Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4518Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3361 of 3390 Old 06-07-2019, 11:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
The HT3550 would be a good option in a similar price range as the UHD60. If you can spend a bit more, you may also want to consider the HT5550, which does everything better than the 3550, or the Epson 5050UB, which is said to be brighter and have better color, but not quite as sharp as the 3550 or 5550. Also, you could go used with an Epson 5040 if you can find one available.
Thanks for the advise. I thought about HT3550/5550 but it seems there's same potential noise issue since they're using same chipset/mechanism.


mine was not that bad as above one but similar tone of the sound and i assume there's structural weakness of DLP inself under 60 Hz mode.

so I kinda giving up looking DLP anymore.

Display quality of UHD60 was over my expectation. so i believe HT3550/5550 would be similar/better.
but i believe i won't be ok under that buzz/wining noise.

Thanks for the advise though.
kdh651 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3362 of 3390 Old 06-07-2019, 01:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by atagert View Post
I think I've read most of the thread. I bought a UHD60. Pretty happy. Does anyone have issues with banding? Like in bright areas, the white and really light grays get turned into purple and pink? I had this issue on the default image setting before any tweaking and on all of them. I've used different cables and different image sources. Have it with both 1080p and 2160p. I'm out of ideas of what to change.
Can i hazard a guess you have a match rate setting enabled?

I see this happening when using the Apple TV with match frame rate, as soon as the frame rate drops from 60Hz to anyting less the Apple TV bumps up the chroma (422) and the colour depth to 12-bit.

THe UHD60 just doesn't handle it. It says it can, you can certainly watch the content but the conversion seems to fail leaving the purple blocks in greys and white ones on the sky, you can also see banding when this happens.

As soon as you reset the video settings on the ATV4k and set the deisplay to 4kSDR60 and set Range match only, its fine. All those issues go away.

I know you are using a different streaming device but I think this is a UHD60 issue accepting these higher chroma/colour depth signals.

The 60Hz refresh lock divides evenly with most frame rates (24 [5x24=120/2=60], 30, 60) so playback is smooth.
Sym0 is offline  
post #3363 of 3390 Old 06-09-2019, 06:27 AM
Member
 
Bryan H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
As a new owner of an UHD60 projector I am very impressed with its performance.

I do have a basic question which reading the multiple posts on here have me a bit confused. I've already purchased a 16:9 screen which I'm happy with but is there any possibility in the future of upgrading to a 2.35:1 screen?

Would I have to use an anamorphic lens? Or could I just simply adjust the zoom to match the screen?

I understand the projector doesn't have a motorized lens with memory but I would be satisfied in leaving it at the 2.35:1 ratio if so configured..

Thanks in advance,
Bryan
am2model3 likes this.
Bryan H is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3364 of 3390 Old 06-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
briansxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 72
HDR setting on UHD 60

I recently bought a UHD 60 and I am very pleased with the performance of the projector, especially at its price point. I have been looking at the HDR settings suggested here, but they do not seem to work for me. I have tried several of the settings posted, and I currently have HDR set to auto. However, if I use any setting other than "Detail" on HDR, I have really bad white crush on scenes with bright white (such as waterfalls or clouds). With the Detail mode, I still see some crushing, but nowhere near as bad as under Standard or Bright modes. This is an issue with both HDR and non-HDR scenes. If I turn HDR off and go to Cinema mode, the white crush disappears.

Does anyone with a UHD 60 have the same problem?

Thanks and all the best,

Brian
briansxx is offline  
post #3365 of 3390 Old 06-09-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansxx View Post
I recently bought a UHD 60 and I am very pleased with the performance of the projector, especially at its price point. I have been looking at the HDR settings suggested here, but they do not seem to work for me. I have tried several of the settings posted, and I currently have HDR set to auto. However, if I use any setting other than "Detail" on HDR, I have really bad white crush on scenes with bright white (such as waterfalls or clouds). With the Detail mode, I still see some crushing, but nowhere near as bad as under Standard or Bright modes. This is an issue with both HDR and non-HDR scenes. If I turn HDR off and go to Cinema mode, the white crush disappears.

Does anyone with a UHD 60 have the same problem?

Thanks and all the best,

Brian

What settings have you tried? What is your source, streaming, 4k blu ray, etc?
m0j0 is offline  
post #3366 of 3390 Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
briansxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
What settings have you tried? What is your source, streaming, 4k blu ray, etc?
Thank you for the feedback!

My source is streaming (4k firestick).

I'm using the following settings:

Display mode: HDR
dynamic range: HDR AUTO / DETAIL
brigthness: 0
contrast: 5
sharpness: 8
color: 2
tint: 1
gamma: Graphics

color settings
Brillant Color: 10
Color Temp: D65
Color gamut: Native

CMS X / Y / Brightness
(No changes from Graphics default setting)

RGB gain/bias
red -3 / 0
green 0 / 0
blue -1 / 0

I also use Dynamic Black 1

I've tried some of the other settings here, including other gammas, but I still have white crush. The Detail setting on HDR reduces it dramatically, but some of the 'pop' is lost. Standard gives excellent 'pop' but I lose detail completely in "high whiteness" scenes (like the waterfalls in the Costa Rica 4K HDR movie on Youtube).

Thanks and all the best,

Brian

Last edited by briansxx; 06-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.
briansxx is offline  
post #3367 of 3390 Old 06-09-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansxx View Post
Thank you for the feedback!

My source is streaming (4k firestick).

I'm using the following settings:

Display mode: HDR
dynamic range: HDR AUTO / DETAIL
brigthness: 0
contrast: 5
sharpness: 8
color: 2
tint: 1
gamma: Graphics

color settings
Brillant Color: 10
Color Temp: D65
Color gamut: Native

CMS X / Y / Brightness
(No changes from Graphics default setting)

RGB gain/bias
red -3 / 0
green 0 / 0
blue -1 / 0

I also use Dynamic Black 1

I've tried some of the other settings here, including other gammas, but I still have white crush. The Detail setting on HDR reduces it dramatically, but some of the 'pop' is lost. Standard gives excellent 'pop' but I lose detail completely in "high whiteness" scenes (like the waterfalls in the Costa Rica 4K HDR movie on Youtube).

Thanks and all the best,

Brian

These are the settings I found to work well for HDR on my Nvidia Shield. The setting I found to be problematic was Brilliant Color. At a setting of 2, I had no issues, but wanted a slightly brighter picture, so would often times settle in at 3.





Optoma UHD60:

Display Mode: HDR
Wall Color: Off
Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode Standard
Brightness: -1
Contrast: -2
Sharpness: 8
Color: 6 (I start at 19, then drop to 10, then 6, then 3, if needed, to get good skin tones on a per movie basis)
Tint: -2
Gamma: 1.8
Ultra Detail: 1 (I notch it up to 2 or 3 on really clean movies, but otherwise keep it at 1, especially if there is a lot of film grain)
Dynamic Black: On
Brilliant Color: 3 (This works for most movies, but sometimes have to drop it to 2 if there is a lot of situations where white is being blown out or acting funny due to dynamic black being on)
Color Temp: D65
Color Gamut: Cinema
CMS: Defaults
Color Space: Auto
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:
Red Gain: -4
Green Gain: -1
Blue Gain: 12
Red Bias: 0
Green Bias: -1
Blue Bias: 2
m0j0 is offline  
post #3368 of 3390 Old 06-09-2019, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
briansxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 72
m0j0,

Thank you for the settings--much appreciated!

I'll give them a try this evening.

Thanks again and all the best,

Brian
briansxx is offline  
post #3369 of 3390 Old 06-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
briansxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 72
m0j0,

Thank you--those settings worked very well on my projector--definitely tamed that white crush!

All the best,

Brian
m0j0 likes this.
briansxx is offline  
post #3370 of 3390 Old 06-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansxx View Post
m0j0,

Thank you--those settings worked very well on my projector--definitely tamed that white crush!

All the best,

Brian
The main issue is HDR picture settings, they are too saturated, the Cinema setting is the most accurate and will not have the issues you speak of. Remember, the picture modes are just preset processing, it has nothing to do with HDR or SDR signals at all.

HDR is not meant to pop, its mean to have more graduations in colour and a larger range of brightness, not more saturated colour or brighter picture.

All you are doing is dial back out what HDR settings put in, in other words your recreating something similar to cinema's default settings. As long as it works for you.
Sym0 is offline  
post #3371 of 3390 Old 06-10-2019, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
briansxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sym0 View Post
The main issue is HDR picture settings, they are too saturated, the Cinema setting is the most accurate and will not have the issues you speak of. Remember, the picture modes are just preset processing, it has nothing to do with HDR or SDR signals at all.

HDR is not meant to pop, its mean to have more graduations in colour and a larger range of brightness, not more saturated colour or brighter picture.

All you are doing is dial back out what HDR settings put in, in other words your recreating something similar to cinema's default settings. As long as it works for you.
Good points, Sym0. Thank you.
I also swapped out the Firestick for my Roku 4k (which also does HDR) and found the picture to be significantly different--saturation was more natural and the white crush was almost completely eliminated.

All the best,

Brian

Last edited by briansxx; 06-10-2019 at 06:30 AM.
briansxx is offline  
post #3372 of 3390 Old 06-11-2019, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,377
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan H View Post
I've already purchased a 16:9 screen which I'm happy with but is there any possibility in the future of upgrading to a 2.35:1 screen?

Would I have to use an anamorphic lens? Or could I just simply adjust the zoom to match the screen?

I understand the projector doesn't have a motorized lens with memory but I would be satisfied in leaving it at the 2.35:1 ratio if so configured.

Assuming the UHD60 features an anamorphic mode, the construction of a contraption to slide an anamorphic lens (expensive!) in front of the projector's lens would be one solution if you consider upgrading to a 2.35:1 screen.


The other manual option is quite a hazzle, i.e. the UHD60 needs to be located in the 'sweet spot' where a full screen 16:9 image and the wider 2.35:1 image segment do have the same height. You'll have to manually adjust both zoom and lens shift to switch between both formats.


Also check out the CIH (Constant Image Height) thread here at the AVS: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2...e-height-chat/



"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 06-11-2019 at 04:35 AM.
Frank714 is offline  
post #3373 of 3390 Old 06-11-2019, 07:02 PM
Member
 
Bryan H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Assuming the UHD60 features an anamorphic mode, the construction of a contraption to slide an anamorphic lens (expensive!) in front of the projector's lens would be one solution if you consider upgrading to a 2.35:1 screen.


The other manual option is quite a hazzle, i.e. the UHD60 needs to be located in the 'sweet spot' where a full screen 16:9 image and the wider 2.35:1 image segment do have the same height. You'll have to manually adjust both zoom and lens shift to switch between both formats.


Also check out the CIH (Constant Image Height) thread here at the AVS: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2...e-height-chat/


Thank you!
Bryan H is offline  
post #3374 of 3390 Old 06-18-2019, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 194
HDR is a mixed bag. So many HDR sources are inequal; the 4k movie disc can be HDR10 or dolby vision; but the movies can be HDR mastered at 1000nits or other variable nit levels. Sometimes HDR is just plain incorrectly done on the source disc. Same with HDR gaming as well.



SDR 4k 2160p looks great in its own right!



Some HDR movies look good on uhd60; some don't. Some that do: Aquaman 4k and TransformersLastKnight; HDR 4k looks stunning! Other films; not so much. in those cases, 2160p 4k SDR is superb and can best the 1080p blu ray.
Wesley Hester likes this.
am2model3 is offline  
post #3375 of 3390 Old 06-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2model3 View Post
HDR is a mixed bag. So many HDR sources are inequal; the 4k movie disc can be HDR10 or dolby vision; but the movies can be HDR mastered at 1000nits or other variable nit levels. Sometimes HDR is just plain incorrectly done on the source disc. Same with HDR gaming as well.



SDR 4k 2160p looks great in its own right!



Some HDR movies look good on uhd60; some don't. Some that do: Aquaman 4k and TransformersLastKnight; HDR 4k looks stunning! Other films; not so much. in those cases, 2160p 4k SDR is superb and can best the 1080p blu ray.
Correct,

You can count on one hand how many movies have been recorded, edited, mastered and distributed in proper HDR and 4k, the rest have either been edited or mastered in 1k or 2k only and upscaled, and many have not recorded HDR at all and just passing through wide colour gamut which is like a fraction of Rec 2020.
am2model3 likes this.
Sym0 is offline  
post #3376 of 3390 Old 07-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Solution ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswire View Post
Hi all. Proud new owner of UHD65. Trying to set it up in a light controlled environment, approx 15 ft from 108" white (1.0 gain) slim bezel screen. Still playing around with the settings and calibration but came across this....see pictures below. I know not the best picture but it shows exactly what I see. I have light "bleeding" like halo effect ABOVE and BELOW my screen that does NOT have any image (ie it's just light, not the image itself). I setup the projector perfectly centered and did have to vertical shift down a bit (projector higher than top of screen). Has anyone seen this before? There is no keystone setting with this projector so it's not that (as I found out could be the cause). I have no digital zoom, nothing. I setup the image perfect with the screen using test patterns.
Which projector screen are you using ? Did you find a solution to the halo bleed ? I am looking for a solution.
infotalk is offline  
post #3377 of 3390 Old 07-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
FYI, not seeing any such thing even though my calibration pattern is not perfectly aligned. Are you sure your optical zoom ring hasn't moved ?
Try showing the calibration pattern again just to double check. Some sources may not display all lines depending on source aspect ratio and could possibly be centered which could explain your situation, at least in theory.
I dont think it is the zoom. That halo around the screen is annoying at times. I want to get rid of it. Unfortunately I ordered an "Elite Zero Edge screen" before discovering this issue. Wondering if the screen with border will solve this.
infotalk is offline  
post #3378 of 3390 Old 07-08-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,419
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 143
A screen will have to have good size border to "absorb" the light you are talking about. The larger the screen size, the larger the light border is unfortunately.


P. S. The light border of the .65" DMD's (like what the Optoma UHD60/65 use) is smaller than the 0.47"-ers.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch

Last edited by Wesley Hester; 07-08-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #3379 of 3390 Old 07-10-2019, 04:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sym0 View Post
Can i hazard a guess you have a match rate setting enabled?

I see this happening when using the Apple TV with match frame rate, as soon as the frame rate drops from 60Hz to anyting less the Apple TV bumps up the chroma (422) and the colour depth to 12-bit.

THe UHD60 just doesn't handle it. It says it can, you can certainly watch the content but the conversion seems to fail leaving the purple blocks in greys and white ones on the sky, you can also see banding when this happens.

As soon as you reset the video settings on the ATV4k and set the deisplay to 4kSDR60 and set Range match only, its fine. All those issues go away.

I know you are using a different streaming device but I think this is a UHD60 issue accepting these higher chroma/colour depth signals.

The 60Hz refresh lock divides evenly with most frame rates (24 [5x24=120/2=60], 30, 60) so playback is smooth.

Hi. I do have an ACER M550 which is most probably the same hardware base. I am experiencing similar issues with Kodi on an NEO U9-H as well as with Netflix on the Xbox One X. I've been looking for a solution to this issue for a while. I do not see similar issues on well compressed sources or HDR, although they might be present.

Interestingly enougy, ACER did provide a firmware update with two new color modes that are free from this issue. But all other presets keep presenting the same banding + dynamic black magenta artefacts. The other flaw from the new modes is that they seem to be buggy as well with too much red unless you change once the settings.

I am eager to test your recommendation to uncheck the match rate option. Thank you, by the way! This will be a piece of cake with the U9-H. For the Xbox, I probably need to uncheck the 24 and 50Hz options.


PS: if you need some test material that provide a good "banding" source, try Altered Carbon, Episode 8, from 1:00 to about 4:00
maxlam is offline  
post #3380 of 3390 Old 07-11-2019, 02:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi again
After my test of disabling the matching of the projector frequency to the film, I can report that for me, this isn't the solution.
The only viable solution to get rid of the posterization, banding and dynamic artefact is to use the Rec.709 mode, which is certainly the equivalent of the reference mode on the Optoma. In that mode, you get rid of all banding or other issues, which I think were due to bad compression of the source material. This has however a cost, because this mode is way dimmer compared to the other mode. But on my screen base, I can get a satisfying picture disabling the Eco mode. I've then got with lamp standard mode and color mode Rec.709, a puchy picture with dynamic black on free from artefacts and banding.
maxlam is offline  
post #3381 of 3390 Old 07-20-2019, 09:18 AM
Member
 
AstroCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've had the UHD60 for a while now and it's been great. All of sudden, with 0 changes on my side HDMI Port 2 is acting super flaky. HDMI port 1 works fine with it's built in limitations. It seems most of the time now Port 2 will not find any source, and when it does it will pick up only 1080 60 devices. I've tried all the things, different cables, devices etc... makes no difference.

Has anyone had their main Port 2 die on them? Any good tests I can do that I might have not done to try and figure out what is going on?

UPDATE: Reading some more forum posts and user reviews online and it seems Port 2 is known to go bad! Ugh! I have had the projector for just over a year so my understanding is that it will still be in warranty. I'll make an RMA call Monday morning.

Thanks!

Last edited by AstroCat; 07-20-2019 at 10:55 AM.
AstroCat is offline  
post #3382 of 3390 Old 07-21-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Don Rombach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroCat View Post
I've had the UHD60 for a while now and it's been great. All of sudden, with 0 changes on my side HDMI Port 2 is acting super flaky. HDMI port 1 works fine with it's built in limitations. It seems most of the time now Port 2 will not find any source, and when it does it will pick up only 1080 60 devices. I've tried all the things, different cables, devices etc... makes no difference.

Has anyone had their main Port 2 die on them? Any good tests I can do that I might have not done to try and figure out what is going on?

UPDATE: Reading some more forum posts and user reviews online and it seems Port 2 is known to go bad! Ugh! I have had the projector for just over a year so my understanding is that it will still be in warranty. I'll make an RMA call Monday morning.

Thanks!
I just recently got my UHD65 back from Optima for a port 2 failure. I do think the cause was due to a static discharge since my AVR went out at the same time.

In my case, the limited information on the repair RMA indicated they changed out the internal scaler. The firmware was also updated.

I immediately noticed a marked improvement in the picture quality in both HDR and cinema modes. Particularly flesh tones. I no longer have to turn off dynamic black to do away with the weird face posterization. On the other hand, when fed twelve-bit 4k, the banding is much worse than before, but setting my UB900 to 10-bit clears that up almost entirely. Now I need to find a streaming device that I can set to 10-bit HDR since it appears I cannot with my ROKU Ultra.

In short, while sending it in for repair is a pain, I think you'll be glad it was necessary in the end.

There is a port 2 reset procedure you can try too. In fact, the Optima tech wanted me to do this before I sent it in until I told him I had already tried it.

It's in this thread here: (post 2716) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56307076

BTW, you might want to record your lamp hours as it will come back zeroed out.

Big D
Don Rombach is offline  
post #3383 of 3390 Old 07-21-2019, 01:23 PM
Member
 
nunyabiziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rombach View Post
I just recently got my UHD65 back from Optima for a port 2 failure. I do think the cause was due to a static discharge since my AVR went out at the same time.



In my case, the limited information on the repair RMA indicated they changed out the internal scaler. The firmware was also updated.



I immediately noticed a marked improvement in the picture quality in both HDR and cinema modes. Particularly flesh tones. I no longer have to turn off dynamic black to do away with the weird face posterization. On the other hand, when fed twelve-bit 4k, the banding is much worse than before, but setting my UB900 to 10-bit clears that up almost entirely. Now I need to find a streaming device that I can set to 10-bit HDR since it appears I cannot with my ROKU Ultra.



In short, while sending it in for repair is a pain, I think you'll be glad it was necessary in the end.



There is a port 2 reset procedure you can try too. In fact, the Optima tech wanted me to do this before I sent it in until I told him I had already tried it.



It's in this thread here: (post 2716) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56307076



BTW, you might want to record your lamp hours as it will come back zeroed out.
What's the firmware version on your unit? TIA.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
nunyabiziz is offline  
post #3384 of 3390 Old 07-21-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Don Rombach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'll take a look when I get home tomorrow.

Big D
Don Rombach is offline  
post #3385 of 3390 Old 07-22-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Don Rombach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyabiziz View Post
what's the firmware version on your unit? Tia.

Sent from my sm-g975u using tapatalk
c15.

Big D
Don Rombach is offline  
post #3386 of 3390 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
Newbie
 
herkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's new right? C13 used to be the latest? I wonder what changed...
herkguy is offline  
post #3387 of 3390 Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
Member
 
AstroCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rombach View Post
I just recently got my UHD65 back from Optima for a port 2 failure. I do think the cause was due to a static discharge since my AVR went out at the same time.

In my case,... here: (post 2716) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56307076

BTW, you might want to record your lamp hours as it will come back zeroed out.
Thanks for the reply and info, unfortunately the port reset didn't help. I called and talked to support and yeah it's toast. Also I've always had a bit of the actuator buzz, so they'll check that out and update the firmware. I'll just have to deal with no projector for 2-3 weeks total round trip.
Don Rombach likes this.
AstroCat is offline  
post #3388 of 3390 Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
Member
 
AstroCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkguy View Post
That's new right? C13 used to be the latest? I wonder what changed...
I asked about the auto HDR switching, which would force me out of Game mode if I upgraded my firmware (I had older version) but they said now you can turn auto-HDR switching off, maybe that's and add from C13?
AstroCat is offline  
post #3389 of 3390 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Don Rombach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroCat View Post
I asked about the auto HDR switching, which would force me out of Game mode if I upgraded my firmware (I had older version) but they said now you can turn auto-HDR switching off, maybe that's and add from C13?
Could be. While I haven't tried disabling auto-switching, I do recall seeing the option tho.

It does seem the black levels may be improved as well. Though this may be more content-related and/or a result of not having to turn off dynamic black. Hopefully, I'll have a bit more time to play with the PJ and my new AVR this weekend and will be able to subjectively confirm this. One thing that hasn't changed is the brightness adjustment is still rather coarse. I set brightness to -1, but the ideal setting would fall between 0 and -1 for my set up. I think I'll have to peruse my Panasonic players settings to see if I can tweak it there.

Just a reminder, the PQ changes I've seen may not be firmware related at all since the repair packing slip indicated the internal scaler was replaced. Not sure if that's because the HDMI port is integral or they simply decided to update the PJ.

Big D

Last edited by Don Rombach; Yesterday at 07:06 PM.
Don Rombach is offline  
post #3390 of 3390 Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlam View Post
Hi again
After my test of disabling the matching of the projector frequency to the film, I can report that for me, this isn't the solution.
One thing to note on the ATV4k is that once you have used frame and match settings YOU HAVE TO RESET VIDEO SETTINGS before forcing the output to 60Hz/SDR with Range Match other wise the banding will hang around.

This why I call it a bug because once activated it won't go away until you reset the video under settings.
Sym0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off