Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4525Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Apparently there is not yet one single user that uses a UHD 60 or 65 for UHD Blu-ray projection and with a 16:9 screen.

Considering that most UHD Blu-rays come in a 21:9 (2.35:1) format, I would have expected someone to try the digital image shift to lower the 2.35:1 image content to get the image 'event' closer to the sound 'event' (i.e. front speakers below the screen), add to this that viewing comfort should be bigger...

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Frank714 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,264
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
While the UHD60 is great for gaming/family room, remember it has a RGBCYW wheel which spells poor contrast for movies in a dark room. With the optomas, UHZ65 is spec'd best for this scenario, and UHD65 2nd best. Uhd60/uhd550x would likely disappoint for movies in a dark room.

Very important with these Optoma models that you buy the one that fits the purpose you intend.
And the UHZ65 looks nice... Been watching that thread too. Would be nice to go laser... But if the contrast on the UHD65 is really good, I can buy a new UHD65 bulb every year for 5 years and it'll be cheaper than laser

-T
T-Bone is offline  
post #183 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 07:35 AM
Member
 
rkabir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
I received my UHD 60 from Amazon on Monday July 3rd.

The good:

Is the the real deal when it comes to 4K resolution and HDR. Impressive based on that alone.

The bad:

Contrast is a disappointment compared to my Sony 40ES projector.
Ceiling mounting flexibility is not really flexible. 15 percent vertical shift is really not that great.
No matter what angle I aim the projector at the screen, I can't get the picture to be perfectly square using the built in test grid. It is like the grid starts bending at the corners. Never had a problem with alignment with my Sony 40ES.
Cheap build quality. That flip door that hides the lens shift and zoom controls is very flimsy.



I think I am going to attempt to return the UHD60 and get the UHD65. I am not a gamer anyways.
I have a UHD65 and other than the contrast the UHD65 has the same issues:
Ceiling mounting flexibility is the same
Also the UHD65 build quality isnt very premium and the door is very flimsy.

But I can overlook those issues, my mount is setup perfectly and I need 0 lens shift, either horizontally or vertically. Also the cheap build quality doesnt bother me too much as long as the image on the screen is this good.

As for contrast, I never had a display device with super dark blacks. But to me, the blacks on the UHD65 looks very dark and is much better compared the Epson 3010 I had, so I am happy with the upgrade.
rkabir is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #184 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 11,367
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
A couple things on dark blacks and contrast. I have owned and demoed many projectors over the years and I get why people really like the LCOS projectors and some LCD projectors. They have better contrast. But to take full advantage of this contrast you really need the right room. This means light control (no ambient light) and darker walls, floors, and ceiling. In other words a true theater room.

I helped my neighbor build out his theater room. He had a Sony LCOS projector (forget the exact model off the top of my head, but it was a top of the line model about 4 years ago). We pained the walls and ceiling black (was white ceiling and beige walls). The difference was dramatic. I even brought over my Acer9500 and compared and you could really see the difference in contrast between the two. Then we added some ambient light (dimmer swith) to the room and the contrast between the two was marginal at best.

The point is that if you are in a room dealing with some ambient light or perhaps don't have dark walls, ceiling, floors, etc you will lose that contrast advantage and some of these discussions around native contrast become mute. At that point you should be more focused on getting a projector with good sharpness, lumen output, etc.

Just my .02 cents.
davedude likes this.
ack_bk is offline  
post #185 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Member
 
ldavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It is interesting to have someone point out this very obvious fact about contrast and where are now with projector design. The room is far more important than the projector in most cases (much like it is with sound design). I can remember back to some early DLPs where that was clearly not the case.

Bear in mind that room design is a give and take process. My brother in law (whom I addicted to this expensive drug…HT) designed his room for the ultimate contrast. He has an LCOS projector, dark walls and floors, black ceiling, and even a gray screen. There is no doubt he has better blacks that I have, but he is unhappy with the design. The room is a dungeon and is unsuitable for much other than watching a movie. He likes to entertain but cannot use one of the showpieces of his house since no one really wants to socialize in the dark. He made very legitimate design decisions but maybe did not consider all of the ramifications.
nowknown likes this.
ldavis is offline  
post #186 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
BondDonBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
A couple things on dark blacks and contrast. I have owned and demoed many projectors over the years and I get why people really like the LCOS projectors and some LCD projectors. They have better contrast. But to take full advantage of this contrast you really need the right room. This means light control (no ambient light) and darker walls, floors, and ceiling. In other words a true theater room.

I helped my neighbor build out his theater room. He had a Sony LCOS projector (forget the exact model off the top of my head, but it was a top of the line model about 4 years ago). We pained the walls and ceiling black (was white ceiling and beige walls). The difference was dramatic. I even brought over my Acer9500 and compared and you could really see the difference in contrast between the two. Then we added some ambient light (dimmer swith) to the room and the contrast between the two was marginal at best.

The point is that if you are in a room dealing with some ambient light or perhaps don't have dark walls, ceiling, floors, etc you will lose that contrast advantage and some of these discussions around native contrast become mute. At that point you should be more focused on getting a projector with good sharpness, lumen output, etc.

Just my .02 cents.
Agreed, I just did the same thing, but not Black but dark blue and it made a big difference. BUT this room is a home theater, not a social room or other activities, 100% dedicated so the lights are off most of the time anyway.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
BondDonBond is offline  
post #187 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Member
 
davedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkisaad View Post
you the first one you didn't like the Optoma UHD 60.
I like the projector for the obvious improvement in resolution/sharpness, but I look forward to trying out the UHD 65 to see if I can get by some of the perceived limitations of the UHD 60. I know the Vivitek HK2288 is coming out but I can't justify the cost increase no matter how much of an improvement it might be..(speculation). $2500 is my max budget and the UHD65 is $2500.

If you are a gamer, I can still recommend the UHD 60 on the resolution increase (and less latency than the UHD 65)

Turkisaad likes this.
davedude is offline  
post #188 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,264
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Apparently there is not yet one single user that uses a UHD 60 or 65 for UHD Blu-ray projection and with a 16:9 screen.

Considering that most UHD Blu-rays come in a 21:9 (2.35:1) format, I would have expected someone to try the digital image shift to lower the 2.35:1 image content to get the image 'event' closer to the sound 'event' (i.e. front speakers below the screen), add to this that viewing comfort should be bigger...
I agree.. wish someone would try it and post it.

It's a great feature. I will sometimes use my htpc to shift a 2.35:1 or 2:40:1 to the bottom of my screen using J River media center. It's only a 13 percent downward shift per j river.

-T
T-Bone is offline  
post #189 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Member
 
davedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Since I have a vaulted ceiling and I am unable to mount the UHD 60 higher than the top of the screen, I am thinking of just putting it on a shelf. Do I have to have the projector on a shelf at or lower than the bottom of the screen? I rather have the projector sitting on a shelf at about the height of the center of the screen it is projecting on if possible.
davedude is offline  
post #190 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Apparently there is not yet one single user that uses a UHD 60 or 65 for UHD Blu-ray projection and with a 16:9 screen.

Considering that most UHD Blu-rays come in a 21:9 (2.35:1) format, I would have expected someone to try the digital image shift to lower the 2.35:1 image content to get the image 'event' closer to the sound 'event' (i.e. front speakers below the screen), add to this that viewing comfort should be bigger...
I am getting my UHD60 today and I have a 150" 16:9 screen that I plan to use for UHD 4K BR discs watching, and 4K gaming. I am going to stick with 16:9 because I also use it for regular Bluray and NFL etc,

I can run some tests once I have it aligned and calibrated and see how things look.
rmerlano and Frank714 like this.
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #191 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
Do I have to have the projector on a shelf at or lower than the bottom of the screen?
Yes, lens center has to be on the same horizontal level as the bottom edge of your image or lower. Higher is not possible, unfortunately. Theoretically you could place the projector under a table and use that for beverages and snacks.
davedude likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Frank714 is offline  
post #192 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
Since I have a vaulted ceiling and I am unable to mount the UHD 60 higher than the top of the screen, I am thinking of just putting it on a shelf. Do I have to have the projector on a shelf at or lower than the bottom of the screen? I rather have the projector sitting on a shelf at about the height of the center of the screen it is projecting on if possible.
Everything that I have read says the projector needs to be in line with the top or bottom of the screen. You do have some wiggle room (15% )with the vertical shift.
davedude likes this.
abattle79 is offline  
post #193 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 10:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
I am getting my UHD60 today and I have a 150" 16:9 screen that I plan to use for UHD 4K BR discs watching, and 4K gaming. I am going to stick with 16:9 because I also use it for regular Bluray and NFL etc,

I can run some tests once I have it aligned and calibrated and see how things look.
Mine is also coming today. Please post any tips and tricks once you get yours up.
abattle79 is offline  
post #194 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr Ian B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin/Cedar Park, Texas
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
I am getting my UHD60 today and I have a 150" 16:9 screen that I plan to use for UHD 4K BR discs watching, and 4K gaming. I am going to stick with 16:9 because I also use it for regular Bluray and NFL etc,

I can run some tests once I have it aligned and calibrated and see how things look.
Please post any videos or pics you can. If you live in the Austin area, I would like to swing by and check the pj so I know what to expect when I get mine in about a week from PP.

Thanks,

Ian b
Mr Ian B is offline  
post #195 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post
Please post any videos or pics you can. If you live in the Austin area, I would like to swing by and check the pj so I know what to expect when I get mine in about a week from PP.

Thanks,

Ian b
I am in Houston so you'd have to drive a couple hours.

Did you get a 60 or a 65?
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #196 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by abattle79 View Post
Everything that I have read says the projector needs to be in line with the top or bottom of the screen. You do have some wiggle room (15% )with the vertical shift.
...but only further up (ceiling-mounted) or further down (table-mounted). You need to understand how projection lenses in budget DLP projectors work which are actually lenses of presentation projectors, recycled for HT projectors:



This kind of offset is unsuitable for many home theater installations, hence some manufacturers equip their HT projectors with a 'lens shift' to correct this offset, i.e. the lens shift reduces or eliminates the offset, but the best you get is have the center of the lens on the same horizontal level as the bottom edge of your projection image (table-mounted) or the top edge of your projection image (ceiling-mounted).
davedude likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Frank714 is offline  
post #197 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,849
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Yes, lens center has to be on the same horizontal level as the bottom edge of your image or lower. Higher is not possible, unfortunately. Theoretically you could place the projector under a table and use that for beverages and snacks.
I dub thee the SNACKJECTOR!
davedude and Frank714 like this.
Ruined is offline  
post #198 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mr Ian B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin/Cedar Park, Texas
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I am in Houston so you'd have to drive a couple hours.

Did you get a 60 or a 65?


Longhorn, thanks for offer. I am in Austin but avail sun or mon. Let me know your schedule via pm. Ordered the 65 and should get mid July. Def worth the trip.

Ian B
Mr Ian B is offline  
post #199 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Member
 
davedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am in San Antonio. Seems like a lot of Texans bought these projectors!

Thanks everyone for advice on where to mount the UHD 60/65. I think turning it into a "SNACKJECTOR" by putting it at a height below the bottom of my 135" screen is out of the question. I am going to try to figure out if there is anyway in my room to get the projector equal to or higher than the top of the screen. (That will be hard to do because my screen is actually already at the top of the wall and pressed up against the ceiling!)
davedude is offline  
post #200 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Member
 
yangh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis View Post
Bear in mind that room design is a give and take process. My brother in law (whom I addicted to this expensive drug…HT) designed his room for the ultimate contrast. He has an LCOS projector, dark walls and floors, black ceiling, and even a gray screen. There is no doubt he has better blacks that I have, but he is unhappy with the design. The room is a dungeon and is unsuitable for much other than watching a movie. He likes to entertain but cannot use one of the showpieces of his house since no one really wants to socialize in the dark. He made very legitimate design decisions but maybe did not consider all of the ramifications.
So true. I have my projector in the basement but just couldn't start painting the room dark. I want it also be a social space not just 100% on HT. It'll be nice to have sth adjustable. When you seriously watch movie you dark the ceiling and walls, while entertaining the friends and guest you can keep it kind of bright. Don't know how to make that happen yet.

I may just paint the front half of ceiling matte gray as a compromise. Right it's all white and really murders the contrast on screen.

Last edited by yangh; 07-05-2017 at 03:45 PM.
yangh is offline  
post #201 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post
I am in Houston so you'd have to drive a couple hours.

Did you get a 60 or a 65?


Longhorn, thanks for offer. I am in Austin but avail sun or mon. Let me know your schedule via pm. Ordered the 65 and should get mid July. Def worth the trip.

Ian B
Yeah dude, I will have to driver over to your place to check the 65, lol...

once I have it set up we can PM each other.
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #202 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TheBrandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,573
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
Yeah dude, I will have to driver over to your place to check the 65, lol...

once I have it set up we can PM each other.
You two should do a shootout between the 60/65 when you both have them.
davedude and Number05 like this.
TheBrandon is offline  
post #203 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 05:23 PM
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,901
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
s that if you are in a room dealing with some ambient light or perhaps don't have dark walls, ceiling, floors, etc you will lose that contrast advantage and some of these discussions around native contrast become mute.
Good post, I agree, I'm going to paint my theater room soon to get some benefits with my current projector right away. And, minor quibble. It's moot, not mute. Totally different words with different meanings entirely.
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
post #204 of 3435 Old 07-05-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,849
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post
You two should do a shootout between the 60/65 when you both have them.
Someone needs to buy the UHZ65 too and bring it over for the ultimate Optoma 4k shootout lol.


see what 1 million vs 1.2 billion vs 1.5 trillion contrast looks like, or whatever the optoma spec sheet says
TheBrandon likes this.
Ruined is offline  
post #205 of 3435 Old 07-06-2017, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I want to upgrade from 135 to 150 screen! I will watch some uhd videos and movies when i can stop marveling at the 4k/60 games! Lol
am2model3 is offline  
post #206 of 3435 Old 07-06-2017, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Troy LaMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 283

Interesting

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
Troy LaMont is offline  
post #207 of 3435 Old 07-06-2017, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quick summary of the UHD550X video review
  • very silent, hard to hear and not unpleasant fan noise at 25dB
  • HDMI 2 input recommended for UHD sources
  • three lamp modes (all Optoma UHD models): dynamic black (lamp longevity estimated 15,000 hours), eco (10,000) and bright (4,000)
  • input lag 33ms
  • "out of the box" too spectacular, requires calibration
  • great colors, authentic skin tones, bright with a Punch (DLP typical I would add)
  • two thumbs up for HDR performance (50/60Hz)
  • black level performance illustrated at 14:00 (doesn't say which lamp mode, I'd assume bright) followed by a comparison with the Epson TW7300
nowknown and Troy LaMont like this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Frank714 is offline  
post #208 of 3435 Old 07-06-2017, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,264
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Quick summary of the UHD550X video review
  • very silent, hard to hear and not unpleasant fan noise at 25dB
  • HDMI 2 input recommended for UHD sources
  • three lamp modes (all Optoma UHD models): dynamic black (lamp longevity estimated 15,000 hours), eco (10,000) and bright (4,000)
  • input lag 33ms
  • "out of the box" too spectacular, requires calibration
  • great colors, authentic skin tones, bright with a Punch (DLP typical I would add)
  • two thumbs up for HDR performance (50/60Hz)
  • black level performance illustrated at 14:00 (doesn't say which lamp mode, I'd assume bright) followed by a comparison with the Epson TW7300
Thanks for providing the highlights. So around the 14:09 Mark or thereabouts, the Stars scene becomes even better. I guess at 14:00 even it still kind of bright in the background but around 14:13 seconds later that's probably a switch to Dynamic black?

-T
T-Bone is offline  
post #209 of 3435 Old 07-06-2017, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Thanks for providing the highlights. So around the 14:09 Mark or thereabouts, the Stars scene becomes even better. I guess at 14:00 even it still kind of bright in the background but around 14:13 seconds later that's probably a switch to Dynamic black?

No, that's the switch from the UHD550X to the Epson TW7300...

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Frank714 is offline  
post #210 of 3435 Old 07-06-2017, 05:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Paganmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 67
ok, a bit Off-topic, but I really don't get why, specially for very new products without any other real reviews, these YouTube channels don't make these videos in English. I mean, is the userbase really big enough in Germany, for these projectors, to warrant a Germanspeaking only video? They'd get so many more views if they'd do them in English, or hell, just add subs.
Saw the same thing happen during the GTX 1080 launch, and I just am left scratching my head.

Disclaimer: This isn't a "all channels should cater to Americans" type post, as I am Swedish myself.
Paganmoon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off