Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4521Likes

post #2701 of 3415 Old 05-31-2018, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by (CinemaScope) View Post
May you please describe in your review why the UB900 has a significant difference over the Sony UBP-X800 ?
Kind of funny, but I remember Panasonic being the best 3D Blu-Ray player you could buy for the money. I used it throughout most of the 3D/Blu-Ray generation.
The only thing I can remember is it was just dimmer. I thought it was the projector as this is my first experience with projector. When I switched to the Xbox one x, it was the same. This only reinforced my initial thoughts. I was actually looking into a higher gain screen when I picked up the Panny. The resolution wasn't the problem, it's the brightness and hence the colors were severely hindered.

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 3415 Old 05-31-2018, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttn333 View Post
The only thing I can remember is it was just dimmer. I thought it was the projector as this is my first experience with projector. When I switched to the Xbox one x, it was the same. This only reinforced my initial thoughts. I was actually looking into a higher gain screen when I picked up the Panny. The resolution wasn't the problem, it's the brightness and hence the colors were severely hindered.
I've been running some tests with the HDR mode enabled and disabled on the Sony Player.
A few things I noticed.

1. Leave all video settings on Auto, except for Resolution, I set that to 4K. If you choose a color gamma like 4:4:4, you will see a slightly darker image. Combine this with HDR, and it looks like crap. It's extra dark. Makes you not even want to enable HDR at all. Kills the effect completely.

2. Disable HDR, and allow the UHD60/65 do the HDR. This is extremely huge. The difference it makes is crazy. Colors pop, brightness and contrast is there. But, I feel like some bright areas of movies look too bright, to the point where some details get washed out.
I have tested all HDR modes with this, and couldn't find one that I feel confident using throughout all my movies. Some scenes look great, some look just ok, and some make you want to turn HDR off. I'm still testing with this, along with adjusting some modes in the projector.

3. If you set HDR on the Sony player to Auto, and adjust your contrast all the way up to +40ish range, the brightness for HDR content looks decent. But why would anyone want to set their contrast that high?

I think the problem sits with the player. All my 1080P content looks bright and colors pop. If you turn HDR off on the player and projector, the UHD movies look bland, and have no color pop to them. I'm sure some of these things can be adjusted, but should you have to?
Overall, the Sony player is just not a good idea for HDR content out of the box. It seems like you need to keep adjusting things and resorting to reference disks like Disney WOW or AVS Rec709 to get ideas on what to calibrate when HDR in enabled with the player.

I'm still giving the Sony a few more tries. Ideally I would like to leave the HDR mode on Auto. Choosing SDR to HDR on the UHD60/65 feels un-natural.
post #2703 of 3415 Old 05-31-2018, 09:06 PM

Upon further testing, I realize, I will need to use the SDR to HDR option when playing 4K discs. it's the only way HDR will look nice enough to watch.
I've tried adjusting brightness/contrast with various youtube videos and some calibration discs I have. Nothing helps when HDR is enabled on the Sony player. All content just looks too dark to actually enjoy the movie. The colors are where I want them to be, but it's just too dark.
I picked up the patriot 4K UHD. I tested between the 4K version and Blu-Ray version. It's comical to see the Blu-Ray version beat the 4K when it comes to brightness and color pop. Seriously something wrong with the UBP-X800.

I will try a player or two from best buy to hold me over until I see some better players come out. I cannot justify $500 for the Panny right now.

Also waiting for a 4K calibration disc. Nobody makes one yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2704 of 3415 Old 06-01-2018, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am sorry if this was answered before, I tired to search with no answer.
I have UHD60 and I need to know the perfect projector distance to the screen (120 inch screen), is it better to position the protector close and use zoom-out, or put it far and zoom-in?
does zoom effects pictures quality and brightness?
post #2705 of 3415 Old 06-01-2018, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know how to set up IP control for the UHD 60/65 from an iPhone/Ipad app? I know they can be controlled from a computer via IP, but I'm looking for an app, such as SimpleControl or iRule, that can do this.
post #2706 of 3415 Old 06-01-2018, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Just placed my order for a Optoma UHD65. Should be here on Tuesday! Sadly my basement is still only just framed. No walls or anything. I’ll probably run out and grab a drop cloth and hang it up just to check it out till I get walls up and build the screen. Mostly wanted to make sure it’s in the right spot on the ceiling so I can nail in reinforcement where the mount will go and also to place the electrical box and wire pass through box close to the projector location. So excited! Need to get a 4K player too. Leaning towards the LG UBK90.
post #2707 of 3415 Old 06-02-2018, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Contrast

I’ve been playing with the settings watching hdr content and found that raising the contrast really helps brighten the dim picture. I have a 1.1 gain screen and I currently have contrast set at 20. I still have plenty of detail in dark and light scenes. For those of you experiencing dark picture, give it a shot.
(CinemaScope) and am2model3 like this.
post #2708 of 3415 Old 06-02-2018, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttn333 View Post
Quote:
I've been running some tests with the HDR mode enabled and disabled on the Sony Player.

A few things I noticed.

1. Leave all video settings on Auto, except for Resolution, I set that to 4K. If you choose a color gamma like 4:4:4, you will see a slightly darker image. Combine this with HDR, and it looks like crap. It's extra dark. Makes you not even want to enable HDR at all. Kills the effect completely.

2. Disable HDR, and allow the UHD60/65 do the HDR. This is extremely huge. The difference it makes is crazy. Colors pop, brightness and contrast is there. But, I feel like some bright areas of movies look too bright, to the point where some details get washed out.

I have tested all HDR modes with this, and couldn't find one that I feel confident using throughout all my movies. Some scenes look great, some look just ok, and some make you want to turn HDR off. I'm still testing with this, along with adjusting some modes in the projector.

3. If you set HDR on the Sony player to Auto, and adjust your contrast all the way up to +40ish range, the brightness for HDR content looks decent. But why would anyone want to set their contrast that high?

I think the problem sits with the player. All my 1080P content looks bright and colors pop. If you turn HDR off on the player and projector, the UHD movies look bland, and have no color pop to them. I'm sure some of these things can be adjusted, but should you have to?

Overall, the Sony player is just not a good idea for HDR content out of the box. It seems like you need to keep adjusting things and resorting to reference disks like Disney WOW or AVS Rec709 to get ideas on what to calibrate when HDR in enabled with the player.

I'm still giving the Sony a few more tries. Ideally I would like to leave the HDR mode on Auto. Choosing SDR to HDR on the UHD60/65 feels un-natural.
Quote:
Upon further testing, I realize, I will need to use the SDR to HDR option when playing 4K discs. it's the only way HDR will look nice enough to watch.

I've tried adjusting brightness/contrast with various youtube videos and some calibration discs I have. Nothing helps when HDR is enabled on the Sony player. All content just looks too dark to actually enjoy the movie. The colors are where I want them to be, but it's just too dark.

I picked up the patriot 4K UHD. I tested between the 4K version and Blu-Ray version. It's comical to see the Blu-Ray version beat the 4K when it comes to brightness and color pop. Seriously something wrong with the UBP-X800.

I will try a player or two from best buy to hold me over until I see some better players come out. I cannot justify $500 for the Panny right now.

Also waiting for a 4K calibration disc. Nobody makes one yet.

The Sony (and XBox) is doing it correctly actually. The reason it's dim is due to HDR being mastered for displays like flat panels that can do much higher brightness (600, 1,000 nits+) than projectors. What it's doing is cramming, say for simplicity's sake, the 1,000 nit mastered UHD HDR Bluray down into a projector's 100 nits space. So what would be 100 nits on a 1,000 nit display would only be 10 nits on the projector's 100 nits peak capability. See how much dimmer that would look?

What has to happen is something called "tone mapping", so it takes that 1,000 nit HDR Bluray and maps it to what the display (projector in this case) is capable of, so the brightness levels can be displayed at their proper places for said device, hence increasing the "brightness" of each scene to the same level/percentage that it is on the master, or even elevating it in some instances (this is up to the creator of the tone map) to better serve low nit displays.

Tone mapping can happen in the source or the display, but you shouldn't do it on both and you DEFINITELY should NOT turn off HDR in the source and then turn on pseudo fake HDR in the display and then think you're actually getting real "HDR"! I mentioned this previously somewhere, but a good analogy of this would be if you had a nice Dolby 9.1 surround audio source and you down-convert it to stereo PCM, and then output that to your Dolby Surround AVR via HDMI, toslink optical or whatever and then re-upconvert that stereo audio back into simulated Dolby 9.1, 7.1, etc. surround sound for your surround sound speaker setup theater! Of course if you do that, what you're hearing wouldn't be true discrete audio channels right? That's the same as what you're doing, but with the video. You're not getting the true HDR video image that's mastered in the source. See the issue there?

As I said, tone mapping can be done in the source in some instances, like the Oppo 203 and 205 UHD Bluray players or the Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor, or it can be done at the display. This is why you see Owners of the JVC DiLA and Sony SXRD projectors creating custom gamma curves and settings, and the manufacturer's attempts at doing this too (Sony's HDR Contrast Slider, for example, which the Panasonic UB900 UHD Bluray has too). Epson has also released a few FW updates for their Home Cinema 4000, 5040/6040UB lines too, which gives you brighter options to select for HDR sourced video. I like to think I had a hand in that with my custom "tone mapping" that I created awhile ago, initially for the 5040UB since many complained it was too dark just like folks are saying here. I called it "HarperVision" and you can search that model's Owners thread for details. I then expanded that to even be able to play full HDR on so called "non-HDR" displays like the Epson LS10000 laser projector and also to other HDR capable ones like the LS10500.

The best results by far so far have been with the 5040UB (HDR capable) and my latest experiment with the BenQ LK970 laser XPR DLP, which is marketed as "non-HDR", but my results after HarperVision are absolutely incredible! You just need a device that can force the HDR signal to be sent (Oppo 203, etc.) or one that tricks the source into thinking it's connected to a fully HDR compliant display, like the HDFury Vertex or Linker devices.

The two best UHD Bluray players that I know of are still the Oppo 203/205 (great customizable HDR to SDR tone mapping) or the Panasonic UB900 (HDR contrast slider). Panasonic is coming out with a new one soon though, the UB820 I think it's called. Oppo is going out of the hardware business, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliptags View Post
Hey,

Just looking for some advice, I've currently got a BENQ W1070+ and considering an upgrade to the UHD60. I've got a bit of a squashed room, I currently get about 120-125 inches diagonal on the BENQ at a distance of about 11 feet. Looking at Optoma's website it seems to indicate I'd only be getting about 110 inches diagonal. I just wanted to check if that was correct (Optoma's tool isn't the most clear!) and if so, is it worth losing 10-15 inches (and 1600 pounds!) for the upgraded picture? I'm currently using a OLED 65 inch LG for my 4k content and it looks phenomenal! Can only imagine what it would look like blown up to that size!

Thanks in advance!

Cliptags

I recommend you get the new UHD51A instead. It has a much shorter throw distance so you'll be able to get a larger image in that same 11'. It also features the RGBRGB color wheel which has much better contrast and colors than the UHD60 with the RGBY color wheel, designed to be brighter for high ambient light rooms, but without as much contrast or color saturation. The UHD51A also can do 3D from sources like Bluray players which the UHD60/65 can't. It is also Amazon Alexa enabled if that matters and has a totally retooled GUI that looks more modern and up to date.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info so we don't get off the topic of this thread.

Last edited by Dave Harper; 06-02-2018 at 11:27 AM.
post #2709 of 3415 Old 06-02-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
The Sony (and XBox) is doing it correctly actually. The reason it's dim is due to HDR being mastered for displays like flat panels that can do much higher brightness (600, 1,000 nits+) than projectors. What it's doing is cramming, say for simplicity's sake, the 1,000 nit mastered UHD HDR Bluray down into a projector's 100 nits space. So what would be 100 nits on a 1,000 nit display would only be 10 nits on the projector's 100 nits peak capability. See how much dimmer that would look?

What has to happen is something called "tone mapping", so it takes that 1,000 nit HDR Bluray and maps it to what the display (projector in this case) is capable of, so the brightness levels can be displayed at their proper places for said device, hence increasing the "brightness" of each scene to the same level/percentage that it is on the master, or even elevating it in some instances (this is up to the creator of the tone map) to better serve low nit displays.

Tone mapping can happen in the source or the display, but you shouldn't do it on both and you DEFINITELY should NOT turn off HDR in the source and then turn on pseudo fake HDR in the display and then think you're actually getting real "HDR"! I mentioned this previously somewhere, but a good analogy of this would be if you had a nice Dolby 9.1 surround audio source and you down-convert it to stereo PCM, and then output that to your Dolby Surround AVR via HDMI, toslink optical or whatever and then re-upconvert that stereo audio back into simulated Dolby 9.1, 7.1, etc. surround sound for your surround sound speaker setup theater! Of course if you do that, what you're hearing wouldn't be true discrete audio channels right? That's the same as what you're doing, but with the video. You're not getting the true HDR video image that's mastered in the source. See the issue there?

As I said, tone mapping can be done in the source in some instances, like the Oppo 203 and 205 UHD Bluray players or the Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor, or it can be done at the display. This is why you see Owners of the JVC DiLA and Sony SXRD projectors creating custom gamma curves and settings, and the manufacturer's attempts at doing this too (Sony's HDR Contrast Slider, for example, which the Panasonic UB900 UHD Bluray has too). Epson has also released a few FW updates for their Home Cinema 4000, 5040/6040UB lines too, which gives you brighter options to select for HDR sourced video. I like to think I had a hand in that with my custom "tone mapping" that I created awhile ago, initially for the 5040UB since many complained it was too dark just like folks are saying here. I called it "HarperVision" and you can search that model's Owners thread for details. I then expanded that to even be able to play full HDR on so called "non-HDR" displays like the Epson LS10000 laser projector and also to other HDR capable ones like the LS10500.

The best results by far so far have been with the 5040UB (HDR capable) and my latest experiment with the BenQ LK970 laser XPR DLP, which is marketed as "non-HDR", but my results after HarperVision are absolutely incredible! You just need a device that can force the HDR signal to be sent (Oppo 203, etc.) or one that tricks the source into thinking it's connected to a fully HDR compliant display, like the HDFury Vertex or Linker devices.

The two best UHD Bluray players that I know of are still the Oppo 203/205 (great customizable HDR to SDR tone mapping) or the Panasonic UB900 (HDR contrast slider). Panasonic is coming out with a new one soon though, the UB820 I think it's called. Oppo is going out of the hardware business, unfortunately.

I recommend you get the new UHD51A instead. It has a much shorter throw distance so you'll be able to get a larger image in that same 11'. It also features the RGBRGB color wheel which has much better contrast and colors than the UHD60 with the RGBY color wheel, designed to be brighter for high ambient light rooms, but without as much contrast or color saturation. The UHD51A also can do 3D from sources like Bluray players which the UHD60/65 can't. It is also Amazon Alexa enabled if that matters and has a totally retooled GUI that looks more modern and up to date.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info so we don't get off the topic of this thread.

Thanks for this. Good amount of information here.

Fun fact, if I were to take the contrast level on the UHD60 and push it closer to +40 through 50, the HDR looks spot on. Nothing, at least in my eyes gets over saturated.
One area where I noticed the high contrast level was too much, was with Life of Pi. The scene where the camera is facing the water with the sun in the background. The lighting looks too bright, over saturating a good portion of the image. I will take screens when I get home. But for other scenes, it looks fantastic. Maybe I need to doctor the image settings more. Gamma, HDR modes, and color gamut.

Is there any reference HDR brightness/contrast calibration that I can use without tools?
post #2710 of 3415 Old 06-06-2018, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi All.
I am new to this thread, and have done a fair bit of reading of your posts which are most helpful, although trying to keep track of all the different points made makes life interesting. :-)

Just waiting for my UHD65 to be delivered any day and am looking at which player to get.
I know most look to the Oppo being the ideal one out there, but that is a little outside my price bracket.
As I also live in Australia, the choice is more limited.

I have to admit that I am not a great fan of LG (bad past experience) so would prefer not to go that way. But I do see some reasonable reviews of the UP970. Any one with experience of these? Picture quality and Audio music quality?

I see the recent comments about the Sony X800 being dim, which was at the top of my list due to good image and music reviews, with the main downside being the lack of front display.

an alternative is the Panny UB400 ( difficult to get the 900 here (which is the same price as the Oppo203, and I can't find a UB700 at all, which would have been my next choice)
What are peoples thoughts on UB400 with the UHD65?

One other thing I would like is multi region. Again we pay through the nose for BR disks and I do make the odd trip to the US so would be good to have.

Any comments appreciated and if there are other units I should look at in this price with a little leaway, then please make suggestions.

Where is it going.
I will have a dedicated room (which is still being fitted out), and do want to listen to music and watch movies with the same player if possible.
Unfortunately, the room size in not ideal being 4Mx4M (13ftx13ft) and 2.7M (~8ft) high
I just ordered a fibre HDMI cable for the 8-9M run from player to projector which will be mounted on the ceiling
Amp is a Yamaha A2070
Screen I am looking to make myself and doing research on that, but probably in the region of 110"

Thanks
XD
post #2711 of 3415 Old 06-06-2018, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I just finished my home theater and I have a UHD65 connected to an Nvidia Shield and Samsung UBD-M8500 through a Denon 6300H. The current firmware is C05 so I started the RMA process. Reading the forum I see that this may fix the issue with the PJ not switching into HDR mode when watching content on Netflix via the Shield. I can see the color shift, but I have to manually select HDR mode and the icon on the top right does not appear.

The second issue I have is with the Samsung Blu-Ray player. It plays movies fine and triggers HDR. But the smart hub software will not display and the PJ goes into searching for signal mode. Now when I plug in the PJ directly into player using the same cable the menus display. It does search for signal but the eventually it renders. I am using Mediabridge HDMI Cable [email protected] HDMI 2.0 UHD, 18Gbps (3' and 25').

It's very frustrating that components don't just work.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
post #2712 of 3415 Old 06-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd9000 View Post
Hi All.
I am new to this thread, and have done a fair bit of reading of your posts which are most helpful, although trying to keep track of all the different points made makes life interesting. 🙂

Just waiting for my UHD65 to be delivered any day and am looking at which player to get.
I know most look to the Oppo being the ideal one out there, but that is a little outside my price bracket.

I have to admit that I am not a great fan of LG (bad past experience) so would prefer not to go that way. But I do see some reasonable reviews of the UP970. Any one with experience of these? Picture quality and Audio music quality?

I see the recent comments about the Sony X800 being dim, which was at the top of my list due to good image and music reviews, with the main downside being the lack of front display.

an alternative is the Panny UB400 ( difficult to get the 900 here (which is the same price as the Oppo203, and I can't find a UB700 at all, which would have been my next choice)

One other thing I would like is multi region. Again we pay through the nose for BR disks and I do make the odd trip to the US so would be good to have.

Any comments appreciated and if there are other units I should look at in this price with a little leaway, then please make suggestions.

Where is it going.
I will have a dedicated room (which is still being fitted out), and do want to listen to music and watch movies with the same player if possible.
Unfortunately, the room size in not ideal being 4Mx4M (13ftx13ft) and 2.7M (~8ft) high
I just ordered a fibre HDMI cable for the 8-9M run from player to projector which will be mounted on the ceiling
Amp is a Yamaha A2070
Screen I am looking to make myself and doing research on that, but probably in the region of 110"

Thanks
XD
I just got mine UHD65 in the mail yesterday and I also got a LG UBK90. It was on sale for $279 and came with a free $50 Harmony remote, which I plans to sell to help with the cost of the player. I’m still building my theater room too and all I had on hand was a bed sheet I taped to the joists to make sure things worked. So take this first impression with all that in mind. I thought the picture it displayed was bright, colorful and rich. This is straight out of the box performance too. No calibration of any kind on the projector or the player. I can not wait to get the room finished and get a proper screen put up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14B53589-6829-4EA4-86FE-61A00C54F988_1528305318905.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	2412728  
post #2713 of 3415 Old 06-06-2018, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I did the same thing, ie. bedsheet, the night I got mine too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #2714 of 3415 Old 06-06-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd9000 View Post
Hi All.
I am new to this thread, and have done a fair bit of reading of your posts which are most helpful, although trying to keep track of all the different points made makes life interesting. :-)

Where is it going.
Amp is a Yamaha A2070

Thanks
XD
Yea the issue with Sony is an odd one. I tested 4K HDR from youtube, and amazon prime from an apple tv. Wow what a difference !!! Why can't my UHD discs that I pay good money for look that way?
After hours and hours of researching. The Sony doesn't play well with the UHD60/UHD65. The player is doing what its supposed to, but its assuming you have the brightness of panel. So a TV not a projector.
Interestingly enough, the X800 has a menu option for display type. TV or Projector. I've tried both, and they literally don't do crap. The issue must be on Sony's end, but I will warn you, they haven't released a firmware update since 9/26/17.

I'm holding out for the July release of the nex-gen Panasonic Players. The 320, 420, and 820 lineup. The 420 & 820 will feature HDR tone mapping, which will allow you to scale HDR brightness through the player.
If you can't wait, the Panasonic - DMP-UB900 will be your best bet. Currently $450 USD.
Wesley Hester likes this.
post #2715 of 3415 Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unhappy HDMI2 broken !?

Hello all,
I have used the UHD65 (C08) for like 3 months now and it worked without any problems.
Great Projector though ...
Couple of days ago, during watching Netflix 4K on Shield over SonySTR1080 the picture went off and it showed "no Source found".
At first I thought I hit the remote or something, but since then I was not able to get HDMI2 running again.

Tried different cables and lengths, tried to directly connect the source, did a factory reset - nothing worked.
When I reboot Shield or Receiver with HDMI2 connected, I get a picture for a couple of seconds showing the Boot Logo (Nvidia logo) but after that, picture goes off again and "no Source found" is getting displayed.
HDMI1 is working fine, but since only HDMI2 is supporting HDMI2.0 and stuff its not really helpful.

I am now trying to figure out if I have to replace the Mainboard or if this is something like a known issue which can be fixed easily.
Would appreciate any help & feedback.

Regards
phan
post #2716 of 3415 Old 06-07-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanti View Post
Hello all,
I have used the UHD65 (C08) for like 3 months now and it worked without any problems.
Great Projector though ...
Couple of days ago, during watching Netflix 4K on Shield over SonySTR1080 the picture went off and it showed "no Source found".
At first I thought I hit the remote or something, but since then I was not able to get HDMI2 running again.

Tried different cables and lengths, tried to directly connect the source, did a factory reset - nothing worked.
When I reboot Shield or Receiver with HDMI2 connected, I get a picture for a couple of seconds showing the Boot Logo (Nvidia logo) but after that, picture goes off again and "no Source found" is getting displayed.
HDMI1 is working fine, but since only HDMI2 is supporting HDMI2.0 and stuff its not really helpful.

I am now trying to figure out if I have to replace the Mainboard or if this is something like a known issue which can be fixed easily.
Would appreciate any help & feedback.

Regards
phan

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmille View Post
I received an FAQ PDF back from Optoma Tech support.

In that, they showed how to Reset the HDMI 2.2 port. Here is how to do that:

1. Please turn off and unplug your projector. While the projector is unplug hold down the menu button on the unit.
2. While continuing to hold down the menu button, reconnect the power plug to the projector
You should see the power LED flashing between red and blue
3. Once the Power LED switch to a flashing blue LED only. IMMEDIATELY let go of the menu button and wait unit you see the power LED flash purple. Once it is purple IMMEDIATELY press the menu button once.
4.After you press the menu once the power LED should flash purple and the TEMP / LAMP LED should flash red together.
Let the projector go though and reset the HDCP back to HDCP 2.2. Once completed the LED will flash blue then red, which means you are done and HDCP 2.2 is active

Also, if you set up the settings in 1080 mode. You may need to readjust your Display settings in 4K mode.
1. Click menu
2. Under Display, click image shift
3. re shift your image back to H 0 or V 0

Hope this helps everyone! Soooo glad I don't have to send this back.

Also, for anyone who had "noisy" white images or color banding issues.
1. Click menu
2. Go to the setup menu settings
Then mouse over and UP!! (I didn't see these settings before)
3. Then click OPTIONS
4. Scroll down to HDMI 1 or 2 EQ (these settings help with distortion on longer HDMI cable runs)

PM me for the PDF file if you need it.

Try this ^
houstonubc likes this.
post #2717 of 3415 Old 06-07-2018, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Try this ^
Yea I saw that and tried it couple of times but it did not help...
post #2718 of 3415 Old 06-08-2018, 06:53 AM
Lifetime Newbie!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For those of you that decided to purchase the UHD65, I was wondering what made you chose it over other options out there most notably the Epson 5040ub? I am really torn between purchasing one of these projectors. I have a Ben Q HD2050 now and in the process of upgrading everything in my theater.
post #2719 of 3415 Old 06-08-2018, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Phillips View Post
For those of you that decided to purchase the UHD65, I was wondering what made you chose it over other options out there most notably the Epson 5040ub? I am really torn between purchasing one of these projectors. I have a Ben Q HD2050 now and in the process of upgrading everything in my theater.

I could watch both, and from my taste, the detail level is more profound in UHD65 than the 5040ub, as well as the colors are a little bit more exact.
Justin Phillips likes this.

Oppo UDP-203 - Receiver Denon X4300H - Projector Optoma UHD65 - Projection Screen Elite Screen Mate White 150" gain 1.1
5 Channels Amplifier Emotiva XPA-5 - NAS Qnap 412 4x3TB Disks.
JBL Synthesis : LS80, LS Central, Subwoofer 1 x HSU VTF-15H MK2 setup for ATMOS 7.2.4
post #2720 of 3415 Old 06-08-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoNNy379CH View Post
Here my latest UHD65 calibration settings for UHD HDR content.

I choose the native color gamut of the UHD65 to get the widest targets.

My OPPO UDP-205 was set to 4:4:4 / 12bit.

These settings looks also very fine with FULL HD only content.

Attachment 2316040

Hi @RoNNy379CH !

Long time without posting here!

Your posts about calibration has been very helpful for me.
Have you improved your UHD65 calibration? Specially when Oppo released a new firmware some months ago, with the new HDR->SDR modes, where the people say are incredible improvements.

Did you find some improvement? have you made some new calibration usin those modes?

Regards!!

Oppo UDP-203 - Receiver Denon X4300H - Projector Optoma UHD65 - Projection Screen Elite Screen Mate White 150" gain 1.1
JBL Synthesis : LS80, LS Central, Subwoofer 1 x HSU VTF-15H MK2 setup for ATMOS 7.2.4
post #2721 of 3415 Old 06-09-2018, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerlano View Post
Hi @RoNNy379CH !

Have you improved your UHD65 calibration? Specially when Oppo released a new firmware some months ago, with the new HDR->SDR modes, where the people say are incredible improvements.

Did you find some improvement? have you made some new calibration usin those modes?

Regards!!
Hello Thanks for feedback,

but I changed the UHD65 for a UHZ65 on Christmas last year.

BR, Ron
post #2722 of 3415 Old 06-09-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoNNy379CH View Post
Hello Thanks for feedback,

but I changed the UHD65 for a UHZ65 on Christmas last year.

BR, Ron

Oh! Ok, Good for you, congrats!
Worth the change?
Regards

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

post #2723 of 3415 Old 06-11-2018, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Just want to say thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread! You guys helped me take the leap of faith and upgrade to a UHD60, and I can honestly say, the best money I ever spent! Even with all the pictures and videos and things everyone has said, I was not truly prepared for how breathtaking the picture is coming out of this projector! I think I said "Oh my god" and "Awesome" and "Wow" and "are you seeing this?" about 50 times the first night! Truly worth the money and effort put into this project! And again, without everyone else sharing their knowledge and experiences in this thread, I probably would not have bought this thing, but now I am a proud owner who will be showing others the way!

My setup now includes:
Optoma UHD60
Silver Ticket STR-169110 110" Matte White 1.1 Gain screen
Panasonic DMP-UB900
am2model3 likes this.

Last edited by m0j0; 06-11-2018 at 06:53 AM.
post #2724 of 3415 Old 06-11-2018, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 199
i love firing up my uhd60 everyday to play 4k games or watch movies! = )
Wesley Hester and m0j0 like this.
post #2725 of 3415 Old 06-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What are the chances optima adds dolby vision as a firmware update in the future? Hardware should be sufficient.
post #2726 of 3415 Old 06-11-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2model3 View Post
i love firing up my uhd60 everyday to play 4k games or watch movies! = )

I haven't even connected the XBOX One to it yet, but I can only imagine how impressive it is to play 4k movies in HDR on this projector! I have to find a balance between spending time with the wife and kids and spending time with my new UHD60, as I do not think it will fit in the dog house!
post #2727 of 3415 Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerlano View Post
Hi @RoNNy379CH !

Regards!!
You think the settings you provided can be applied to the UHD60 ? Minus the PureEngine settings of course. And, if you turn off Dynamic Black, you remove the flicker.
post #2728 of 3415 Old 06-13-2018, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by master02 View Post
What are the chances optima adds dolby vision as a firmware update in the future? Hardware should be sufficient.

Chances are nil. DV needs to use dynamic metadata to change the scene's image characteristics. It needs to know the display's capabilities so it can do it on the fly. This is extremely hard to do with home theater projectors since every single installation is different, from the screen, room, lighting, size, etc. It can be done in commercial cinemas because each installation is tightly controlled to know these variables.

DV includes the HDR10 base metadata, so your source shoulda still use that sent to your display. Maybe some day home theater projectors will include some sort of sensor to read the screen and give real time feedback for DV, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, but you never know.
post #2729 of 3415 Old 06-14-2018, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Lightbulb What is 'firmware'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post
I am in c13.
Has anybody figured out exactly what 'fimware' means in the wild world of Texas Instruments DLP powered projectors?

I got a new lamp with my update to C13, anybody know of anything else? Title icon means "New Lamp", not "Eureka!"
post #2730 of 3415 Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnips View Post
Has anybody figured out exactly what 'fimware' means in the wild world of Texas Instruments DLP powered projectors?

I got a new lamp with my update to C13, anybody know of anything else? Title icon means "New Lamp", not "Eureka!"

Are you sure you actually got a new lamp, rather than the lamp counter reset ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page