Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4531Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3121 of 3494 Old 01-25-2019, 02:26 AM
Member
 
ukaussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkeous View Post
Wow, I thought buying a $160 fiber optic HDMI cable took care of these types of issues, but with a little looking online it seems that is not the case.

Are you able to provide a brand/model for the inserter you used, or are they all pretty much the same?
I want to try this for sure.

Thanks!
No issues with Monoprice one that I have read and I have 2 as I had to buy a longer cable a few months later due to some changes to my media room. Both worked great for me.
Directly connected to a XBox One X

_________________________________________
130" of 4K HDR picture via XBox One X - Optoma UHD60
Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR Cable for HDMI Enabled Devices, [email protected], YUV4:4:4, 30ft
ukaussi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3122 of 3494 Old 01-25-2019, 02:44 AM
Member
 
ukaussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As many here use an XBox One X with their UHD60/65, can you point me to a best value Receiver if I just want 1 input (XB1X) and no fancy effects, just plain DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos etc
Currently HDMI bypasses my Onkyo TX-NR515 and just use optical cable from XB1X to receiver.
Basically looking for upgrade to Atmos and also it is a 110v US receiver connected to a voltage regulator (Monster) which is connected to a voltage convertor (240v to 110v) as I now live in Australia so would like to simplify.
Cheers

_________________________________________
130" of 4K HDR picture via XBox One X - Optoma UHD60
Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR Cable for HDMI Enabled Devices, [email protected], YUV4:4:4, 30ft
ukaussi is offline  
post #3123 of 3494 Old 01-25-2019, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
JeffChap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread

I have a Denon S730 paired with my UHD65 and Xbox One X that checks all your boxes. I'm quite happy with it.

This is last year's model, so you should be able to find one rather cheaply.

Last edited by JeffChap; 01-25-2019 at 09:19 AM.
JeffChap is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3124 of 3494 Old 01-28-2019, 01:57 AM
Member
 
Spixe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question DIY firmware update

This I'm sure is a foolish question, but is there any possible way or hope of somehow doing a firmware update at home? I've moved with my projector overseas, to China to be specific, where they don't have a support base, so there's no way to get a firmware update. My pj is starting to randomly drop signal (and reconnect right after, but not with several seconds in between), and I've never see any HDR video work on it, so I'm thinking an update might help, since I'm still on C10.

Is this possible, or just a pipe dream?
Spixe is offline  
post #3125 of 3494 Old 01-28-2019, 04:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spixe View Post
This I'm sure is a foolish question, but is there any possible way or hope of somehow doing a firmware update at home? ...
Is this possible, or just a pipe dream?
Unfortunately it's likely a pipe dream. I've not read of anyone hacking in anyway the projector's firmware or upgrading without a return to Optoma. Ridiculous in this day and age but it is what it is.
3DSammy is offline  
post #3126 of 3494 Old 01-28-2019, 05:01 PM
Member
 
t.glinos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canada
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Picked a unit up on the weekend. Spent hours installing it and "dialing in" my gear. It does a very nice job of scaling OTA hdtv to 4k. Wife was very very impressed. I was doing the final tweaks and the stupid plastic lens zoom lever broke. Arrgh!!
t.glinos is offline  
post #3127 of 3494 Old 01-28-2019, 08:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.glinos View Post
Picked a unit up on the weekend. Spent hours installing it and "dialing in" my gear. It does a very nice job of scaling OTA hdtv to 4k. Wife was very very impressed. I was doing the final tweaks and the stupid plastic lens zoom lever broke. Arrgh!!
Yow. That's just not right. I know the first time I adjusted mine that it had that feel like maybe I could push it too far. Sorry to hear that.
Rick
rdlohr is offline  
post #3128 of 3494 Old 01-28-2019, 08:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DSammy View Post
Unfortunately it's likely a pipe dream. I've not read of anyone hacking in anyway the projector's firmware or upgrading without a return to Optoma. Ridiculous in this day and age but it is what it is.
Exactly. I turned on my Oppo 203 last week and it asked me if I wanted to upgrade my firmware. I said yes, it did it, rebooted, and I was running with upgraded firmware. That's how it is done.

Rick
rdlohr is offline  
post #3129 of 3494 Old 01-29-2019, 04:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all
Although I have been on the forum for a while now, I write little, because I am Spanish and I do not barely get English.
I have read almost all the post, and I have many problems to calibrate my uhd 60, someone could put some calibration to know where to start because I am totally lost
Thank you
mister_z1 is offline  
post #3130 of 3494 Old 01-29-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
After watching some 50+ 4k blu rays on my Panasonic UB900 and Optoma UHD60, these are the settings I have found to work the best for a majority of the content I watch:


Optoma UHD60:

Display Mode: HDR
Wall Color: Off
Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode Standard
Brightness: -1
Contrast: -2
Sharpness: 8
Color: 6 (I start at 19, then drop to 10, then 6, then 3, if needed, to get good skin tones on a per movie basis)
Tint: -2
Gamma: 1.8
Ultra Detail: 1 (I notch it up to 2 or 3 on really clean movies, but otherwise keep it at 1, especially if there is a lot of film grain)
Dynamic Black: On
Brilliant Color: 3 (This works for most movies, but sometimes have to drop it to 2 if there is a lot of situations where white is being blown out or acting funny due to dynamic black being on)
Color Temp: D65
Color Gamut: Cinema
CMS: Defaults
Color Space: Auto
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:
Red Gain: -4
Green Gain: -1
Blue Gain: 12
Red Bias: 0
Green Bias: -1
Blue Bias: 2


Panasonic UB900:
Luma: +1
Edge: +4
Contrast: +1
Black Gamma: +2 (sometimes +3)
Noise Reduction: Optional - If it's an older movie with a lot of distracting film grain, I might set all three noise filters between a value of 1 to 3, until I'm comfortable with the picture

After about 5 more months, I have found a few more setting changes that work better for the majority of content I watch:


Optoma UHD60 (using an Nvidia Shield as source):

Display Mode: HDR
Wall Color: Off
Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode Bright
Brightness: 0
Contrast: -2
Sharpness: 8
Color: 3 or 6 usually
Tint: -2
Gamma: 2.0
Ultra Detail: 1 (I notch it up to 2 or 3 on really clean movies, but otherwise keep it at 1, especially if there is a lot of film grain)
Dynamic Black: On
Brilliant Color: 2 (Though I prefer the skin tones with this value set to 3, I get better contrast/black levels dropping this to 2)
Color Temp: D65
Color Gamut: Cinema
CMS: Defaults
Color Space: Auto
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:
Red Gain: -4
Green Gain: -1
Blue Gain: 12
Red Bias: 0
Green Bias: -1
Blue Bias: 2


If I'm watching 1080P material, I switch to Cinema and have color set to 19


With 4K discs in the Panasonic UB-900:
Luma: +1
Edge: +4
Contrast: +1
Black Gamma: +3 (sometimes +4)
Noise Reduction: Optional - If it's an older movie with a lot of distracting film grain, I might set all three noise filters between a value of 1 to 3, until I'm comfortable with the picture
Wesley Hester and gadianton like this.
m0j0 is offline  
post #3131 of 3494 Old 01-29-2019, 06:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by URPREY View Post
I too spent $160 on a RUIPRO fiber optic cable. After sending me a replacement cable and a lot of back and forth, they sent me this inserter and that fixed the problem for me 100% https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XX5T43B
Thanks for the suggestion, but this did not work for me. I got the RUIPRO inserter and tried it at both the source and display, and it did not fix the problem. The UHD60 just doesn't handle the "signal change" well, if that's what you would call it. I think it's ridiculous that a 4K player ever needs to drop the video signal. But I have no issue with an even longer 50 ft cable going to a Vizio TV - no drops in the picture.
bonkeous is offline  
post #3132 of 3494 Old 01-29-2019, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Analyzer52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hyattsville, MD
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good Evening,

Can anyone give me an idea of what it cost to get one of these fixed? I may have an opportunity to buy one that needs repair but not fully sure what's wrong with it. I realize it would be risk but if I can buy it cheap enough and the repair is not outrageous it might be worth it. Can these only be fixed by Optoma or do third parties work on them? It appears it can display menus but can't find the hdmi 1 or 2 when you hook a source to it. Any information would be appreciated.


Thanks in advance.
Analyzer52 is offline  
post #3133 of 3494 Old 01-30-2019, 01:51 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello
Thank you very much for your response, last night I was doing tests on the projector and in the end I left it very similar to the parameters that you have put me in the forum without having seen them, it is curious because the color and contrast had it very high and I thought that when I put it at level 0 I was going to lose a lot of color and it's not like that
Thank you very much for your help
mister_z1 is offline  
post #3134 of 3494 Old 01-30-2019, 07:44 AM
Member
 
URPREY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkeous View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but this did not work for me. I got the RUIPRO inserter and tried it at both the source and display, and it did not fix the problem. The UHD60 just doesn't handle the "signal change" well, if that's what you would call it. I think it's ridiculous that a 4K player ever needs to drop the video signal. But I have no issue with an even longer 50 ft cable going to a Vizio TV - no drops in the picture.
Sorry that didn't work for you. Your symptoms were exactly the issue I was having. Hopefully you can find another fix.

Optoma UHD65 ..:.. 124" WilsonArt DW screen
Yamaha RX-A770 receiver
Xbox One X and Shield TV
Controlled by a Harmony Elite
Philo and YouTubeTV user
URPREY is offline  
post #3135 of 3494 Old 01-30-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_z1 View Post
Hello
Thank you very much for your response, last night I was doing tests on the projector and in the end I left it very similar to the parameters that you have put me in the forum without having seen them, it is curious because the color and contrast had it very high and I thought that when I put it at level 0 I was going to lose a lot of color and it's not like that
Thank you very much for your help

Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy your projector!
m0j0 is offline  
post #3136 of 3494 Old 01-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Newbie
 
Wicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My UHD60's image has gotten a lot more washed out since I got it last April. 4K games on the XboxOneX that used to seem stunning in HDR now look pretty mediocre. Typically I use the default HDR settings and set Brightness at -3. About a week ago I upped the Color setting from the default to 50 and it seemed to fix the problem. Eventually I started to noticed the color of background images like skys simmering as if the projector was adjusting itself and now it seems like the projector is back to the way it was before. Wondering if I should send the projector into Optoma to get looked at or if I might need to change out the projector bulb. Has anyone seen any behavior like this?
Wicker is offline  
post #3137 of 3494 Old 01-30-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Redskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have a UHD-65. I just replaced my Sony UBP-X800 player with a Panasonic DP-UB820 for the tone mapping. Just got it set up, and I am not seeing the HDR flash in the upper right of the screen when I play a UHD disc, whereas it always popped up on the Sony . I am just getting started with tweaking the player but does that mean that I am not getting HDR? Any initial thoughts on where to start?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Redskin is offline  
post #3138 of 3494 Old 01-30-2019, 01:51 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
After watching some 50+ 4k blu rays on my Panasonic UB900 and Optoma UHD60, these are the settings I have found to work the best for a majority of the content I watch:


Optoma UHD60:

Display Mode: HDR
Wall Color: Off
Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode Standard
Brightness: -1
Contrast: -2
Sharpness: 8
Color: 6 (I start at 19, then drop to 10, then 6, then 3, if needed, to get good skin tones on a per movie basis)
Tint: -2
Gamma: 1.8
Ultra Detail: 1 (I notch it up to 2 or 3 on really clean movies, but otherwise keep it at 1, especially if there is a lot of film grain)
Dynamic Black: On
Brilliant Color: 3 (This works for most movies, but sometimes have to drop it to 2 if there is a lot of situations where white is being blown out or acting funny due to dynamic black being on)
Color Temp: D65
Color Gamut: Cinema
CMS: Defaults
Color Space: Auto
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:
Red Gain: -4
Green Gain: -1
Blue Gain: 12
Red Bias: 0
Green Bias: -1
Blue Bias: 2


Panasonic UB900:
Luma: +1
Edge: +4
Contrast: +1
Black Gamma: +2 (sometimes +3)
Noise Reduction: Optional - If it's an older movie with a lot of distracting film grain, I might set all three noise filters between a value of 1 to 3, until I'm comfortable with the picture

After about 5 more months, I have found a few more setting changes that work better for the majority of content I watch:


Optoma UHD60 (using an Nvidia Shield as source):

Display Mode: HDR
Wall Color: Off
Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode Bright
Brightness: 0
Contrast: -2
Sharpness: 8
Color: 3 or 6 usually
Tint: -2
Gamma: 2.0
Ultra Detail: 1 (I notch it up to 2 or 3 on really clean movies, but otherwise keep it at 1, especially if there is a lot of film grain)
Dynamic Black: On
Brilliant Color: 2 (Though I prefer the skin tones with this value set to 3, I get better contrast/black levels dropping this to 2)
Color Temp: D65
Color Gamut: Cinema
CMS: Defaults
Color Space: Auto
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:
Red Gain: -4
Green Gain: -1
Blue Gain: 12
Red Bias: 0
Green Bias: -1
Blue Bias: 2


If I'm watching 1080P material, I switch to Cinema and have color set to 19


With 4K discs in the Panasonic UB-900:
Luma: +1
Edge: +4
Contrast: +1
Black Gamma: +3 (sometimes +4)
Noise Reduction: Optional - If it's an older movie with a lot of distracting film grain, I might set all three noise filters between a value of 1 to 3, until I'm comfortable with the picture
Thank you very much I have already tested your settings and they are really good and although this projector has problems with blacks it looks great obviously modified a bit some parameters but very little
Attached photos of the result
Thanks again great work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190130_194513_1548881431243.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2518324   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190130_192015_1548881447781.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2518326  
m0j0 likes this.
mister_z1 is offline  
post #3139 of 3494 Old 01-30-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_z1 View Post
Thank you very much I have already tested your settings and they are really good and although this projector has problems with blacks it looks great obviously modified a bit some parameters but very little
Attached photos of the result
Thanks again great work

You're quite welcome. Enjoy your projector!
m0j0 is offline  
post #3140 of 3494 Old 01-30-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker View Post
My UHD60's image has gotten a lot more washed out since I got it last April. 4K games on the XboxOneX that used to seem stunning in HDR now look pretty mediocre. Typically I use the default HDR settings and set Brightness at -3. About a week ago I upped the Color setting from the default to 50 and it seemed to fix the problem. Eventually I started to noticed the color of background images like skys simmering as if the projector was adjusting itself and now it seems like the projector is back to the way it was before. Wondering if I should send the projector into Optoma to get looked at or if I might need to change out the projector bulb. Has anyone seen any behavior like this?

Drop brilliant color down to 2 and that should negate the shimmering. I would recommend you try the other settings I have listed in this thread as well, as, in my experience, lowering brightness too much (and I think -3 is a bit too much) may cause you to lose some detail in darker scenes.
m0j0 is offline  
post #3141 of 3494 Old 01-30-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
I have a UHD-65. I just replaced my Sony UBP-X800 player with a Panasonic DP-UB820 for the tone mapping. Just got it set up, and I am not seeing the HDR flash in the upper right of the screen when I play a UHD disc, whereas it always popped up on the Sony . I am just getting started with tweaking the player but does that mean that I am not getting HDR? Any initial thoughts on where to start?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a UB900 and always see the HDR flash in upper right when watching HDR content, so I would say yes, you're player does not appear to be passing an HDR signal. Which input are you plugged into for the UB820?
m0j0 is offline  
post #3142 of 3494 Old 01-30-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Redskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I have a UB900 and always see the HDR flash in upper right when watching HDR content, so I would say yes, you're player does not appear to be passing an HDR signal. Which input are you plugged into for the UB820?
Thanks m0j0,

I think I may have the beginnings of an answer. I bought the UB820 for the tone mapping (which at first glance seems to be working brilliantly). Everyone seems to recommend using SDR2020 for settings vs HDR2020 for proper tone mapping. Looks like that might not be sending the proper signal to the projector to enable the HDR flag. Now I am trying to figure out which is the lesser of two evils.
Redskin is offline  
post #3143 of 3494 Old 01-31-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
Thanks m0j0,

I think I may have the beginnings of an answer. I bought the UB820 for the tone mapping (which at first glance seems to be working brilliantly). Everyone seems to recommend using SDR2020 for settings vs HDR2020 for proper tone mapping. Looks like that might not be sending the proper signal to the projector to enable the HDR flag. Now I am trying to figure out which is the lesser of two evils.

Let us know what you figure out. May be in the market for an 820 in the future, so would like to know what your resolution was.
m0j0 is offline  
post #3144 of 3494 Old 01-31-2019, 07:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
I have a UHD-65. I just replaced my Sony UBP-X800 player with a Panasonic DP-UB820 for the tone mapping. Just got it set up, and I am not seeing the HDR flash in the upper right of the screen when I play a UHD disc, whereas it always popped up on the Sony . I am just getting started with tweaking the player but does that mean that I am not getting HDR? Any initial thoughts on where to start?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I also have a UHD65 and am just getting to calibrating my HDR settings. While testing the settings I have noticed that the flash of the HDR overlay icon is not always consistent especially if it's already displayed for a specific source device (e.g. Roku Ultra). That despite having played SDR content in between HDR content. To make matters just a little more confusing is that when you actually have the "HDR" Display Mode enabled but move to SDR sources (Menu or non-HDR encoded content) the screen flashes and you notice the image colors change but if you check the UHD65's menu the display mode is still HDR and you must manually change it to a SDR display mode (e.g. Cinema).
I can always tell if the projector is recognizing HDR content by checking the Display Mode selection menu:
1. HDR is ONLY available as an option if the video source is HDR encoded
2. If you had already selected HDR display mode and returned back to the Display Mode selection menu HDR is still highlighted and ALL other modes are grayed out
3. Go to the projector's on screen menu Information panel. Scroll down below "Lamp Hours" and look at "Color Format". You will see:
- BT709 SDR and BT601 SDR (for any non-UHD source). The BT601 SDR is a [email protected] source in this case (a PC).
- BT2020 SDR (for UHD non-HDR source and Display mode is NOT HDR selected)
- BT2020 HDR (for UHD HDR sources with Display Mode HDR selected)
4. Make sure that the Display mode you are using has the Image Settings->Dynamic Range->HDR "Auto". If HDR is set to "Off" your brain is going to hurt when testing HDR content because you'll never get to set HDR display mode.

I don't know if the "Color Format" can be altered by modifying an "Image Setting" so #3 's comments are true for out-of-the-box image settings. I didn't include looking at the Information panels "Color Depth" as it seems to reflect the input device rather than the source content. Example a Roku Ultra always showing 10 bit independent of the content encoded color bit depth.
Wesley Hester likes this.
3DSammy is offline  
post #3145 of 3494 Old 02-02-2019, 06:35 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
m0j0, Nice work (once again) on your HDR settings. I am running beta 30.6.131.56 on my Shield. With the colorspace fix on it and your settings, HDR really pops on my UHD60.
m0j0 likes this.
cjeman is offline  
post #3146 of 3494 Old 02-02-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjeman View Post
m0j0, Nice work (once again) on your HDR settings. I am running beta 30.6.131.56 on my Shield. With the colorspace fix on it and your settings, HDR really pops on my UHD60.

Always happy to hear it when someone is able to get good use out of the settings. It's a great match with the Shield and the UHD60!
m0j0 is offline  
post #3147 of 3494 Old 02-03-2019, 02:30 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All, recently installed my UHD60. When watching a 21:9 movie the top and bottom borders seem very bright, like a grey rather than a black. It certainly takes your eye away from the fantastic clarity the projector is producing. I’ve played with a few settings, reference mode improves it mildly. It’s odd because the other blacks on the screen are just that! Any suggestions? Is it normal? Thank you!
Slinford is offline  
post #3148 of 3494 Old 02-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Member
 
sresener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
Thanks m0j0,

I think I may have the beginnings of an answer. I bought the UB820 for the tone mapping (which at first glance seems to be working brilliantly). Everyone seems to recommend using SDR2020 for settings vs HDR2020 for proper tone mapping. Looks like that might not be sending the proper signal to the projector to enable the HDR flag. Now I am trying to figure out which is the lesser of two evils.

I have a uhd65 connected to a sony x800 and I am also contemplating a 820. Have you seen a noticeable improvement with the panny yet or are you still ironing out your hdr issue.


Is there any difference in audio quality with 820.
sresener is offline  
post #3149 of 3494 Old 02-03-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Redskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sresener View Post
I have a uhd65 connected to a sony x800 and I am also contemplating a 820. Have you seen a noticeable improvement with the panny yet or are you still ironing out your hdr issue.





Is there any difference in audio quality with 820.
[/URL]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=56591998[URL]

In most things audio and video once you get to a certain level the differences are subtle. With this player though I feel that the differences are huge with a projector. I think it's probably the same from most projectors. The tone mapping makes a huge difference. Hopefully I was able to post these pictures from a different thread. These pics aren't mine but it shows a good example of how tone mapping works on a projector.

I'm not sure about how much improvement there is an audio, if any, because I have been really focused on video, but I am thrilled with my purchase of this Blu-Ray player for the upgrade and picture quality of video on the UHD 65. Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Redskin is offline  
post #3150 of 3494 Old 02-04-2019, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
madbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
Thanks m0j0,

I think I may have the beginnings of an answer. I bought the UB820 for the tone mapping (which at first glance seems to be working brilliantly). Everyone seems to recommend using SDR2020 for settings vs HDR2020 for proper tone mapping. Looks like that might not be sending the proper signal to the projector to enable the HDR flag. Now I am trying to figure out which is the lesser of two evils.

I'll be interested in what you find out as well. If your UB820 is only sending SDR to the projector, the Sony X800 can probably also do that by disabling HDR in the settings.
madbrain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off