Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 109 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4528Likes

post #3241 of 3473 Old 03-09-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post
Just bought a uhd60 and can’t get hdr to work on my shield. The hdr display mode stays grayed out and under info it says sdr no matter what color space I use. Am I missing something? How can I tell for sure when the projector is receiving the hdr signal? I have a super nice hdmi cord that is only about a foot long so I know that is not an issue.
Make sure the hdmi connection into the UHD60 is to the one that lists hdcp as only one of the two hdmi connections support 4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3473 Old 03-09-2019, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Make sure the hdmi connection into the UHD60 is to the one that lists hdcp as only one of the two hdmi connections support 4K.[/QUOTE]

It’s connected to the proper port with a very nice cable that is only a foot long. 4k works great, just can’t get hdr
post #3243 of 3473 Old 03-10-2019, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
So, i put on the grinch for my daughter....im using a 4yr old hdmi cable from the anthem to the uhd65....when i play, it flickers and then says “source found” then 3820x2160 24hz. Its a 35 cable so i ordered a nicer 50ft one because now i have to go along the wall and (i didnt run conduit inside the wall for cable replacement) see if i can get the full 60hz.

Out of the box the reds are ‘’offensive’’ during grinchs opening scene.

Also when people move fast across the screen its blurry

Does anyone know a company that calibrates projectors in chicago?

7.3 system Anthem AVM60, outlaw 2200 mono for towers, outlaw power 5000 for rest of channels, golden ear triton 2's, ultra xxl center, b&w surround in ceiling sides, golden ear satellite 3 surround backs, SVS pb16-ultra, Panamax 5400 power conditioner, oppo 203, BJC cabling, optima uhd65 projector, 110'' screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3244 of 3473 Old 03-10-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post
Make sure the hdmi connection into the UHD60 is to the one that lists hdcp as only one of the two hdmi connections support 4K.
It’s connected to the proper port with a very nice cable that is only a foot long. 4k works great, just can’t get hdr[/QUOTE]

Try the settings/suggestions from here to see if that helps:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndro...d_tv_settings/
post #3245 of 3473 Old 03-10-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
It’s connected to the proper port with a very nice cable that is only a foot long. 4k works great, just can’t get hdr

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndro...d_tv_settings/[/QUOTE]

How do you know if its playing hdr?

7.3 system Anthem AVM60, outlaw 2200 mono for towers, outlaw power 5000 for rest of channels, golden ear triton 2's, ultra xxl center, b&w surround in ceiling sides, golden ear satellite 3 surround backs, SVS pb16-ultra, Panamax 5400 power conditioner, oppo 203, BJC cabling, optima uhd65 projector, 110'' screen
post #3246 of 3473 Old 03-10-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymustang302 View Post

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndro...d_tv_settings/

How do you know if its playing hdr?[/QUOTE]

When you start a movie, you should get "HDR" popping up in the right corner for a few seconds. Also, when you go into the menu to select the various viewing modes, you should only be able to choose the HDR mode. If you can select Cinema, etc. then it's not displaying in HDR (assuming you have C13 firmware).
post #3247 of 3473 Old 03-10-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
How do you know if its playing hdr?

When you start a movie, you should get "HDR" popping up in the right corner for a few seconds. Also, when you go into the menu to select the various viewing modes, you should only be able to choose the HDR mode. If you can select Cinema, etc. then it's not displaying in HDR (assuming you have C13 firmware).[/QUOTE]

How do i find out if it has c13.....i just got it 2days ago

Update, the new fiber optic 50ft hdmi fixed me playing hdr now....but still only plays at 4k @ 24hz

Last edited by Tonymustang302; 03-10-2019 at 06:19 PM.
post #3248 of 3473 Old 03-11-2019, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When you start a movie, you should get "HDR" popping up in the right corner for a few seconds. Also, when you go into the menu to select the various viewing modes, you should only be able to choose the HDR mode. If you can select Cinema, etc. then it's not displaying in HDR (assuming you have C13 firmware).
How do i find out if it has c13.....i just got it 2days ago

Update, the new fiber optic 50ft hdmi fixed me playing hdr now....but still only plays at 4k @ 24hz[/QUOTE]

I think you mentioned you had the Amazon Firestick. Check out this link and try settings in #16 and #18 to see if that helps.

http://www.aftvnews.com/20-things-to...-stick-device/
post #3249 of 3473 Old 03-11-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
What's the largest screen size everyone is using with the UHD65? Just wondering how it holds up at longer distances. I use mine on a 120" screen, but planned on going larger once I build my next house.

Thanks!
post #3250 of 3473 Old 03-11-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 9
UHD65 and HDR "banding/posturization" effect

The following is a summary of forum comments about the UHD65 HDR banding issues and suggested cures plus my own observations.

Definition of issue:
Occasionally the UHD65 is interpreting an 8bit color source video as HDR (BT.2020 10/12 bit) content resulting in an image which shows a posterization or banding effect especially noticeable in outdoor sky scenes. This undesirable image corruption is most distracting and greatly impacts the value of HDR sources on the UHD65.
My own finding indicated that the projector does not use any sophisticated graphics processing to fill (dither) in the missing color data. The results are patches of identical colors especially noticeable in sky to horizon scenes.

Solutions:
  • Have your source device configured to either 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 when sending HDR content
  • Have your source device do better dithering of 8 bit color (a device capability dependent comment)
  • Force a non-HDR signal from your source device (e.g. BT.709 8bit) so the UHD65 will not try to display a HDR 10bit color space

Forum posts that describe methods to resolve the HDR banding issue (YMMV):

My own experience with HDR banding and my eventual resolution:
My only sources of HDR content is Netflix, Amazon Instant video and YouTube, all from a Roku Ultra. Before I had my UHD65, I'd read a forum post that the a Roku's "Settings->System->Advanced System Settings->HDR subsampling" should be set to 4:2:0 particularly for [email protected] sources. Well using that setting was a big mistake, on my part, as I did not realize that stripping the 10bit color data down to 8bit caused the projector's image to band.
Once I changed the Roku Ultra settings "Settings->System->Advanced System Settings->HDR subsampling->4:2:2" and of course "Settings->Display Type->4K HDR 60Hz TV" banding was all but eliminated. Additional UHD65 HDR image profile modifications resolved the slight banding that remained due to color saturation issues which are present in the default HDR settings.

Test video's that were used to both demonstrate banding and to test modifications during resolution analysis.
YouTube HDR:

Netflix:
Marco Polo Season 1 Episode 7, starting at 21:40 mm:ss. Watch the brief wrestling scene for sky color banding. Right after that scene are wonderful examples of the richness of HDR10 colors seen in the blues and golds of the actor's costumes.

Problems still to be resolved:
Although my HDR banding has been eradicated, even in blacked out viewing conditions, the image is simply too dark. Unfortunately my current temporary solution, specific to Netflix, is to set the Roku Ultra "Settings->Display Type->4K 60Hz TV", this tricks the Netflix app into streaming it's HDR content as "Ultra HD 4K" (BT 709 8it). Effectively Netflix streams 4K video with properly dithered 8 bit color avoiding banding. You get a great bright 4K image but lose the richness of HDR color. So I'm still looking for image settings that can result in a brighter HDR image. Make sure Netflix is identifying the video as "Ultra HD 4K" as I once saw the change in Roku settings ignored by the Roku Netflix app which still identified the video as "HDR".

I'd love to hear from anyone with a Roku Ultra that achieved an acceptably bright HDR image and no banding on their UHD65.

Edit: The Netflix from Roku Ultra solution described above was also tested and confirmed as working with Amazon Prime HDR videos (e.g. Bosh).

Edit: After some research on "HDR images being too dark", it appears that culprits range from the streaming device used (e.g. Roku Ultra HDR too dark) to the quality of the HDR compression by the streaming vendor to inherent limits of HDR10 to compensate versus Dolby Vision. Surprisingly multiple people chose to configure the source stream so that the original HDR source was effectively downgraded to a SDR BT.709 8bit stream. Sad but I guess that is currently a bleeding edge reality with HDR. At least this is not a specific UHD65 issue which oddly makes me feel better, just not fully satisfied.
am2model3 and MinHeadroom like this.

Last edited by 3DSammy; 03-11-2019 at 02:28 PM.
post #3251 of 3473 Old 03-11-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Setting the Gamma to 2.4, turning down the brilliant color setting to 2 on the UHD60 and then compensating by setting the Dynamic Range Conversion Adj to +6 really helped get the best picture while also eliminating shimmering that I sometimes see on the UHD60 when I set the brilliant color setting above 3.
Hey m0j0, thanks for posting your settings. I also have the Panasonic 820 but have it paired with the UHD65. The shimmering you are talking about...does that show itself in things like faces? I have this problem when certain scenes I see shimmering in faces and it is really distracting. It goes away when I turn off Dynamic Black. Unfortunately I like what Dynamic Black does for my black levels so wondering if leaving it on and lowering brilliant color is the solution.
post #3252 of 3473 Old 03-11-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
Hey m0j0, thanks for posting your settings. I also have the Panasonic 820 but have it paired with the UHD65. The shimmering you are talking about...does that show itself in things like faces? I have this problem when certain scenes I see shimmering in faces and it is really distracting. It goes away when I turn off Dynamic Black. Unfortunately I like what Dynamic Black does for my black levels so wondering if leaving it on and lowering brilliant color is the solution.

Yes, I have seen it in clouds, faces, etc. It goes away when you drop brilliant color down to 2 or 1, at least for me. I agree that Dynamic Black on is best for black levels on these projectors. I found that the slider for Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment can help to bring back the brilliant color brightness but without the shimmer. You should give it a go and see if it works for you as well.
post #3253 of 3473 Old 03-12-2019, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
I've had good luck with this active cable and its 35':
Monoprice DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, CL2, 35ft, Black

Rick
No cable can do that with 10-bit colour, you have to drop frame rate to 30Hz or the resultion if you want to hold 10-bit 444. other wise is 422 or 420 only.
post #3254 of 3473 Old 03-12-2019, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sym0 View Post
No cable can do that with 10-bit colour, you have to drop frame rate to 30Hz or the resultion if you want to hold 10-bit 444. other wise is 422 or 420 only.
This is simply how Monoprice describes it. It was provided so he could use the words to search for it.
Rick

JVC DLA-X590R Projector, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR-S940H, 125" Milliskin Silver/White Spandex AT Screen, Black Velvet on hung ceiling
post #3255 of 3473 Old 03-13-2019, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 218
i got my uhd60 june 2017; first batch. my lamp lasted 2400 hours; it went bad on me; image flicker and dimness; etc. Replaced it last night; wow! nice & bright like it was new out of the box!! Not bad hour life on the first lamp.
post #3256 of 3473 Old 03-13-2019, 07:05 PM

Liked: 2
3DSammy..you are the first person to post on exactly the same issue I'm having with my Apple4kTV to a T! My problem is the Apple 4kTV ONLY offers 4:2:2 in SD4k. HDR4K only offers 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 and both do the same thing. Unfortunately I still haven't found a solution other to watch in SD and set colors as best I can...but dread knowing I'm missing out on HDR.
post #3257 of 3473 Old 03-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSki73 View Post
Hey man. Did you ever get your xbox and UHD60 4k issue worked out? I just go tthe UHD60 and have an xbox one x and the xbox tells me the projector is 4k capable, but when I switch it to 4k while in the menus or on the home screen I get all the flickering and searching...found....searching...found... over and over until it finally just goes to black and stays there.

If I leave it on 1080 the menus/home screen is fine, but the small moments I can see the 4k home screen, it's obviously much clearer so I'd like to leave it on that. There's just something going on with the projector that I can't figure out.
This is your cable, it's either too long or not high enough quality. I have a 50ft one that's not very good either, but after I added a receiver between the Xbox and projector it compensated and I no longer get the long "searching for source" issue. If you search this thread people have also had success with signal booster add-ons you can use instead of a 4K receiver for much cheaper. If you have this problem using the included Xbox HDMI cable then I'd RMA the projector. The C13 firmware upgrade alone is worth the 2-3 week turnaround anyway.
post #3258 of 3473 Old 03-15-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicInternet View Post
This is your cable, it's either too long or not high enough quality. I have a 50ft one that's not very good either, but after I added a receiver between the Xbox and projector it compensated and I no longer get the long "searching for source" issue. If you search this thread people have also had success with signal booster add-ons you can use instead of a 4K receiver for much cheaper. If you have this problem using the included Xbox HDMI cable then I'd RMA the projector. The C13 firmware upgrade alone is worth the 2-3 week turnaround anyway.
Thanks!

For the poor soul searching the web for this issue, I did end up figuring out the problem.

Not all 18gb HDMI cables are the same.
My cable is 30' long. I bought a "high speed" 18gb cable from Amazon and it would play some 4k UHD content just fine at 60hz. But it would NOT play the Xbox dashboard and menus in 4k. Really odd. So I moved my Xbox closer to test out the cable that came with the projector and the issue went away. 4k on the dashboard.
So I bought a different brand high speed 18gb HDMI cable from Amazon, same 30', and it works great. 4k UHD on dashboard and everything else.

This is the one that DID work:
https ://www .amazon. com/gp/product/B071DKH3P9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one that did NOT work:
https ://www .amazon. com/gp/product/B00DI8929Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(I had to break these links as I don't have sufficient post count in this forum to post links)
Maybe I just got a faulty cable...?

Also, I have a Roku Premier wired into the Xbox One X HDMI in port. It would NOT auto detect the 4k UHD at 60hz, so I forced it to do so manually... and it works great.

Now my only dilemma is whether or not I want to pay the extra $5/mo Netlix offered me to add HD content to my package. It auto-detected my 4k setup and offered it to me when I first logged in on this new setup.
post #3259 of 3473 Old 03-15-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSki73 View Post
Thanks!

For the poor soul searching the web for this issue, I did end up figuring out the problem.

Not all 18gb HDMI cables are the same.
My cable is 30' long. I bought a "high speed" 18gb cable from Amazon and it would play some 4k UHD content just fine at 60hz. But it would NOT play the Xbox dashboard and menus in 4k. Really odd. So I moved my Xbox closer to test out the cable that came with the projector and the issue went away. 4k on the dashboard.
So I bought a different brand high speed 18gb HDMI cable from Amazon, same 30', and it works great. 4k UHD on dashboard and everything else.

This is the one that DID work:
https ://www .amazon. com/gp/product/B071DKH3P9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one that did NOT work:
https ://www .amazon. com/gp/product/B00DI8929Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(I had to break these links as I don't have sufficient post count in this forum to post links)
Maybe I just got a faulty cable...?

Also, I have a Roku Premier wired into the Xbox One X HDMI in port. It would NOT auto detect the 4k UHD at 60hz, so I forced it to do so manually... and it works great.

Now my only dilemma is whether or not I want to pay the extra $5/mo Netlix offered me to add HD content to my package. It auto-detected my 4k setup and offered it to me when I first logged in on this new setup.

Glad you found a cable that works for you. I had a similar issue when needing a 20 foot cable and it took a few tries to get one that worked 100% reliably, so appreciate you providing your feedback on what worked and what didn't for others.
post #3260 of 3473 Old 03-15-2019, 02:29 PM

Can anyone explain why I keep reading that this projector is really a Rec709 PJ? I know it accepts Rec 2020 content but it just looks so much better with 444 709 8-bit than 420 2020 10-bit. Surely if it just converting the signal there is not gain to be had?

I am still setting up my HT room, I have a 106" screen to go in (waiting on some furniture 1st), how to I manage the light bleed around the edge of the image, looks to be about 50mm all the way around the extreme edge of the image feed. The flocked edge of my screen is slimline (30mm) so I expect this will leak on to the wall?? The walls are all white (so maybe time to paint dark grey?)

Thanks guys.
post #3261 of 3473 Old 03-15-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can anyone explain why I keep reading that this projector is really a Rec709 PJ? I know it accepts Rec 2020 content but it just looks so much better with 444 709 8-bit than 420 2020 10-bit. Surely if it just converting the signal there is not gain to be had?

I am still setting up my HT room, I have a 106" screen to go in (waiting on some furniture 1st), how to I manage the light bleed around the edge of the image, looks to be about 50mm all the way around the extreme edge of the image feed. The flocked edge of my screen is slimline (30mm) so I expect this will leak on to the wall?? The walls are all white (so maybe time to paint dark grey?)

Thanks guys.

Not sure what you're reading, but this projector can do Rec 2020 spectacularly. What is your source for content? I use a Panasonic 820 for 4k blu rays and an Nvidia Shield for 4k MKV files feeding in to a Denon x4400h, then out to the projector. As for light, I use a silver ticket screen, which has about a 2 inch black velvet border all around that absorbs all light, so maybe you can just get some black velvet tape and do a wall border behind the screen or something like that.
post #3262 of 3473 Old 03-15-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you're reading, but this projector can do Rec 2020 spectacularly. What is your source for content? I use a Panasonic 820 for 4k blu rays and an Nvidia Shield for 4k MKV files feeding in to a Denon x4400h, then out to the projector. As for light, I use a silver ticket screen, which has about a 2 inch black velvet border all around that absorbs all light, so maybe you can just get some black velvet tape and do a wall border behind the screen or something like that.
Optoma's website claims its has almost 100% Rec 709 coverage (which is much smaller than Rec 2020) and is "compatible" with Rec 2020... what does that even mean, does it show enough 2020 gamut to matter or is it marketing guff?
post #3263 of 3473 Old 03-15-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm new to the UHD60 club (as of yesterday). So far I'm somewhat happy with the projector. Unfortunately my HDMI cable that's supposed to handle 4k is refusing to from my Xbox 1X. So, I haven't been able to test out it's 4k abilities. Hopefully the new cable will arrive on Sunday.

Quick question. I've read and watched a great deal of reviews for this projector. All of them mention the display modes, one of them being "Vivid". This mode does not exist in my selections. All I have is Cinema, HDR, HDR SIM, Game, Reference, Bright, and User....how is this possible?

Also, outside of having issues with the throw distance (my fault), the only thing that is really bugging me is a constant high pitched sound. I read some other posts about this early in the thread, but didn't really find out if this is normal, or a defect.
post #3264 of 3473 Old 03-15-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Optoma's website claims its has almost 100% Rec 709 coverage (which is much smaller than Rec 2020) and is "compatible" with Rec 2020... what does that even mean, does it show enough 2020 gamut to matter or is it marketing guff?
DCI-P3 coverage is about 80% and Rec2020 is about 52% I believe. Most bulb projectors are going to struggle with Rec2020. You may want to consider laser projectors if this is very important to you, or just a lot more expensive projectors in general. I was looking to see what the Optoma UHZ65 can do (which is a 4,000 dollar projector) and it's not much better. 80% DCI-P3 coverage and 58% Rec2020. The thing to keep in mind is that DCI-P3 is what is used by the movie industry for UHD content, so that is what you may want to focus on instead.
am2model3 likes this.

Last edited by m0j0; 03-15-2019 at 08:11 PM.
post #3265 of 3473 Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCUBBYx View Post
I'm new to the UHD60 club (as of yesterday). So far I'm somewhat happy with the projector. Unfortunately my HDMI cable that's supposed to handle 4k is refusing to from my Xbox 1X. So, I haven't been able to test out it's 4k abilities. Hopefully the new cable will arrive on Sunday.

Quick question. I've read and watched a great deal of reviews for this projector. All of them mention the display modes, one of them being "Vivid". This mode does not exist in my selections. All I have is Cinema, HDR, HDR SIM, Game, Reference, Bright, and User....how is this possible?

Also, outside of having issues with the throw distance (my fault), the only thing that is really bugging me is a constant high pitched sound. I read some other posts about this early in the thread, but didn't really find out if this is normal, or a defect.
There were some modes that were removed with later firmware versions. Not sure about the noise. Mine is mounted about 8 feet up and I don’t notice any sounds coming from it.
post #3266 of 3473 Old 03-16-2019, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Hey guys, I have the Optoma udh60 hooked up to a Panasonic Ub820. I just had the projector professionally calibrated (well known technician reviewed here) , but I'm afraid it was not done correctly.

The dynamic range was set to "off" so that it cannot switch over to HDR mode. The calibrator said that because the HDR mapping of the Panasonic 820 should be better, he left the HDR processing on there to pass to the projector. He said the projector should pass the HDR image without trying to do its own decoding/processing.

The only issue is that not only does this not work for sources other than the 820, I am not even sure it is working as intended as mentioned above.

Because when I do switch the dynamic range back to "auto" and let the projector do its HDR thing, the picture is remarkably better. Now there are other issues suck as skin tone banding that precludes me from leaving this on, not to mention this service was not cheap, so I'm a little perturbed about the whole situation.

So does anyone know if the calibrator is correct, or did he not understand the equipment and by turning the HDR off on the projector, did it essentially "block" HDR content from being properly displayed regardless of if the DVD Player is outputting it or not?

Thanks for any input.
post #3267 of 3473 Old 03-20-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After about 5 more months, I have found a few more setting changes that work better for the majority of content I watch:

Optoma UHD60 (using an Nvidia Shield as source):

Display Mode: HDR
Wall Color: Off
Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode Bright
Brightness: 0
Contrast: -2
Sharpness: 8
Color: 3 or 6 usually
Tint: -2
Gamma: 2.0
Ultra Detail: 1 (I notch it up to 2 or 3 on really clean movies, but otherwise keep it at 1, especially if there is a lot of film grain)
Dynamic Black: On
Brilliant Color: 2 (Though I prefer the skin tones with this value set to 3, I get better contrast/black levels dropping this to 2)
Color Temp: D65
Color Gamut: Cinema
CMS: Defaults
Color Space: Auto
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:
Red Gain: -4
Green Gain: -1
Blue Gain: 12
Red Bias: 0
Green Bias: -1
Blue Bias: 2

If I'm watching 1080P material, I switch to Cinema and have color set to 19

With 4K discs in the Panasonic UB-900:
Luma: +1
Edge: +4
Contrast: +1
Black Gamma: +3 (sometimes +4)
Noise Reduction: Optional - If it's an older movie with a lot of distracting film grain, I might set all three noise filters between a value of 1 to 3, until I'm comfortable with the picture

After watching Aquaman last night in 4k on the Nvidia Shield, I felt it was too bright and adjusted a few settings to get a better picture. Here's the settings I used:

Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode "Standard"
Brightness: -2
Color: 3
Ultra Detail: 3
Brilliant Color: 1
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:
idean and am2model3 like this.
post #3268 of 3473 Old 03-20-2019, 05:39 PM

Anyone have issues with xbox one x and display. If i dont turn on my projector/avm-0 before i turn on my xbox, i wont have display. Then i have to switch inputs from amazon back to xbox and the display will work. Then back and forth sometimes it will say it wont support 4k. Only issue im having with my new xbox lately. No issues with oppo 203 and amazon fire stick.

post #3269 of 3473 Old 03-21-2019, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Anyone have issues with xbox one x and display. If i dont turn on my projector/avm-0 before i turn on my xbox, i wont have display. Then i have to switch inputs from amazon back to xbox and the display will work. Then back and forth sometimes it will say it wont support 4k. Only issue im having with my new xbox lately. No issues with oppo 203 and amazon fire stick.

Even though I don't have an Xbox, if I don't turn on my UHD65 before enabling my HDMI switch, which is connected to the projector, my HTPC's 4K output is displayed as a much tinier resolution. I have to call up the display settings in the OS for the projector to reset the display to the correct 4K image.
Like you the power on sequence requires the projector to be started first. I've even noticed this specifically with YouTube videos and my Roku Ultra. Menu's are fine but video playback shows only the top left quarter of the screen.
I use a HarmonyHub to start my AV devices and always start the projector first in that sequence to resolve the issue.
post #3270 of 3473 Old 03-22-2019, 11:21 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Quote:
After about 5 more months, I have found a few more setting changes that work better for the majority of content I watch:

Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode Bright
Brightness: 0
Color: 3 or 6 usually
Ultra Detail: 1 (I notch it up to 2 or 3 on really clean movies, but otherwise keep it at 1, especially if there is a lot of film grain)
Brilliant Color: 2 (Though I prefer the skin tones with this value set to 3, I get better contrast/black levels dropping this to 2)
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:

If I'm watching 1080P material, I switch to Cinema and have color set to 19

With 4K discs in the Panasonic UB-900:
Luma: +1
Edge: +4
Contrast: +1
Black Gamma: +3 (sometimes +4)
Noise Reduction: Optional - If it's an older movie with a lot of distracting film grain, I might set all three noise filters between a value of 1 to 3, until I'm comfortable with the picture

After watching Aquaman last night in 4k on the Nvidia Shield, I felt it was too bright and adjusted a few settings to get a better picture. Here's the settings I used:

Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode "Standard"
Brightness: -2
Color: 3
Ultra Detail: 3
Brilliant Color: 1
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:
M0j0,
Thanks for the updates on your tweaking. I'm leaning more and more to switching to a Shield and trying it out and moving the ATV4K upstairs.
m0j0 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page