JVC DLA-X500 showed similar results.

The ANSI contrast tells you, how good a projector can display black next to white. The JVC DLA-X5000’s ANSI contrast is good, but not the best. That is why we were able to see vertical streaking in the black parts above and below the white squares of our contrast patterns as you can see on the image below. This behavior is common for projectors with a very high on-off contrast. Luckily it is not visible in a movie, except on white writings on black background."


DLPs seems to have 2X as good ANSI contrast as JVCs. This figure is even more crucial in HDR apparently.

A similar argument can be made regarding FALD LCD performance for HDR vs OLED, given superior peak nits translates to higher dynamic range and more image "pop" which even entry level DLPs are known for. I'm still amazed at how good my w1070's image is, and I have no doubt that it would look better with a firmware to add HDR10. There is literally no reason you couldn't modify the signal handling curves on any DLP to support HDR10. They even handle 10-bit natively.
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
post #82 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 AM
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,901
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Surfer View Post
Almost ten years ago I got my Optoma HD80, one of the first 1080p projectors. It still works great. I have been waiting to upgrade and this new one may be it, or the UHD65 later in the year. I, too, hope they have 3D capabilities.
I'm also very interested in the UHD65 for WCG, and have been waiting patiently five years for something worth upgrading to from my w1070. I'm building up a UHD Bluray collection (only have 2 so far) and want to be ready to rock as soon as I get it.
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
post #83 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
Eternal_Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Is the UHD65 another announced Optoma projector? If so, where to find info about it?
Eternal_Sunshine is offline  
post #84 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I want more tech spec details! i hope its 18gbps and not 10.2gpbs
Tweakophyte and RLBURNSIDE like this.
am2model3 is offline  
post #85 of 380 Old 01-14-2017, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,698
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5225 Post(s)
Liked: 5460
decent ANSI will be somewhat irrelevant if the native ends up in the 1200:1 range as already seen on the much more expensive BenQ and Acer UHD models with this DMD. That well below average level of native is a deal breaker in a well setup room.

Also those models claimed decent lumen output but end up with 1200-1400 D65 lumens with BC off / on respectively, not encouraging for HDR use. Let's see what the claimed 3000 lumens ends up with after a calibration, it's likely going to be significantly less.

in addition, neither of the big brother projectors based on this new DMD have 3D which is sacrilege for a DLP projector. I only see a vague rumor it might have 3D but no mention in any of the press releases. We need to see a back photo of the new model to see if they excluded the 3 PIN VESA port.
zombie10k is offline  
post #86 of 380 Old 01-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'm super excited for this! I'm right on the fence of the epson 5040/6040 due to the HDR limitations. Can't wait for additional tech specs to see if this is a better fit.
Rob Simkow is offline  
post #87 of 380 Old 01-15-2017, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aaranddeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lover's State
Posts: 4,079
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
I'm aware, if you look at the cine4home screenshots compared to the epson shift anyway, it's night and day better. Not as good as a real 4k sony, but decently close.
IMHO, the Epson pictures there looks sabotaged (intentionally or un-intentionally).
I mean come on, those Epson shots look awfully out of focus. It looks 1000 times better than those in reality.
aaranddeeman is offline  
post #88 of 380 Old 01-15-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 3,324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
IMHO, the Epson pictures there looks sabotaged (intentionally or un-intentionally).
I mean come on, those Epson shots look awfully out of focus. It looks 1000 times better than those in reality.
You can see the pixel structure. Explain how that's out of focus lol. People just need to admit, it's a 1080p projector
Verge2 is offline  
post #89 of 380 Old 01-15-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aaranddeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lover's State
Posts: 4,079
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
You can see the pixel structure. Explain how that's out of focus lol. People just need to admit, it's a 1080p projector
Yeah right. You can see the pixel structure from the lousy camera phone picture.
I am not saying Epson is not 1080P, just saying the picture is way too bad the way it is presented. Completely misleading.
aaranddeeman is offline  
post #90 of 380 Old 01-15-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 3,324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Yeah right. You can see the pixel structure from the lousy camera phone picture.
I am not saying Epson is not 1080P, just saying the picture is way too bad the way it is presented. Completely misleading.

It's not a great picture but that projector is 100% not out of focus. These dlps are night and day better.
Verge2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
ces 2017 , hdr , Optoma , uhd60

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off