Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4528Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2971 of 3473 Old 11-05-2018, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
nexus99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Is the UHD65 really loud for you guys? Mine seems super loud. And it doesn't seem to be fan noise. Its a hum.

JDM World: https://www.youtube.com/jdmworld
GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
nexus99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2972 of 3473 Old 11-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
JeffChap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
Is the UHD65 really loud for you guys? Mine seems super loud. And it doesn't seem to be fan noise. Its a hum.
Not at all. If mine is in Bright mode I can hear the fan during quiet passages, but don't really notice with any audio playing. In Eco mode, which is what I normally use, you can hardly hear it at all.


If it's not your fan, you might have a noisy color wheel.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
JeffChap is offline  
post #2973 of 3473 Old 11-06-2018, 11:22 AM
Member
 
Circio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi everyone (long time without posting! Feels like ages). I'll be renovating my home theatre setup and was thinking about the uh60 or 65. I know the input lag is noticeably higher on the 65, but I've read some of you still game on it. Is it that bad as the numbers imply?

Also, since both(?) only have hdmi 1.4a, is it a problem? It won't display 4k60 4:4:4 10 bit, but only 8 bit, right? Is it a visible difference?

I'm itching to upgrade my hd143x (which is still going strong).
Circio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2974 of 3473 Old 11-06-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Both projectors have one HDMI 2.0 input with HDCP 2.2 to make the 4K UHD HDR happen. Color depth and refresh frequencies are the same between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circio View Post
Hi everyone (long time without posting! Feels like ages). I'll be renovating my home theatre setup and was thinking about the uh60 or 65. I know the input lag is noticeably higher on the 65, but I've read some of you still game on it. Is it that bad as the numbers imply?

Also, since both(?) only have hdmi 1.4a, is it a problem? It won't display 4k60 4:4:4 10 bit, but only 8 bit, right? Is it a visible difference?

I'm itching to upgrade my hd143x (which is still going strong).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	color.PNG
Views:	54
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	2478726  

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #2975 of 3473 Old 11-07-2018, 07:27 AM
Member
 
Circio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
Both projectors have one HDMI 2.0 input with HDCP 2.2 to make the 4K UHD HDR happen. Color depth and refresh frequencies are the same between them.
Yes, I was reading the product manual and missed the hdmi 2.0 input, silly me.

The only thing missing so would still be 4:4:4 chroma 10 bit and 60 hz (used for gaming only right now). I guess it's something we can live with.
Circio is offline  
post #2976 of 3473 Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Member
 
KevinMRoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hey all,

I’m seriously considering a UHD60. Right now I have a 65” Samsung KS8000, in a SMALL theater room with dual row seating. Back row is about 11’ away, and front row is 7’. Realistically 80-84 inch screen is my max, as the front row would already be pushing it at that size. Mounting distance is fine, at 11.5 feet.


I have a few questions, and I would love some input.

1. Dark Room Performance? Theater is located in a basement, with lots of lighting options. I can go really dark or have some good ambiance via LED smart color lights in a ceiling cove/behind the screen. I know the UHD65 is the better option, however due to having an abundance of Gift Cards I am limited to Best Buy Canada and the UHD65 is not available through them. Will I be severely disappointed with the dark room performance?

2. Screen Size. Is it worth it for this small of screen? I could get a 75” NU8000 and sell my KS8000. Although the NU8000 isn’t as good as the KS8000, would it be a better picture than the UHD60?

3. 3D capability. This isn’t a deciding factor, but I’ve been reading this thread for a few days now. 3D is capable but only with a 1080 120hz source. Has anyone tried with an Xbox One X? From what I understand it is capable of 1080p 120HZ.

Thanks for any input

Last edited by KevinMRoach; 11-07-2018 at 08:23 AM.
KevinMRoach is offline  
post #2977 of 3473 Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
JeffChap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMRoach View Post
Hey all,

I’m seriously considering a UHD60. Right now I have a 65” Samsung KS8000, in a SMALL theater room with dual row seating. Back row is about 11’ away, and front row is 7’. Realistically 80-84 inch screen is my max, as the front row would already be pushing it at that size. Mounting distance is fine, at 11.5 feet.


I have a few questions, and I would love some input.

1. Dark Room Performance? Theater is located in a basement, with lots of lighting options. I can go really dark or have some good ambiance via LED smart color lights in a ceiling cove/behind the screen. I know the UHD65 is the better option, however due to having an abundance of Gift Cards I am limited to Best Buy Canada and the UHD65 is not available through them. Will I be severely disappointed with the dark room performance?

2. Screen Size. Is it worth it for this small of screen? I could get a 75” NU8000 and sell my KS8000. Although the NU8000 isn’t as good as the KS8000, would it be a better picture than the UHD60?

3. 3D capability. This isn’t a deciding factor, but I’ve been reading this thread for a few days now. 3D is capable but only with a 1080 120hz source. Has anyone tried with an Xbox One X? From what I understand it is capable of 1080p 120HZ.

Thanks for any input
1. If ambient light is an issue, the UHD60 is actually the better choice, as it is slightly brighter than the 65 at the expense of slightly reduced color accuracy (RGBY color wheel vs RGBRGB). But from the sounds of it, either would work well for you. My theater is completely light controlled and I run my 65 in Eco (dimmer) mode and it's still plenty bright when the room is fully blacked out.

2. Go with the biggest screen you can fit practically and you'll never regret it. You can always mask it off if needed, but you cannot stretch it. My front row is ~8 feet from my 110" screen and it's not overwhelming. If you're not going to go larger than 75", you'd be better off with a flat panel LED or OLED. Of course, you need to keep in mind the throw length restraints of the projector.

3. AFAIK, 3D is only available with a PC as the source.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
JeffChap is offline  
post #2978 of 3473 Old 11-07-2018, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
nexus99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
1. If ambient light is an issue, the UHD60 is actually the better choice, as it is slightly brighter than the 65 at the expense of slightly reduced color accuracy (RGBY color wheel vs RGBRGB). But from the sounds of it, either would work well for you. My theater is completely light controlled and I run my 65 in Eco (dimmer) mode and it's still plenty bright when the room is fully blacked out.

2. Go with the biggest screen you can fit practically and you'll never regret it. You can always mask it off if needed, but you cannot stretch it. My front row is ~8 feet from my 110" screen and it's not overwhelming. If you're not going to go larger than 75", you'd be better off with a flat panel LED or OLED. Of course, you need to keep in mind the throw length restraints of the projector.

3. AFAIK, 3D is only available with a PC as the source.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
y


1) If you have any light at all the UHD65 is going to be a bad choice. I have a completely light controlled room and the UHD65 is not super bright. It works fine... but even a little light will wash it out.


2) I am 9' from a 120" 16:9 screen. Its perfect for ultrawidescreen movies. And almost too much for 16:9 content. The Expanse at this size this close is dizzying in the space scenes. Its cool :-) 85" or smaller screen I would go with a TV set.

JDM World: https://www.youtube.com/jdmworld
GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
nexus99 is offline  
post #2979 of 3473 Old 11-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
nexus99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
Not at all. If mine is in Bright mode I can hear the fan during quiet passages, but don't really notice with any audio playing. In Eco mode, which is what I normally use, you can hardly hear it at all.


If it's not your fan, you might have a noisy color wheel.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Its definitely not the fan. I can hear that from time to time. And its also not the weird noise it makes when resolution changes. Its a constant hum. Its really starting to bug me. Other than that I really like the unit. Not sure what I can do though.

JDM World: https://www.youtube.com/jdmworld
GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
nexus99 is offline  
post #2980 of 3473 Old 11-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Member
 
KevinMRoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
1. If ambient light is an issue, the UHD60 is actually the better choice, as it is slightly brighter than the 65 at the expense of slightly reduced color accuracy (RGBY color wheel vs RGBRGB). But from the sounds of it, either would work well for you. My theater is completely light controlled and I run my 65 in Eco (dimmer) mode and it's still plenty bright when the room is fully blacked out.

2. Go with the biggest screen you can fit practically and you'll never regret it. You can always mask it off if needed, but you cannot stretch it. My front row is ~8 feet from my 110" screen and it's not overwhelming. If you're not going to go larger than 75", you'd be better off with a flat panel LED or OLED. Of course, you need to keep in mind the throw length restraints of the projector.

3. AFAIK, 3D is only available with a PC as the source.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I would consider a larger LED however then the price/size really shrinks. My room can go from total black, to small ambient, to full lighting, whatever I need. I made sure I put lots of accent lighting in so I can play around with what's good for the movie.



Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
y


1) If you have any light at all the UHD65 is going to be a bad choice. I have a completely light controlled room and the UHD65 is not super bright. It works fine... but even a little light will wash it out.


2) I am 9' from a 120" 16:9 screen. Its perfect for ultrawidescreen movies. And almost too much for 16:9 content. The Expanse at this size this close is dizzying in the space scenes. Its cool :-) 85" or smaller screen I would go with a TV set.
Good to know, I'm glad to see other people sit close as well! Looks like the ratio isn't the 1.5-2 that some recommend. Maybe I'll go with a 90", and the front row will just have to buckle up!!
KevinMRoach is offline  
post #2981 of 3473 Old 11-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
JeffChap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
Its definitely not the fan. I can hear that from time to time. And its also not the weird noise it makes when resolution changes. Its a constant hum. Its really starting to bug me. Other than that I really like the unit. Not sure what I can do though.
Can you mount it inside of a box perhaps? With plenty of ventilation, of course.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
JeffChap is offline  
post #2982 of 3473 Old 11-07-2018, 06:26 PM
Member
 
KevinMRoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
This is my current set up. I normally like to watch with some ambient lighting. Would this wash out the UHD60 much? I can go lower in lighting if needed. But I enjoy looking at the stars while watching 🙂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8A78561C-73DC-4811-9DE3-1C1DE92F31F8_1541640261431.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	2479198   Click image for larger version

Name:	D9B0535D-8533-46CF-AB3B-9410873899D6_1541640279223.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2479200   Click image for larger version

Name:	AAB386AE-C7F4-41B8-8C36-642D8E67628D_1541640354068.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	2479202  
am2model3 likes this.
KevinMRoach is offline  
post #2983 of 3473 Old 11-08-2018, 02:49 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
Its definitely not the fan. I can hear that from time to time. And its also not the weird noise it makes when resolution changes. Its a constant hum. Its really starting to bug me. Other than that I really like the unit. Not sure what I can do though.

It’s probably the XPR eShift actuator.
am2model3 likes this.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #2984 of 3473 Old 11-12-2018, 04:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
optoma uhd60 files

Brand new to 4k/hdr. I have an optoma uhd60 and I am having issues understanding how to get a 4k file to play. The optoma manual is terrible - no help.



SITUATION;

I do not have access to 4k/hdr dvds.

I have limited bandwidth, only can stream 1080p not enough for 4k.

I have an older macbook pro that cannot process 4k files.

I have 4k/hdr files on mac hard drives.

I am running a 25' older high quality hdmi cable.



SOLUTIONS;



How do I play 4k into the projector?


How do I tell if my uhd60 is upscaling ?


Are there user manuals out there that may help me?


Aplogies for my ignorance on this subject however I know I am not getting value out of this projector.
Thanks in advance for any help on this.
fraserview is offline  
post #2985 of 3473 Old 11-13-2018, 12:58 PM
Member
 
AtomicInternet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anybody come across a firmware newer than C13 yet? They added 3D support for specific conditions in C13 and it seems like the next iteration would introduce more widespread support.
AtomicInternet is offline  
post #2986 of 3473 Old 11-14-2018, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 218
awesome cinema room! i love the night stars! if you go with projector; get as big screen as possible! i started at 100" 16x9 and then 2months later went to 135" 16x9 !!

The UHD60; i currently use, is very bright; 2200 to 3000 lumens depending on your settings; a little ambient light won't hurt it.
am2model3 is offline  
post #2987 of 3473 Old 11-14-2018, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I bought my Optoma UHD60 a couple of months ago and have yet to install it. I have a couple of concerns. First, I currently have the Optoma HD26, which is a great projector, and I am still wondering why I bought the UHD60. Be it may, though, I did buy it for around $1,700, and now I want to install it. Second, I have the Sanus VMPR1 mounting hardware installed with my HD26. I tried to find out if the Sanus will also work with the UHD60. Optoma says that if I buy their hardware and it falls it will be under warranty.... wanna bet! I checked out their hardware and they look kinda weak. As a lark, I contacted Sanus, and they says the VMPR1 is the best (at over $200). I've not had any problem using it with the HD26, however, they had 2 reviews, both of they said the same thing.. that it was delivered without all of the necessary hardware to install it. However, everyone I wrote to said I need to get a new one. Is anyone using the SANUS VMPR1 with their UHD60?

Next question... my HDMI cables have been installed to the projector for a while. I bought the Cinnamon HDMI about a year ago. Any chance it is 2.0? My guess is it is 2.0, but I didn't see any markings on it. I had to throw the baby out with the bathwater. It's a great cable. I did by and replace all of my HDMI cables within the last several months. I first bought HDMI cables that had colored connectors because I thought it would help me identify them if I needed to do something with them. I bought them from Monoprice and I got a great price, however, the cable was kinda slim, so I did some research and it was recommended to get "certified" HDMI cables, so I bought some "certified 2.0 HDMI cables" from Monoprice. If I had bought them from Audioquest, I would have been broke, however, the price from Monoprice was great, so I replaced all my HDMI cables to hook up my DISH Satellite Receiver (AV3), my oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray Disk player (AV1), and my Samsung UBD M8500 4K UHD Blu-Ray Disk Player (AV2). All of that is connected to my Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070 Receiver. My cable from the AVR to the HD26 projector is only about 8'.


After all the dumb info...

1. Will the SANUS VMPR! Mounting hardware work with the Optoma UHD60? (to repeat myself, is anyone using the SANUS hardware?)


2. Should I throw the Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cable out and get a new 2.0 HDMI cable? (Is there anyway to test the cable?)

Thanks to all.
jdhelaman is offline  
post #2988 of 3473 Old 11-15-2018, 07:46 AM
DTI
Member
 
DTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhelaman View Post
I bought my Optoma UHD60 a couple of months ago and have yet to install it. I have a couple of concerns. First, I currently have the Optoma HD26, which is a great projector, and I am still wondering why I bought the UHD60. Be it may, though, I did buy it for around $1,700, and now I want to install it. Second, I have the Sanus VMPR1 mounting hardware installed with my HD26. I tried to find out if the Sanus will also work with the UHD60. Optoma says that if I buy their hardware and it falls it will be under warranty.... wanna bet! I checked out their hardware and they look kinda weak. As a lark, I contacted Sanus, and they says the VMPR1 is the best (at over $200). I've not had any problem using it with the HD26, however, they had 2 reviews, both of they said the same thing.. that it was delivered without all of the necessary hardware to install it. However, everyone I wrote to said I need to get a new one. Is anyone using the SANUS VMPR1 with their UHD60?

Next question... my HDMI cables have been installed to the projector for a while. I bought the Cinnamon HDMI about a year ago. Any chance it is 2.0? My guess is it is 2.0, but I didn't see any markings on it. I had to throw the baby out with the bathwater. It's a great cable. I did by and replace all of my HDMI cables within the last several months. I first bought HDMI cables that had colored connectors because I thought it would help me identify them if I needed to do something with them. I bought them from Monoprice and I got a great price, however, the cable was kinda slim, so I did some research and it was recommended to get "certified" HDMI cables, so I bought some "certified 2.0 HDMI cables" from Monoprice. If I had bought them from Audioquest, I would have been broke, however, the price from Monoprice was great, so I replaced all my HDMI cables to hook up my DISH Satellite Receiver (AV3), my oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray Disk player (AV1), and my Samsung UBD M8500 4K UHD Blu-Ray Disk Player (AV2). All of that is connected to my Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070 Receiver. My cable from the AVR to the HD26 projector is only about 8'.


After all the dumb info...

1. Will the SANUS VMPR! Mounting hardware work with the Optoma UHD60? (to repeat myself, is anyone using the SANUS hardware?)


2. Should I throw the Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cable out and get a new 2.0 HDMI cable? (Is there anyway to test the cable?)

Thanks to all.


solve all your worries sell your old projector with your mount hdmi cable as a package buy a new mount & cable hook up that beautiful machine and enjoy

DIY dust box / hush box / ceiling light... http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...633/7qBblE.jpg
DTI is offline  
post #2989 of 3473 Old 11-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all. I have a UHD60. Can anyone link to a calibration tutorial? I've got it pretty decent, but want that little bit more out of it.
Richard Gibbs is offline  
post #2990 of 3473 Old 11-15-2018, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I watched Avengers1 UHD 4K disc last night in HDR mode and DolbyAtmos 5.1.4. The Atmos sound effects were quite good! the 4k HDR video was watchable HDR10; and i put my uhd60 in HDR mode; and turned off "dynamic black" to get a brighter image; i watched the whole film and enjoyable time. Lots of great detail; the character closeups; shadow&light, and thor's electric hammer effects were bright as were other bright/laser white effects in HDR; great contrasts! Watching Avengers2 AgeOfUltron 4K UHD tonight!! and conclude with Avengers:InfinityWar.



HDR mode uses Gamma 1.8; so that must help with the overall imagery.
Gamecock24 likes this.
am2model3 is offline  
post #2991 of 3473 Old 11-17-2018, 06:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserview View Post
Brand new to 4k/hdr. I have an optoma uhd60 and I am having issues understanding how to get a 4k file to play. The optoma manual is terrible - no help.



SITUATION;

I do not have access to 4k/hdr dvds.

I have limited bandwidth, only can stream 1080p not enough for 4k.

I have an older macbook pro that cannot process 4k files.

I have 4k/hdr files on mac hard drives.

I am running a 25' older high quality hdmi cable.



SOLUTIONS;



How do I play 4k into the projector?


How do I tell if my uhd60 is upscaling ?


Are there user manuals out there that may help me?


Aplogies for my ignorance on this subject however I know I am not getting value out of this projector.
Thanks in advance for any help on this.


Get an Nvidia Shield and install Plex. Works amazing
chlanman is offline  
post #2992 of 3473 Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
nexus99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserview View Post
Brand new to 4k/hdr. I have an optoma uhd60 and I am having issues understanding how to get a 4k file to play. The optoma manual is terrible - no help.



SITUATION;

I do not have access to 4k/hdr dvds.

I have limited bandwidth, only can stream 1080p not enough for 4k.

I have an older macbook pro that cannot process 4k files.

I have 4k/hdr files on mac hard drives.

I am running a 25' older high quality hdmi cable.



SOLUTIONS;



How do I play 4k into the projector?


How do I tell if my uhd60 is upscaling ?


Are there user manuals out there that may help me?


Aplogies for my ignorance on this subject however I know I am not getting value out of this projector.
Thanks in advance for any help on this.
You need a source device that can play 4K. 4K doesn't need a ton of bandwidth to stream. Get a Amazon 4K Stick (or similar) and enough bandwidt to stream. Or a 4K Blu-ray player. Tons on sale now. 100 bucks? And a 10 dollar movie.

JDM World: https://www.youtube.com/jdmworld
GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
nexus99 is offline  
post #2993 of 3473 Old 11-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
nexus99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
It’s probably the XPR eShift actuator.
I just opened a ticket with support. I'll report back on what they say.

It sounds like this guys:

JDM World: https://www.youtube.com/jdmworld
GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
nexus99 is offline  
post #2994 of 3473 Old 11-21-2018, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
nexus99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Anyone have a preferred 4K Bluray player for the UHD-65? Its time for me to pick one up!
Jicanew likes this.

JDM World: https://www.youtube.com/jdmworld
GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
nexus99 is offline  
post #2995 of 3473 Old 11-21-2018, 04:15 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
I just opened a ticket with support. I'll report back on what they say.



It sounds like this guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it_iRlzJoto

That could be the actuator like I said or even the color or phosphor wheel.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
Anyone have a preferred 4K Bluray player for the UHD-65? Its time for me to pick one up!

Definitely the Panasonic UB820!
Dave Harper is offline  
post #2996 of 3473 Old 11-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
nexus99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
That could be the actuator like I said or even the color or phosphor wheel.





Definitely the Panasonic UB820!
I knew you were going to say that. Dang! I can't find that one on sale anywhere!

JDM World: https://www.youtube.com/jdmworld
GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
nexus99 is offline  
post #2997 of 3473 Old 11-22-2018, 02:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help: Optoma UHD60 experiencing 4K HDR signal drops/connection issues, even after upg

Hey guys,

I have a Sony UBP-X800, a Chromecast Ultra, and a PS4 Pro, each going into a Denon x3400 which makes a 40+ ft wall run into my UHD60. I was getting frequent signal drops until I upgraded to a Fiber Optic Cable.

Now the Pro and Chromecast have no problem transmitting signal, although neither detect the UHD60 as an HDR device. The X800, however, still experiences sporadic signal drops when playing 4K DVDs. The signal drops come at odd times. For example, I tried watching Dunkirk in 4k, and every time I went to the DVD menu screen the projector would lose signal, but if I started the film and restarted the Denon, everything would work fine and HDR would be triggered.

I tried changing the UHD60 input from HDMI2/MHL to HDMI1, which appears to only support 1080p (when I tried playing Fury Road in 4k through this input, the UHD60 detected it as 2160p, but HDR didn't trigger and the picture was heavily compressed/pixelated).

Does anyone have any solution to this? The obvious answer seems to be that my HDMI run is too long - is it worth me trying yet another Fiber cable? Am I an idiot and completely misinterpreting the issue? Or is there a simpler solution involving HDMI switching that I'm not thinking of?

Any help would be appreciated!
captain_bob is offline  
post #2998 of 3473 Old 11-23-2018, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,326
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Your not an idiot and your not alone as almost all of us have HDMI handshake issues at times. The technology of the HDMI protocol sucks in general. Any weak link in the chain can cause an issue to degraded HDMI chips in any connected component, poor firmware, outside interference, oxidized connectors and poor quality/defective cables. Any change in the signal like switching form 60hz menus to the 24hz movie will cause it to reestablish with a handshake and the screen will blank as this is normal but unfortunately it fails way too often.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is online now  
post #2999 of 3473 Old 11-26-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The PS4 Pro (I force 4:2:0 to eliminate color polarization/banding) and Chromecast Ultra (best 4:2:0 12-bit 4K HDR image anywhere for this projector) should both see the projector as HDR capable.

"The signal drops come at odd times. For example, I tried watching Dunkirk in 4k, and every time I went to the DVD menu screen the projector would lose signal" ... maybe/maybe not as the player may not be outputting HDR all the time. If it's outputting HDR with the movie and SDR with the menus: the UHD60 will unfortunately have to switch from one to the other. I say unfortunately because it takes SEVERAL seconds of black screen until the image returns. On most UHDTV's, the switch from HDR to SDR and vice versa is way faster and almost not noticed if at all.

The HDMI 2 input is for HDMI 1.4 only as the UHD60 only has one HDMI 2.0 4K 60Hz HDR input with HDCP 2.2.

There is a HDMI 1 EQ setting you can try adjusting under the Setup Options menu. I believe 4 is the default.

As always, try connecting each component directly to the projector using your 40+ foot HDMI cable, power cycling and testing various SDR and HDR source material. If they work it's the receiver and/or its settings, if they do not then it may be the cable (unfortunately the receiver wouldn't be ruled out at this point). This will be a painful but necessary step in troubleshooting.

If the cable seems to be the issue, try the Monoprice DynamicView HDMI cable link in my signature. I'm using a 40-foot cable without issue with all of the components in my signature. I'm currently using a UHD51A but I started out with (and still have) an UHD60 that was connected and used with everything listed (including the Chromecast Ultra) using the same cable.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch

Last edited by Wesley Hester; 11-26-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Corrections and additions.
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #3000 of 3473 Old 11-27-2018, 02:31 AM
Senior Member
 
ttn333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_bob View Post
Hey guys,

I have a Sony UBP-X800, a Chromecast Ultra, and a PS4 Pro, each going into a Denon x3400 which makes a 40+ ft wall run into my UHD60. I was getting frequent signal drops until I upgraded to a Fiber Optic Cable.

Now the Pro and Chromecast have no problem transmitting signal, although neither detect the UHD60 as an HDR device. The X800, however, still experiences sporadic signal drops when playing 4K DVDs. The signal drops come at odd times. For example, I tried watching Dunkirk in 4k, and every time I went to the DVD menu screen the projector would lose signal, but if I started the film and restarted the Denon, everything would work fine and HDR would be triggered.

I tried changing the UHD60 input from HDMI2/MHL to HDMI1, which appears to only support 1080p (when I tried playing Fury Road in 4k through this input, the UHD60 detected it as 2160p, but HDR didn't trigger and the picture was heavily compressed/pixelated).

Does anyone have any solution to this? The obvious answer seems to be that my HDMI run is too long - is it worth me trying yet another Fiber cable? Am I an idiot and completely misinterpreting the issue? Or is there a simpler solution involving HDMI switching that I'm not thinking of?

Any help would be appreciated!
Make sure ARC and all things related are turned off in your receiver and player. See if that helps. Also switch inputs with one of the other device and see if that works to narrow down the issue.

Edit: meant arc not cec.

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite

Last edited by ttn333; 11-27-2018 at 10:18 AM.
ttn333 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off