Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4531Likes

post #3481 of 3489 Old 12-24-2019, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 236
just a reminder, anyone wanting to watch 4K UHD movie discs on the UHD60/65; get a really great Panasonic UB820 or 420; HDR tone mapping and HDR optimizer make your movies look amazing! both players on sale at best buy now.
Wesley Hester, m0j0 and DunMunro like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3489 Old 12-31-2019, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidios View Post
Firmware version C15.
The GPU is an AMD Radeon RX480 with the latest official drivers.
If you keep the frequency at 24Hz you have enough bandwidth to get any color space in YUV 12 bit 4: 4: 4 rec2020.
The Vp with any signal you put I recognize it in the same way.

As a player I use PLEX but of course HDR must be forced from the "screen" control panel of windows.

The result is not bad, I can also adjust the brightness of the windows HDR but maybe it burns the details on the highlights.

I find more correct as the HDR represents the Nvidia Shield that Win10 (always PLEX), but in HTPC with 12bit 4: 4: 4 rec.2020 the nuances are all there.

Now I have a resolution problem, I had to make a resolution on purpose because I have the screen in 2: 1 format (3840x1920) and with this resolution in YUV the videos shoot.

Using an HTPC as a player is hell .....

Fabio

I just tried the same settings you posted, but with my nVidia GT1030 GPU instead of your AMD.
I set it to 24 Hz and 12 bit . Then I enabled HDR color in Windows. The entire desktop became very dull and very dark - to the point of being nearly unreadable. This has always been the case every time I tried to enable HDR in Windows 10.

The projector's menu also is not displaying the color space or color bits like yours are. My projector is only on C08, the original firmware for the UHD65. I didn't know there was a C15. It looks like Optoma must have fixed a lot of things in the newer firmware. This may be enough motivation to get it upgraded.

That said, my receiver has a screen which shows the HDMI signal information. It shows indeed that the color space got changed to BT.2020 when enabling HDR in Windows , with RGB 12 bit color.

That said, I don't have any problem playing HDR movies from my Sony UBP-X800 . The receiver says the signal is BT.2020 YbCbCr 12 bit, though the picture is somewhat darker than it could be. It is perfectly watchable, though, unlike my Windows desktop in HDR mode.
post #3483 of 3489 Old 12-31-2019, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My First post here! Long time owner “don’t laugh, ok point and laugh” of a mistu hc1500, I have kept it going for quite some time and have recently replaced the color wheel w an eBay one, the segments are not identical so my color is crap, time for upgrade the case is brittle from the heat of the bulb and age, no keeping that top spinning any longer, I’m really intrigued at the uhd60 for price and all around use strengths, i zeroed in on an epson for 3chip tech but the huuuuge amount of power supply failures is a big turn off, these Optomas seemed to have an early on HDMI port issue, which I’m hoping by now is resolved, plus ppl chimed in how Optoma repaired/replaced pretty easily, my real question here to you all is, light bleed/color uniformity, I plan to run a desktop win 10, gtx1060 6gb on this as you can picture, the icons are on the corners, will there be noticeable loss of sharpness on the corners like this? I can’t find any examples of a desktop background image on YouTube but I do read and hear about edge clarity could be better, thanks! Will also be looking at the Nvidia sheild pro to handle the 4K media to get the most out of it, but mostly use my desktop to steam all my media,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3484 of 3489 Old 01-01-2020, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
I just tried the same settings you posted, but with my nVidia GT1030 GPU instead of your AMD.
I set it to 24 Hz and 12 bit . Then I enabled HDR color in Windows. The entire desktop became very dull and very dark - to the point of being nearly unreadable. This has always been the case every time I tried to enable HDR in Windows 10.

The projector's menu also is not displaying the color space or color bits like yours are. My projector is only on C08, the original firmware for the UHD65. I didn't know there was a C15. It looks like Optoma must have fixed a lot of things in the newer firmware. This may be enough motivation to get it upgraded.

That said, my receiver has a screen which shows the HDMI signal information. It shows indeed that the color space got changed to BT.2020 when enabling HDR in Windows , with RGB 12 bit color.
In my opinion, the problem of banding has been solved.
I don't know if it was the C15 but now with 12 or 10bit there are all the nuances.
Now I have a problem with the custon 3840x1920 resolution, sometimes it does not show me the YUV 4: 4: 4 color profile but only RGB.
I'm trying to understand what it is used to change the EQ value on the projector's HDMI settings.
What do you do if you increase it? and what does it do if I decrease it?

For Windows 10 HDR it is normal for characters to be misinterpreted, you need to use a player compatible with the HDR passtrough. Maybe MPC-HC with MadVR

Fabio
post #3485 of 3489 Old 01-04-2020, 03:26 AM

By now I have finished all the tests to try to understand what is the cause of the banding.
Despite having set the HPC very well with MPC + MadVR + HDR and the UHD65 recognizes HDR with the symbol, the bands are always there.
Of course the HTTPC comes out in YUV 12bit 4: 4: 4 Rec2020 and is correctly recognized by the UHD65.

There is nothing to do, in Rec2020 the color space is stretched and cannot reproduce all the nuances.
It looks like a limit of the UHD65 Optoma.
Same thing happens with the Shield in YUV 12bit 4: 2: 2 Rec 2020.

Only solution is a conversion that does enough PLEX from HDR to SDR.
The image is much brighter, there is no banding but of course details are lost on the high and low lights.

Fabio
post #3486 of 3489 Old 01-11-2020, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Trying to figure out the ideal placement for my UHD60. screen is already up — 135" diagonal, 16:9. I'm ceiling mounting. Are these calculator tools accurate? https://imgur.com/YoHQL2d

Is the lens center being 10 inches above the top of the screen really optimal?
post #3487 of 3489 Old 01-12-2020, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrain811 View Post
Trying to figure out the ideal placement for my UHD60. screen is already up — 135" diagonal, 16:9. I'm ceiling mounting. Are these calculator tools accurate? https://imgur.com/YoHQL2d

Is the lens center being 10 inches above the top of the screen really optimal?
Offset is 100%, which means the center of the lens is at the same level as the top visible part of the screen (ceiling mount).

Lens shift is 15% offset (with tolerance +/- 5%).
The image can be shifted downwards (ceiling mount setup) by up to 15% (image height). For an 135" 16:9 screen that is 9.93".

Projector dimensions on page 52:
https://www.optoma.com/us/wp-content...60-M-en-US.pdf
post #3488 of 3489 Old 01-13-2020, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Been loving my UHD60 for past few years, but I just got a dead pixel and have no idea what to do to fix it, or even if it's possible??

Image shows the dead pixel under the "H"... I know it's small but I can't stop looking at it, and fear it might get worst 😞. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1578961522580237399733791653136_1578961610454.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	2669530  
post #3489 of 3489 Old 01-13-2020, 11:17 PM

Liked: 1
Hi All. This forum has been so helpful in bringing out the best from my Optoma UHD60. However, I have run into a roadblock here. I have bought the projector from the USA but am using it in my home country and wanted to upgrade to the latest firmware. However, there is no possibility here to do it without paying an exorbitant amount to the local dealer. Any way to upgrade the firmware without sending it to the service dealer?

Thanks for all your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page