Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4526Likes

post #3181 of 3464 Old 02-13-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttn333 View Post
Maybe it's the "dark grey wall" you're projecting onto? Have you tried using a real screen?

Have you set the projector to use the grey wall setting? Are you looking at 1080p material or 4k/HDR material? Is it detecting HDR signal and using those settings? You will want/need to do some tweaking to get the picture looking good, so spend some time researching what others are using for settings and give those a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3464 Old 02-14-2019, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Have you set the projector to use the grey wall setting? Are you looking at 1080p material or 4k/HDR material? Is it detecting HDR signal and using those settings? You will want/need to do some tweaking to get the picture looking good, so spend some time researching what others are using for settings and give those a try.
I did try the grey wall setting and it ended up turning the whole screen a weird hue so I kept that setting off. I looked at 1080p and 4K/HDR material. It does flip to HDR once I play HDR content but it's like switching an input or something every time the resolution changes jumping in and out of apps/games/content. Very distracting. I'll keep tinkering with the color settings. I got a hold of some calibration specs from earlier in this thread and will try them later.

Does every 4K HDR projector have that "source finding input" screen when moving in and out of 1080p to 4K content? I really don't like that but suppose I could live with it.

Thanks for all the help!
post #3183 of 3464 Old 02-14-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobhit101 View Post
I did try the grey wall setting and it ended up turning the whole screen a weird hue so I kept that setting off. I looked at 1080p and 4K/HDR material. It does flip to HDR once I play HDR content but it's like switching an input or something every time the resolution changes jumping in and out of apps/games/content. Very distracting. I'll keep tinkering with the color settings. I got a hold of some calibration specs from earlier in this thread and will try them later.

Does every 4K HDR projector have that "source finding input" screen when moving in and out of 1080p to 4K content? I really don't like that but suppose I could live with it.

Thanks for all the help!

I don't really have a problem with the finding input stuff. I use either an Nvidia Shield or a Panasonic 4k blu ray player as my source. Don't remember, but maybe has to do with the resolution settings I have in place on these devices and/or bit level settings, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3184 of 3464 Old 02-14-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 371
I have a hard time believing you would make a decision on a projector while showing it on a dark gray wall.

Jack
post #3185 of 3464 Old 02-14-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I have a hard time believing you would make a decision on a projector while showing it on a dark gray wall.
Lol, well believe it! Honestly, in our last home, we had it projecting onto a light grey wall for several years before finally purchasing a screen and it always looked really good. Good enough, anyway. I do plan on getting a screen very soon, just had to be sure about the screen size.
post #3186 of 3464 Old 02-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 122
What are you using as source material? Try pulling up some 4K UHD content on the Xbox's YouTube app and see what you think.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
post #3187 of 3464 Old 02-21-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
What are you using as source material? Try pulling up some 4K UHD content on the Xbox's YouTube app and see what you think.
Haven't thought about that — I'll try that later tonight. Everything runs through my Xbox One X. Not sure if I'm experiencing stockholm syndrome but the picture does seem to be getting better (brighter). Could the bulb have needed a few hours of use before "warming up?" I also decided to roll the dice and keep the projector (mostly out of laziness) and am hoping for the best once my screen comes in and I get around to installing the in-wall speakers. We've got a million other projects going on with the new home, work travel and two rugrats running around so my play time with the projector room is sadly sporadic at best . I'll update soon.
post #3188 of 3464 Old 02-22-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobhit101 View Post
Haven't thought about that — I'll try that later tonight. Everything runs through my Xbox One X. Not sure if I'm experiencing stockholm syndrome but the picture does seem to be getting better (brighter). Could the bulb have needed a few hours of use before "warming up?" I also decided to roll the dice and keep the projector (mostly out of laziness) and am hoping for the best once my screen comes in and I get around to installing the in-wall speakers. We've got a million other projects going on with the new home, work travel and two rugrats running around so my play time with the projector room is sadly sporadic at best . I'll update soon.

I think you will be quite happy once you get your screen in place. It's one thing to project onto a wall and quite another to project onto a screen surface. You should see great improvement in all facets of your projectors image, including brightness, color, contrast and black levels. Make sure to search this forum for calibration settings as well, so you can get the best out of your projector. Good luck!
post #3189 of 3464 Old 02-25-2019, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 218
i love my uhd60! incredible 4k dlp xpr visuals for the price! 4k/60 games on my pc!
post #3190 of 3464 Old 02-27-2019, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question distance to a bottom of the screen

Hi Guys

I want to buy this projector. The problem I have is that my room is to narrow (287cm) so, I know it's wild, but I want to use first surface reflection mirror on the back wall to get required 327cm distance for 109 inch screen.
Long story short, in order to do it I need to calculate the size of the mirror and to do it I need the distance between bottom of the screen and the ground floor (or ceiling to the top of the screen)

I attached the image

I checked optoma official distance calculator and it says 0, but projectorcentral gives me 8 inches so question for you guys, can anyone tell me whats the value of H (from my drawing in attachment?)

ps. Yes I know about UST projectors but don't want to use them because of the super flat screen requirement (already played with 4k dell)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pj.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	2531694  
post #3191 of 3464 Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having trouble with this projector but it may be my TVs fault. I have trouble with the video handshake to my projector when my Sony TV is turned off. Marantz tech said it seems like the receiver has a edid issue determining the power state of the tv. I have to go in and switch HDMI main off in settings. The TV on works fine when Projector is off. It is on Main 2. If both devices are on then I have no issue.
post #3192 of 3464 Old 02-27-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull81 View Post
Hi Guys

I want to buy this projector. The problem I have is that my room is to narrow (287cm) so, I know it's wild, but I want to use first surface reflection mirror on the back wall to get required 327cm distance for 109 inch screen.
Long story short, in order to do it I need to calculate the size of the mirror and to do it I need the distance between bottom of the screen and the ground floor (or ceiling to the top of the screen)

I attached the image

I checked optoma official distance calculator and it says 0, but projectorcentral gives me 8 inches so question for you guys, can anyone tell me whats the value of H (from my drawing in attachment?)

ps. Yes I know about UST projectors but don't want to use them because of the super flat screen requirement (already played with 4k dell)

Thanks!

I mount my UHD60 from the ceiling and the lens is about even with the top of the screen, and it also let's me adjust up or down.
post #3193 of 3464 Old 02-27-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiboney View Post
I'm having trouble with this projector but it may be my TVs fault. I have trouble with the video handshake to my projector when my Sony TV is turned off. Marantz tech said it seems like the receiver has a edid issue determining the power state of the tv. I have to go in and switch HDMI main off in settings. The TV on works fine when Projector is off. It is on Main 2. If both devices are on then I have no issue.

Maybe consider getting an externally powered HDMI switch that runs out of the Marantz on either Main 1 or 2, and hook one hdmi out going to your TV and the other to your projector.
post #3194 of 3464 Old 02-27-2019, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe consider getting an externally powered HDMI switch that runs out of the Marantz on either Main 1 or 2, and hook one hdmi out going to your TV and the other to your projector.
When I had the Marantz SR6011 it only had 1 main out and i tried two different splitters. Both had same issue when TV was off. I think the TV doesn't have a full power off setting. I didn't try a switch though just a splitter.
post #3195 of 3464 Old 02-27-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiboney View Post
When I had the Marantz SR6011 it only had 1 main out and i tried two different splitters. Both had same issue when TV was off. I think the TV doesn't have a full power off setting. I didn't try a switch though just a splitter.

It's worth trying a switch in my opinion. You should be able to pick one up for about 20-30 dollars. Make sure it's a powered switch though (with a DC plug).
post #3196 of 3464 Old 02-28-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinford View Post
Hi All, recently installed my UHD60. When watching a 21:9 movie the top and bottom borders seem very bright, like a grey rather than a black. It certainly takes your eye away from the fantastic clarity the projector is producing. I’ve played with a few settings, reference mode improves it mildly. It’s odd because the other blacks on the screen are just that! Any suggestions? Is it normal? Thank you!

You can make some masking that will cover up the area of the screen where the grey bars are showing. Do a search for cheap cinescope masking on the forums and see what you come across.
post #3197 of 3464 Old 03-01-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good day All, I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly if Replying to someone or posting a question...which is what I'm attempting to do.
Forgive me for erring in any manner.
I have a uhd60, I have it mounted, have not put up the screen as of yet but I'm perplexed as to how I can retrieve 4k output on this thing.
I do have 2 long cables ( I purchased 15 ft thinking that'd be enough and had to purchase another 15) and connected them via a Rocketfish (Best Buy) coupler.
It connects to an iArkPower 3 port HDMI switch which supports [email protected] on there I have my apple tv 4k and Firestick 4k connected, I can not get 4k whatsoever.
Is is the coupler? is it the port switch?
Recommendations, suggestions and optimum settings suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
It took like 8 years to convince my wife to let me do this change and now that I have it, I want to get as good as possible, within a budget
Optoma won't be used for gaming or pc, just cinema, and sporting events etc.
Thanks in advance.
post #3198 of 3464 Old 03-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURRAMBERO View Post
Good day All, I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly if Replying to someone or posting a question...which is what I'm attempting to do.
I have a uhd60, I have it mounted, have not put up the screen as of yet but I'm perplexed as to how I can retrieve 4k output on this thing.
I do have 2 long cables ( I purchased 15 ft thinking that'd be enough and had to purchase another 15) and connected them via a Rocketfish (Best Buy) coupler.
It connects to an iArkPower 3 port HDMI switch which supports [email protected] on there I have my apple tv 4k and Firestick 4k connected, I can not get 4k whatsoever.
Recommendations, suggestions and optimum settings suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
It took like 8 years to convince my wife to let me do this change and now that I have it, I want to get as good as possible, within a budget
Thanks in advance.
Have you tried plugging in the firestick or apple tv directly? If 4k works there then we can limit the issue to the cable or coupler. I think it could be either. The next step would be firestick - cable - projector without the coupler. Then with. Should be able to figure it out by the process of elimination.
CURRAMBERO likes this.
post #3199 of 3464 Old 03-01-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURRAMBERO View Post
Thanks in advance.

In my experience, it's usually a problem with the hdmi switch. I would recommend either connecting directly or using a recent audio/video receiver (AVR) that supports 4k @60Hz and 4:2:0 (10 bit) color sub sampling. Also, I would not couple the HDMI cable as that can introduce instability in the signal, especially at that length. Just buy a single 20-30 foot HDMI cable. Here's one I can recommend:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...gaAms8EALw_wcB
CURRAMBERO likes this.
post #3200 of 3464 Old 03-01-2019, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 122
If it does turn out to be an issue with your cables, I'm getting 4k HDR10 on my UHD65 with a 40' Monoprice Cabernet cable that you can get on Amazon for $54.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Ceejay, m0j0 and CURRAMBERO like this.
post #3201 of 3464 Old 03-01-2019, 11:34 AM

Liked: 12
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone encountered this issue before?

I purchased this projector (UHD60) about 5 months ago. a few days ago while watching TV it just turned off. The projector had the lamp failure light go solid and the power light go red and blinking. I tried turning it back on and it goes to blue momentarily and again the red lamp failure and blinking red power light came on. I unplugged the machine for about an hour and retried it. Again the red failure light came on and the power light is constantly blinking.

When I got the machine the lamp hours was around 10 hours and as of a few days ago the lamp hours was around 600 hours. I ordered a new OEM bulb and replaced it today. Unfortunately the lamp failure is still solid red and power is blinking red. Any other ideas? I opened an RMA w/ Optoma but wanted to see if anything else could be done.
post #3202 of 3464 Old 03-01-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlisoft View Post
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone encountered this issue before?

I purchased this projector (UHD60) about 5 months ago. a few days ago while watching TV it just turned off. The projector had the lamp failure light go solid and the power light go red and blinking. I tried turning it back on and it goes to blue momentarily and again the red lamp failure and blinking red power light came on. I unplugged the machine for about an hour and retried it. Again the red failure light came on and the power light is constantly blinking.

When I got the machine the lamp hours was around 10 hours and as of a few days ago the lamp hours was around 600 hours. I ordered a new OEM bulb and replaced it today. Unfortunately the lamp failure is still solid red and power is blinking red. Any other ideas? I opened an RMA w/ Optoma but wanted to see if anything else could be done.

Sounds like you did the right thing. Most likely it's either a bad lamp or bad lamp driver.
post #3203 of 3464 Old 03-01-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Got my UHD60 up today, 3.4 throw distance gives me 110" screen, but I will go for 106" for wiggle room.

Can I confirm that the test pattern displays the exact edge of the screen display? I seemed to think there was about 50mm of light bleed around this which will be hidden by the flocked edge of the screen but wasn't expecting that.
post #3204 of 3464 Old 03-02-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you did the right thing. Most likely it's either a bad lamp or bad lamp driver.
So I tried to reseat the lamp again and when it started up the same problem happened. I then pressed the power on and off. Holding it on and off. After a few times it magically started working again!!! This is using the new bulb. I'm hesitant to put back the old bulb which seems ok but I'll probably stay with the new bulb because it stopped working the first time.
m0j0 likes this.
post #3205 of 3464 Old 03-02-2019, 01:48 AM

Lightbulb My fix for the HDMI source hunting

I too have been having the source hunting issue and seemed to have fixed it for me. My setup is a Denon X4400H with 35ft UGreen Fiber cables. The hunting has been particularly bad the past few weeks and sometimes it would take 5-8 minutes or a power cycle on my nVidia shield @ 4k/60FPS/HDR.

After I got my projector working I was looking around and found some interesting articles.

(1) I found more info on the HDMI EQ setting. According to this it seems setting it higher is better?? When I changed it to 1 it didn't seem to help but when I set it to 7 it seemed to hunt faster. According to the article "increasing HDMI will result in a more aggressive adjustments to timing to improve signal quality when using long cables". My default was (4).

(2) I didn't realize the HDMI input mattered but according to Denon the closer to the HDMI output the better the source signal. I never realized it but my nVidia was using #1 which was the one farthest away!! So I moved mine to the HDMI CD which is the closest

After doing the above two the hunt was no longer a problem. What used to randomly take 30 seconds to 5 - 10 mins (not a typo) now takes less than a second.

(3) I also tried disabling the Video conversion by Denon but that disables the OSD which is much prettier (and easier to read) than the LEDs on the front-panel.

Hopefully this will help others with their HDMI hunt. I guess I don't need to get that HDMI voltage increase after all

Good luck all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	optoma_HDMI_EQ.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	2533192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Denon_4K_02.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	2533194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Denon_4K_01.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	2533196  
post #3206 of 3464 Old 03-02-2019, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Bought my UHD60 tonight and wondering if anybody can send me calibrated settings. I’m sure it’s in here but there are a lot of posts to sift through. My room sees ambient light at times and I prefer a somewhat vivid picture. Have a great day
post #3207 of 3464 Old 03-02-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlisoft View Post
I too have been having the source hunting issue and seemed to have fixed it for me. My setup is a Denon X4400H with 35ft UGreen Fiber cables. The hunting has been particularly bad the past few weeks and sometimes it would take 5-8 minutes or a power cycle on my nVidia shield @ 4k/60FPS/HDR.

After I got my projector working I was looking around and found some interesting articles.

(1) I found more info on the HDMI EQ setting. According to this it seems setting it higher is better?? When I changed it to 1 it didn't seem to help but when I set it to 7 it seemed to hunt faster. According to the article "increasing HDMI will result in a more aggressive adjustments to timing to improve signal quality when using long cables". My default was (4).

(2) I didn't realize the HDMI input mattered but according to Denon the closer to the HDMI output the better the source signal. I never realized it but my nVidia was using #1 which was the one farthest away!! So I moved mine to the HDMI CD which is the closest

After doing the above two the hunt was no longer a problem. What used to randomly take 30 seconds to 5 - 10 mins (not a typo) now takes less than a second.

(3) I also tried disabling the Video conversion by Denon but that disables the OSD which is much prettier (and easier to read) than the LEDs on the front-panel.

Hopefully this will help others with their HDMI hunt. I guess I don't need to get that HDMI voltage increase after all

Good luck all!

That's really good info. Thanks for sharing!
post #3208 of 3464 Old 03-02-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post
Bought my UHD60 tonight and wondering if anybody can send me calibrated settings. I’m sure it’s in here but there are a lot of posts to sift through. My room sees ambient light at times and I prefer a somewhat vivid picture. Have a great day

Here's the settings I am using:

Optoma UHD60 (using an Nvidia Shield as source):

Display Mode: HDR
Wall Color: Off
Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode Bright
Brightness: 0 (sometimes I drop this to -1, depending on the source)
Contrast: -2
Sharpness: 8
Color: 3 or 6 usually
Tint: -2
Gamma: 2.0
Ultra Detail: 1 (I notch it up to 2 or 3 on really clean movies, but otherwise keep it at 1, especially if there is a lot of film grain)
Dynamic Black: On
Brilliant Color: 2 (2 helps with contrast/black levels but if the source is really good, I bump it to 3)
Color Temp: D65
Color Gamut: Cinema
CMS: Defaults
Color Space: Auto
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:
Red Gain: -4
Green Gain: -1
Blue Gain: 12
Red Bias: 0
Green Bias: -1
Blue Bias: 2

If I'm watching 1080P material, I switch to Cinema and have color set to 19

With 4K discs in the Panasonic UB-900:
Luma: +1
Edge: +4
Contrast: +1
Black Gamma: +3 (sometimes +4)
Noise Reduction: Optional - If it's an older movie with a lot of film grain, I might set all three noise filters between a value of 1 to 3, until I'm comfortable with the picture
post #3209 of 3464 Old 03-03-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Need recommendations on a 20 foot HDMI cable capable of 4k @60fps , 4:2:2 10 bit for the Optoma UHD60. I had a monoprice 15 foot cable that had been great, but I'm purchasing new theater seats so the AV rack needs to move a few feet out and now I need a 20 foot run. I bought a 20 foot HDMI cable from monoprice but the signal drops out after a little while and doesn't come back. I tried setting the hdmi EQ to 7 like another poster, but that doesn't resolve the issue. I don't want to spend 150 dollars on a cable, so something within the 20-80 dollar range please. Thanks!
post #3210 of 3464 Old 03-03-2019, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Need recommendations on a 20 foot HDMI cable capable of 4k @60fps , 4:2:2 10 bit for the Optoma UHD60. I had a monoprice 15 foot cable that had been great, but I'm purchasing new theater seats so the AV rack needs to move a few feet out and now I need a 20 foot run. I bought a 20 foot HDMI cable from monoprice but the signal drops out after a little while and doesn't come back. I tried setting the hdmi EQ to 7 like another poster, but that doesn't resolve the issue. I don't want to spend 150 dollars on a cable, so something within the 20-80 dollar range please. Thanks!
I've had good luck with this active cable and its 35':
Monoprice DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, CL2, 35ft, Black

Rick

JVC DLA-X590R Projector, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR-S940H, 125" Milliskin Silver/White Spandex AT Screen, Black Velvet on hung ceiling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page