Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4528Likes

post #3271 of 3473 Old 03-22-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
This may have been linked here before. It was posted a day ago.

am2model3 likes this.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3473 Old 03-23-2019, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
This may have been linked here before. It was posted a day ago.

https://youtu.be/Jz7Vuhq0o0Q

There have been lots of these comparisons going back to when the two PJs were released.

I have had a UHD65 since its release and it is simply breathtaking with 4K disks. The detail is mind blowing at 106" viewed 8 feet away.

42" in the dining room. 50" in the bedroom. 86" in the living room. 65" in the family room. 70" in the family room. 106" in the family room "This is the voice of world control" Video Modes:EDTV-XGA-HDTV-4K HDR
post #3273 of 3473 Old 03-23-2019, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
M0j0,
Thanks for the updates on your tweaking. I'm leaning more and more to switching to a Shield and trying it out and moving the ATV4K upstairs.
The Shield may be a very good decision as the Roku Ultra likely has banding issues at least on a similar projector, the UHDZ65.
See "Nvidia Shield TV v. Roku Ultra color banding". Right now I'm weighing whether to replace my Roku Ultra with a Shield or upgrade my HTPC graphics card and run Win10 HDR which is still immature. Also you can't get Amazon Prime video in HDR on Win10 and I can't find any info if they'll ever make that available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3274 of 3473 Old 03-24-2019, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted earlier about issues revolving around the sound from my UHD60 (and not being able to get HDR which ended up being the cable). The sound was a high pitched whirling sound, that I found obnoxious, and after reading reviews, this thread, and talking to optima, it was clear I had a lemon. So, I decide to do a swap. I purchased the projector from Amazon, and they'll send a new one out immediately, and you still have 30 days to return the original (awesome).

The new one arrived, and I fired it up only to me met with a much louder projector. This time it's a buzz, like an old refrigerator, and still worrisome. However, strangely enough, the picture was clearer and brighter than the original projector. I was also able to pull it out to completely fill my screen (120"), which I was not able to do with the original projector. I was about 4" short diagonally with the original.

Both projectors were placed on the same mount, at exactly the same distance. I have also not changed anything within the projectors setting, both were kept right out of the box default.

My wife and I spent a good portion of the day playing Assassins Creed Odyssey (possibly a bit too long). It looks incredible in 4k/HDR. A few hours in, I decided to swap the projector to the original, just to make sure I wasn't crazy. Sure enough, not as good of a picture, and can't fill the screen. Adding to that, my wife was instantly bothered by the RBE, so much so that it made her a bit nauseous. I'm not terribly sensitive to this, and I noticed instantly as well. This was coming from a pause screen, so the exact same screen between the projectors. I immediately switched back to the newer projector, and problems solved.

The question is, do I have another lemon (refrigerator buzz)? I'm thinking about trying again, but this makes me a bit nervous about the quality control of these projectors.
am2model3 likes this.
post #3275 of 3473 Old 03-25-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCUBBYx View Post
The question is, do I have another lemon (refrigerator buzz)? I'm thinking about trying again, but this makes me a bit nervous about the quality control of these projectors.
Hi.
Just thought I would comment that it can happen with any of these devices at any price. There are a lot of pieces inside projectors and it is easy for them to come adrift with even fairly minor knocks etc.

There are many on these boards who have bought machines costing 30k plus who have been through at least a couple of units before getting one that is considered acceptable.

So, if you can't stand the noise, then I would say exercise your right to swap whilst you can and possibly keep hold the current one until the replacement arrives, just in case, if they allow it that is.

Edit: The noise you described could be the colour wheel being out of balance by just a hair or something like that. I don't think you should get anything more intrusive than a 'whooshing' sound out of projectors myself, however loud.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #3276 of 3473 Old 03-25-2019, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I watched Aquaman 4K UHD HDR DolbyAtmos last night on my UHD60, 5.1.4 atmos sound. The 4K HDR imagery and DolbyAtmos sound was most excellent! Reference movie disc to experience the sound & vision! Awesome experience!
post #3277 of 3473 Old 03-26-2019, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjeman View Post
This release will allow the UHD60 to automatically shift between HDR & Cinema, depending on source.

There is a new HDMI setting in Developers Option to turn on "colormetry". This along with setting HDMI to YUV420 rec2020 works for me.
Actually the shield makes the shift (like the Apple TV does) to match the content being shown:

SDR for menus and SDR content
HDR for HDR content

The UHD60 automatically processes each signal (but doesn't show the logo), this method is different to the Apple TV I guess which does show the logo.

The UHD60 will remain set on what ever display setting you have it on. If you have it on Cinema or Reference, it will stay like that even though its correctly processing the HDR image. The HDR setting is just another calibration of colours (like bright or reference) etc and has nothing to do with the source being HDR or SDR at all, its just a name.

If you switch inputs you can get the logo to show MDR on re-sync if unsure.
Wesley Hester likes this.
post #3278 of 3473 Old 03-27-2019, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
All through the beta processes for the Shield 7.2.3, the UHD60 showed it shifting between Cinema and HDR (with flagging) when playing a specific source. Manually shifting the UHD60 between Cinema & HDR shows no appreciable differences on any source. So, I agree with your point.

Bottom line is that the UHD60 and Shield TV are a great combination.
post #3279 of 3473 Old 03-31-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjeman View Post
All through the beta processes for the Shield 7.2.3, the UHD60 showed it shifting between Cinema and HDR (with flagging) when playing a specific source. Manually shifting the UHD60 between Cinema & HDR shows no appreciable differences on any source. So, I agree with your point.

Bottom line is that the UHD60 and Shield TV are a great combination.
I have now both an Apple TV 4k and Shield 4k and observed some notable differences viewing the same content:

1. The shiled runs in 4k/60Hz SDR in the menus and SDR content, and the colour space switches in the background when HDR content is played. The UHD 60 colour gradient visibly shifts as it does so, but there is no change in the signal so the UHD60 doesn't notice anything happening, but the Auto HDR processing does its job seamlessly. From here I manually swap to HDR picture settings to view content.
2. the Apple TV can run in HDR mode 4k/50/60Hz full time and re-processes SDR content to HDR signal, but since it is recommended to have match range and refresh rate on, you are better off setting the ATV in SDR mode full time and it will switch to HDR signal at the same time it switches to a difference refresh rate (like 24Hz). If the content to be watched is 25Hz, then the ATV will stay at 50Hz (in my region) and frame double.
3. The ATV will show the HDR logo mid stream if the content is present
4, The UHD picture settings are unqiue per input, so if you make all your changes to 50Hz (or 60Hz) input, when the ATV switches to 24Hz the picture settings are reset, you have to set them all up again (the 1st time) and then it will remember. So if you have Cinema set for the menus, and watch an SDR movie in 24Hz you have to reset all you Cinema presets to you liking as its a different profile to the 50Hz one (and different again for 60Hz).

Summary:

If you want the UHD60 to show the exact same personal picture settings for each present (Cinema, HDR etc) you have to set them for each input (24/50/60) separately, HDr has no bearing on the switch, just the input refresh.
post #3280 of 3473 Old 03-31-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobhit101 View Post
I did try the grey wall setting and it ended up turning the whole screen a weird hue so I kept that setting off. I looked at 1080p and 4K/HDR material. It does flip to HDR once I play HDR content but it's like switching an input or something every time the resolution changes jumping in and out of apps/games/content. Very distracting. I'll keep tinkering with the color settings. I got a hold of some calibration specs from earlier in this thread and will try them later.

Does every 4K HDR projector have that "source finding input" screen when moving in and out of 1080p to 4K content? I really don't like that but suppose I could live with it.

Thanks for all the help!
This means your source (like an ATV 4k) is switching output to match the content (50 or 60Hz of rmenus, 24Hz for movies).This is what you want, rather than static 60Hz (or 50Hz) with frame interpolation occurring.
post #3281 of 3473 Old 03-31-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjonesy90 View Post
Hi I have just picked up my new uhd60 and although it’s better than my optoma hd230x I’m not to impressed with its colours out the box blacks not great, what’s people using as there settings ? It’s my lounge with black out blinds. With everything off you need a torch to see your feet so it’s good enough for darkness, I’m using a sapphire 106” pull down screen, I’m using 4K player, Xbox s and sky q. Any help would be brilliant.
The UHD60 projects light when there is no image, meaning that this is the darkest black level (quite bright!), a pitch black room does nothing to change this - like making a room darker to make your torch light darker, not going to happen.

If you don't know what I mean, make you room dark, then turn on the UHD60 with no input and let it idle, that big grey rectangle that is now lighting up the room, that's your black level. Not very black is it?
Wesley Hester likes this.
post #3282 of 3473 Old 04-03-2019, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys I'm having a terrible day. My UHD60 light burnt out after less than 300 hours of use, I now know it's because whenever I turned the projector off the fan would only kick in for 5 seconds. I only found out today the fan should cool the lamp down for 90 seconds.

It gets worse though, I bought it refurbished from an eBay seller who lives in America (I'm in the UK) and the eBay shop is gone. I don't think I have anyway to get it fixed or to be refunded as I bought it back in July 2018.

Is there anyone who can give me any advice on how I could fix the fan problem? At this point I feel like I've put £1500 down the drain.
post #3283 of 3473 Old 04-03-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sym0 View Post
The UHD60 projects light when there is no image, meaning that this is the darkest black level (quite bright!), a pitch black room does nothing to change this - like making a room darker to make your torch light darker, not going to happen.

If you don't know what I mean, make you room dark, then turn on the UHD60 with no input and let it idle, that big grey rectangle that is now lighting up the room, that's your black level. Not very black is it?

I don't think that's exactly accurate. With Dynamic Black engaged and with various other calibration tweaks, you can get pretty decent black levels (as long as the source material is good).
post #3284 of 3473 Old 04-04-2019, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Anyone has any idea about the jorizontal rectangular boxes seen here? Whats wrong with my projector? Its a UHD65 and this is the first time I've seen this. It's very noticeable on brighter scenes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190403_181201[1].jpg
Views:	92
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	2548926  

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite

Last edited by ttn333; 04-04-2019 at 11:16 AM.
post #3285 of 3473 Old 04-04-2019, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttn333 View Post
Anyone has any idea about the jorizontal rectangular boxes seen here? Whats wrong with my projector? Its a UHD65 and this is the first time I've seen this. It's very noticeable on brighter scenes.
Are you watching that in streaming? And if so on which device?
post #3286 of 3473 Old 04-04-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Do you see this with all content or just streaming, or is this an MKV file that was downloaded? Do you see the same thing when playing a physical disc?
post #3287 of 3473 Old 04-04-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Netflix from Panasonic ub820 app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Do you see this with all content or just streaming, or is this an MKV file that was downloaded? Do you see the same thing when playing a physical disc?
I have not looked into that. I was a little taken aback when saw that last night. That's from netflix's The Highway Men ending scene. It's a good movie by the way.

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite
post #3288 of 3473 Old 04-04-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Netflix from Panasonic ub820 app.

Quote:
I have not looked into that. I was a little taken aback when saw that last night. That's from netflix's The Highway Men ending scene. It's a good movie by the way.
Turn off HDR. Then it goes away. That was how I got rid of it. Then used sliders to help it. Oh and watched it on Reference I believe.
post #3289 of 3473 Old 04-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Turn off HDR. Then it goes away. That was how I got rid of it. Then used sliders to help it. Oh and watched it on Reference I believe.
Turn of HDR on the Optoma?

Edit: or did you mean to turn off HDR on the UB820? I'm going to run the same scene on my xbox one x tonight and see if it's there. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by ttn333; 04-04-2019 at 04:42 PM.
post #3290 of 3473 Old 04-04-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Turn of HDR on the Optoma?

Edit: or did you mean to turn off HDR on the UB820? I'm going to run the same scene on my xbox one x tonight and see if it's there. Has anyone else experienced this?
Change to sd2020 I meant sorry....I saw it in Triple Frontier. So I changed it...then I went to my Apple 4k tv to see if it did it also and it did not. So it has something to do with the Netflix HDR on it or one of the settings on the 820...but as soon as I turned it to SD2020 and adjusted the sliders it looked great and no boxes..I had multiple.
ttn333 likes this.
post #3291 of 3473 Old 04-05-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Change to sd2020 I meant sorry....I saw it in Triple Frontier. So I changed it...then I went to my Apple 4k tv to see if it did it also and it did not. So it has something to do with the Netflix HDR on it or one of the settings on the 820...but as soon as I turned it to SD2020 and adjusted the sliders it looked great and no boxes..I had multiple.
I do not see it with xbox one x, but the picture is darker with the one x and not as vibrant. I still see it with sd2020, although it was much more faint (thought it was gone initially). I didn't spend a lot of time playing with it. But maybe it's the way the panasonic hdr optimization work that causes this? I much prefer the panasonic netflix and amazon prime app with it's hdr optimization over the x even with it's many glitches.

post #3292 of 3473 Old 04-09-2019, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Optoma UHD-65 noise

I'm new to projectors and had no idea they made noise. I bought the Optoma UHD-65, the picture is nothing short of amazing but the projector has a whining noise - it is also above and behind my head. I can only hear it in quieter scenes but it bugs me. Is this normal and is there anything I can do about it?
post #3293 of 3473 Old 04-09-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 580
The whine is from either the color wheel or the XPR shift actuator. Unless its defective and unusually loud it most likely is normal. A hush box is the only solution or a LCD/LCOS projector.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3294 of 3473 Old 04-11-2019, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Aguilar
What is a hush box? Is this something you need to make or is it something you can purchase? What is it made of and how would you keep the projector from heating up?
post #3295 of 3473 Old 04-13-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Aguilar View Post
What is a hush box? Is this something you need to make or is it something you can purchase? What is it made of and how would you keep the projector from heating up?
A hush box is something you build to enclose the projector. You have internal fans to keep PJ cool. I built one for my Infocus X1 years ago Had intake fans one side exhaust fans opposite with PJ in middle. Huge thing mounted on ceiling but worked.
am2model3 likes this.

Optoma UHD65 4K projector, Painted screen 132", Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303 AV Receiver, Monoprice 10565 speakers with Onkyo Dolby Atmos speakers, Panasonic DP-UB820 4K player, Sony PS3, Sony PS4 Pro, Harmony Hub remote,
post #3296 of 3473 Old 04-14-2019, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've had my UHD60 for a while now and it's going well. Question though... have people been switching between Cinema for non-HDR movies and switching to HDR for HDR content?
This is what I usually do but was curious if people are leaving it in hdr mode?

Roku Ultra is my main source along with a PS4pro for games. When running on the PS4PRo I have Game mode on.
For the Roku I switch between Cinema and HDR modes.

Thanks!

Last edited by AstroCat; 04-14-2019 at 03:00 PM.
post #3297 of 3473 Old 04-14-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroCat View Post
I've had my UHD60 for a while now and it's going well. Question though... have people been switching between Cinema for non-HDR movies and switching to HDR for HDR content?
This is what I usually do but was curious if people are leaving it in hdr mode?

Roku Ultra is my main source along with a PS4pro for games. When running on the PS4PRo I have Game mode on.
For the Roku I switch between Cinema and HDR modes.

Thanks!

Yes, that is what I do. I use Cinema setting for non HDR blu rays or 1080p mkv files, and also while watching 4k movies with my Panasonic 820 with SDR 2020 settings. If I am watching a 4k mkv file on my Shield, I use HDR setting.
post #3298 of 3473 Old 04-14-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is what I do. I use Cinema setting for non HDR blu rays or 1080p mkv files, and also while watching 4k movies with my Panasonic 820 with SDR 2020 settings. If I am watching a 4k mkv file on my Shield, I use HDR setting.
Ok, thanks. I'll keep doing the same. I never did upgrade to c13, so I could keep HDR and Game mode together. Although on your shield you leave it on hdr for all content?
m0j0 likes this.
post #3299 of 3473 Old 04-14-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroCat View Post
Ok, thanks. I'll keep doing the same. I never did upgrade to c13, so I could keep HDR and Game mode together.

Haven't really come across too many cases where I was trying to play a 4k non HDR source. I would probably opt for the Cinema setting in that case.
post #3300 of 3473 Old 04-14-2019, 04:27 PM

Sorry, one more quick question. When you switch to cinema mode for 1080p content do you change your gamma back as well, or leave at 2.0? I found color 19 to be too vibrant, so I backed that down to 8 and Blue bias to 5 for 1080p and non-hdr.

Last edited by AstroCat; 04-14-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page