Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-06-2017, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Optoma HD70 + Yamaha RX-V673

Hi
I having an issue with my newly acquired PJ. I recently upgraded my AV amp to the Yamaha RX-V673 in so doing I also wanted to upgrade my old trusty PJ (Infocus 4805) as it was very old and no hdmi input and no hdcp compliance. So I wanted to buy a cheap PJ that was supposed to by HDCP compliant and has a hdmi port.
Problem is that the PJ doesn't detect the signal from the amp. Using the same cable I've connected the PJ to my PS3 (slimline) and get a great picture but through the amp nothing is displayed. I've used the same cable to connect the amp to a monitor (BENQ GL2450) and get a great picture.
So I guessing there's come kind of extra conversion of the HDMI video signal going on in the PJ or some handshaking issue ?
Anyone got any idea how to fix this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-06-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 185
That is weird. Have you tried a shorter cable between the receiver and the PJ?
post #3 of 8 Old 04-06-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sounds like the HDMI port on the PJ. Where did you get the HD70?

The color wheel started to go on mine last year so I replaced it with a new PJ. Still have the HD70 in a box somewhere.

// Front Projection Enthusiast //
BenQ W1070 - 103" EasyFlex Painted Screen
Onkyo TX-NR646 - JBL Northridge 5.1 - SVS PB-1000
Roku Ultra - Amazon FireTv - Sony BDPS5500 - Kangaroo PC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-07-2017, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

I've tried three hdmi cables between the amp amp and the PJ no joy.
I got the PJ on ebay for £57, only 20 hours lamp use
I've got the HD70 ceiling mounted now and wired via a 25m HDMI 2 cable directly to my ps3 an have a very good picture , once I set the ps3 to output 720P.
I spoke to the Yamaha technical support line and they advised turning off a "monitor check" setting , which apparently inspects the device to see if it can support the resolution, but unfortunately that didn't work either. They did also say it could be the EDID signal and not handshaking successfully and suggested buying an EDID manager , which I've done , just awaiting delivery, but the seller wasn't sure if the cable length would be an issue , can't understand why if the cable carries the signal ok now ?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-07-2017, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

25 meter cable? That's 82 ft. Waaaaaaayyyyy pass what HDMI was designed for.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you tried connecting other HDMI devices directly to the PJ to rule out issues with the Yamaha?

I just had the same issue with my HD71. My Yamaha nor my HDMI matrix was recognizing the HD71. Turns out, the HDMI input on my HD71 is bad. It won't recognize anything connected to it. All other inputs work.

Just sent Optoma an email to see if they can still service my old HD71.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-13-2017, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail14me View Post
Have you tried connecting other HDMI devices directly to the PJ to rule out issues with the Yamaha?

I just had the same issue with my HD71. My Yamaha nor my HDMI matrix was recognizing the HD71. Turns out, the HDMI input on my HD71 is bad. It won't recognize anything connected to it. All other inputs work.

Just sent Optoma an email to see if they can still service my old HD71.
Hi

Thanks for the info. Actually I meant 15m not 25m doh... and it works fine when connected directly to the PS3.
I bought a cheap EDID manager and tried that but it didn't work at all, got full refund.
It's odd as my old Panasonic Plasma TV also won't recognize the HDMI input from the amp.

Looks like I'm out of options , although I did consider trying to update the PJ firmware but it's a bit of a pain as the software was only designed to run on old OS such as XP.
I's not a massive deal as the only thing I'm loosing is the ability to use 7.1 surround sound as the optical output on the PS3 is working with the amp but is obviously limited to 5.1 and let's be honest there aren't that many films around using 7.1 yet anyway.

I think I'm going to sell on the PJ and upgrade again to something more modern such as the Optoma H131X or the Infocus 8600.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-13-2017, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

15 meter is still 50ft which is outside of the HDMI spec. You will need something like a HDMI signal amplifier at half way point to boost the signal to the projector.
The reason why your PS3 is working is because probably the receiver HDMI output is just a bit on the low side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page