Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4525Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #2251 of 3435 Old 01-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Member
 
mighty5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I have followed this thread since Day 1 but don't recall this being discussed before. Can you point to the post(s)?
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...k%20HK2288.htm



Look under lamp mode on this article. Hope it helps. They had this issue with their test model and I notice it on mine as well. It's very hard to notice but it does appear at times.

Last edited by mighty5; 01-25-2018 at 05:16 PM.
mighty5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2252 of 3435 Old 01-26-2018, 12:35 PM
Newbie
 
Ravnoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Two weeks ago I bought an UHD60 as an upgrade from my BenQ W1070. So far I am quite unimpressed, and apart from the increased resolution it seems to be two steps back in terms of quality. Colors, Black Levels, Contrast, it all is somewhat underwhelming compared to the W1070.

I hope it is just my inability to properly calibrate the projector that is causing this. The few shared settings in this thread for the UHD60 have not really worked for me. Trying to get an ISF calibration guy over in the next weeks as a last resort; but if anyone in here has some settings they are willing to share that work well.... Always looking for some other settings to try.
Ravnoss is offline  
post #2253 of 3435 Old 01-26-2018, 01:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnoss View Post
Two weeks ago I bought an UHD60 as an upgrade from my BenQ W1070. So far I am quite unimpressed, and apart from the increased resolution it seems to be two steps back in terms of quality. Colors, Black Levels, Contrast, it all is somewhat underwhelming compared to the W1070.

I hope it is just my inability to properly calibrate the projector that is causing this. The few shared settings in this thread for the UHD60 have not really worked for me. Trying to get an ISF calibration guy over in the next weeks as a last resort; but if anyone in here has some settings they are willing to share that work well.... Always looking for some other settings to try.
What is the cheapest method for me to get it 80+% calibrated accurately? Tight budget, so I really just want to get bang for my buck here.
master02 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2254 of 3435 Old 01-27-2018, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In response to the last two posts regarding calibration, there have been a bunch of settings shared that should get you through most of the menus for Rec 709 and to some extent Rec 2020. You should be able to calibrate your contrast on your own. You will need professional software and hardware to calibrate your CMS though...


Here are a few settings that I have found work well for Rec 709:

Reference
Contrast = -12
Sharpness = 5
Dynamic Range = Auto/Standard
Brilliant Color = 0
Color Gamut = HDTV
PureEngine = off
Dynamic Black = off
Gamma = 2.4
Twelton43 is online now  
post #2255 of 3435 Old 01-27-2018, 09:16 AM
Member
 
JDthird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sturtevant, WI, US
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone else underwhelmed with that crappy cheap "door" on top to access the physical controls? Mine won't even shut right and be flush when it's sitting on its feet. I haven't even mounted mine upside down yet to get up in the air on my mount, and I'm wondering if it'll even stay shut. And since it won't shut smoothly and flat, it will really look like crap from underneath where you'll see it hanging there.

I wonder what idiotic engineer thought this particular design was a good idea...

On the plus side, even just playing a couple videos last night on my newly unboxed UHD60 via my 4k laptop, I was very pleased with the picture compared to my Viewsonic PRO8530HDL...

I can't wait till the newer HDMI is ran to the location and I have my new mount arm fabricated (needed a longer one to mount this in a different spot that can be centered on the screen, since the old mount location was offset since the Viewsonic had keystoning). I'm hoping that by tonight I have everything finished and mounted for a real drive with some 4k gaming and 4k UHD blu rays as well from my Xbox One X...
JDthird is offline  
post #2256 of 3435 Old 01-27-2018, 09:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDthird View Post
Anyone else underwhelmed with that crappy cheap "door" on top to access the physical controls? Mine won't even shut right and be flush when it's sitting on its feet. I haven't even mounted mine upside down yet to get up in the air on my mount, and I'm wondering if it'll even stay shut. And since it won't shut smoothly and flat, it will really look like crap from underneath where you'll see it hanging there.
Yep. The little access door sucks.
davejitsu is offline  
post #2257 of 3435 Old 01-27-2018, 09:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Brutal design for that access door... every time I open and shut it I have to readjust the projector on the screen... annoying!

However, I continue to be blown away by the picture quality of my UHD65. I’m at just over 100 hours now and the bulb has calmed down a bit. To my eye, the picture quality actually improved.
Twelton43 is online now  
post #2258 of 3435 Old 01-27-2018, 10:53 PM
Member
 
bamaaviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnoss View Post
Two weeks ago I bought an UHD60 as an upgrade from my BenQ W1070. So far I am quite unimpressed, and apart from the increased resolution it seems to be two steps back in terms of quality. Colors, Black Levels, Contrast, it all is somewhat underwhelming compared to the W1070.

I hope it is just my inability to properly calibrate the projector that is causing this. The few shared settings in this thread for the UHD60 have not really worked for me. Trying to get an ISF calibration guy over in the next weeks as a last resort; but if anyone in here has some settings they are willing to share that work well.... Always looking for some other settings to try.
I am right here with you. I have only owned 2 projectors previously to this one. I had a Panasonic AX-200u and a Benq 1070. Both of those projectors were awesome. I was so excited to get the UHD60, and it is worse than my Benq 1070 in every way. The color , contrast, black levels, ...everything...is completely underwhelming. First projector I have ever bought that I am disappointed with. 4k projector.....my $350 TCL tv from Target blows this thing away. Very disappointed in this purchase.
bamaaviator is offline  
post #2259 of 3435 Old 01-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Member
 
bamaaviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just submitted refund from amazon. I dont know if I got a defective unit or what, but this is the worst home theater purchase Ive ever made. Projector cant even stay synced to a movie. Bought 4k player and Batman Trilogy, no less than 3-4x did the video just drop out and have a blank screen for anywhere from 3-4 minutes before shutting down the system and restarting it. Audio never cut out, no issues there.

I got a lemon
bamaaviator is offline  
post #2260 of 3435 Old 01-28-2018, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Try another uhd60. I absolutely love mine 4k party every night. 16x9. 135inch
am2model3 is offline  
post #2261 of 3435 Old 01-28-2018, 10:10 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaaviator View Post
Just submitted refund from amazon. I dont know if I got a defective unit or what, but this is the worst home theater purchase Ive ever made. Projector cant even stay synced to a movie. Bought 4k player and Batman Trilogy, no less than 3-4x did the video just drop out and have a blank screen for anywhere from 3-4 minutes before shutting down the system and restarting it. Audio never cut out, no issues there.



I got a lemon

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like it could be the HDMI cable bandwidth or AV receiver if it goes through one. Have you done any troubleshooting of these?
Dave Harper is offline  
post #2262 of 3435 Old 01-28-2018, 10:44 PM
Member
 
bamaaviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like it could be the HDMI cable bandwidth or AV receiver if it goes through one. Have you done any troubleshooting of these?
I am not trying to be cynical, but just how many different cables should I need to try? I have 3 different "4k" cables...from the cheap generic monoprice cables, to the active cables, to the fiber optic cable. All seem to have the same issue.

2 of the cheap monoprice ones have gone bad. Noticed that when I fixed one issue just replacing the cable.

I have tried to google "have audio but no video" for my Denon 4300 reciever, but found nothing.


2 of these have failed in less than 4 days of use...

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

This is the cable that keeps losing video signal to the projector, but audio stays running.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12961

These are the ones that I am currently using and seem to be ok, but not sure for how long given the other issues.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13592

Last edited by bamaaviator; 01-28-2018 at 10:49 PM.
bamaaviator is offline  
post #2263 of 3435 Old 01-28-2018, 11:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaaviator View Post
I am right here with you. I have only owned 2 projectors previously to this one. I had a Panasonic AX-200u and a Benq 1070. Both of those projectors were awesome. I was so excited to get the UHD60, and it is worse than my Benq 1070 in every way. The color , contrast, black levels, ...everything...is completely underwhelming. First projector I have ever bought that I am disappointed with. 4k projector.....my $350 TCL tv from Target blows this thing away. Very disappointed in this purchase.
Sorry to hear about your experience. The UHD65 might a better fit for you if you are looking for a home theater projector. Better color, blacks and contrast. Overall, black levels are still so-so, but after calibration I have been blown away by the picture quality. Stunning to my eye. It required full ISF calibration (rec 709 thus far) to get it to this point though. An extra expense for sure.

Have you spent any time working on the contrast? This made the biggest difference for me.
Twelton43 is online now  
post #2264 of 3435 Old 01-29-2018, 01:51 AM
Senior Member
 
vagos1103gr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Can you share your calibration?
vagos1103gr1 is offline  
post #2265 of 3435 Old 01-29-2018, 05:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaaviator View Post
Just submitted refund from amazon. I dont know if I got a defective unit or what, but this is the worst home theater purchase Ive ever made. Projector cant even stay synced to a movie. Bought 4k player and Batman Trilogy, no less than 3-4x did the video just drop out and have a blank screen for anywhere from 3-4 minutes before shutting down the system and restarting it. Audio never cut out, no issues there.

I got a lemon
How long is your cable run?
I had to replace my 3' "4k" cable from the PS4 Pro to the AVR and I went through FIVE different HDMI cables at 25' to get a full signal.
I was also getting no picture but did have sound. It was the cable. This projector in 4K looks amazing. Email Optoma support too. They are really helpful and can give you the RMA # if you ended up getting a bad one.
btmille is offline  
post #2266 of 3435 Old 01-29-2018, 05:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaaviator View Post
I am not trying to be cynical, but just how many different cables should I need to try? I have 3 different "4k" cables...from the cheap generic monoprice cables, to the active cables, to the fiber optic cable. All seem to have the same issue.

2 of the cheap monoprice ones have gone bad. Noticed that when I fixed one issue just replacing the cable.

I have tried to google "have audio but no video" for my Denon 4300 reciever, but found nothing.


2 of these have failed in less than 4 days of use...

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

This is the cable that keeps losing video signal to the projector, but audio stays running.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12961

These are the ones that I am currently using and seem to be ok, but not sure for how long given the other issues.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13592
As I said, I had the same problems you are having. When I emailed Optoma, they sent me a pdf of some tips. Maybe this will help you:

I received an FAQ PDF back from Optoma Tech support.

In that, they showed how to Reset the HDMI 2.2 port. Here is how to do that:

1. Please turn off and unplug your projector. While the projector is unplug hold down the menu button on the unit.
2. While continuing to hold down the menu button, reconnect the power plug to the projector
You should see the power LED flashing between red and blue
3. Once the Power LED switch to a flashing blue LED only. IMMEDIATELY let go of the menu button and wait unit you see the power LED flash purple. Once it is purple IMMEDIATELY press the menu button once.
4.After you press the menu once the power LED should flash purple and the TEMP / LAMP LED should flash red together.
Let the projector go though and reset the HDCP back to HDCP 2.2. Once completed the LED will flash blue then red, which means you are done and HDCP 2.2 is active
btmille is offline  
post #2267 of 3435 Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 AM
Member
 
bamaaviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Performed the reset per btmille post and tried the settings of twelton43. This just isnt going to work. Did all settings and in a light controlled room, and I may as well be sitting in my room with a dark pair of sunglasses on with those settings, everything is completely dull.

I wouldnt even know where to start looking for someone to calibrate it for me. At this point I just want to find out what the problem is. There is no way possible that this projector is this bad, so I am pretty sure it could be an error on a setting side somewhere, but can not find it at all.

Live in the Hendersonville, TN area if anyone knows of a calibrator in the area. Also, how much do those cost? I am in a simple apartment, so dont need some sort of hard core genius out here, my set up is simple.

Edit...

Forget it. So upset over this purchase I just boxed it up and will send it back today. Frustration doesnt begin to describe this purchase. A year worth of excitement down the drain in less than a few hours.

Last edited by bamaaviator; 01-29-2018 at 10:09 AM.
bamaaviator is offline  
post #2268 of 3435 Old 01-29-2018, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
KenWH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Medina,TN
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Odd sync behavior with Sony X800 UHD player

Hey guys,
First, I tried searching this thread but didn't really find anything like what I'm dealing with, sorry if I just missed it in my searching.

I'm trying to help my brother get his UHD65 up and running and his return window is closing soon so time is kinda short. He's using a Sony UBP-x800 uhd player for his source(firmware's up to date). We are going directly from player to pj.

The issue(s):
-When using hdmi 1 on the UHD65, we can get the x800 to display it's home menu at 4k res and play movies at 4k res but it will not play movies in hdr...the player "info" shows it is converting to 4k sdr and the UHD65 confirms it as sdr(no hdr notice upper right). The x800 doesn't have a way to "lock" hdr on...it has auto and off as it's HDR options.

-When using hdmi 2 on the UHD65, we can not get the home menu on the x800 at 4k res (no matter what 4k setting we try to lock into it) but the movie will play in 4k hdr perfectly as long as you bypass the players home menu. If we try to go to the home menu on the x800 it just says no source found with a black screen. The only way to get the x800 menu on UHD65 input 2 is to lock the X800 down to 1080p.

Again we've tried locking the x800 into 4:2:2 ,4:4:4, and using auto settings etc and nothing seems to work to get either input on the UHD65 to fully work with the x800.

We tried a few different cables including the often recommended heavy gauge monoprice cables. Seems if it were cables, we would not get 4k hdr at all.

I brought over a spare Sammy 8500k uhd player and it seems to work fine with his UHD65 and cables. I tried his Sony x800 on my JVC rs500 and it works fine with my pj so I'm at a loss as to whats going on.

The sony and the uhd65 just aren't getting along for some reason

Any help/ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by KenWH; 01-29-2018 at 09:24 AM.
KenWH is offline  
post #2269 of 3435 Old 01-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
madbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post
Hey guys,
First, I tried searching this thread but didn't really find anything like what I'm dealing with, sorry if I just missed it in my searching.

I'm trying to help my brother get his UHD65 up and running and his return window is closing soon so time is kinda short. He's using a Sony UBP-x800 uhd player for his source(firmware's up to date). We are going directly from player to pj.

The issue(s):
-When using hdmi 1 on the UHD65, we can get the x800 to display it's home menu at 4k res and play movies at 4k res but it will not play movies in hdr...the player "info" shows it is converting to 4k sdr and the UHD65 confirms it as sdr(no hdr notice upper right). The x800 doesn't have a way to "lock" hdr on...it has auto and off as it's HDR options.

-When using hdmi 2 on the UHD65, we can not get the home menu on the x800 at 4k res (no matter what 4k setting we try to lock into it) but the movie will play in 4k hdr perfectly as long as you bypass the players home menu. If we try to go to the home menu on the x800 it just says no source found with a black screen. The only way to get the x800 menu on UHD65 input 2 is to lock the X800 down to 1080p.

Again we've tried locking the x800 into 4:2:2 ,4:4:4, and using auto settings etc and nothing seems to work to get either input on the UHD65 to fully work with the x800.

We tried a few different cables including the often recommended heavy gauge monoprice cables. Seems if it were cables, we would not get 4k hdr at all.

I brought over a spare Sammy 8500k uhd player and it seems to work fine with his UHD65 and cables. I tried his Sony x800 on my JVC rs500 and it works fine with my pj so I'm at a loss as to whats going on.

The sony and the uhd65 just aren't getting along for some reason

Any help/ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Ken
I'm using that same combo with great success - Optoma UHD65 and Sony UBP-X800.

Couple things .

1) why would you even bother trying to use the HDMI 1 input ?
The manual for the UHD65 clearly states :
(*)Only HDMI 2 (HDCP2.2) connector supports 4K (Ultra HD) at 60Hz refresh rate
https://www.optomausa.com/uploads/ma...65-M-en-US.pdf

You should use HDMI 2 only.

2) your issue is pretty strange . I have never gotten a black screen from my UBP-X800 on this projector, ever, no matter what settings I tried, and I have tried many. Have you done a factory reset of the UBP-X800 just to check what happens ?

See this album that shows all the video settings I'm using on the X800 in screenshots.
https://imgur.com/a/d8rMi

- The UBP-X800 device menu comes up in 2160p at 60 Hz.
- my receiver (SR 7011) shows that the signal type for the device menu is 4K:60Hz, YCbCr4:2:2
- once I insert a 4K HDR and display the disc menu, disc (Arrival), the projector switches to 3840x2160 24 Hz
- separate screenshot shows the HDR in the top right corner for the disc menu
- my receiver (SR 7011) shows that the signal type for the disc menu is 4K:24 Hz, BT.2020 YCbCr, 12 bits

My Sony UBP-X800 is also on the latest firmware.

I'm using a 40 ft Monoprice HOSS cable between my receiver (Marantz SR7011) and the projector. And 6ft monoprice cable (can't remember which type) between the UBP-X800 and receiver.

Hope this helps figure out what's wrong on your setup. From the symptoms described, I couldn't really say if it's a problem with your cable, projector or player. You may have to switch them one at a time to try.
madbrain is offline  
post #2270 of 3435 Old 01-29-2018, 05:15 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaaviator View Post
I am not trying to be cynical, but just how many different cables should I need to try? I have 3 different "4k" cables...from the cheap generic monoprice cables, to the active cables, to the fiber optic cable. All seem to have the same issue.



2 of the cheap monoprice ones have gone bad. Noticed that when I fixed one issue just replacing the cable.



I have tried to google "have audio but no video" for my Denon 4300 reciever, but found nothing.





2 of these have failed in less than 4 days of use...



https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427



This is the cable that keeps losing video signal to the projector, but audio stays running.



https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12961



These are the ones that I am currently using and seem to be ok, but not sure for how long given the other issues.



https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13592

Which one is the fiber one you mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaaviator View Post
Performed the reset per btmille post and tried the settings of twelton43. This just isnt going to work. Did all settings and in a light controlled room, and I may as well be sitting in my room with a dark pair of sunglasses on with those settings, everything is completely dull.



I wouldnt even know where to start looking for someone to calibrate it for me. At this point I just want to find out what the problem is. There is no way possible that this projector is this bad, so I am pretty sure it could be an error on a setting side somewhere, but can not find it at all.



Live in the Hendersonville, TN area if anyone knows of a calibrator in the area. Also, how much do those cost? I am in a simple apartment, so dont need some sort of hard core genius out here, my set up is simple.



Edit...



Forget it. So upset over this purchase I just boxed it up and will send it back today. Frustration doesnt begin to describe this purchase. A year worth of excitement down the drain in less than a few hours.

I believe there is also an HDMI Equalizer setting in the Optomas. It's designed to alter the signal strength for different runs of cables, lengths, etc. have you tried that?



I can do the calibration for you for a reasonable cost if you're willing to ship it here and back? I've had great success with calibrating the UHZ65.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #2271 of 3435 Old 01-29-2018, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
KenWH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Medina,TN
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
Hi,



I'm using that same combo with great success - Optoma UHD65 and Sony UBP-X800.

Couple things .

1) why would you even bother trying to use the HDMI 1 input ?
The manual for the UHD65 clearly states :
(*)Only HDMI 2 (HDCP2.2) connector supports 4K (Ultra HD) at 60Hz refresh rate
https://www.optomausa.com/uploads/ma...65-M-en-US.pdf

You should use HDMI 2 only.

2) your issue is pretty strange . I have never gotten a black screen from my UBP-X800 on this projector, ever, no matter what settings I tried, and I have tried many. Have you done a factory reset of the UBP-X800 just to check what happens ?

See this album that shows all the video settings I'm using on the X800 in screenshots.
https://imgur.com/a/d8rMi

- The UBP-X800 device menu comes up in 2160p at 60 Hz.
- my receiver (SR 7011) shows that the signal type for the device menu is 4K:60Hz, YCbCr4:2:2
- once I insert a 4K HDR and display the disc menu, disc (Arrival), the projector switches to 3840x2160 24 Hz
- separate screenshot shows the HDR in the top right corner for the disc menu
- my receiver (SR 7011) shows that the signal type for the disc menu is 4K:24 Hz, BT.2020 YCbCr, 12 bits

My Sony UBP-X800 is also on the latest firmware.

I'm using a 40 ft Monoprice HOSS cable between my receiver (Marantz SR7011) and the projector. And 6ft monoprice cable (can't remember which type) between the UBP-X800 and receiver.

Hope this helps figure out what's wrong on your setup. From the symptoms described, I couldn't really say if it's a problem with your cable, projector or player. You may have to switch them one at a time to try.
Thanks for the reply. I'm starting to lean toward a cable issue but I'll have him try resetting the X800. His best cable that we tried was a 30' 24ga. Monoprice cable and monoprice says it's 4k24hz rated.
He had a couple other shorter hdmi cables of unknown origin and they didn't work any better.

Which is more demanding of a cable...4k:60hz sdr or 4k:24hz hdr? Maybe the cable can't quite pull off the 60hz signal?.?.
When we connected the X800 to input 1 on the UHD65, the X800 diplayed the signal as 4k sdr @30Hz and the x800 menu worked fine so I believe it may very well be the cable and the 4k60hz menu.

Oh and the Sammy 8500k player worked as I believe it's menu is 4k30hz.
KenWH is offline  
post #2272 of 3435 Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
madbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm starting to lean toward a cable issue but I'll have him try resetting the X800. His best cable that we tried was a 30' 24ga. Monoprice cable and monoprice says it's 4k24hz rated.
He had a couple other shorter hdmi cables of unknown origin and they didn't work any better.

Which is more demanding of a cable...4k:60hz sdr or 4k:24hz hdr? Maybe the cable can't quite pull off the 60hz signal?.?.
When we connected the X800 to input 1 on the UHD65, the X800 diplayed the signal as 4k sdr @30Hz and the x800 menu worked fine so I believe it may very well be the cable and the 4k60hz menu.

Oh and the Sammy 8500k player worked as I believe it's menu is 4k30hz.
4K 60 Hz SDR is higher bandwidth than 4K 24 Hz HDR. So, it sounds like a cable issue.
Try the Monoprice HOSS active cable - it's not too expensive and it may work. I had to try 2 to get a working one, though. Was seeing dropouts with the first unit I got.
madbrain is offline  
post #2273 of 3435 Old 01-29-2018, 05:40 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm starting to lean toward a cable issue but I'll have him try resetting the X800. His best cable that we tried was a 30' 24ga. Monoprice cable and monoprice says it's 4k24hz rated.

He had a couple other shorter hdmi cables of unknown origin and they didn't work any better.



Which is more demanding of a cable...4k:60hz sdr or 4k:24hz hdr? Maybe the cable can't quite pull off the 60hz signal?.?.

When we connected the X800 to input 1 on the UHD65, the X800 diplayed the signal as 4k sdr @30Hz and the x800 menu worked fine so I believe it may very well be the cable and the 4k60hz menu.



Oh and the Sammy 8500k player worked as I believe it's menu is 4k30hz.

Here is a chart to see what the demands on HDMI are:



HDMI 1 is only HDMI 1.4 spec'd input so it can do limited 4K only, per the chart above. Use HDMI 2 input as suggested.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #2274 of 3435 Old 01-29-2018, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,866
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaaviator View Post
Performed the reset per btmille post and tried the settings of twelton43. This just isnt going to work. Did all settings and in a light controlled room, and I may as well be sitting in my room with a dark pair of sunglasses on with those settings, everything is completely dull.

I wouldnt even know where to start looking for someone to calibrate it for me. At this point I just want to find out what the problem is. There is no way possible that this projector is this bad, so I am pretty sure it could be an error on a setting side somewhere, but can not find it at all.

Live in the Hendersonville, TN area if anyone knows of a calibrator in the area. Also, how much do those cost? I am in a simple apartment, so dont need some sort of hard core genius out here, my set up is simple.

Edit...

Forget it. So upset over this purchase I just boxed it up and will send it back today. Frustration doesnt begin to describe this purchase. A year worth of excitement down the drain in less than a few hours.
Hate to be cynical but probably user error.

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #2275 of 3435 Old 01-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
KenWH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Medina,TN
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
4K 60 Hz SDR is higher bandwidth than 4K 24 Hz HDR. So, it sounds like a cable issue.
Try the Monoprice HOSS active cable - it's not too expensive and it may work. I had to try 2 to get a working one, though. Was seeing dropouts with the first unit I got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Here is a chart to see what the demands on HDMI are:



HDMI 1 is only HDMI 1.4 spec'd input so it can do limited 4K only, per the chart above. Use HDMI 2 input as suggested.
Thanks guys!!

He just ordered a 30' HOSS cable from monoprice.
Dave Harper likes this.
KenWH is offline  
post #2276 of 3435 Old 01-30-2018, 06:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Hate to be cynical but probably user error.
I agree. It's not the projector. He's trying to make a long HDMI run and it won't work. For all the people having issues with the picture dropping and thinking it's the projector......it is NOT. Everyone has been told by now that an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable. Hell, I read an article from CNET that says that if the cable is bringing you a picture than it won't be any different of a picture than a high priced cable. Well, with new 4K bandwidth issues and long cable runs.....the HDMI cable makes a HUGE difference. Handshake issues and complicated menu settings are going to make this change very difficult for the average person.
btmille is offline  
post #2277 of 3435 Old 01-30-2018, 06:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post
Thanks guys!!

He just ordered a 30' HOSS cable from monoprice.
Make sure the cable from Source to AVR can handle it too.
btmille is offline  
post #2278 of 3435 Old 01-30-2018, 07:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by btmille View Post
Make sure the cable from Source to AVR can handle it too.
Has anyone tried a HDBaseT extender like the one here? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...waAoMsEALw_wcB
master02 is offline  
post #2279 of 3435 Old 01-30-2018, 10:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Hate to be cynical but probably user error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btmille View Post
I agree. It's not the projector. He's trying to make a long HDMI run and it won't work. For all the people having issues with the picture dropping and thinking it's the projector......it is NOT. Everyone has been told by now that an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable. Hell, I read an article from CNET that says that if the cable is bringing you a picture than it won't be any different of a picture than a high priced cable. Well, with new 4K bandwidth issues and long cable runs.....the HDMI cable makes a HUGE difference. Handshake issues and complicated menu settings are going to make this change very difficult for the average person.
Yep. He already left a terrible review of the projector on Amazon, too. I just scrolled through a few of the bad reviews and it's hilarious how many self-proclaimed "professional installers" are writing bad reviews for things which are either very plainly detailed within the specifications or can be remedied with a little research.
btmille likes this.
davejitsu is offline  
post #2280 of 3435 Old 01-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Member
 
mighty5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have all the rec709 content dialed in pretty well but when it switches to HDR content my colors are all over the place. Anyone have settings for HDR (UHD60)?
mighty5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off