Optoma UHD60 4K HDR Projector at CES 2017 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 171Likes

post #61 of 380 Old 01-10-2017, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyronaut View Post
I had given up hopes of a UHD projector being in my price range any time soon with announcements being mostly in the 10k range. and was really leaning towards a UHDTV until projector prices fell significantly. Then I saw the announcement this model. The fact that it has 3D made it all the more sweet. I had already begun thinking of how I could justify this purchase to myself, but then I saw that it doesn't have WCG. Deal breaker for me unfortunately. :-(

I guess I'll have to stick with my 1080p 3D projector for a little while longer.
Do any projectors have WCG?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 380 Old 01-10-2017, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownbeef View Post
Do any projectors have WCG?
Doesn't the 5040ub / 6040ub accept bt2020 with the philips 7501?

It downgrades the HDR to SDR, but at least you get bt2020 from what i hear.
post #63 of 380 Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan201 View Post
Doesn't the 5040ub / 6040ub accept bt2020 with the philips 7501?

It downgrades the HDR to SDR, but at least you get bt2020 from what i hear.
The owner's thread for that projector spells out so many known issues that I decided against getting it, personally. For $1000 more, you can get a JVC-RS400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 380 Old 01-10-2017, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 188
If they were the same price it may be a toss up but let me ask your opinion.
My room isnt light controlled and the epson is 2500lumens. I also have a cinegrey 5d screen.
With my setup, which should I go with?
post #65 of 380 Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
This is not a true 4k projector, but rather the "Faux-k" pixel shifting sort like JVC's e-shift. I'm a fan, don't get me wrong, I own a JVC RS500 and think it's great. I just wanted to be clear that this isn't the full 4k image (which we don't seem to need anyway).
A.K.A 2160i ....lol
post #66 of 380 Old 01-11-2017, 02:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 125
2160o
post #67 of 380 Old 01-11-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
post #68 of 380 Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
A.K.A 2160i ....lol
Kind of... in a way... but the horizontal is "interlaced" too. Not a really accurate way to characterize what is going on, though.
post #69 of 380 Old 01-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Kind of... in a way... but the horizontal is "interlaced" too. Not a really accurate way to characterize what is going on, though.
Yah I know I was just joking, You can call it UHDi or 4Ki then.
post #70 of 380 Old 01-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

That's why it's 2160o, duh.
post #71 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Out of interest I just asked Optoma UK the question about 3d on facebook, they just said:

"Optoma UK Hi. We will unveil our 4K models at ISE next month. We can then share full specs and launch dates then Thanks"

If this support 3d and if it supports 120Hz input it would probably be an instant buy for me.
HeadSpace10 likes this.
post #72 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Same here... if 3D is indeed included, definitely buying one.
HeadSpace10 likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #73 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I find it odd that there is no mention of horizontal lens shift. I wonder of its included
post #74 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Not 2160i, not "faux-K", not 4Ki/UHDi - lets not confuse things further

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Yah I know I was just joking, You can call it UHDi or 4Ki then.
I think that this is silly - a distinction without a difference?

By your same reasoning, as others have pointed out, then you should also call this projector *monochromatic*?!!
As using a colour wheel, it's only ever displaying that single colour at one time.

Same goes with pixels!
This projector, as far as the eye is concerned (speed, think colour wheel) is displaying ALL DISTINCT 4K (well...UHD) worth of pixels.

It's NOT the same as a pixel shift which is effectively utilizing 1/2 the resolution.

Calling this anything but UHD is a distinction without a difference and serves no purpose...other than perhaps for confusion to be utilized by the marketing departments of actual "faux-K" projector tech.
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
post #75 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 03:46 PM

Liked: 1
Day 1 purchase!

Under $3K = hard to believe!

I suspect Optoma is going to reinvigorate projector interest with this model.
Same/similar price point as when decent 1080p projectors hit the market, with mass appeal. Competitive with 4K TVs, incredibly so when comparing the size of screen potential.

HDR -
Very happy to learn it will support HDR. As the public's becoming more aware HDR, and even studios are touting this with movie releases, we'll see more demand for HDR. We're getting to a point now with resolution where HDR and colour range will start to become differentiators that public will recognize/demand.

3D -
It seems that this will support 3D for 1080p content. I really hope that that is the case. Understand that some (many?) don't care about 3D, but for those of us who do ...being faced with having to keep 2x projectors installed or wait until a single projector supports both - I suspect many would rather wait.

Latency (gaming) -
Will be interesting to see how the latency is, as I'm confident that a meaningful % of those interested in this will consider at least some use for gaming.

Sure there are some bells & whistles & this won't be the be-all-end-all for all projector enthusiasts. But for those with more modest budgets (who can't/won't spend several/many tens-of-thousdands+) - the projector offers enough at this price point to be a winner.

Lastly - if this projector lives up to its potential, it should really put pressure on other manufacturers to lower prices/bring out competitive products for this sub-$3K price range.

2017 is going to be a great year for 4K/UHD projectors!
post #76 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGm1 View Post
I think that this is silly - a distinction without a difference?

By your same reasoning, as others have pointed out, then you should also call this projector *monochromatic*?!!
As using a colour wheel, it's only ever displaying that single colour at one time.

Same goes with pixels!
This projector, as far as the eye is concerned (speed, think colour wheel) is displaying ALL DISTINCT 4K (well...UHD) worth of pixels.

It's NOT the same as a pixel shift which is effectively utilizing 1/2 the resolution.

Calling this anything but UHD is a distinction without a difference and serves no purpose...other than perhaps for confusion to be utilized by the marketing departments of actual "faux-K" projector tech.
Wrong...

This is pixel shifting. The only difference is the TI chips are starting with more pixels. Neither is showing true 4K resolution, but most PJs don't have lenses capable of displaying 4K properly anyways.
post #77 of 380 Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Day 1 purchase!

Same/similar price point as when decent 1080p projectors hit the market, with mass appeal. Competitive with 4K TVs, incredibly so when comparing the size of screen potential.

HDR -
Very happy to learn it will support HDR. As the public's becoming more aware HDR, and even studios are touting this with movie releases, we'll see more demand for HDR. We're getting to a point now with resolution where HDR and colour range will start to become differentiators that public will recognize/demand.

3D -
It seems that this will support 3D for 1080p content. I really hope that that is the case. Understand that some (many?) don't care about 3D, but for those of us who do ...being faced with having to keep 2x projectors installed or wait until a single projector supports both - I suspect many would rather wait.

Latency (gaming) -
Will be interesting to see how the latency is, as I'm confident that a meaningful % of those interested in this will consider at least some use for gaming.

Sure there are some bells & whistles & this won't be the be-all-end-all for all projector enthusiasts. But for those with more modest budgets (who can't/won't spend several/many tens-of-thousdands+) - the projector offers enough at this price point to be a winner.

Lastly - if this projector lives up to its potential, it should really put pressure on other manufacturers to lower prices/bring out competitive products for this sub-$3K price range.

Almost ten years ago I got my Optoma HD80, one of the first 1080p projectors. It still works great. I have been waiting to upgrade and this new one may be it, or the UHD65 later in the year. I, too, hope they have 3D capabilities.
robdman and RLBURNSIDE like this.
post #78 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Day 1 purchase!

HDR -

3D -

Latency (gaming) -

What about powered lens controls and lens memory? Are there any of the new TI chip based machines coming with lens memory? It's a must have for our cathedral ceiling mount...
post #79 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Really hope this has lens memory. Have a scope screen. If so day one buy for me. Finally upgrade my Epson 5030ube. Really hope the contrast is at least close to my current projector or better.
post #80 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post
Really hope this has lens memory. Have a scope screen. If so day one buy for me. Finally upgrade my Epson 5030ube. Really hope the contrast is at least close to my current projector or better.
It's a dark chip3 dmd. Why would you think it was any better than the other dark chip 3 projectors on the market?
post #81 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
It's a dark chip3 dmd. Why would you think it was any better than the other dark chip 3 projectors on the market?
Being a huge HDR proponent, I'm more interested in how the HDR performance is, given the superior ANSI contrast of DLPs. This one apparently has 500:1.

Also, this Optoma has 50% more lumens than the lowest end 2017 JVC (RS420?), so that should also help with HDR perf. If you can't get as good blacks, then get higher peak whites. Reading the reviews of the other Faux-K DLPs in terms of HDR performance, they seem to be up there with the best available.

And as awesome as JVC's on/off contrast is, I do somewhat agree with the assertion that ANSI contrast matters just as much if not more because it's related I'd love to see both side by side in a variety of scenes and in a controlled environment.

Here is a review showing from the excellent Anna and Flo:

"Before calibration every mode was measuring an ON-OFF contrast of about 13500:1 with Zoom Max / Iris closed. A bit of contrast got loss through the calibration process.

In our optimized room we measured at the screen a modified ANSI contrast value of 235:1 (for 50% ADL). At the lens, the modified ANSI contrast value reaches 257:1. The older JVC DLA-X500 showed similar results.

The ANSI contrast tells you, how good a projector can display black next to white. The JVC DLA-X5000’s ANSI contrast is good, but not the best. That is why we were able to see vertical streaking in the black parts above and below the white squares of our contrast patterns as you can see on the image below. This behavior is common for projectors with a very high on-off contrast. Luckily it is not visible in a movie, except on white writings on black background."

DLPs seems to have 2X as good ANSI contrast as JVCs. This figure is even more crucial in HDR apparently.

A similar argument can be made regarding FALD LCD performance for HDR vs OLED, given superior peak nits translates to higher dynamic range and more image "pop" which even entry level DLPs are known for. I'm still amazed at how good my w1070's image is, and I have no doubt that it would look better with a firmware to add HDR10. There is literally no reason you couldn't modify the signal handling curves on any DLP to support HDR10. They even handle 10-bit natively.
post #82 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Surfer View Post
Almost ten years ago I got my Optoma HD80, one of the first 1080p projectors. It still works great. I have been waiting to upgrade and this new one may be it, or the UHD65 later in the year. I, too, hope they have 3D capabilities.
I'm also very interested in the UHD65 for WCG, and have been waiting patiently five years for something worth upgrading to from my w1070. I'm building up a UHD Bluray collection (only have 2 so far) and want to be ready to rock as soon as I get it.
post #83 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Is the UHD65 another announced Optoma projector? If so, where to find info about it?
post #84 of 380 Old 01-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I want more tech spec details! i hope its 18gbps and not 10.2gpbs
Tweakophyte and RLBURNSIDE like this.
post #85 of 380 Old 01-14-2017, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5225 Post(s)
Liked: 5460
decent ANSI will be somewhat irrelevant if the native ends up in the 1200:1 range as already seen on the much more expensive BenQ and Acer UHD models with this DMD. That well below average level of native is a deal breaker in a well setup room.

Also those models claimed decent lumen output but end up with 1200-1400 D65 lumens with BC off / on respectively, not encouraging for HDR use. Let's see what the claimed 3000 lumens ends up with after a calibration, it's likely going to be significantly less.

in addition, neither of the big brother projectors based on this new DMD have 3D which is sacrilege for a DLP projector. I only see a vague rumor it might have 3D but no mention in any of the press releases. We need to see a back photo of the new model to see if they excluded the 3 PIN VESA port.
post #86 of 380 Old 01-14-2017, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'm super excited for this! I'm right on the fence of the epson 5040/6040 due to the HDR limitations. Can't wait for additional tech specs to see if this is a better fit.
post #87 of 380 Old 01-15-2017, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
I'm aware, if you look at the cine4home screenshots compared to the epson shift anyway, it's night and day better. Not as good as a real 4k sony, but decently close.
IMHO, the Epson pictures there looks sabotaged (intentionally or un-intentionally).
I mean come on, those Epson shots look awfully out of focus. It looks 1000 times better than those in reality.
post #88 of 380 Old 01-15-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
IMHO, the Epson pictures there looks sabotaged (intentionally or un-intentionally).
I mean come on, those Epson shots look awfully out of focus. It looks 1000 times better than those in reality.
You can see the pixel structure. Explain how that's out of focus lol. People just need to admit, it's a 1080p projector
post #89 of 380 Old 01-15-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
You can see the pixel structure. Explain how that's out of focus lol. People just need to admit, it's a 1080p projector
Yeah right. You can see the pixel structure from the lousy camera phone picture.
I am not saying Epson is not 1080P, just saying the picture is way too bad the way it is presented. Completely misleading.
post #90 of 380 Old 01-15-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Yeah right. You can see the pixel structure from the lousy camera phone picture.
I am not saying Epson is not 1080P, just saying the picture is way too bad the way it is presented. Completely misleading.

It's not a great picture but that projector is 100% not out of focus. These dlps are night and day better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
ces 2017 , hdr , Optoma , uhd60

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page