Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4525Likes

post #3001 of 3440 Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserview View Post
Brand new to 4k/hdr. I have an optoma uhd60 and I am having issues understanding how to get a 4k file to play. The optoma manual is terrible - no help.

SITUATION;

I do not have access to 4k/hdr dvds.

I have limited bandwidth, only can stream 1080p not enough for 4k.

I have an older macbook pro that cannot process 4k files.

I have 4k/hdr files on mac hard drives.

I am running a 25' older high quality hdmi cable.

SOLUTIONS;

How do I play 4k into the projector?

How do I tell if my uhd60 is upscaling ?

Are there user manuals out there that may help me?

Aplogies for my ignorance on this subject however I know I am not getting value out of this projector.
Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Oh Boy! Back to the forums after almost 3 years! There goes our $$$$

I have the UHD-60 in my basement.
  • Ceiling mounted where my Epson 1080P used to be
  • 110" Silver Elite Screen
  • Sony STR-DH790 AV receiver
  • Sony UBP-X700 4K DVD Player
  • Dish 4K Joey
  • 7.1 speaker setup

I love this projector! I am aware it is not pure native 4K, but the pixel shifting technology works great. The image I get is unbelievable.

Sources tested:
  • Many 4K DVDs
  • Amazon Prime 4K content
  • Many Youtube 4K content
  • Several regular Blu-Ray DVDs upscaled by the Sony UDP-X800
  • Dish 1080 content (not upscaled to 4K)

It is critical to use the right high-speed HDMI cables. I use a BlueRigger 35' cable to connect the AV receiver to the projector. Each equipment is connected to the AV receiver through inexpensive HDMI cables.

Note: To have full 4K resolution from streaming devices, you'll need a good internet connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3440 Old 12-03-2018, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't know what I have done, but I can't get any of my 4K or B-R discs to play. All I see is a piano and I have trouble turning it off with my remote. I can't get the menu up from my remote. I bought it from Best Buy back in April and just was able to put it up due to emergency surgery and hospitalization. Now I don't know what to do. Will Best Buy help with their Geek Squad? I am willing to pay anyone to set it up for me. I am 70 and I am having trouble doing anything now. I would appreciate any help you can give me. I have the UHD60 connected to my Yamaha RX-A3070 with the oppo bdp-93 and the Samsung M8500 and a Dish Receiver. I can get the Dish Receiver to display on the projector. Please help if you have any idea about what I can do. I'm not rich, but I always pay in cash.

Thanks for your time.
post #3003 of 3440 Old 12-04-2018, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhelaman View Post
I don't know what I have done, but I can't get any of my 4K or B-R discs to play. All I see is a piano and I have trouble turning it off with my remote. I can't get the menu up from my remote. I bought it from Best Buy back in April and just was able to put it up due to emergency surgery and hospitalization. Now I don't know what to do. Will Best Buy help with their Geek Squad? I am willing to pay anyone to set it up for me. I am 70 and I am having trouble doing anything now. I would appreciate any help you can give me. I have the UHD60 connected to my Yamaha RX-A3070 with the oppo bdp-93 and the Samsung M8500 and a Dish Receiver. I can get the Dish Receiver to display on the projector. Please help if you have any idea about what I can do. I'm not rich, but I always pay in cash.

Thanks for your time.

Where are you located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3004 of 3440 Old 12-04-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Where are you located?
The crossroads of Interstate 95 and Interstate 40. Dunn North Carolina. Where are you. I have a brother in law whose name is Dave Harper in South Carolina. He's a great guy and I wish I could see him more often.. at least once a year.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #3005 of 3440 Old 12-04-2018, 06:02 PM

I'm sure there is at least one that saw my recent posting. Well, I found out what happened, although, for the life of me, I don't know how it happened, but my HDMI cable from my Samsung M8500 was disconnected, so I connected it and started turning on some things. I wanted to test my projector with my M8500 and the UHD60, so I loaded Star Trek and it blew me away. The color, the sound, it was and is amazing.

Now my only concern is, which 4K DVD or DVDs do you recommend? What a blast!
am2model3 likes this.
post #3006 of 3440 Old 12-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 80
My 2 month old UHD65 is off for repairs today :-(

JDM World: https://www.youtube.com/jdmworld
GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
post #3007 of 3440 Old 12-04-2018, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
I'm sure there is at least one that saw my recent posting. Well, I found out what happened, although, for the life of me, I don't know how it happened, but my HDMI cable from my Samsung M8500 was disconnected, so I connected it and started turning on some things. I wanted to test my projector with my M8500 and the UHD60, so I loaded Star Trek and it blew me away. The color, the sound, it was and is amazing.

Now my only concern is, which 4K DVD or DVDs do you recommend? What a blast!
A movie I frequently use to show mine off is the original Pacific Rim.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #3008 of 3440 Old 12-04-2018, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
The crossroads of Interstate 95 and Interstate 40. Dunn North Carolina. Where are you. I have a brother in law whose name is Dave Harper in South Carolina. He's a great guy and I wish I could see him more often.. at least once a year.

I’m in Hawaii. I have family down south, mostly around Atlanta. Maybe he’s kin folk?

I hear I’m a great guy too!
am2model3 likes this.
post #3009 of 3440 Old 12-09-2018, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'm soliciting any UHD65 owners input. I'm about to buy my first projector and am trying to decide between the UHD65 and the UHZ65 with both being within my budget. I know the UHZ65 can produce the better all around image between the two.

Here's my usage profile:
1. I'm retired and on a fixed income so PJ purchases have an impact
2. 75% of my PJ usage will be as a computer monitor with the rest for streaming and movies (no gaming at all)
3. As a retired but still active software developer I spent so much time on the computer I'll likely blow through 20K hours of usage in less than 5 years. As stated Eco mode would be the light intensity 75% of the time.
4. I'm in a light controlled viewing environment with black out curtains so ambient light is not a factor
5. I've been using my HDTV(s) as a computer monitor since 2003 so a bigger screen (likely 100") won't be much of an adjustment

Right now I'm leaning towards the lamp based UHD65 on the assumption that the PJ would likely continue to work with regular lamp replacements more than 5 years and maybe a preferred 8 years, like the plasma HDTV it would be replacing. Sure I'd like the better image and convenience of a laser PJ but I simple don't know if I could afford a replacement within 5 years.

So my question is, with my usage profile, would the lamp based UHD65 be a safer investment for me?

I would appreciate any input an owner would wish to share, thanks.

Last edited by 3DSammy; 12-09-2018 at 06:48 AM.
post #3010 of 3440 Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just purchased a UHD65 and have my Roku ultra connected through my Yamaha RX A-2080 to the HDMI 2 port on the projector, but it says “source not found”. It works just fine if I connect the Roku directly to the HDMI 2 port and it works if I connect it through the receiver to the projectors HDMI 1 port. When connected to port 1 it only registers through the Roku as 4K @ 30Hz instead of 60Hz when connected direct to the projector to port 2. Anyone else having similar problems? Thanks
post #3011 of 3440 Old 12-09-2018, 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=btmille;55502912]I received an FAQ PDF back from Optoma Tech support.

In that, they showed how to Reset the HDMI 2.2 port. Here is how to do that:

1. Please turn off and unplug your projector. While the projector is unplug hold down the menu button on the unit.
2. While continuing to hold down the menu button, reconnect the power plug to the projector
You should see the power LED flashing between red and blue
3. Once the Power LED switch to a flashing blue LED only. IMMEDIATELY let go of the menu button and wait unit you see the power LED flash purple. Once it is purple IMMEDIATELY press the menu button once.
4.After you press the menu once the power LED should flash purple and the TEMP / LAMP LED should flash red together.
Let the projector go though and reset the HDCP back to HDCP 2.2. Once completed the LED will flash blue then red, which means you are done

I tried this reset just to see if it would work, but it didn’t
FYI-
post #3012 of 3440 Old 12-09-2018, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmellon View Post
Just purchased a UHD65 and have my Roku ultra connected through my Yamaha RX A-2080 to the HDMI 2 port on the projector, but it says “source not found”. It works just fine if I connect the Roku directly to the HDMI 2 port and it works if I connect it through the receiver to the projectors HDMI 1 port. When connected to port 1 it only registers through the Roku as 4K @ 30Hz instead of 60Hz when connected direct to the projector to port 2. Anyone else having similar problems? Thanks

This is most likely a cable or cable length issue.

What cables are these and are they certified UHD ones on all legs of the transport?
post #3013 of 3440 Old 12-09-2018, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. The house is new construction and I had them prewire for a projector. Its a Pro flex “high speed HDMI cable with Ethernet” cable, probably 25-30 ft long. Of course it’s plenty long on the receiver end and too short on the projector end and I can’t pull it through, so I had put an hdmi-hdmi connector in and added a length of hdmi cable to reach. The section I added is brand new and rated for 4K. Strange that it all works when plugged into the #1 port but not the #2 port?
post #3014 of 3440 Old 12-09-2018, 04:27 PM
DTI

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
My 2 month old UHD65 is off for repairs today :-(
what happened to your uhd65

DIY dust box / hush box / ceiling light... http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...633/7qBblE.jpg
post #3015 of 3440 Old 12-09-2018, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTI View Post
what happened to your uhd65
Super super loud. Loud enough to be clearly heard while movies were in full tilt.

post #3016 of 3440 Old 12-09-2018, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmellon View Post
Thanks for the reply. The house is new construction and I had them prewire for a projector. Its a Pro flex “high speed HDMI cable with Ethernet” cable, probably 25-30 ft long. Of course it’s plenty long on the receiver end and too short on the projector end and I can’t pull it through, so I had put an hdmi-hdmi connector in and added a length of hdmi cable to reach. The section I added is brand new and rated for 4K. Strange that it all works when plugged into the #1 port but not the #2 port?

That's your likely culprit and couplers are a big no-no.

For UHD60 & UHD65, you'd need an active optical cable (RUIPRO or Monoprice) for that length to reliably get 4K HDR 60Hz.

Or you could first try this powered voltage inserter to see if it helps:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #3017 of 3440 Old 12-10-2018, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How do these work with a 150in screen and 4k? It says only 140in in some descriptions
post #3018 of 3440 Old 12-10-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris404 View Post
That's your likely culprit and couplers are a big no-no.

For UHD60 & UHD65, you'd need an active optical cable (RUIPRO or Monoprice) for that length to reliably get 4K HDR 60Hz.

Or you could first try this powered voltage inserter to see if it helps:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the advice Kris404. Thankfully I had them put in flexible conduit before sheetrock went up. They of course didn't use it to run the cable that is up there.
post #3019 of 3440 Old 12-10-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia Sony View Post
That's very interesting. According to a user review post in Amazon.de, Optoma UHD550x does support PC 3D with firmware C13....
It would be interesting to know which brand/model of DLP Active shutter glasses he used with the positive test. I'd be trying this with a Linux Mint PC and the multi-platform free sView 3D player on a i3-6100 CPU HTPC (not a NVidia GPU). I would still need to purchase 3D DLP glasses so would love to know what at least worked with a Nvidia graphics card.

The sView player is not supposed to need any hardware acceleration. It would be cool if a cheap 3D option really works as I just ordered a UHD65 today and was assured that all their stock had C13 installed. It doesn't appear a latter firmware is available as I got them to contact Optoma directly.
post #3020 of 3440 Old 12-11-2018, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is anyone else having issues with their UHD65 or UHD60 going out of focus as it connects to a Blu-ray/4K disc that just finished loading? Unless I’m going crazy, I notice the picture becomes soft (like slightly out of focus).....and the black resolution menu box that pops up at the bottom right side of the screen also shows slightly out of focus. Once the disc is loaded, I have to slightly readjust the focus ring on the projector (UHD65) and it remains in focus for the entire movie. But once the movie is over and I exit back to the Sony X800 4K player’s main menu, the projector changes resolution again and it falls slightly out of focus again.

Needless to say, it’s annoying to always have to readjust the focus for every movie. It appears to be caused by the projector changing resolutions.

Thanks,
Nathan
post #3021 of 3440 Old 12-11-2018, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Anyone else had an issue with UHD60 With some sort of like "Smoke Animation specially visible in white or gray color" like something Steaming off you can notice it definitely like on a still image.

I did took it in to Optoma to have a look at it. Just was wondering if anyone else experiencing anything like it ?

I did made a small clip of the problem

You have to actually watch it on full screen to see what I am talking about on left side on the top

Thank You!
post #3022 of 3440 Old 12-11-2018, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DSammy View Post
I'm soliciting any UHD65 owners input. I'm about to buy my first projector and am trying to decide between the UHD65 and the UHZ65 with both being within my budget. I know the UHZ65 can produce the better all around image between the two.

Here's my usage profile:
1. I'm retired and on a fixed income so PJ purchases have an impact
2. 75% of my PJ usage will be as a computer monitor with the rest for streaming and movies (no gaming at all)
3. As a retired but still active software developer I spent so much time on the computer I'll likely blow through 20K hours of usage in less than 5 years. As stated Eco mode would be the light intensity 75% of the time.
4. I'm in a light controlled viewing environment with black out curtains so ambient light is not a factor
5. I've been using my HDTV(s) as a computer monitor since 2003 so a bigger screen (likely 100") won't be much of an adjustment

Right now I'm leaning towards the lamp based UHD65 on the assumption that the PJ would likely continue to work with regular lamp replacements more than 5 years and maybe a preferred 8 years, like the plasma HDTV it would be replacing. Sure I'd like the better image and convenience of a laser PJ but I simple don't know if I could afford a replacement within 5 years.

So my question is, with my usage profile, would the lamp based UHD65 be a safer investment for me?

I would appreciate any input an owner would wish to share, thanks.

I would go for the UHZ. My UHD 65 is fine... but even in my completely light controlled room I wish it were brighter.

post #3023 of 3440 Old 12-12-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
I would go for the UHZ. My UHD 65 is fine... but even in my completely light controlled room I wish it were brighter.
First off thanks for your input. My concern about requiring a new PJ in less than 5yrs has won the day and I pulled the trigger on a UHD65. Hopefully I'll find the balance between risk aversion and image quality/brightness reduction. Either way it's a gamble for me. I can see myself having no problem affording a new projector in less than 5yrs but there is a lot of people predicting a recession by than time so a retired person needs to lean towards caution. I've also read in this very forum a large number of people comment that the UHD65 was too bright. I guess that opinion, is based a primarily on your view room, personal light sensitivity and preferred calibration settings.
Again, I appreciate your response to my query.
post #3024 of 3440 Old 12-14-2018, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I love my UHD60 but bought it when it first came out and on C5 firmware... I don't have the packaging and would like to get the firmware updated. Has anyone done this recently?

Also anyone have condensation on the inside of the projector lens?

Theater build thread: It's MillerTime Build Progress!

Got Kids or need a Custom Yeti Mug???
Shark Tank Wife's company she owns
Lincoln&Lexi
post #3025 of 3440 Old 12-16-2018, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTimeISU View Post
I love my UHD60 but bought it when it first came out and on C5 firmware... I don't have the packaging and would like to get the firmware updated. Has anyone done this recently?

Also anyone have condensation on the inside of the projector lens?

I have not done it myself My projector is gone for repairs. Even though they said the stuff I see on screen is normal calling it heatwaves. However they are upgrading the firmware for me.. I am sure if you call optoma they can walk you thru the firmware upgrade process. I have the UHD60 as well.
post #3026 of 3440 Old 12-16-2018, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 3
When I play 1080p blu ray movies on my Optoma UHD550 (it is similar than UHD60/65) the picture is quite sharp. I am wondering if my projector upscales this 1080p blu ray movies to nearly 4K quality or I see normal 1080p blu ray quality. Does UHD60/65 automatically upscale 1080p blu ray movies to 4K quality?

I like the sharpness of the picture on my Optoma UHD550X when I watch 1080p blu ray movies and I am wondering if I would get the same sharpness with Epson 4K Enhancement projectors. I am wondering to buy some other projector because I just hate RBE in UHD550X.
post #3027 of 3440 Old 12-16-2018, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichGoBlue View Post
Ordered my UHD 65 from Projector People on Thursday and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Senior Customer Rep John Sullivan there was very helpful answering my questions as I was making the final decision to take the plunge to replace my 2 year old LG PF1500.

My main concerns this point deal with my location and long HDMI cable. I have my current projector mounted a little lower than where this one should be, so I will first test it there and see if it works okay without much distortion. I have a 40' HDMI cable run around the outside of the room behind furniture, it was supposed to be 4k ready so hopefully will work okay, otherwise I will buy a fiber cable instead.

Also I just ordered a Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player to use with the projector after reading about them here. I don't have any 4K movies but would like to see how upscaled Blurays will look.
I'm using a 30' with no problems.

post #3028 of 3440 Old 12-16-2018, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheater101 View Post
I have not done it myself My projector is gone for repairs. Even though they said the stuff I see on screen is normal calling it heatwaves. However they are upgrading the firmware for me.. I am sure if you call optoma they can walk you thru the firmware upgrade process. I have the UHD60 as well.
Mine is out for repair too. Any idea how long the turn around is? I am going to hate not having this during the holidays. That will really disappoint me.

post #3029 of 3440 Old 12-17-2018, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think I have narrowed down my search for a 4k projector...for those of you that own the UHD65...

1. Will the UHD65 play well with a Dark Energy 1.4 Pulsar ALR Screen?

2. I have a 100" screen and wonder where will the UHD65 have to be placed to be able to get that size image? I have a ceiling fan that isn't helpful and currently my projector is mounted about 15' right above my seating area...be nice if I could push it back a 5 feet to the back wall...

Yamaha CX-A5200, Emotiva DR2 Gen3, Emotiva XPA3 Gen3, Martin Logan Ethos, 50XT, Motion 20s, Motion FX, Motion AFX, Motion 4s
post #3030 of 3440 Old 12-17-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokbandit View Post
2. I have a 100" screen and wonder where will the UHD65 have to be placed to be able to get that size image? I have a ceiling fan that isn't helpful and currently my projector is mounted about 15' right above my seating area...be nice if I could push it back a 5 feet to the back wall...
You should download the user manual as it's on the Optoma web site. For a 100" image the manual says the throw distance from the lens to the screen must be: 3.08 to 4.91 meters or 10.10 to 16.11 feet (pg 52)

After the UHD65 is positioned you use the manual Zoom Lever and Lens Shift Dial (down only, 7.35 inch max) adjustments (pg 9) for final image size and vertical position. Remember there is no keystone correction so the UHD65 must project on a level to the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page