Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4528Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3211 of 3473 Old 03-03-2019, 09:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull81 View Post
Hi Guys

I want to buy this projector. The problem I have is that my room is to narrow (287cm) so, I know it's wild, but I want to use first surface reflection mirror on the back wall to get required 327cm distance for 109 inch screen.
Long story short, in order to do it I need to calculate the size of the mirror and to do it I need the distance between bottom of the screen and the ground floor (or ceiling to the top of the screen)

Thanks!
The largest I can get at 3.4m is 109", so at 3.21m you are not going to make it.

Looking at the manual at wide angle 3.08m is the closest for 100" and 3.69m is the closest for 120", at 3.27 you are 44% of the way between 100 and 120" (20" difference) so 8.8", 108.8".

You really need to have 1-2" of wiggle room.
Sym0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3212 of 3473 Old 03-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Am I right in understanding that if I can play 4k HDR 420 YUV 10-bit through a 10m (33ft) cable that all is working ok, I mean that I am getting full bandwidth? It is a certified HDMI 2.0 18Gbps cable. Thanks.
Sym0 is offline  
post #3213 of 3473 Old 03-04-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,870
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
I've had good luck with this active cable and its 35':
Monoprice DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, CL2, 35ft, Black

Rick

Thanks for the reply!


Interestingly, the 20 foot cable I am having isues with seems to be very similar to the one you are working fine with, so maybe it's just a bad cable that I got. It looks like the only difference I can see in these specs is 28AWG for your cable and 30AWG for mine...



Product # 14474 - Monoprice DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, 30AWG, YUV 4:4:4, CL2, 20ft, Black
m0j0 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3214 of 3473 Old 03-04-2019, 07:38 AM
Member
 
revlisoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
That's really good info. Thanks for sharing!
Anytime. It's been a few days and the hunt is definitely gone! Yay! The past few months I actually dreaded turning on my TV because I would have to deal with the hunting issue but that is no longer the case!
revlisoft is offline  
post #3215 of 3473 Old 03-04-2019, 03:11 PM
Member
 
shyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All,

My current UHD60 is on version C08 and wanted to update the latest C13 like everyone but when I created the RMA form they told me that I need to pay for shipping myself as UHD60 is under 2 years limited warranty only. Anyone experienced this? I thought warranty are covered with shipment.
shyko is offline  
post #3216 of 3473 Old 03-04-2019, 04:19 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 22,425
Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
How far back / what number Post do I have to get to to get some definitive info on the UHD65?


I have a potential Install of a 132" 2.39:1 Spandex Screen going in. I'm suggesting a 14'-2" Throw


Just needing some discourse and opinions as to....well just about everything since it's been an age since I installed a Optoma, and that was a Short Throw job.


In any case, the desire to use Spandex combined with the size screen wanted dictates the use of 4K 10 Bit calls for the UHD65. The UHD60 is only 8 Bit,so that's not a consideration.


BTW...did Optoma ever release a 3D Firmware upgrade on the UHD65?

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is online now  
post #3217 of 3473 Old 03-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Thanks for the reply!


Interestingly, the 20 foot cable I am having isues with seems to be very similar to the one you are working fine with, so maybe it's just a bad cable that I got. It looks like the only difference I can see in these specs is 28AWG for your cable and 30AWG for mine...



Product # 14474 - Monoprice DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, 30AWG, YUV 4:4:4, CL2, 20ft, Black
The smaller wire is used because the cable is shorter. By rights, it should work fine. Have you tried a shorter cable by putting the units closer together temporarily? You should be able to isolate whether it's the cable or not.

Rick

JVC DLA-X590R Projector, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR-S940H, 125" Milliskin Silver/White Spandex AT Screen, Black Velvet on hung ceiling
rdlohr is offline  
post #3218 of 3473 Old 03-04-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,870
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
The smaller wire is used because the cable is shorter. By rights, it should work fine. Have you tried a shorter cable by putting the units closer together temporarily? You should be able to isolate whether it's the cable or not.

Rick
I have been using the 15 foot monoprice with no issues for many months. The issue is only present when I switch to the 20 foot monoprice cable.
m0j0 is online now  
post #3219 of 3473 Old 03-04-2019, 06:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I have been using the 15 foot monoprice with no issues for many months. The issue is only present when I switch to the 20 foot monoprice cable.
OK then, I'd swap the cable for a new one. It should work.
Rick

JVC DLA-X590R Projector, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR-S940H, 125" Milliskin Silver/White Spandex AT Screen, Black Velvet on hung ceiling
rdlohr is offline  
post #3220 of 3473 Old 03-04-2019, 07:02 PM
Member
 
shyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyko View Post
Hi All,

My current UHD60 is on version C08 and wanted to update the latest C13 like everyone but when I created the RMA form they told me that I need to pay for shipping myself as UHD60 is under 2 years limited warranty only. Anyone experienced this? I thought warranty are covered with shipment.
Anyone can answer or help me with this? Does UHD60 really have that limited warranty which I need to pay for shipping myself?
shyko is offline  
post #3221 of 3473 Old 03-04-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,870
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyko View Post
Anyone can answer or help me with this? Does UHD60 really have that limited warranty which I need to pay for shipping myself?
If that’s what they told you was required for the RMA, I would expect it’s true.
m0j0 is online now  
post #3222 of 3473 Old 03-04-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,870
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
OK then, I'd swap the cable for a new one. It should work.
Rick
I ordered a 20 foot hdmi cable from KableDirekt, hopefully that will work.
m0j0 is online now  
post #3223 of 3473 Old 03-05-2019, 06:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
...BTW...did Optoma ever release a 3D Firmware upgrade on the UHD65?
Yes back in June 2017 the C13 firmware added 3D support, but the 3D with DLP Active Shutter glasses is limited to a PC source with screen resolution 1920x1080p @120 Hz. 3D Bluray sequential frame movies are not supported.


I have 3D working with my UHD65 and I feel that the depth of field is far better than my previous plasma TV or even a movie theater. My issue right now is that the synchronization is not stable enough to watch a full 2hr movie. It is close but gets on your nerves over time. I need some more experimentation before concluding if I can overcome that issue but currently have other priorities. When it works it is very impressive.



I have been able to make incremental improvements from when I first got 3D working so there is hope. I am using Optoma DLP active shutter glasses that cost more than other models and were highly rated, so I don't think the glasses are the issue, as my incremental improvements seemed to bear out.
The C13 firmware remains the latest available for the UHD65.
3DSammy is offline  
post #3224 of 3473 Old 03-06-2019, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,870
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I ordered a 20 foot hdmi cable from KableDirekt, hopefully that will work.
So far, the 20 footer from KabelDirekt has worked great, which is doubly awesome since it only cost 12.99!


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rdlohr likes this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #3225 of 3473 Old 03-06-2019, 06:46 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 22,425
Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
First off...thank you 3DSammy for you quick and helpful response. Very much appreciated!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sym0 View Post
Am I right in understanding that if I can play 4k HDR 420 YUV 10-bit through a 10m (33ft) cable that all is working ok, I mean that I am getting full bandwidth? It is a certified HDMI 2.0 18Gbps cable. Thanks.

Unless it's a Fiber Optic Hybrid Cable, there are NO Copper Wire HDMI Cables over 25' that carry true Certification. If your cable is...and the info shown on screen show HDR 10 Bit Color, your really the exception. However... getting 4:2:0 doesn't mean your getting a full signal pass-through. Also, just because a UHD 4K DVD player or Game Consol has the ability to play such content, if the display bottlenecks the signal all your going to really get is 8-Bit. And remember, if your using any Optoma except the UHD65, all the rest are only 8-Bit capable.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
OK then, I'd swap the cable for a new one. It should work.
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
So far, the 20 footer from KabelDirekt has worked great, which is doubly awesome since it only cost 12.99!

Just a heads up from someone who has dealt with many installations whose PJs demanded the true ability to pass 10 to 12 Bit Color /18 gb - [email protected] 4:2:2 & 4:4:4............


If any cable purchased over 10' does not have / come with the following Certification Logo.....it's only a haphazard guess as to if it can carry the desired signals. Heavier gauge (24 ga) Cables can work...sometimes, but to avoid the P.I.T.A. syndrome, always look for the Scan Logo below.



https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...dp/B005BZG8G4/



There are now many more sources for affordable 4K 18 gb Certified HDMI Cables so it makes no sense to overspend for such...or undershoot the needed performance certifications. But people do...mostly because they just don't know, or they simply take the Mfg claims at face value. You can find many dozens of inexpensive HDMI Cables online, all stating 4K capability to some degree, but without the Scan Sticker shown above it's not in any way assured.


Even if the PJ owned does not go above 8 Bit-10 gb performance such cables effectively eliminate the all to often issues related to HDMI runs of 20-25'. And since the Certified HDMI Cords linked to are so inexpensive (25'er = approx. $22.95) there is no reason not to use what works over something that doesn't, even in the attempt to save one money.


Do it right the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A 4K HDMI Certification Sticker.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	2535004  
rdlohr likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 03-06-2019 at 06:58 AM.
MississippiMan is online now  
post #3226 of 3473 Old 03-07-2019, 08:58 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTimeISU View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the 4k signal "Searching for Souce... Found Source" message coming up randomly when you launch apps like ESPN or FOX SPORTS GO or NETFLIX on the Xbox One S. I am trying to figure out if this is normal or if the problem is my Denon X4300H. All the cords are Monoprince SLIMRUN 4k cables tested on the forum. Super annoying to see the "Source Found" message popping up all when selecting around the XBOX ONE S home menu.
Hey man. Did you ever get your xbox and UHD60 4k issue worked out? I just go tthe UHD60 and have an xbox one x and the xbox tells me the projector is 4k capable, but when I switch it to 4k while in the menus or on the home screen I get all the flickering and searching...found....searching...found... over and over until it finally just goes to black and stays there.

If I leave it on 1080 the menus/home screen is fine, but the small moments I can see the 4k home screen, it's obviously much clearer so I'd like to leave it on that. There's just something going on with the projector that I can't figure out.
JoeSki73 is offline  
post #3227 of 3473 Old 03-08-2019, 06:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the UHD65 and a harmony remote,to save me changing the projector mode from user to HDR to game to cinema for my different activities is there a way to get the commands to switch to a specific mode,or can I do this via IP control through the harmony?
batfinkus is offline  
post #3228 of 3473 Old 03-08-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,870
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by batfinkus View Post
I have the UHD65 and a harmony remote,to save me changing the projector mode from user to HDR to game to cinema for my different activities is there a way to get the commands to switch to a specific mode,or can I do this via IP control through the harmony?

This is a good question. I imagine that you will just need to map the menu button and do it manually, but who knows, it may be possible.
m0j0 is online now  
post #3229 of 3473 Old 03-08-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,870
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
So far, the 20 footer from KabelDirekt has worked great, which is doubly awesome since it only cost 12.99!


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1



It's been 3 days now and no issues with the new 20 foot HDMI cable. Very happy to have that issue resolved!
m0j0 is online now  
post #3230 of 3473 Old 03-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by batfinkus View Post
I have the UHD65 and a harmony remote,to save me changing the projector mode from user to HDR to game to cinema for my different activities is there a way to get the commands to switch to a specific mode,or can I do this via IP control through the harmony?

I have a Logitech Harmony Hub and added the Optoma projector as a device, but don't use it for the specific image profile switching your looking to achieve. My UHD65 is network (Ethernet) connected to my router and I set up telnet commands (RS232 codes) that are triggered from my Android phone. They can be triggered either from a main screen shortcut or a Google Assistant voice macro. I can also do this from my PC but I only use the PC to test out the Telnet (RS232 codes).

On the Projector:
1. Connect an Ethernet cable which is also attached to your router
2. See UHD60/65 user manual to enable router connection (usually simply enable DHCP)
3. On your Router make the PJ's IP address static in your DHCP settings so the IP address doesn't change
4. Record the PJ's IP address for later use
5. See UHD60/65 user manual to enable Telent (Menu->Network->Control-Telnet->On)

On an android phone install:
Send/Expect (free). It includes a display shortcuts/widget to trigger "Profiles" allowing you to create the projector's Telnet RS232 commands, save them and then select that profile when adding a shortcut to your phone display. I want much more complex macro's that are also integrated with Google Assistant (e.g. "OK Google" HDR).
More complex commands (Google Assistant integration and home automation (e.g. lighting) ... etc):
Tasker (purchased)
AutoVoice (purchased)

Unfortunately Optoma, in their infinite wisdom, has inconsistently published the RS232 command codes so I've had a devil of a time finding all the commands I want to use. For instance I'm still trying to find the code for "Dynamic Black" ON/OFF.

Using the installed Send/Expect app enter:
Target: IP address of your projector (e.g. 192.168.0.100)
port: 23
- "Add a send" then enter this exact string (no quotes) and save as a profile (menu on top right side):
"\x7E\x30\x30\x32\x30\x20\x32\x31\x0D"
- You can test it by hitting "Execute" at the bottom of the screen.
- The projection image will flash even when a Image profile has already been selected. Crazy enough you can enable HDR even when the source couldn't possibly contain HDR data. You can't do that from the menu as HDR would be grayed out, which makes testing convenient.


Here are other Image profile RS232 codes that I've successfully tested on a UHD65:
Cinema "\x7E\x30\x30\x32\x30\x20\x33\x0D"
HDR "\x7E\x30\x30\x32\x30\x20\x32\x31\x0D"
Game "\x7E\x30\x30\x32\x30\x20\x31\x32\x0D"
Reference "\x7E\x30\x30\x32\x30\x20\x34\x0D"
Bright "\x7E\x30\x30\x32\x30\x20\x32\x0D"
User "\x7E\x30\x30\x32\x30\x20\x35\x0D"

I hope this helps someone out.


Edit: I forgot to mention that the first "\x30\x30" (00) of each image RS-232 command is the Projector's ID (Menu->Info->Projector ID), with "00" being the default. If you changed your Projector ID then you must also change the "\x30\x30" string. For example Projector ID of 3 would be "\x30\x33" in all image RS-232 strings.
batfinkus likes this.

Last edited by 3DSammy; 03-08-2019 at 10:26 AM.
3DSammy is offline  
post #3231 of 3473 Old 03-08-2019, 02:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Just got my uhd65 2 hours ago.....my ceilings a 7ft ceiling with a 110 screen.....although the projector isnt level and tilted up a good amount, it still looks incredible.

Im using a 4yr old hdmi cable thats 35ft and came with my benq ...... would i benifit from installing the fuison 4k proffesional series 50ft one i just got CL3 rated and 18gps?

Also, does anyone have a weird electrical buzzing noise?

7.3 system Anthem AVM60, outlaw 2200 mono for towers, outlaw power 5000 for rest of channels, golden ear triton 2's, ultra xxl center, b&w surround in ceiling sides, golden ear satellite 3 surround backs, SVS pb16-ultra, Panamax 5400 power conditioner, oppo 203, BJC cabling, optima uhd65 projector, 110'' screen
Tonymustang302 is offline  
post #3232 of 3473 Old 03-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Member
 
sambou812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 43324
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DSammy View Post
Yes back in June 2017 the C13 firmware added 3D support, but the 3D with DLP Active Shutter glasses is limited to a PC source with screen resolution 1920x1080p @120 Hz. 3D Bluray sequential frame movies are not supported.


I have 3D working with my UHD65 and I feel that the depth of field is far better than my previous plasma TV or even a movie theater. My issue right now is that the synchronization is not stable enough to watch a full 2hr movie. It is close but gets on your nerves over time. I need some more experimentation before concluding if I can overcome that issue but currently have other priorities. When it works it is very impressive.



I have been able to make incremental improvements from when I first got 3D working so there is hope. I am using Optoma DLP active shutter glasses that cost more than other models and were highly rated, so I don't think the glasses are the issue, as my incremental improvements seemed to bear out.
The C13 firmware remains the latest available for the UHD65.
could you list your 3d setup?
video card 3d emitter glasses ect
thanks.
sambou812 is offline  
post #3233 of 3473 Old 03-08-2019, 07:20 PM
Member
 
sambou812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 43324
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymustang302 View Post
Just got my uhd65 2 hours ago.....my ceilings a 7ft ceiling with a 110 screen.....although the projector isnt level and tilted up a good amount, it still looks incredible.

Im using a 4yr old hdmi cable thats 35ft and came with my benq ...... would i benifit from installing the fuison 4k proffesional series 50ft one i just got CL3 rated and 18gps?

Also, does anyone have a weird electrical buzzing noise?
Yes: i think its the color wheel on my unit as i just got my new uhd65 back after sending it in to get a firmware update.
i didn't notice it before but it could have been there all along
what firmware do you have?
sambou812 is offline  
post #3234 of 3473 Old 03-09-2019, 04:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambou812 View Post
Yes: i think its the color wheel on my unit as i just got my new uhd65 back after sending it in to get a firmware update.
i didn't notice it before but it could have been there all along
what firmware do you have?
The color wheel?

7.3 system Anthem AVM60, outlaw 2200 mono for towers, outlaw power 5000 for rest of channels, golden ear triton 2's, ultra xxl center, b&w surround in ceiling sides, golden ear satellite 3 surround backs, SVS pb16-ultra, Panamax 5400 power conditioner, oppo 203, BJC cabling, optima uhd65 projector, 110'' screen
Tonymustang302 is offline  
post #3235 of 3473 Old 03-09-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,870
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 830
For anyone with a Panasonic DP-UB820 and a UHD60, here's the settings I have been using, and I have to say, the image is stunning!



Display Mode: Cinema
Wall Color: Off
Brightness: 0
Contrast: -2
Sharpness: 8
Color: 19
Tint: -2
Gamma: 2.4
Ultra Detail: 3 (unless film grain is present, then I will drop down to 1 or 2)
Dynamic Black: On
Brilliant Color: 2
Color Temp: D65
Color Gamut: Cinema
CMS: Defaults
Color Space: Auto
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:
Red Gain: -4
Green Gain: -1
Blue Gain: 12
Red Bias: 0
Green Bias: -1
Blue Bias: 2



820 Settings:


HDMI settings:
Resolution: Auto
4K60p Output: 4K/60p(4:4:4)
24p Output: Auto


HDMI Advanced settings:

Color Mode: Auto
Deep Color Output: Auto (10bit Priority)
HDR/Color Gamut Output: SDR/BT.2020 (Auto)
SDR/HDR Conv: Off
HLG/PQ Conversion: Auto
HDR TV Type: Basic Luminance


Player Options while playing movie:

Luma: +1
Edge: +4
HDR Optimizer: on
Dynamic Range Conversion Adj: +6

Noise Reduction: Optional - If it's an older movie with a lot of distracting film grain, I might set all three noise filters between a value of 1 to 3, until I'm comfortable with the picture


Setting the Gamma to 2.4, turning down the brilliant color setting to 2 on the UHD60 and then compensating by setting the Dynamic Range Conversion Adj to +6 really helped get the best picture while also eliminating shimmering that I sometimes see on the UHD60 when I set the brilliant color setting above 3.
Wesley Hester likes this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #3236 of 3473 Old 03-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
For anyone with a Panasonic DP-UB820 and a UHD60, here's the settings I have been using, and I have to say, the image is stunning!



Display Mode: Cinema
Wall Color: Off
Brightness: 0
Contrast: -2
Sharpness: 8
Color: 19
Tint: -2
Gamma: 2.4
Ultra Detail: 3 (unless film grain is present, then I will drop down to 1 or 2)
Dynamic Black: On
Brilliant Color: 2
Color Temp: D65
Color Gamut: Cinema
CMS: Defaults
Color Space: Auto
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:
Red Gain: -4
Green Gain: -1
Blue Gain: 12
Red Bias: 0
Green Bias: -1
Blue Bias: 2



820 Settings:


HDMI settings:
Resolution: Auto
4K60p Output: 4K/60p(4:4:4)
24p Output: Auto


HDMI Advanced settings:

Color Mode: Auto
Deep Color Output: Auto (10bit Priority)
HDR/Color Gamut Output: SDR/BT.2020 (Auto)
SDR/HDR Conv: Off
HLG/PQ Conversion: Auto
HDR TV Type: Basic Luminance


Player Options while playing movie:

Luma: +1
Edge: +4
HDR Optimizer: on
Dynamic Range Conversion Adj: +6

Noise Reduction: Optional - If it's an older movie with a lot of distracting film grain, I might set all three noise filters between a value of 1 to 3, until I'm comfortable with the picture


Setting the Gamma to 2.4, turning down the brilliant color setting to 2 on the UHD60 and then compensating by setting the Dynamic Range Conversion Adj to +6 really helped get the best picture while also eliminating shimmering that I sometimes see on the UHD60 when I set the brilliant color setting above 3.
Is this a good setting from out of the box for all amazon firestick/4k viewing? Anything to change on my oppo 203?

7.3 system Anthem AVM60, outlaw 2200 mono for towers, outlaw power 5000 for rest of channels, golden ear triton 2's, ultra xxl center, b&w surround in ceiling sides, golden ear satellite 3 surround backs, SVS pb16-ultra, Panamax 5400 power conditioner, oppo 203, BJC cabling, optima uhd65 projector, 110'' screen
Tonymustang302 is offline  
post #3237 of 3473 Old 03-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Just bought a uhd60 and can’t get hdr to work on my shield. The hdr display mode stays grayed out and under info it says sdr no matter what color space I use. Am I missing something? How can I tell for sure when the projector is receiving the hdr signal? I have a super nice hdmi cord that is only about a foot long so I know that is not an issue.
Kevin Rinaldi is offline  
post #3238 of 3473 Old 03-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 9
3D playback and UHD60/65 Firmware C13

The following is a tested solution for a Optoma UHD65 projector with at least the C13 firmware. In all likelihood this solution will work for other Optoma 3D capable projectors such as the UHD60 with upgraded firmware.


Testing Projector: UHD65 with Firmware C13

PC testing Hardware:
Intel: i3 CPU
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630
OS: Win10 Pro (installed on USB3 mSD card) and Linux Mint 19.2 (installed on SSD)
Screen resolution: [email protected] connected via 3D Display Port 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD
HDMI 18Gbps 4:4:4 capable 3 port switch: [email protected] HDMI Switch
HDMI Switch to UHD65 HDMI Cable: RUIPRO HDMI Fiber Cable 50 feet
3D DLP Active Shutter Glasses: Optoma ZD302 DLP Link Active Shutter 3D Glasses

Software:
3D Player: sView (free) supported on both operating systems
NOTE: Review supported 3D file formats
NOTE: Make sure your 3D movies filenames match the supported extensions or the internal file manager will not readily display those files for selection

Linux specific:
  1. Command line "cvt 1920 1080 -r 120" was used to generate the text [email protected] modeline which is used by xrandr
  2. Command line xrandr is used to dynamically change to the 1080p120Hz resolution and back to [email protected] normal resolution
NOTE: xrandr is used instead of added a permanent modeline which was my preference
NOTE: Install any software not included in your distro but both of these utilities are common

Win10 specific:
  1. Intel Display manager is used to add the custom [email protected] resolution (On Desktop, right mouse click and select from pop-up menu)
  2. NirCmd (free) is used to dynamically change to the 1080p120Hz resolution and back to your normal resolution


Summary notes:
  1. Running the PC through an Onkyo TX-NR838, even in passthru mode, prevented the UHD65 from accepting the requisite [email protected] signal. Only a PC->18Gps HDMI switch->UHD65 worked. The Onkyo TX-NR838 AV receiver's HDMI ports are only capable of 10Gbps thus the need for the HDMI switch with a Roku Ultra, PC display port adapter and Onkyo as video sources.
  2. Both Linux and Win10 could played 3D but Win10 held the DLP shutter glasses sync more consistently, despite running off a USB3 mSD card rather than a hard drive.
  3. Even in Windows, the glasses will get out of sync but usually snap back quickly. It can be tolerated over a full length movie.
  4. If you watch a movie in a reclined seat you may need to sit up until the DLP 3D glasses' sync sensor is pointed at the screen. The stronger the synchronization signal detected by the sensor the more stable the sync.
  5. Watching a 3D video in a high ambient lit room is not advised as again the sync signal to glasses is diminished.
  6. The sView program has View->Image Adjustment->{Gamma, Brightness, Saturation} settings which I found to be easier to modify than the PJ's 3D Image settings.
  7. Of course no Blu-ray frame-sequential playback is supported by any UHD60/65 no matter which firmware installed


sView settings (done the first time) for the UHD60/65:
  1. Select View -> Stereo Out -> Stereo
  2. Select Shutter Glasses -> Change device -> Shutter Glasses
  3. Check Shutter Glasses -> Show Extra Options
  4. Select Shutter Glasses -> Quad Buffered Type -> OpenGL emulated
  5. Select Shutter Glasses -> Glasses Control Codes -> eDimensional auto on/off
  6. From the projector's on-screen display menu, manually turn "ON" 3D mode
  7. Turn your DLP Active Shutter Glasses ON
  8. Select the movie to play
  9. If necessary manually select the 3D movie format as the "from source" is not always reliable Menu->Stereoscopic format-> Source
  10. Play the 3D video per normal player icons controls
NOTE: If you have a higher end graphics GPU which supports OpenGL then select OpenGL in step #4 above
NOTE: If the Movie file is on a different drive than the sView player then temporarily get out of full screen (lower right symbol) and click folder icon. You cannot select a different drive using the sView file manger in full screen display.

The attached batch script automates the 3D playback process (3D.bat). The bat file switches to 3D resolution, starts sView in full screen mode and upon exit returns the resolution back to [email protected] at 32 bit color. To use the script on your PC you need to look for the Fix#1, #2 , and #3 comments, which requires you to modify the script with drive and paths where you installed nircmd.exe and sView. I'm not supporting these scripts as you can easily do everything manually.

The equivalent Linux bash shell script is also attached but is in rough shape. It is a good starting point if your interested. The Linux script worked for me but as stated Windows 3D worked more reliably. A higher end graphics processor would likely resolve all Linux issues.


By forum rules, I can't upload files with either a ".sh" or ".bat" extension so added a ".txt" (3Dbat.txt). Just rename the file ( 3Dbat.txt to 3D.bat ) or (3Dsh.txt to 3D.sh).
Attached Files
File Type: txt 3Dbat.txt (2.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: txt 3Dsh.txt (2.5 KB, 6 views)
3DSammy is offline  
post #3239 of 3473 Old 03-09-2019, 01:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambou812 View Post
could you list your 3d setup...
A detailed post has been submitted.
3DSammy is offline  
post #3240 of 3473 Old 03-09-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,870
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymustang302 View Post
Is this a good setting from out of the box for all amazon firestick/4k viewing? Anything to change on my oppo 203?
You will have to try it out and see how it looks. On my shield, I run a gamma of 2.0, and some other settings are different as well.
m0j0 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off