HD142X vs LG PF1500 LARGO vs PF1000U vs W1110 / HT2050 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bud16415

post #1 of 7 Old 04-02-2017, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HD142X vs LG PF1500 LARGO vs PF1000U vs W1110 / HT2050

My story is a bit different.
I actually managed to spend a lot of time in order to get to the conclusion that the hd142x is the one for me. I did a comparison between the following projectors:
- LG Pf1000u ultra short throw. The normal non smart remote version, not Adagio.
- LG pf1500 LARGO
- Benq W1110 also known as HT2050
- Two Hd142x

The comparison was made by taking into account the following factors sorted by importance: noise, price, image clarity, image Brightness and 3D capability. It was done with an android box and two laptops as input. Movie was Gravity both normal and 3D version.

First comparison was between the two LGs.
- The Pf1000u was brighter, didn't have input lag from my android box when moving my airmouse around. The brightness was most probably due to the fact that it sits closer to the wall.
The noise was a LOT increased when 3D was enabled. Due to this and the fact that it's not kid friendly, I directly returned it.
It's very easy to use and setup but wasn't a match for me.
- the LG pf1500 LARGO was very quiet, had smart remote, good keystone correction to fit it to the wall.
The reason I didn't choose it was the big input lag for my android device airmouse which was due to the truemotion setting but even with game mode enabled I could notice it. Second reason was the price and the fact that the HD142X displays better colours and is brighter.

Second comparison was between HD142X and the pf1500 LARGO:
The lag was not noticeable with the Hd142x, Brightness and colours were better and was cheaper. I didn't need to use all the smart functions of the LG since I already had them with the android box. The LG was indeed more silent and a better lamp life since it is LED.

Third set of comparison was between the HD142X and the W1110 / HT2050. I actually saw a few posts on the forums praising the BENQ W1110 for its colours.
I gave it a try:
The colours are more warm with the W1110 and you have more settings to adjust it. The noise was much louder then all of them. This killed it for me. I want to shelf mount it on an IKEA lack shelf just above our couch. The noise that it made was too much. I could hear it from another floor of the house.
The HD142X was brighter though and I like the colours.

I returned one HD142X because it had a high pitch sound coming from the back of it which was annoying. The second projector had this sound also but not as strong.

The conclusion of the my comparison is the following :
1. HD142X
2. LG PF1500 LARGO
3. W1110
4. LG Pf1000u

Now I need help with the mounting. I want to shelf mount it. Did anyone try to shelf mount it on its back?
The IR sensor is not reachable so I will need to buy an IR repeater.

Any suggestions? Is it safe on it's back?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-02-2017, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Don't know how long you plan to keep the Optoma but I have owned my PF1500 for almost two years now and it still looks the same as it did when I first turned it on. Also, I don't know if this is your first projector or not but I have owned about ten of them going back to 1992. My advice is to give bonus points to the LED lighting. Watching the bulb tire is very troubling.

Jack
post #3 of 7 Old 04-03-2017, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Don't know how long you plan to keep the Optoma but I have owned my PF1500 for almost two years now and it still looks the same as it did when I first turned it on. Also, I don't know if this is your first projector or not but I have owned about ten of them going back to 1992. My advice is to give bonus points to the LED lighting. Watching the bulb tire is very troubling.
I really really wanted to like the PF1500, I just couldn't live with that annoying lag and the difference in lumens and price favored the Hd142x.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-03-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
As to on its back it should be safe as long as you don’t block any air vents. Some people hang them from the bottom of the shelf as well. I always wished projectors had another set of holes for sitting them upside down. You can DIY a board with 3 adjustable pins to set it on.

For the type of viewing you are doing it sounds like a good choice to me.
HowToGen likes this.

Bud
post #5 of 7 Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowToGen View Post
I really really wanted to like the PF1500, I just couldn't live with that annoying lag and the difference in lumens and price favored the Hd142x.
I don't game so I can't identify with that. But I do remember the bulbs starting to dim after around 500 hours. So, depending how much you will be using the Optoma, you might find the lumens to be closer over time.

Jack
post #6 of 7 Old 04-13-2017, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Finally the hd142x will stay on its back. I bought an IR repeater and put the emitter as close to the IR sensor as possible and the receiver towards the wall and connected to the android box. This way the Android box will power the repeater which will be able to send the ON signal to the projector.

It's working well and as for the sound I found a really good deal for a RIVA S only 98Eur on Amazon, which sits there next to the projector and the sound bounces from the front wall.

Seems to be a good setup and I'm finally pleased with this outcome

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 04-14-2017, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
EDIT: Oops, I see you mentioned trying out 'Game' mode.
Spoiler!

Last edited by LeonZA; 04-14-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page