Need an ultra-cheapie, any ideas? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need an ultra-cheapie, any ideas?

I'm an artist and need a way to project my digital photographs onto a canvas for sketching. I currently have a USB based VGA (640x480) projector which is little more than a toy to most of you. I was hoping to get something with a little better resolution. Some kind of older home theater unit perhaps. I keep seeing these Epson Powerlite units on Ebay which look very tempting at 720p resoultion. Many of them are less than $100. My old XP desktop tower I use looks like it has a vga plug, 15 pin? My only fear is that it wouldn't let me make the image small enough for a canvas ,16x24, or larger. I like my toy projector because it lets me use the USB for video transfer but I guess a real home-theater unit wouldn't do that. Or, can they?

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1819
I would go on ebay and look for some used ones. You'll get a higher quality unit and since you won't be using it for hardcore movies or gaming I wouldn't be scared of going 2nd hand. We bought a used Benq for work and it does a nice job. I don't recall the model or the price, but I wanna say we got it for a couple hundred bucks.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedOkra View Post
... My only fear is that it wouldn't let me make the image small enough for a canvas ,16x24, or larger. ...
There are two ways to make a projector image bigger or smaller -- using the projector's zoom lens if it has one or physically moving the projector closer to or further from the screen (or canvas). Physically moving the projector will allow you to make the image as big or small as you like. For your use almost any projector will do.

As for using the projector's USB port for projecting images from a thumb drive, some have this feature and some don't. You'd need to take it on a model by model basis. That is, you find a cheap used projector ad, do a search for the projector model shown in the ad, go to the projector company site for that model, look at the specifications for that model and see if it includes a USB port that can read images from a thumb drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Sounds like you already have a small LED based projector, why not get something similar but better resolution.

I imagine you have a setup like this

Might need something brighter and a little more resolution than this, the draw back to these small LED's are there is no zoom, you have move it closer and further to change image size.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-28-2017, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i just posted on the deals section that might be ultracheap now. lg ph150g 720p projector. retails for $350, expired sale $250, around $200 on ebay thanks to tmobile/lg promo where this was free. i just got one for $180. im expecting good quality since this is my 3rd lg including my current pf1500.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-28-2017, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Would watch ebay for Optoma HD70, HD65, or Benq pe7700.... i picked up a 7700 buy it now for 89.99 free shipping last month.

If getting a 7700 make sure it has firmware version .48 or .49
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page