Panasonic PT-AE800U vs Epson 5040ub - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By impetigo
  • 1 Post By descalabro
  • 1 Post By impetigo
  • 1 Post By vitod
  • 1 Post By Archaea
  • 1 Post By RadiantHT
  • 1 Post By Archaea
  • 1 Post By RadiantHT
  • 1 Post By NapsterNZ

post #1 of 24 Old 05-10-2017, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Question Panasonic PT-AE800U vs Epson 5040ub

Sorry if this has been discussed before ad nauseum, but a quick search didn't show much and I didn't want to go through hundreds of pages in the device threads.

Anyway, quick question for those who have had both the venerable but still kicking, AE8000U, and the newer 5040ub. Is it worth upgrading from the AE8000U to the 5040ub?

My setup is: basement family room/HT which has decent but not complete light control (three smallish windows with blackout roller blinds). Screen is a 110" diagonal Elite Screens Aeon Edge Free with cinewhite. Using that popular Oppo BD player (BD203?) and a Yamaha receiver. Throw distance is only 11'2". Both projectors, per projector central, project the same image size from the same throw distance but since I am at near max image size at this throw distance and the 5040ub is longer/deeper than the AE8000U (by a few inches), I will have to move my mount back a bit. No biggie though really since the 5040ub doesn't have rear air vents.

I like the AE8000U for the overall performance, lens shift, and motorized zoom/focus. It is a bit long in the tooth by now though (bought it in 2013). The 5040ub seems to have gotten great reviews for PJ at its price point, with notable features like improved contrast/blacks and motorized zoom/focus AND lens shift. I care most about those upgrades/features.

Given all that, would it be a reasonable improvement overall? I hate the stiff-at-the-beginning manual lens shift of the AE8000U which makes adjustments a hassle (and I slide my screen out about 18" when using the PJ due to the image being off center because of a stairway next to the screen wall). And I find the blacks to be not impressive on the AE8000U (not calibrated though, I use "cinema 2" usually).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Price is a consideration of course but not a major factor in my decision making process (at least for the 5040ub).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-10-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked: 3133
I'm of the opinion that if you're happy with something stick with it. If you buy the Epson you may be very happy. Of course you might be just as happy sticking with your Panasonic and upgrading in a couple years when something even better is available.

For years I bought new televisions because I was always hunting the latest and greatest. I get a little sick when I think about how much money I wasted on incremental increases in picture quality. Not saying the 5040 won't be a significant improvement it's just there is always going to be something bigger and better right around the corner.

Sorry for my non-answer. I don't have either of these models I just felt like sharing my 2 cents.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed before ad nauseum, but a quick search didn't show much and I didn't want to go through hundreds of pages in the device threads.

Anyway, quick question for those who have had both the venerable but still kicking, AE8000U, and the newer 5040ub. Is it worth upgrading from the AE8000U to the 5040ub?

My setup is: basement family room/HT which has decent but not complete light control (three smallish windows with blackout roller blinds). Screen is a 110" diagonal Elite Screens Aeon Edge Free with cinewhite. Using that popular Oppo BD player (BD203?) and a Yamaha receiver. Throw distance is only 11'2". Both projectors, per projector central, project the same image size from the same throw distance but since I am at near max image size at this throw distance and the 5040ub is longer/deeper than the AE8000U (by a few inches), I will have to move my mount back a bit. No biggie though really since the 5040ub doesn't have rear air vents.

I like the AE8000U for the overall performance, lens shift, and motorized zoom/focus. It is a bit long in the tooth by now though (bought it in 2013). The 5040ub seems to have gotten great reviews for PJ at its price point, with notable features like improved contrast/blacks and motorized zoom/focus AND lens shift. I care most about those upgrades/features.

Given all that, would it be a reasonable improvement overall? I hate the stiff-at-the-beginning manual lens shift of the AE8000U which makes adjustments a hassle (and I slide my screen out about 18" when using the PJ due to the image being off center because of a stairway next to the screen wall). And I find the blacks to be not impressive on the AE8000U (not calibrated though, I use "cinema 2" usually).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Price is a consideration of course but not a major factor in my decision making process (at least for the 5040ub).
Ive had both. The Epson 5040UB would be a discernable upgrade from the Panasonic AE8000U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 05-10-2017, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I'm of the opinion that if you're happy with something stick with it. If you buy the Epson you may be very happy. Of course you might be just as happy sticking with your Panasonic and upgrading in a couple years when something even better is available.

For years I bought new televisions because I was always hunting the latest and greatest. I get a little sick when I think about how much money I wasted on incremental increases in picture quality. Not saying the 5040 won't be a significant improvement it's just there is always going to be something bigger and better right around the corner.

Sorry for my non-answer. I don't have either of these models I just felt like sharing my 2 cents.
I agree with your sentiment, although the consumerism is part of the fun (as a hobby), but it does train the wallet for sure. +1 for the Hitchhiker's quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Ive had both. The Epson 5040UB would be a discernable upgrade from the Panasonic AE8000U.
Thank you, can you briefly name the features of the 5040ub you find to be the most impressive or significant compared with the AE8000U?
sage11x likes this.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-06-2018, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I agree with your sentiment, although the consumerism is part of the fun (as a hobby), but it does train the wallet for sure. +1 for the Hitchhiker's quote!

Thank you, can you briefly name the features of the 5040ub you find to be the most impressive or significant compared with the AE8000U?
Wanted to revive this to see if there were any opinions still out there about the difference between these two as i have the Panasonic and am thinking of upgrading to the Epson 5050 whenever that is released in the next short while.
post #6 of 24 Old 12-06-2018, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 201
This is a comparison against the 5030UB. Maybe it helps. https://www.projectorcentral.com/pan...=Image-Quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #7 of 24 Old 12-07-2018, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtoo View Post
Wanted to revive this to see if there were any opinions still out there about the difference between these two as i have the Panasonic and am thinking of upgrading to the Epson 5050 whenever that is released in the next short while.
Hi, I would say I like the Epson mostly for the features than PQ, but here are some my thoughts:

Improved features of the Epson 5040UB over the Panasonic PT-AE8000U:

- Motorized lens shift. I just HATED using that joystick for lens shift, which for my "HT" setup sometimes needed adjustments, especially as I do a CIH setup, and the joystick was imprecise and I spent too much time making adjustments. Actually, I couldn't do CIH until I got the Epson really.
- Lens shift (and I think focus) memory. For CIH, this is crucial and no other projector seem to have this feature. Don't know about very expensive PJs (e.g. for me that means over $5,000) as I don't look into those much since I'll never buy one probably, but it seems to be a very rare feature.
- Motorized lens cover. Putting the lens cap on the Panasonic was a delicate procedure as it could lead to some shifting of the PJ if not super careful with putting the cap on/off. Love having a motorized cover and never worrying about it again.
- White color. Except for the black lens cover and some silver accents, the Epson is white and stands out less in my HT as the ceiling is not high (basement "HT"). Yes, that means my ceiling is white (wife will never allow me to paint the basement black).
- "Better" operation noise. I ended up returning my original Panasonic and getting another one because of this high pitched noise that it made even on low lamp setting. Now the fan noise but a high pitched, "whining" kind of noise (I have a lot of posts in the AE8000U thread about this) that drove me crazy as the PJ is relatively close to our heads (ceiling mounted on a lowered part that the furnace ducts go through so only about 3 feet -- that's about 1 meter for you smart people everywhere else in the world -- above our heads). Both Panasonics made the noise so I figured it was not a defect as they were both new and made the same sound. The Epson makes a completely fine, humming noise like my previous Sony PJ, no obnoxious, high pitched noise. It does get louder with higher fan use but on eco to mid setting it's perfectly fine.
- Has been more reliable so far. Had to send my Panasonic in to replace a circuit board within the 1 year warranty period. Epson is going strong so far.

Features I like the Panasonic more than the Epson:

- The Epson is larger, and butt ugly. You've seen the pics, but it looks worse in person. The Panasonic, OTOH, has a more professional and clean design in my eyes.
- Better 3D performance. I think it was better, because I didn't watch a ton of 3D movies when I had the Panasonic. I do know that I don't enjoy 3D on my Epson due to crosstalk and too much dimming of the image in 3D.

Features that neither is better (or possibly even good) at:

- I don't feel that the black levels have improved from the Panasonic to the Epson. I'm not a super user though and I don't do much calibration (I use others' settings from these boards but that's about it). Neither is great at this.
- Can't really say PQ is better or worse either. I haven't noticed much difference, but I'm satisfied with both for image quality of 1080p images on a 110" screen. Again, I'm not a super user though.
- Both have good lens shift and zoom range, pretty similar to each other in those specs.

Anyway, if you could benefit from any of the feature set of the Epson (memory, motorized lens shift, etc.) then I recommend getting one. It's been a good PJ the past 1-2 years that I've had it.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #8 of 24 Old 12-07-2018, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
Quote:
Improved features of the Epson 5040UB over the Panasonic PT-AE8000U:

- Motorized lens shift. I just HATED using that joystick for lens shift, which for my "HT" setup sometimes needed adjustments, especially as I do a CIH setup, and the joystick was imprecise and I spent too much time making adjustments. Actually, I couldn't do CIH until I got the Epson really.
- Lens shift (and I think focus) memory. For CIH, this is crucial and no other projector seem to have this feature. Don't know about very expensive PJs (e.g. for me that means over $5,000) as I don't look into those much since I'll never buy one probably, but it seems to be a very rare feature.
Not sure what Panasonic you actually had, but the AE8000 has motorized lens shift and zoom with memory settings and automatic switching between 2.35 and 1.78 aspect ratios built in.

Things like looks and color are obviously personal preference. Certainly in a darker theater almost all users prefer and actually demand black projectors. They will pay for the 6040 over the 5040 just to get the black color. But, as I said, that's not something I would call a feature of either model. Likewise with size.

But, certainly if you had a Panasonic without motorized functions, you did not have the AE8000.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-07-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

But, certainly if you had a Panasonic without motorized functions, you did not have the AE8000.

The lens shift on the PT-AE8000 is manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AV_Integrated likes this.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #10 of 24 Old 12-07-2018, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Not sure what Panasonic you actually had, but the AE8000 has motorized lens shift and zoom with memory settings and automatic switching between 2.35 and 1.78 aspect ratios built in.

You really think I would have written all that without knowing what features it had or what model I paid over $2000 for?

Quote:
The lens has motorized zoom and focus, with six available memories for different settings. But the lens shift is manual. When you alter the zoom setting, the center of the picture shifts vertically and must be manually readjusted.
Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...KiuGy0jmtq8.99
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-lcd-projector
AV_Integrated likes this.

AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)

Last edited by impetigo; 12-07-2018 at 10:54 AM.
post #11 of 24 Old 12-07-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
Quote:
You really think I would have written all that without knowing what features it had or what model I paid over $2000 for?
WTF???!!!??

My bad. I was sure it was all motorized. Apologies.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #12 of 24 Old 12-07-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I have the same question as the OP except mine is a Panasonic AE4000U. Any thoughts on that upgrade to Epson 5040ub? I also run CIH so the motorized zoom and focus is crucial to me. I think I can live with white because the projector sits so that the lens is just overhead of the seats, so I wouldn't be looking at it.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends

Need motivation? Get LOGANED
The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
post #13 of 24 Old 12-08-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

I have the 7000U and everytime I go look at another projector and then come home and look at mine with the same movies I decide not to upgrade. I looked at the 5040, Sony 285 and 295 and JVC 790. While they are better, not even close to the price. Everybody who comes into my HT still raves over the picture and says they didn't know HT could be that good. I may be sticking with my 7000 until it dies. :-)

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #14 of 24 Old 12-09-2018, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I haven't posted on AVS in a long time. But here goes...

I have the 8000U and love it to death. I've contemplated to 'upgrade' many times and when I check the specs of other PJs, I don't see any reason to spend 2-3k for a 'better' pic. I've seen 4K and I would need to upgrade everything. So, that's a big no! Soon, 8K will come out and the whole 'upgrade' virus comes back. IMO, if you're happy with what you have, stay with it.
descalabro likes this.

Panasonic AE-8000, Carada BW 120", Paradigm Studio 40v3 x 2, Paradigm 690v4, Paradigm ADP 470v3 (rears), Micca M-8C x 4, Volt 6 x 2 (SR), SI DS4-18 in 12cuft X 2, Marantz 7702MKII, OPPO 103D, Emotiva XPA-3,
post #15 of 24 Old 12-10-2018, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post
I have the same question as the OP except mine is a Panasonic AE4000U. Any thoughts on that upgrade to Epson 5040ub? I also run CIH so the motorized zoom and focus is crucial to me. I think I can live with white because the projector sits so that the lens is just overhead of the seats, so I wouldn't be looking at it.
If you run CIH then the 5040UB is definitely worth the upgrade. The 4000U is pretty old by now so probably significant picture improvement also (I would assume but have no direct experience with the 4000U). If you want a black projector I think there is a black "pro" version of this one, the 6040UB, although it costs significantly more. Not sure off the top of my head what else besides color is different about the 6040UB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
I have the 7000U and everytime I go look at another projector and then come home and look at mine with the same movies I decide not to upgrade. I looked at the 5040, Sony 285 and 295 and JVC 790. While they are better, not even close to the price. Everybody who comes into my HT still raves over the picture and says they didn't know HT could be that good. I may be sticking with my 7000 until it dies. :-)
If the 7000U is like the 8000U, and I didn't need lens shift (and focus?) memory for a CIH setup, then I also would not have upgraded, although I might have just for the quieter, better noise. Both my 8000U made that terrible high pitched noise (like tinnitus) which was intolerable because it was only 3-4 feet about my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post
I haven't posted on AVS in a long time. But here goes...

I have the 8000U and love it to death. I've contemplated to 'upgrade' many times and when I check the specs of other PJs, I don't see any reason to spend 2-3k for a 'better' pic. I've seen 4K and I would need to upgrade everything. So, that's a big no! Soon, 8K will come out and the whole 'upgrade' virus comes back. IMO, if you're happy with what you have, stay with it.
Yup.

1080p is totally sufficient for my 110" screen (wish I could go to at least 120" but no can do) and until HDR on PJs improves a lot I don't see any reason to upgrade from the 5040UB. If not for the lens memory and quieter noise of the 5040UB I would still have my 8000U.

post #16 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 650 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked: 3902
I have the AE8000U and just ordered the Epson 5040UB today for $1150 refurb + $50 in tax.

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/H.../V11H713020-N?

Here’s a comparison video
https://youtu.be/qR1xpCBAtdc

Given the price and the seeking of better contrast, I picked it up as an intermediate half step projector, until true 4K, high contrast, and HDMI 2.1 are available at the <= $3k pricepoint. I’ll report back on my thoughts between the two when the Epson arrives.
gianni1 likes this.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-02-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #17 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I've owned both projectors. The Epson 5040UB has discernibly better picture quality than the Panasonic-AE8000U.
Archaea likes this.
post #18 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
I've owned both projectors. The Epson 5040UB has discernibly better picture quality than the Panasonic-AE8000U.

You copying @LumensLover ‘s homework? (His post above)
rboster likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208 identical 1" tweeters, 52 identical 5" woofers, and 8 identical 18" subwoofers work in uniform to deliver an un-quantifiably great audio experience!
post #19 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
How is the difference in black levels and contrast? I have the Panasonic and being thinking Epson.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
post #20 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sal View Post
How is the difference in black levels and contrast? I have the Panasonic and being thinking Epson.

Epson has deeper black levels and a much sharper image. And I would give Epson the edge when it comes to color accuracy in its brightest non dynamic mode setting vs. Panasonic brightest non dynamic mode setting.
David Sal likes this.
post #21 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Epson has deeper black levels and a much sharper image. And I would give Epson the edge when it comes to color accuracy in its brightest non dynamic mode setting vs. Panasonic brightest non dynamic mode setting.
Thanks.

post #22 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am in the same boat with wanting to upgrade from the AE8000
So far i don't like the Epson for one reason which is the SDE ( Screen Door Effect ) and that it's not 4K.

Having demo'd a few projectors now i really am stuck lol.

I ran a 150" screen so i am really looking for higher resolution and better contrast. Only thing that screams at me is JVC but the price is rough.

Waiting to see what the new Epson will be like and also the new BenQ W5700.
gianni1 likes this.
post #23 of 24 Old 08-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same boat, have the Panasonic AE8000 and stll enjoying the unit to much. There's too little gain jumping to the benq w5700 with my eyes. Considered the epson TW9400 which i felt was more of a upgrade even with the pixel shifting. Personally i don't care how the 4k system is technically, as long as it looks better... for me, i thinks i might just wait till there's a busy effective 4k solution with lens memory and a big jump from the Panasonic picture quality...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #24 of 24 Old 08-09-2019, 05:11 PM

I bought a 5040UB from the AE8000U. It's a tick up from the AE8000U, but the youthman video showing the difference isn't accurate to my experience. I'd say it was a smaller tick up than his video shows and a clear step down from the JVC RS-600 I had in my room for a couple weeks as a demo opportunity.

I sold my AE8000U to a fellow enthusiast for $750. I showed him the AE8000U and the 5040UB immediately back to back. He knew the price was $1150 for a refurb of the 5040UB. He still chose to buy my 4 year old AE8000U with 1700+ hours over the 5040UB with a new bulb for $1150 if that makes the comparison more objective. If he had decided to not buy my AE8000U I probably would have just kept it and resold or returned the 5040UB.

Personally with the HDR limitation on the 5040UB (which requires some hacks to even look decent with HDR sources - Harpvision settings work well) - if you are happy with your AE8000U, I'd just stick with it until true 4K and HDR are implemented correctly for the pricepoint you can afford. But if your AE8000U is failing or the bulb is dim -- then the 5040UB is a nice tide over projector until they get 4K and HDR to an affordable pricepoint.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208 identical 1" tweeters, 52 identical 5" woofers, and 8 identical 18" subwoofers work in uniform to deliver an un-quantifiably great audio experience!

Last edited by Archaea; 08-09-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page