Anyone ever try the Optoma EH504, EH50xxx? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 55 Old 05-31-2017, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewke View Post
My seating ranges from a few feet from the projector to about 8 feet. It can be distracting when close to the projector but once immersed in a movie I don't really notice it, but then again I'm probably not as picky as others.
Understood. How about normal lamp mode? Is it distractingly loud? If I put the projector 19' away, I might use Normal mode.... perhaps the elevated fan noise will drown out the iris noise : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 05-31-2017, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Normal lamp mode is quite loud and too me more distracting than the iris.
post #33 of 55 Old 06-01-2017, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I remember the 5025ub fan being pretty loud in normal mode... we will see how it pans out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 Old 06-02-2017, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Normal lamp mode is quite loud and too me more distracting than the iris.

Well I just got the projector today and have only have a short time to view it.... it's plenty bright that is for sure. Living Room ECO from 12.5' mounting is very bright at .9x gain with the lights on. Cinema ECO is pretty bright also... although this is a brand new bulb. Black levels are good, not quite JVC... which I would have expected. But this projector is brighter and the black levels seems pretty solid, lights off or just a touch on

I am having a focus uniformity issue however... seems the top and bottom are hard to focus at the same time. Could this be a lens shift issue? I need to mess with it a bit, maybe tilt the projector up or down and adjust the lens shift to see if that helps.... thoughts?
post #35 of 55 Old 06-02-2017, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I doubt its a lens shift issue as i'm using almost maximum lens shift and I can get get the whole screen focused.....did you try to use the tools in the menu to correct convergence(look to 5020ub thread on process), that might help.....

Last edited by lewke; 06-02-2017 at 01:56 PM.
post #36 of 55 Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I doubt its a lens shift issue as i'm using almost maximum lens shift and I can get get the whole screen focused.....did you try to use the tools in the menu to correct convergence(look to 5020ub thread on process), that might help.....
I went through the convergence tool and I think it helped a bit.... it's still a bit more out of focus towards the bottom of the picture compared to the top. My next experiment is to move it from 12.5' ceiling mount to 18.5' ceiling mount for the following tests:

1) light loss (maybe I'll break out the dSLR for a A/B test)... of course all tests say I should lose about 20-25%
2) Noise differential, both on high fan and with auto iris
3) Focus uniformity.... would the focus uniformity be better/worse/same when zooming in from a farther distance / table mount?

I'll work on these tonight

I will say however that Screen Door, so far, is not that bad from 11' viewing.... 9' I can *really* see it... but 11'... not so much... so far.

More to come.
post #37 of 55 Old 06-02-2017, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3791 Post(s)
Liked: 3002
Lens shift will not change the relative focus of the top and bottom of the image. Lens shift just shifts the image up and down (or side to side) without any effect on focus. The projector needs to be level and at exactly a 90-degree angle to the screen for focus uniformity. Raise or lower the front of the projector to get uniform focus and then use lens shift to get the focused image centered on the screen.
post #38 of 55 Old 06-02-2017, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Lens shift will not change the relative focus of the top and bottom of the image. Lens shift just shifts the image up and down (or side to side) without any effect on focus. The projector needs to be level and at exactly a 90-degree angle to the screen for focus uniformity. Raise or lower the front of the projector to get uniform focus and then use lens shift to get the focused image centered on the screen.
Thanks for the input. Yes I will work on moving the projector angle a bit to see if that helps, but for now, ceiling mounted from 12.5', the bottom of the image is not as crisp as the top.... and my concern is that it's the lens, not the focus.

I will also try from 18.5' table mount to see if there is any difference.

PS... I went into the service menu... 3100 hours of use on this model, with one bulb change....
post #39 of 55 Old 06-04-2017, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

So I tried the projector from 12.5' and 18.5' and there was not much difference in brightness.... but there was less light bouncing off the walls *and* the focus uniformity was much better.... so at this point I will probably keep it that way as it's still plenty bright... (albiet with an new bulb). Here are the photos. I think the 12.5' is a touch brighter... but I also think the black levels are higher and therefore making the darker portions of the image appear brighter. PS, these images were taken with the same exact settings on my camera.

12.5' mount

18.5' mount

Last edited by ohcello; 06-04-2017 at 01:14 PM.
post #40 of 55 Old 06-04-2017, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

PS... any suggestion for best sharpness settings for the 5020UB... should I set the Adv. settings? I think the JVC was just a touch sharper all around, and wondered if I can better tweak the Sharpness ... frankly I did see that much difference when adjusting it so far...
post #41 of 55 Old 06-04-2017, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcello View Post
So I tried the projector from 12.5' and 18.5' and there was not much difference in brightness.... but there was less light bouncing off the walls *and* the focus uniformity was much better.... so at this point I will probably keep it that way as it's still plenty bright... (albiet with an new bulb). Here are the photos. I think the 12.5' is a touch brighter... but I also think the black levels are higher and therefore making the darker portions of the image appear brighter. PS, these images were taken with the same exact settings on my camera.

12.5' mount

18.5' mount

If you want to to avoid screen doors, blurriness etc. then sit back further Just playing

Congrats on the Epson, it is a great choice and should be a nice all rounder and at least reliable. How much will you be using this projector for daytime viewing?
post #42 of 55 Old 06-04-2017, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

10% daytime, but the room is completely light controlled. But 80-90% with 2 recessed 60w lights on otherwise
post #43 of 55 Old 06-06-2017, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Update - So I have it shelf mounted from 18.5 feet onto 112" wall and overall I'm pretty happy.

1) The screen door is not too bad... I really don't notice it other then on an pure white background, but even then, it's minimal
2) there is some green to pink color shift across a pure white image.... very mild... I'm assuming that's somewhat normal for the Epsons(?)
3) Iris noise is much more tolerable 6' behind my head vs. 1-2'.... I still hear it, but it's just not as annoying
4) The sharpness, for text especially, is not quite as good as my JVC X30.... to the point I have been messing with Sharpness and Super Resolution a bit.... I think it's just that JVC's are a bit sharper in this regard. That being said, I might try out a Darbee for overall clarity. I'm also considering going a bit smaller down to 106" or 100" to help with this. I used to have a 92" screen and was pretty happy with the size, so I don't think it will be much of an adjustment. I really cannot move further back in the room either.
5) THX mode on ECO from 18.5' with a new bulb is *PLENTY* bright with my 2 60W bulbs recessed on, with my 0.9x gain Scorpion paint mix. I tried Living Room ECO with the lights on and my wife told me it was giving her a headache : )

So I will look into a lower gain / ALR wall/fabric/screen and I'm talking with MMan about this.

Any thoughts? Thanks again all.
post #44 of 55 Old 06-07-2017, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

FYI I posted this photo in the 5020UB thread for input... the color uniformity is not great.... not sure enough to warrant an exchange.... thoughts?

Last edited by ohcello; 06-07-2017 at 08:41 AM.
post #45 of 55 Old 06-07-2017, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FYI I posted this photo in the 5020UB thread for input... the color uniformity is not great.... not sure enough to warrant an exchange.... thoughts?
Your image didn't show up here or in the other thread, either.
post #46 of 55 Old 06-07-2017, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Your image didn't show up here or in the other thread, either.
How about now?
post #47 of 55 Old 06-07-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How about now?
Yep, if you can see it everyone else can, too.
post #48 of 55 Old 06-07-2017, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yep, if you can see it everyone else can, too.

what do you think... normal, excessive?
post #49 of 55 Old 06-07-2017, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

ps... called Epson... hot swap on it's way : )
post #50 of 55 Old 06-07-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good call. Colors definitely look uneven.
post #51 of 55 Old 06-07-2017, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have been reading that uniformity issued can be mnore pronounced when mounted further away... maybe that's why I didn't notice much at 12.5', but I sure did at 18.5'. Let's see how much Epsons I'll go through before I get 'a good one' : )
post #52 of 55 Old 06-09-2017, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
got the 2nd 5020UB today... all looked OK with color uniformity, but then I see very large blue and green dust blobs on the side!!.... so that's going back and #3 is on its way : )
post #53 of 55 Old 06-09-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@ohcello , unfortunately, getting two factory refurbs with obvious issues direct from Epson raises the question of whether Epson is actually fixing issues on returned projectors or just repackaging and sending them back out with the same issues hoping the next buyer won't notice. I suppose Epson should get some credit for quickly replacing refurbs that have issues. But it's definitely a PIA.
post #54 of 55 Old 06-09-2017, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@ohcello , unfortunately, getting two factory refurbs with obvious issues direct from Epson raises the question of whether Epson is actually fixing issues on returned projectors or just repackaging and sending them back out with the same issues hoping the next buyer won't notice. I suppose Epson should get some credit for quickly replacing refurbs that have issues. But it's definitely a PIA.
I think Epson's policy is to test for obvious defects, and my suspicion is that both the color uniformity issue on the 1st unit and the blobs on the 2nd unit could very well get missed by many owners.... so Epson sees if the can sell these as is....

I kind of expected I might have to get a few different units to get one that I wanted to keep... and I'm OK with it. It's too bad on that 1st unit as the focus is pretty solid.... but the pink <<>> blue hue is a bit much...
post #55 of 55 Old 06-15-2017, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So replacement #1 had better uniformity, but the iris was much louder had 2 huge dust blobs... replacement #2 again had better uniformity, but had terrible white ghosting when trying to focus... so... replacement #3 is on it's way!.... if I cannot find a better model, I'll just keep the one I have.... yeah the pink and green is a little annoying... but for the price and warranty, still the best option IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page