Originally Posted by KenWH
First, I tried searching this thread but didn't really find anything like what I'm dealing with, sorry if I just missed it in my searching.
I'm trying to help my brother get his UHD65 up and running and his return window is closing soon so time is kinda short. He's using a Sony UBP-x800 uhd player for his source(firmware's up to date). We are going directly from player to pj.
-When using hdmi 1 on the UHD65, we can get the x800 to display it's home menu at 4k res and play movies at 4k res but it will not play movies in hdr...the player "info" shows it is converting to 4k sdr and the UHD65 confirms it as sdr(no hdr notice upper right). The x800 doesn't have a way to "lock" hdr on...it has auto and off as it's HDR options.
-When using hdmi 2 on the UHD65, we can not get the home menu on the x800 at 4k res (no matter what 4k setting we try to lock into it) but the movie will play in 4k hdr perfectly
as long as you bypass the players home menu. If we try to go to the home menu on the x800 it just says no source found with a black screen. The only way to get the x800 menu on UHD65 input 2 is to lock the X800 down to 1080p.
Again we've tried locking the x800 into 4:2:2 ,4:4:4, and using auto settings etc and nothing seems to work to get either input on the UHD65 to fully work with the x800.
We tried a few different cables including the often recommended heavy gauge monoprice cables. Seems if it were cables, we would not get 4k hdr at all.
I brought over a spare Sammy 8500k uhd player and it seems to work fine with his UHD65 and cables. I tried his Sony x800 on my JVC rs500 and it works fine with my pj so I'm at a loss as to whats going on.
The sony and the uhd65 just aren't getting along for some reason
Any help/ideas would be great.
I'm using that same combo with great success - Optoma UHD65 and Sony UBP-X800.
Couple things .
1) why would you even bother trying to use the HDMI 1 input ?
The manual for the UHD65 clearly states :
(*)Only HDMI 2 (HDCP2.2) connector supports 4K (Ultra HD) at 60Hz refresh rate
You should use HDMI 2 only.
2) your issue is pretty strange . I have never gotten a black screen from my UBP-X800 on this projector, ever, no matter what settings I tried, and I have tried many. Have you done a factory reset of the UBP-X800 just to check what happens ?
See this album that shows all the video settings I'm using on the X800 in screenshots.
- The UBP-X800 device menu comes up in 2160p at 60 Hz.
- my receiver (SR 7011) shows that the signal type for the device menu is 4K:60Hz, YCbCr4:2:2
- once I insert a 4K HDR and display the disc menu, disc (Arrival), the projector switches to 3840x2160 24 Hz
- separate screenshot shows the HDR in the top right corner for the disc menu
- my receiver (SR 7011) shows that the signal type for the disc menu is 4K:24 Hz, BT.2020 YCbCr, 12 bits
My Sony UBP-X800 is also on the latest firmware.
I'm using a 40 ft Monoprice HOSS cable between my receiver (Marantz SR7011) and the projector. And 6ft monoprice cable (can't remember which type) between the UBP-X800 and receiver.
Hope this helps figure out what's wrong on your setup. From the symptoms described, I couldn't really say if it's a problem with your cable, projector or player. You may have to switch them one at a time to try.