VIVITEK HK2288 4K UHD ProjectorPeople: "Jaw dropping... Best HDR we've seen in a pj" - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 129 Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Troy LaMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,122
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Pics and/or videos @stopdog , @vagos1103gr1 ?! :-D

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
Troy LaMont is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 129 Old 10-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Member
 
2L84U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
[quote=vagos1103gr1;54965130]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
My observations from the limited time I had with the HK2288 last night:

* Source Oppo UDP-203 and 4K Blu-Ray's Revenant and San Andreas. UH480 anamorphic lens tested in path and without.

* Extremely detailed solid high res picture, clearly much more detail than my 1080p Acer 9500BD. Contrast lacking, by eye I would guess my Acer 9500BD with an iris has an advantage. I don't have any measuring tools.Main issue I had with picture is color saturation, it is low and I there is no adjustment for it. No option that I could find for Brilliant Color. Both 4K movies Revenant and San Andreas looked spectacular though.

* I did not see any loss of resolution using UH480 anamorphic lens. Oppo 203 does the vertical stretch on 4K sources just fine. I do have pincushioning but most of it hidden by velvet frame on the screen.

* HDR works there is a button on remote. Color saturation is even lower with HDR on. It does make the whole picture stand out more, but contrast and color saturation takes a hit. And oddly, picture adjustments like brightness, contrast, picture modes only work with HDR engaged. Without HDR no picture adjustments work. However, as much as I fiddled with it, still preferred picture with HDR off, contrast better with HDR off, still not great though. Aw something just hit me I did not try any adjustments with the Oppo 203. I will try that tonight !

To me it’s opposite when hdr is on auto doesn’t let me to make adjustments to the picture mode. And for a weird reason to engage the hdr I have to push the hdmi button on the remote. What hdmi cable are you using ?
Do you have any good settings?
Would you be able to test and see if this PJ does 4K HDR10 @ 60hz? I've yet to find one that does and the marketing materials and spec sheets never make it apparent one way or the other. I'd buy this today if it did.
2L84U is offline  
post #93 of 129 Old 10-17-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 70
So I got it wrong the picture controls actually work with HDR control set to OFF, not when HDR is on.

With HDR off, you can adjust color, saturation, contrast, gamma (what is S-Curve Gamma Setting ?), brightness, etc.. I was able to get a much better picture last night after pushing color saturation up to 80 or 90.

With HDR on, you can adjust HDR settings. There are three HDR settings, Normal, Details, and User. I got the best results with Details, or User mode. User mode suggest you can adjust even further in this mode, but so far can't figure out how to do it.

I'm liking HDR mode on the HK2288 more and more. Watching 4K Blu-Ray Mad Max last night in HDR User mode, I was literally blown away how good the picture looked. Looks more like a giant 2.35 flat screen TV than a projector. The image pops off the screen, yet it is not straining to get there, not sure how to explain it exactly. This is in default lamp mode (low). Detail is off the charts crazy good ! I think the lens on the HK2288 must be pretty good too, maybe that's why it's so heavy ?

I don't have any photos or videos yet, I will try.
Troy LaMont and Blasst like this.
stopdog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 129 Old 10-17-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 70
[quote=2L84U;54968334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post

Would you be able to test and see if this PJ does 4K HDR10 @ 60hz? I've yet to find one that does and the marketing materials and spec sheets never make it apparent one way or the other. I'd buy this today if it did.
I only have Oppo 203 w/ 4K Blu-Ray source right now, which defaults to 3840x2160 24hz. Maybe the Oppo 203 can force 60 hz ?
stopdog is offline  
post #95 of 129 Old 10-17-2017, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
vagos1103gr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
[quote=stopdog;54970468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post

I only have Oppo 203 w/ 4K Blu-Ray source right now, which defaults to 3840x2160 24hz. Maybe the Oppo 203 can force 60 hz ?
Today they called me somebody from vivitek after I complained on Facebook about the support. They was surprised that I received the pj before 10 days cause the pj now starts to ship. They told me pb I took it in the early stage and maybe gonna need for exchange with a newer firmware. I send them the firmware that I have and I am waiting for a response.
vagos1103gr1 is offline  
post #96 of 129 Old 10-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Senior Member
 
vagos1103gr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Some pictures watching billy lyns hdr ripped mkv. The first two is hdr off hdr on, the other two are hdr on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03DD6B1A-5CC9-4FA1-8FD7-8EF5B8FA75F0.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2299960   Click image for larger version

Name:	05E22961-CDE8-4525-8EEB-CAA0615CE72C.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	2299962   Click image for larger version

Name:	0B0DF30E-BE2B-4E1C-A9C2-BFCAB4889435.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	2299964   Click image for larger version

Name:	A7D676EA-D779-454F-AC75-7C08D4CF3BD3.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	2299966  
vagos1103gr1 is offline  
post #97 of 129 Old 10-18-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 70
[quote=vagos1103gr1;54971194]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
Today they called me somebody from vivitek after I complained on Facebook about the support. They was surprised that I received the pj before 10 days cause the pj now starts to ship. They told me pb I took it in the early stage and maybe gonna need for exchange with a newer firmware. I send them the firmware that I have and I am waiting for a response.
Got mine from Fry's it was the only one they had in stock.
How do you check the firmware ? So you have to send it back to update firmware ?

Doing some more testing last night, now the picture controls work with HDR On and Off !
I must have been doing something wrong before. Checked the CD and the manual is there. Did see a couple picture adjustments on the manual that I don't have. At least so far !

I finally got everything in its permanent resting place last night on my rack, projector, A lens, amps, Oppo 203. Bottom line.... It's not going back !!
After getting everything adjusted, brought the family in for a viewing of Mad Max and Revenant 4K Blu-Rays and results Ta Da........ : JAWS ON THE FLOOR !!!!
We ended up watching both movies end to end ! Now that's what I'm talking about ! Detail and Color amazing ! Soundtracks whoa !!
The whole notion of lacking contrast and color on the HK2288 is wrong, I was wrong. It does have it and I don't need measurements to prove it. It's more than enough for me.

At least for watching 4K BluRay HD HDR10 encoded movies I don't see how it can get much better than this for the money I paid, for less than $2K its ridiculously good.

As a side note the Oppo 203 performs beautifully as a Pre-Amp. Running 7.1 analog output to input on the Earthquake Cinenova Grand Amps and then to Monitor Audio Gold Reference speakers with the Oppo doing the DTS-HD 7.1 decoding works great. It was without a doubt the best sound I ever had in my theater. The Soundtrack on both Revenant and Mad Max are awesome on their own.

If you can't tell I am thoroughly enjoying my new system !
Troy LaMont, prerich and woodhead2 like this.
stopdog is offline  
post #98 of 129 Old 10-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
 
vagos1103gr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
[quote=stopdog;54975608]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post

Got mine from Fry's it was the only one they had in stock.
How do you check the firmware ? So you have to send it back to update firmware ?

Doing some more testing last night, now the picture controls work with HDR On and Off !
I must have been doing something wrong before. Checked the CD and the manual is there. Did see a couple picture adjustments on the manual that I don't have. At least so far !

I finally got everything in its permanent resting place last night on my rack, projector, A lens, amps, Oppo 203. Bottom line.... It's not going back !!
After getting everything adjusted, brought the family in for a viewing of Mad Max and Revenant 4K Blu-Rays and results Ta Da........ : JAWS ON THE FLOOR !!!!
We ended up watching both movies end to end ! Now that's what I'm talking about ! Detail and Color amazing ! Soundtracks whoa !!
The whole notion of lacking contrast and color on the HK2288 is wrong, I was wrong. It does have it and I don't need measurements to prove it. It's more than enough for me.

At least for watching 4K BluRay HD HDR10 encoded movies I don't see how it can get much better than this for the money I paid, for less than $2K its ridiculously good.

As a side note the Oppo 203 performs beautifully as a Pre-Amp. Running 7.1 analog output to input on the Earthquake Cinenova Grand Amps and then to Monitor Audio Gold Reference speakers with the Oppo doing the DTS-HD 7.1 decoding works great. It was without a doubt the best sound I ever had in my theater. The Soundtrack on both Revenant and Mad Max are awesome on their own.

If you can't tell I am thoroughly enjoying my new system !
You don’t do something wrong. Sometimes the projector doesn’t turned automatically in hdr for this reason let you make adjustments on the image. It’s a bug that probably corrected in a firmware. Our pj was in early stage, me I am waiting from vivitek to exchange. Aldo I am waiting an Optoma UHD60 to make a comparison. The firmware you can see it on the menu/information. I should try Also me a blue ray disc, I have to buy a player.
vagos1103gr1 is offline  
post #99 of 129 Old 10-18-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 70
[quote=vagos1103gr1;54975690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
You don’t do something wrong. Sometimes the projector doesn’t turned automatically in hdr for this reason let you make adjustments on the image. It’s a bug that probably corrected in a firmware. Our pj was in early stage, me I am waiting from vivitek to exchange. Aldo I am waiting an Optoma UHD60 to make a comparison. The firmware you can see it on the menu/information. I should try Also me a blue ray disc, I have to buy a player.
So even it says its in Auto HDR its really not in HDR I see and that's why I could make adjustments. That's not good. Going to check my firmware.
Looking forward to your UHD60 comparison.
I got the Oppo 203 because its the only one that does vertical stretch on 4K for use with anamorphic lens. The quality is great though no regrets there and its a superb preamp.
stopdog is offline  
post #100 of 129 Old 10-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
vagos1103gr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
[quote=stopdog;54975958]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post

So even it says its in Auto HDR its really not in HDR I see and that's why I could make adjustments. That's not good. Going to check my firmware.
Looking forward to your UHD60 comparison.
I got the Oppo 203 because its the only one that does vertical stretch on 4K for use with anamorphic lens. The quality is great though no regrets there and its a superb preamp.
I JUST SPOKE AGAIN WITH THE VIVITEK TECHNITIAN AND I TOLD THEM THE PROBLEM WITH HDR. The willing to swap it with a newer one that has 3 versions upgrade firmware. I can give a credit card to not waiting to sent mine to fix it there. I asked them if can upgrade myself the firmware and they told me i can't since i need a special tool for that. Tomorrow arriving the optima from amazon so i am gonna make some comparison. I really like th pj and i believe with future firmware has potentials. I wish at least to have a logo when it project HDR movies.
vagos1103gr1 is offline  
post #101 of 129 Old 10-18-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 70
[quote=vagos1103gr1;54976374]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post

I JUST SPOKE AGAIN WITH THE VIVITEK TECHNITIAN AND I TOLD THEM THE PROBLEM WITH HDR. The willing to swap it with a newer one that has 3 versions upgrade firmware. I can give a credit card to not waiting to sent mine to fix it there. I asked them if can upgrade myself the firmware and they told me i can't since i need a special tool for that. Tomorrow arriving the optima from amazon so i am gonna make some comparison. I really like th pj and i believe with future firmware has potentials. I wish at least to have a logo when it project HDR movies.
I have 30 days to return mine to FRY's with no restocking fee.
No guarantee if I reorder will get an updated firmware though. Would have to go through manufacturer.
Not sure if its worth it I'm pretty happy.
stopdog is offline  
post #102 of 129 Old 10-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
vagos1103gr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
[quote=stopdog;54976538]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post

I have 30 days to return mine to FRY's with no restocking fee.
No guarantee if I reorder will get an updated firmware though. Would have to go through manufacturer.
Not sure if its worth it I'm pretty happy.
To me its worthing cause as right now it has sometimes problem to go on or off the HDR mode. And of course i prefer to have the latest firmware.

Last edited by teachsac; 10-18-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Post edited for price talk
vagos1103gr1 is offline  
post #103 of 129 Old 10-18-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Edited price talk in quote

[quote=vagos1103gr1;54976646]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
To me its worthing cause as right now it has sometimes problem to go on or off the HDR mode. And of course i prefer to have the latest firmware.
Last night my screen went dark switching from HDR On to HDR Off. That happened a few times already. Hit Resync button on remote and pic comes back.

Last edited by teachsac; 10-18-2017 at 01:23 PM.
stopdog is offline  
post #104 of 129 Old 10-19-2017, 01:41 AM
Senior Member
 
vagos1103gr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
[quote=stopdog;54976680]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post

Last night my screen went dark switching from HDR On to HDR Off. That happened a few times already. Hit Resync button on remote and pic comes back.
The pj for sure doesn’t understand when the hdr has to go off. I tried many hdr movies through NVIDIA shield and when I stop the movie the pj still is on the hdr mode. I can see the color are saturated and in the menu the image and color you can’t select it. I tried to turned off the hdr with the butte on the remote , the hdr says on the menu off , the image and color still you can’t tune it and the colors on the menu of NVIDIA are still saturated, that’s mean is still on hdr even if I turn it off. I had to switch off and on the pj to turn off the hdr.
vagos1103gr1 is offline  
post #105 of 129 Old 10-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
vagos1103gr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Today came the Optoma UHD60. It’s day time now here in Florida so I did some testing cause I couldn’t waiting until evening. From the first impression the optoma looks more bright and sharp. The difference is obvious. I post some images. The optoma doesn’t work at 4k60 with the same hdmi cable that I hooked on vivitek. The 25ft from belkin that works with vivitek in optoma doesn’t even sync. I connected the optoma with a 6ft and I can display with 4k30. More test in the evening. Subscribe on my channel for more news.
The first picture is the optoma the next one the vivitek. The optoma connected with applets 4K locked on 4k30, the vivitek on NVIDIA shield locked on 4k60. Oppo UDP-20
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF1C7CD1-177C-43D1-84D2-EDEFF293E623.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	2301244   Click image for larger version

Name:	D9D526DB-B132-41FC-8DE9-B8916B42B78C.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	2301245   Click image for larger version

Name:	F7F9D3D8-D85B-4F00-BEBE-38074DBF6077.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	2301246   Click image for larger version

Name:	54D9C9EF-F10E-4595-A024-CE0B066A44F7.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	2301248   Click image for larger version

Name:	65EC81F8-B736-4760-BCAA-792666A7E847.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2301250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2088AFE7-CFC4-4840-BFEF-23D4C4E16C71.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	2301252  
JPHCCFC likes this.
vagos1103gr1 is offline  
post #106 of 129 Old 10-19-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,363
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3791 Post(s)
Liked: 3002
The UHD60 should look brighter since it doesn't have an RGBRGB color wheel. One of the key issues with a non-RGBRGB color wheel is how much brightness you lose when switching to a more color accurate but dimmer mode. Sometimes added brightness can make an image appear sharper, so you'd need to even out the brightness level and make sure each projector is on a comparable sharpness setting to do a fair sharpness comparison.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #107 of 129 Old 10-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Still no user manual and still a rather misleading suggestion the projector might be 3D capable (definitely no 3D emitter socket on the access panel).

Sorry, I find this unacceptable, especially since many home theater users are longing for a 3D capable 4K DLP projector. So when will there be a user manual?
Find it unacceptable all you want. The REALITY is that sales of 3D movies and glasses have been sharply declining for a while, and the major flat panel manufacturers have all abandoned the feature, and most projector manufacturers are following suit. It's dead, Jim.
John Nemesh is offline  
post #108 of 129 Old 10-19-2017, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post
Today came the Optoma UHD60. It’s day time now here in Florida so I did some testing cause I couldn’t waiting until evening. From the first impression the optoma looks more bright and sharp. The difference is obvious. I post some images. The optoma doesn’t work at 4k60 with the same hdmi cable that I hooked on vivitek. The 25ft from belkin that works with vivitek in optoma doesn’t even sync. I connected the optoma with a 6ft and I can display with 4k30. More test in the evening. Subscribe on my channel for more news.
The first picture is the optoma the next one the vivitek. The optoma connected with applets 4K locked on 4k30, the vivitek on NVIDIA shield locked on 4k60. Oppo UDP-20
The Vivtek HK2288in the 1st set of pics looks horrible, out of focus or something. Mine never looked like that. I even watched a DVD on my 2288 last night looked better than that. The second set of photos hard to tell, they look about the same sharpness but UHD60 looks more washed out.

Looking forward to night observations.
woodhead2 likes this.
stopdog is offline  
post #109 of 129 Old 10-20-2017, 02:52 AM
Senior Member
 
vagos1103gr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
The Vivtek HK2288in the 1st set of pics looks horrible, out of focus or something. Mine never looked like that. I even watched a DVD on my 2288 last night looked better than that. The second set of photos hard to tell, they look about the same sharpness but UHD60 looks more washed out.

Looking forward to night observations.
After some testing with the optoma i decided the optoma is the winner with more details, the only problem is that it need very good high speed hdmi cable. The cable i was testing was working fine on 4k60 420 10 bit 2020 with vivitek and nvidia shield, but with optoma was giving me maximum 4k30 8bit 709 color. So i setting through nvidia menu to project on 4k24 12bits 420 on both. And here are the results. First image from the left vivitek and second optoma. Both of them are playing hdr movie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0892.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	895.2 KB
ID:	2301474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5148.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	953.6 KB
ID:	2301476   Click image for larger version

Name:	vivitek3.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	801.8 KB
ID:	2301478   Click image for larger version

Name:	optoma 3.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	804.0 KB
ID:	2301480   Click image for larger version

Name:	vivitek4.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2301482  

Click image for larger version

Name:	optoma4.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2301484   Click image for larger version

Name:	vivitek.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2301486   Click image for larger version

Name:	optoma.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2301488   Click image for larger version

Name:	vivitek1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	1,019.7 KB
ID:	2301490   Click image for larger version

Name:	optoma1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	1,014.0 KB
ID:	2301492  

RUN-NE1 and zoro25 like this.

Last edited by vagos1103gr1; 10-20-2017 at 03:05 AM.
vagos1103gr1 is offline  
post #110 of 129 Old 10-20-2017, 06:15 AM
Member
 
CountDooku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It definitely looks like the Vivitek has a strong green push. Would tweaking the color calibration help at all? I'm a complete novice with projectors but I have taken a great interest in this comparison. I'm likely going with one of these two projectors or the Epson 5040UB.

Graphs do not lie. But they do say whatever we want them to say - PT 2010
CountDooku is offline  
post #111 of 129 Old 10-20-2017, 08:03 AM
Member
 
2L84U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post
After some testing with the optoma i decided the optoma is the winner with more details, the only problem is that it need very good high speed hdmi cable. The cable i was testing was working fine on 4k60 420 10 bit 2020 with vivitek and nvidia shield, but with optoma was giving me maximum 4k30 8bit 709 color. So i setting through nvidia menu to project on 4k24 12bits 420 on both. And here are the results. First image from the left vivitek and second optoma. Both of them are playing hdr movie.
To confirm, you were able to do 4k 60hz HDR10 on the Vivitek?

I've been trying to find a projector that supports that and was sad to learn the Optoma does not, so if the Vivitek can that is great news for me.
2L84U is offline  
post #112 of 129 Old 10-20-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
john barlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lansing Michigan
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
No 3D and no zoom for Cinemascope. Already a deal breaker. I'll be keeping my fantastic Epson 5040UB until there are projectors that eliminate the brightness issue with HDR and also includes DolbyVision. I'll be fine with the excellent Epson UHD PJ until then.
Redskin and sparky7 like this.
john barlow is offline  
post #113 of 129 Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 AM
Member
 
JonoG5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
To confirm, you were able to do 4k 60hz HDR10 on the Vivitek?

I've been trying to find a projector that supports that and was sad to learn the Optoma does not, so if the Vivitek can that is great news for me.
The Acer v7850 can do 4K 60Hz HDR. I have it connected and outputting that via my Apple TV 4K right now:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3584.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2301588  
JonoG5 is offline  
post #114 of 129 Old 10-20-2017, 08:31 AM
Member
 
2L84U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoG5 View Post
The Acer v7850 can do 4K 60Hz HDR. I have it connected and outputting that via my Apple TV 4K right now:
Do you know if that's running HDR8 or HDR10?

For reference I think the Optoma does 4k 60Hz HDR, but only at HDR8. For the Acer and this Vivitek I can't find anything definitive.
2L84U is offline  
post #115 of 129 Old 10-20-2017, 08:37 AM
Member
 
JonoG5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
Do you know if that's running HDR8 or HDR10?

For reference I think the Optoma does 4k 60Hz HDR, but only at HDR8. For the Acer and this Vivitek I can't find anything definitive.
I thought the Apple Tv 4k only output HDR10?

Edit: It's definitely HDR10, I just checked with the developer HUD.
2L84U likes this.

Last edited by JonoG5; 10-20-2017 at 08:40 AM.
JonoG5 is offline  
post #116 of 129 Old 10-20-2017, 08:42 AM
Member
 
2L84U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoG5 View Post
I thought the Apple Tv 4k only output HDR10?

Edit: It's definitely HDR10, I just checked with the developer HUD.
Cool, thanks! I may end up grabbing that then.
2L84U is offline  
post #117 of 129 Old 10-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
vagos1103gr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
To confirm, you were able to do 4k 60hz HDR10 on the Vivitek?

I've been trying to find a projector that supports that and was sad to learn the Optoma does not, so if the Vivitek can that is great news for me.
Yes the vivitek does.
vagos1103gr1 is offline  
post #118 of 129 Old 10-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
 
vagos1103gr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post
Yes the vivitek does.
I just spoke with a technician from optoma and they told me to have 4k60 10 bits has to be connected in hdmi 2. And voila.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0383329C-905E-479E-B7DB-8F840DE2CB32.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2301708  
2L84U and zoro25 like this.
vagos1103gr1 is offline  
post #119 of 129 Old 10-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Member
 
2L84U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post
I just spoke with a technician from optoma and they told me to have 4k60 10 bits has to be connected in hdmi 2. And voila.
Well crap, I'd have bought that several weeks ago had I known that. There are some Amazon reviews and even some posts here saying it does not support it.

Thanks for confirming it in fact does.
2L84U is offline  
post #120 of 129 Old 10-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Member
 
nobeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So are we or should we hold off on the Vivitek and the Optoma UHD60? Last time I posted here you guys guided me thru my sony.
I'm looking to update my VPL-HW30AES. I purchased a 1.2 screen and that didnt help make it brighter, Do i need a different type of screen for the 4K?

Last edited by nobeam; 10-20-2017 at 06:18 PM.
nobeam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off