Yet another first projector question - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 03-24-2018, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrackl View Post
I've been enjoying the projector for almost a year now - it does see regular use, especially the weekends - I enjoy watching movies, Amazon/NetFlix original content.

I am using the projector with a Silver Ticket STR-169120 screen (not projecting on wall). I watch during the night (dark), which is why I haven't paid much attention to lighting ...

What would be a good upgrade for me? I would like to improve my "cinematic experience" ... Projector, screen? Room treatment?
I am in the same boat (more or less) as you were a year ago. I mainly watch at night. I do have control over the light (but is a pain to do, so most likely wont do it). I have researched and researched, and then researched some more. I really want to pull the trigger on the HT3050 (or similar). However, I keep worrying if i need the Epson because of my light control, and the fact that I may see RBE.

Have you tried the projector you have in the daytime? would you rather have gone for a projector that could be used in ambient light?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 03-25-2018, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 493
The Sony 45es is the most recommended if your still in the 1080p camp would be a generally significant upgrade or a used 1080p JVC would be a drastic improvement over your BenQ. If 4K is your thing the Vivitek 2288/Optoma uhd60/65 would be a good improvement although contrast would be no better and game lag may be a problem. Their are the new 4 way pixel shifting DLP's also but contrast is likely to take a hit. The Epson 5040 or JVC 420/440 could be winners if your closer to the $3k range. The 5040 biggest flaw is its 10gb HDMI and JVC's are ridiculous lamp cost.
yemisvx likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #33 of 37 Old 03-25-2018, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
The Sony 45es is the most recommended if your still in the 1080p camp would be a generally significant upgrade or a used 1080p JVC would be a drastic improvement over your BenQ. If 4K is your thing the Vivitek 2288/Optoma uhd60/65 would be a good improvement although contrast would be no better and game lag may be a problem. Their are the new 4 way pixel shifting DLP's also but contrast is likely to take a hit. The Epson 5040 or JVC 420/440 could be winners if your closer to the $3k range. The 5040 biggest flaw is its 10gb HDMI and JVC's are ridiculous lamp cost.
Thanks for the response. You bring up some good points.

4k - I would like some feedback from other people, if the 4k made a difference to them in viewing experience. My screen is 120 inches and I sit about 10-12' away. I don't have a 4k TV ... still on my 12 year old 1080P LCD ...

Would the Sony 285ES be a good upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 03-26-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I have read (nearly everywhere) how amazing the Sony VPL-HW45ES is. Where I live the price for a Benq HT4050 is basically the same as the 45es. I dont have a dedicated theater room. and will be using the projector in the living room.

The room has white ceiling and walls, but does have black out curtains on the windows. I have heard that in this kind of set up (i will also use the projector in the evening where it will be a bit light in the room) you wont see any difference in quality and contrast with the 45es, and in fact the Benq will be brighter.

Is this true?
Does this have to do with one being DLP and the other LCD?
post #35 of 37 Old 03-26-2018, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by yemisvx View Post
I have read (nearly everywhere) how amazing the Sony VPL-HW45ES is. Where I live the price for a Benq HT4050 is basically the same as the 45es. I dont have a dedicated theater room. and will be using the projector in the living room.

The room has white ceiling and walls, but does have black out curtains on the windows. I have heard that in this kind of set up (i will also use the projector in the evening where it will be a bit light in the room) you wont see any difference in quality and contrast with the 45es, and in fact the Benq will be brighter.

Is this true?
Does this have to do with one being DLP and the other LCD?
From what I have read the HT4050 has no better contrast than the HT2050. I would pick the Sony for almost any room, the Epson 3700 would be my second choice for a brighter projector in a room with poor light control.

Edit: the Sony is LCOS not LCD, the Epson is LCD.
yemisvx likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #36 of 37 Old 03-26-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
From what I have read the HT4050 has no better contrast than the HT2050. I would pick the Sony for almost any room, the Epson 3700 would be my second choice for a brighter projector in a room with poor light control.

Edit: the Sony is LCOS not LCD, the Epson is LCD.
Thanks.

The reason for the HT4050 over the HT2050 is purely to do with throw distance.
I am looking a the Sony because of the contrast as well as not being a DLP and wont have to worry about RBE.

I know I don't have an issue with it, just in case other people viewing will.

The Sony is a much bigger/ heavier device and if i wont see much difference between that and the Benq, I would go for the Benq, especially as the Sony doesn't have an audio out port so i will need to get a spliter (more cables etc).

Yes I got confused with the Epson (LCD) and the Sony (LCOS)
post #37 of 37 Old 03-26-2018, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've also always heard great things about the Sony VPL-HW45ES, but I'd be wondering if something like the 4k Optoma UHD60 would be better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
dlp , Epson , projector , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page