Optoma UHD60 & UHD65 4K/UHD HDR DLP Projectors Now Available - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1730Likes

post #1981 of 2008 Old 01-25-2018, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjicecool View Post
Among uhd60 and uhd 65 which one is better. there seems to be 500$ diff in both
The UHD65 is superior in contrast and color. The UHD60 has less latency due to not having FI processing, it's geared more towards the gaming community. The UHD60 has 3000 lumens so it's brighter too. If your not going to game much or play games that don't require low latency then UHD65 is the one you want. Just keep in mind that the UHD65 will never have the latency the UHD60 has even with the FI turned off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2008 Old 01-25-2018, 01:08 PM

Tried messing with my colors settings While HDR content was displayed...having hard time getting the flesh tones correct . I reduced the brilliant color down to 1 and even put the tint a little on the green a couple of tics but it makes the other colors look off. What also gets me is that in some scenes the skin tones look good! I can see how this becomes an obsession lol.
post #1983 of 2008 Old 01-25-2018, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have got to be missing something here. I have been following these 4k projectors for awhile and was very excited to get one.

I finally got my UHD60 in, got it all hooked up and connected...and I am blown away......blown away that there is zero difference in my 700 dollar BENQ 1070, and a 2000 dollar 4k projector.

I was very excited to get some Witcher 3 going in 4k at 110inch...looks terrible. I heard this was the projector to get for gaming.

Very, very underwhelmed and disappointed. I am not a fanboy of any company etc, just want a great experience no matter who provides it ( before anyone starts throwing those excuses out there )

Just overall very underwhelmed that I had saved for so long and wanted a 4k projector for so long, and finally get it and the old projector I have had the previous 2 years is just as good as a new cutting edge projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2008 Old 01-25-2018, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaaviator View Post
I have got to be missing something here. I have been following these 4k projectors for awhile and was very excited to get one.

I finally got my UHD60 in, got it all hooked up and connected...and I am blown away......blown away that there is zero difference in my 700 dollar BENQ 1070, and a 2000 dollar 4k projector.

I was very excited to get some Witcher 3 going in 4k at 110inch...looks terrible. I heard this was the projector to get for gaming.

Very, very underwhelmed and disappointed. I am not a fanboy of any company etc, just want a great experience no matter who provides it ( before anyone starts throwing those excuses out there )

Just overall very underwhelmed that I had saved for so long and wanted a 4k projector for so long, and finally get it and the old projector I have had the previous 2 years is just as good as a new cutting edge projector.
hmm. I would say something is definitely not right with your setup if you see zero difference and if Witcher 3 looks terrible @ 2160p. You're seeing 2160p w/ HDR in the input indicator box to the right?
post #1985 of 2008 Old 01-25-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I'm coming off a VPL40ES Sony which is a fantastic projector and honestly it's not a huge difference but it is better, just not 4x better. If your not seeing any difference it may be your screen. Is your screen textured?
post #1986 of 2008 Old 01-25-2018, 04:46 PM

Im willing to troubleshoot and chalk it up to a possibility of some sort of user error. I will keep fiddling with it for awhile and see if there is some issue from my reciever to the projector etc.
post #1987 of 2008 Old 01-25-2018, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 29
do u think the sony has better contrast then the optoma uhd 60i have the 45 and its pretty good
post #1988 of 2008 Old 01-26-2018, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Im willing to troubleshoot and chalk it up to a possibility of some sort of user error. I will keep fiddling with it for awhile and see if there is some issue from my reciever to the projector etc.
What receiver do you have? It took me a good two weeks and I'm still trying to get the UHD60 running to it's full potential. I am now down to trying to find a 25' 4K HDMI cable that can run HDR. I've tried 5 and all have failed. What is your full setup? Source, receiver model, screen etc
post #1989 of 2008 Old 01-26-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmille View Post
What receiver do you have? It took me a good two weeks and I'm still trying to get the UHD60 running to it's full potential. I am now down to trying to find a 25' 4K HDMI cable that can run HDR. I've tried 5 and all have failed. What is your full setup? Source, receiver model, screen etc
I have the Denon 4300H - UHD60 - Elite Screen

Something is defiantly wrong. I just bought a 4k player last night and the 4k version of the Batman Trilogy to see if maybe the fact I was just running the PS4 pro was the problem.

Turned out it wasnt. 4x through the movie my projector / receiver lost video signal. Audio stayed running, just the video cut off for no apparent reason and I got a message on screen saying "no signal found". I had to unplug an reconnect the HDMI cables, then turn off and on the receiver for it to start working again. I bought the cables from Monoprice and got the "Active HDMI" cables that everyone recommended, even bought the expensive fiber cable for the 40 foot projector run I may need in the future, but right now have the receiver so close I was running a 10 ft cord to it. Signal still dropped out.

Even when it was working, I was not impressed in the least. And I mean that sincerely. There was absolutely no visual difference in running a $1800 4k projector , $200 4k player, and a $800 receiver than I had running a $600 1080p projector, a ps4 pro, and a $400 Yamaha vx-867 receiver.

I kept watching, hoping I could find a way to justify this massive expenditure ( for me ) on a side grade at best. I felt like the emperor with no clothes on. Had wife come in to see if she noticed anything....newp. 4k Batman looked identical to the Blu-ray versions I already had , minus the losing signal part. So the Blu-Ray version with an inferior projector actually out performs the much more expensive 4k projector and content.

Im willing to accept that something may not be right, but this projector / receiver combo is just not performing well at all.
post #1990 of 2008 Old 01-26-2018, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by madermat View Post
do u think the sony has better contrast then the optoma uhd 60i have the 45 and its pretty good

The Sony should easily beat the UHD60 in Native onff contrast, but ANSI probably goes to the DLP.

Quote:

Sounds to me like the contrast is worse on the UHD60 than your old 1070, so that's making it look more washed out. If you want better contrast you may need to go to the UHD65 instead, but then the increased lag could be an issue. You may be stuck in the middle here.

Have you looked into the Epson Home Cinema 4000 or even the 5040UB? Those are LCD units with much better contrast than the UHD60 but should have better lag times than the UHD65.

Shoot me a PM if you want to delve deeper into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjicecool View Post
Among uhd60 and uhd 65 which one is better. there seems to be 500$ diff in both
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty5 View Post
The UHD65 is superior in contrast and color. The UHD60 has less latency due to not having FI processing, it's geared more towards the gaming community. The UHD60 has 3000 lumens so it's brighter too. If your not going to game much or play games that don't require low latency then UHD65 is the one you want. Just keep in mind that the UHD65 will never have the latency the UHD60 has even with the FI turned off.

And don't forget the UHD65 has a RGBRGB color wheel and the UHD60 uses an RGBY one, which is what accounts for the brightness and color differences.
mighty5 likes this.
post #1991 of 2008 Old 01-26-2018, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Something is defiantly wrong. I just bought a 4k player last night and the 4k version of the Batman Trilogy to see if maybe the fact I was just running the PS4 pro was the problem.

Turned out it wasnt. 4x through the movie my projector / receiver lost video signal. Audio stayed running, just the video cut off for no apparent reason and I got a message on screen saying "no signal found". I had to unplug an reconnect the HDMI cables, then turn off and on the receiver for it to start working again. I bought the cables from Monoprice and got the "Active HDMI" cables that everyone recommended, even bought the expensive fiber cable for the 40 foot projector run I may need in the future, but right now have the receiver so close I was running a 10 ft cord to it. Signal still dropped out.

Even when it was working, I was not impressed in the least. And I mean that sincerely. There was absolutely no visual difference in running a $1800 4k projector , $200 4k player, and a $800 receiver than I had running a $600 1080p projector, a ps4 pro, and a $400 Yamaha vx-867 receiver.

I kept watching, hoping I could find a way to justify this massive expenditure ( for me ) on a side grade at best. I felt like the emperor with no clothes on. Had wife come in to see if she noticed anything....newp. 4k Batman looked identical to the Blu-ray versions I already had , minus the losing signal part. So the Blu-Ray version with an inferior projector actually out performs the much more expensive 4k projector and content.

Im willing to accept that something may not be right, but this projector / receiver combo is just not performing well at all.
This happened to me too. How long is the HDMI run from the PS to the Denon? How long from the Denon to the UHD60?

I am willing to bet it's one of your HDMI cables. Cables say they can run 4K 60hz HDR but that requires 18gbs and A TON of cables can't handle that bandwidth. I went through 5 different "4K" cables through Amazon.

Go to your PS4 Pro menu and set the picture to 2160P YUV and see if it has a picture. Then turn on 2160P RGB and see if it has a picture? turn off the automatic feature and start eliminating variables. Meaning:
1. Take the PS and run it directly thru the PJ. Then turn on the settings that i described above. Does it display in 2160 RGB?
2. If it does, than that cable is good. Try the same thing using the other cables and see if they all work.
3. If they all work and you notice the 4K difference direct through the PJ with NO AV, then its the receiver.
4. Follow these instructions for your AV. https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answe...ections%2C-hdr
I had to do all of this to find out that it was my cable run from the AV to the PJ.
post #1992 of 2008 Old 01-29-2018, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been eyeing up the solid state projectors like the UHZ65, but my wife splurged my projector budget on repairing the central heating. One reason I prefer the solid-states is not having bulb issues. That alone doesn't justify the price difference, though. You'd need to go through quite a few bulbs to even out total cost of ownership. The promise of more stable image degradation over time, better dynamic contrast, HDR10, and closer P3 performance is where the differences lie.

Well, wouldn't you know it, my HD300x bulb went bang on Sunday night and seems to have taken out the color wheel. This is the second time it's happened. The first time the machine was repaired under guarantee. This time, no guarantee. I don't think it's justifiable to try to get it repaired. So, waiting to save up again for a solid state, I'm now looking at the entry level DLP 4Ks. I can currently get the UHD60 for $1'450 and the Acer M550 for $2'000. The Acer has better placement possibilities (+/- 15% vertical, vs +15 for the UHD60) and frame interpolation.

I've not seen these two projectors compared anywhere, so I was wondering if anyone here has seen them head-to-head?

Last edited by afzal_b; 01-30-2018 at 01:37 AM.
post #1993 of 2008 Old 01-31-2018, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkabir View Post
Mine also has C05. I shipped mine out to Optoma to get it updated. Apparently, the current version is C10.
I just got a new one, with C08.

Annoyed I have to ship it to them to have it updated.
post #1994 of 2008 Old 01-31-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by afzal_b View Post
I've been eyeing up the solid state projectors like the UHZ65, but my wife splurged my projector budget on repairing the central heating. One reason I prefer the solid-states is not having bulb issues. That alone doesn't justify the price difference, though. You'd need to go through quite a few bulbs to even out total cost of ownership. The promise of more stable image degradation over time, better dynamic contrast, HDR10, and closer P3 performance is where the differences lie.

Well, wouldn't you know it, my HD300x bulb went bang on Sunday night and seems to have taken out the color wheel. This is the second time it's happened. The first time the machine was repaired under guarantee. This time, no guarantee. I don't think it's justifiable to try to get it repaired. So, waiting to save up again for a solid state, I'm now looking at the entry level DLP 4Ks. I can currently get the UHD60 for $1'450 and the Acer M550 for $2'000. The Acer has better placement possibilities (+/- 15% vertical, vs +15 for the UHD60) and frame interpolation.

I've not seen these two projectors compared anywhere, so I was wondering if anyone here has seen them head-to-head?

I haven’t seen a head to head. There are two sites that have reviewed both.

projectorreviews.com

pjhc.fr

Also here in the states the equivalent Acer V7860 just received a price reduction of $500 less.
post #1995 of 2008 Old 02-04-2018, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi

Did anyone tried calibrate UHD60 and similar result like me? My result is not good as you can see RGB balance curve like below. Is it my methodology has wrong or what's your suggestion?

Player: Apple TV 4K
Pattern source: RM_UHD_HDR10
SW: CalMAN2017R2 Home Theater 5.8.2.85, HDR10 workflow
Meter: X-Rite i1Pro 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	84
Size:	568.9 KB
ID:	2356382   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-05.png
Views:	73
Size:	543.6 KB
ID:	2356384   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-05 (1).png
Views:	79
Size:	934.3 KB
ID:	2356386  
post #1996 of 2008 Old 02-11-2018, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

I have an apple tv 4k, Denon AVR-S710W, Optoma UHD65. I have premium Certified cables all the way through. I cannot get HDMI CEC To work. When I press a button on the apple TV it should turn on receiver and projector. Subsequently when i put the apple tv to sleep, it should put the receiver off and off the projector also. I KNOW THIS WORKS because it used to work with my Sony HW-20.

Right now after my upgrade to optoma uhd projector, the apple still turns on and off the Denon Reciever BUT it does not communicate anything to the projector.

so I am asking kindly that somebody please help me out. Because I love this projector but refuse to keep it without CEC. I am not interested in Logitech harmony or etc ( I have it and don't use it). I need siri which is a apple tv remote feature only. This used to work on my sony so it should work right now. I am missing something so please help me out.
post #1997 of 2008 Old 02-11-2018, 12:43 PM

I have an apple tv 4k, Denon AVR-S710W, Optoma UHD65. I have premium Certified cables all the way through. I cannot get HDMI CEC To work. When I press a button on the apple TV it should turn on receiver and projector. Subsequently when i put the apple tv to sleep, it should put the receiver off and off the projector also. I KNOW THIS WORKS because it used to work with my Sony HW-20.

Right now after my upgrade to optoma uhd projector, the apple still turns on and off the Denon Reciever BUT it does not communicate anything to the projector.

so I am asking kindly that somebody please help me out. Because I love this projector but refuse to keep it without CEC. I am not interested in Logitech harmony or etc ( I have it and don't use it). I need siri which is a apple tv remote feature only. This used to work on my sony so it should work right now. I am missing something so please help me out.
post #1998 of 2008 Old 02-11-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
So how does 1080p program content look on the UHD 65, is there an increase in sharpness / resolution, too, because of the higher amount of pixels or does the "good" lens constitute some kind of bottleneck?

To illustrate my dilemma: I'm using the Optoma HD 83 ("good" lens, too) and thought I'd be getting good resolution from my 1080p Blu-rays - until I saw the JVC DLA-X5500. The X5500 clearly offered more 1080p resolution, but that came with the price of a lot of video 'noise', especally in older films like The Hunt for Red October with a lot of film grain. One buyer in the German HiFi Forum was so annoyed with this that he decided to sell his unit and regretted of having parted with his Sony (another Sony user concurred, feeling he couldn't stand to watch that many 'ants' crawling over the screen).
Asked my friend (who is a JVC pro) and he explained to me that Sony is using filters that take care of the issue, but this results in a decrease of possible detail resolution. It appears my Optoma HD 83 is also using some kind of DNR filters (or is it actually the quality of the lens?).

From what I read here at the AVS the consensus appears to be that letting the projector or a UHD player like the Oppo UDP-203 upscale the 1080p image to 4K doesn't yield a significant sharper picture, but my question remains whether the higher DMD resolution perhaps helps to make look 1080p to look sharper than on a 1080p projector with a very good lens (or at least some kind of comparable quality).

Since I'd be using BDs 90% for the foreseeable time to watch on the UHD 65, this is a very important issue for me (and I'm certain, I'm not the only one).

post #1999 of 2008 Old 02-11-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFlyy View Post
Frank this thread is not to praise DLP either but to share some objective information, isn't it?
I had a chance to get to know W11000 testers opinions in person, spent some time with top of the line JVC/Epson PJs: RS500, RS520/X7500, 6040ub (tested 3d, FHD, HDR where available). Got some colleciton of 20+ UHD movies to test. I would not risk statements that these new machines beat or blow away those mantioned above, which is happening in this thread (at least not based on what I can read/see at this moment).

Maybe I am too skeptical but I leave the enjoyment and conclusions until I have a chance to see something in person or there is more info about it.

I also owned Optoma DLP PJ and was really impressed with it (I dont own Epson by the way and I am still interested in new Optoma UHZ65 and Vivitek models.

The point is that these new DLP projectors are primarily focusing on 1 parameter of UHD game (resolution) - definitely important and will be valued by the users
Sadly the other parameters were not that improved as we could have hoped for/waited as competitors did (native contrast, birghtness, black levels, WCG coverage, optics automation) and they all contribute to the overall image perception/fun.
Others (like me) may value them on the same level (if not more).

Focusing on microphoto details, which we don't know how would be visible on full screen from the distance and derrive conclusions is only partially correct.

Have you seen calibrated images on 4K DLP and Epson that you conclude something delivers and something not?
Assumptions about Epson being calibrated I leave without comment. I can make same assumption about Acer using brilliant color – it would make little sense.

Those photos only prove higher resolution of DLP in big magnification not more not less. I would be interested to see same image not magnified, from 3-4 meters viewing distance distance on both projectors and HDR and FHD test.

Having read in this thread about DLP tech domination, what argument is that ?
Its simply (and I agree with you here) a different fruit.

Lets leave the marketing behind.

post #2000 of 2008 Old 03-09-2018, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I own the UHD60 and love all the 4k i view; 4k games and movies; and its a difference from my 1080.

The fact that yours has dropped signal leads me to think could be an issue with: Your HDMI cable not sending the full 4K signal 18gbps capable; your receiver, settings on your 4k player.

Witcher3 4K on ps4pro; is doing the checkerboard rendering to get 2160p. So it will look good but its not the full real deal. HorizonZeroDawn is checkerboarding as well.

I run ps4pro, xbox x, and my game pc all with 4K games and movies to my uhd60 and love it. I watched the 4K batman trilogy over xbox x and it does look amazing. HDR signals work. 4k games look amazingly sharp. its uncanny.

When you watched your movies, did the HDR logo pop on the top right corner? If you didn't see that, you weren't sending the PJ HDR signal.
Which 4k player are you running?
When you hit the info button on your PJ, does it say 2160p?
If your HDMI cable is only doing 10.2gbps; or if your receiver is only doing 10.2gbps; your 4k video signal could look a bit lesser with 4:2:0. When you are at 18gbps, you can get the full 444 signal and it looks amazing for me.
Which video mode are you on? cinema mode can be a bit dim for movies; if you try vivid things will look brighter and pop more.
post #2001 of 2008 Old 03-09-2018, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 194
i run denon x4300h receiver as well, so it has all the 4k signals 18gbps capability.

must be your HDMI cables ?
post #2002 of 2008 Old 03-10-2018, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I just installed a Denon X4400h and the uhd65. I definitely had cable problems. I only need 10 feet. once I purchased a 4K compliant cable every thing worked perfectly.

with the old cable it was all hit and miss.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #2003 of 2008 Old 09-15-2018, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone know were to get and how to do a firmware update? For the UHD65 ?
post #2004 of 2008 Old 09-15-2018, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post
I just installed a Denon X4400h and the uhd65. I definitely had cable problems. I only need 10 feet. once I purchased a 4K compliant cable every thing worked perfectly.

with the old cable it was all hit and miss.

Joe
This is the exact set up I am looking at. Have you been pleased with it? What screen did you use if you don't mind me asking.
post #2005 of 2008 Old 09-16-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
This is the exact set up I am looking at. Have you been pleased with it? What screen did you use if you don't mind me asking.
We are extremely pleased with it. It is awesome.

Just last night we had a friend in town and watched a movie. She had not seen the new projector yet. We were watching all of the opening credits and she said "I can't get over the picture, and the movie hasn't even started yet.

I have an acoustical transparent screen from a company that went out of business a number of years ago. A guy on the forums here, the built amazing home theaters started a screen company called SMX. It was an awesome product but for some reason the company did not last.

You should love this combination. We do.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #2006 of 2008 Old 03-19-2019, 04:17 AM

Hi all, I recently visited a home cinema retailer and wanted to get a live comparison between Epson TW9400, Sony VW270 and Optoma UHD65.
They retailer told me he is not selling Optoma anymore because of a high frequency noise that the UHD65 was emitting.

Can anyone confirm this?

By the way, my choise went for the Epson due to my evaluation criteria having high brightness and lower costs than the Sony.
post #2007 of 2008 Old 03-23-2019, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by badvlad View Post
Anyone know were to get and how to do a firmware update? For the UHD65 ?
AFAIK, you have to contact Optoma and send it in to them for them to do it.

-----------------------------
Est Sularus oth Mitha
post #2008 of 2008 Old 03-23-2019, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yugsy View Post
Neither of these projectors supports HDMI CEC right? Optoma calls it HDMI Link I think.
If this really has no HDMI-CEC, then it is out of the running for me. Why why anyone take that away? It was also an on/off choice for the consumer and already fully developed...

-----------------------------
Est Sularus oth Mitha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
dlp , hdr , Optoma , uhd , uhd60

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page