Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4551Likes

post #2731 of 3663 Old 06-14-2018, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
The Sony (and XBox) is doing it correctly actually. The reason it's dim is due to HDR being mastered for displays like flat panels that can do much higher brightness (600, 1,000 nits+) than projectors. What it's doing is cramming, say for simplicity's sake, the 1,000 nit mastered UHD HDR Bluray down into a projector's 100 nits space. So what would be 100 nits on a 1,000 nit display would only be 10 nits on the projector's 100 nits peak capability. See how much dimmer that would look?

What has to happen is something called "tone mapping", so it takes that 1,000 nit HDR Bluray and maps it to what the display (projector in this case) is capable of, so the brightness levels can be displayed at their proper places for said device, hence increasing the "brightness" of each scene to the same level/percentage that it is on the master, or even elevating it in some instances (this is up to the creator of the tone map) to better serve low nit displays.

Tone mapping can happen in the source or the display, but you shouldn't do it on both and you DEFINITELY should NOT turn off HDR in the source and then turn on pseudo fake HDR in the display and then think you're actually getting real "HDR"! I mentioned this previously somewhere, but a good analogy of this would be if you had a nice Dolby 9.1 surround audio source and you down-convert it to stereo PCM, and then output that to your Dolby Surround AVR via HDMI, toslink optical or whatever and then re-upconvert that stereo audio back into simulated Dolby 9.1, 7.1, etc. surround sound for your surround sound speaker setup theater! Of course if you do that, what you're hearing wouldn't be true discrete audio channels right? That's the same as what you're doing, but with the video. You're not getting the true HDR video image that's mastered in the source. See the issue there?

That makes sense that the X800 is doing it properly and player settings should be left to native HDR.
I do experience somewhat dark picture also with my UHD65, though. I don't want to change player due to cost, and other (non-Sony) UHD players lacking SACD support.
What would be the best way to do this tone mapping for an X800/UHD65 combo ?

Last edited by madbrain; 06-14-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 3663 Old 06-15-2018, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1727
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
Dave,

That makes sense that the X800 is doing it properly and player settings should be left to native HDR.
I do experience somewhat dark picture also with my UHD65, though. I don't want to change player due to cost, and other (non-Sony) UHD players lacking SACD support.
What would be the best way to do this tone mapping for an X800/UHD65 combo ?

I really don't know the X800 at all. Never had one here or touched one.

It seems to me, since you don't have any custom gamma in the UHD65 or a way to force HDR (unless you get an HDFury Linker or Vertex, which is an idea actually!), then your only recourse may be to mess with the various gamma presets, and then experiment with the basic pictures controls like brightness, contrast, color, tint, etc. and if you have a way of measuring, the color gamut settings to bring the HDR image back in line. It's basically a manual tone mapping like I do with my HarperVision tweaks (see the Epson 5040, LS10000, LS10500 and BenQ LK970 threads).

Something else you can try and that I think I read someone else did is still send the full HDR BT2020 signal into the UHD65 from the X800, but manually turn off HDR mode in the uhd65, but be sure to check to make sure it doesn't cause the Sony to convert it to non HDR rec709. If the signal stays HDR, then you can experiment with the various picture modes, settings and gamma presets to get it back in line looking good, but brighter because it's basically applying an SDR gamma. This is basically the manual tone mapping I was discussing. It's much easier if you have a meter and software like the free HCFR if you don't want to pay for CalMAN or ChromaPure.

It will take a lot of back and forth and patience but I have to say, when you "hit it" and the stars align, you KNOW it and your jaw will hit the floor in amazement! I had that eureka moment with the 5040UB and the LK970, and pretty close with the LS10000 and LS10500, but I think that was due to their more limited lumen output than the other two, which can really help with HDR as you're seeing.

I have a UHD51A here now. Maybe I can see if it works with that since they're kind of similar settings and menu wise?

Good luck!
post #2733 of 3663 Old 06-15-2018, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I really don't know the X800 at all. Never had one here or touched one.

It seems to me, since you don't have any custom gamma in the UHD65 or a way to force HDR (unless you get an HDFury Linker or Vertex, which is an idea actually!), then your only recourse may be to mess with the various gamma presets, and then experiment with the basic pictures controls like brightness, contrast, color, tint, etc. and if you have a way of measuring, the color gamut settings to bring the HDR image back in line. It's basically a manual tone mapping like I do with my HarperVision tweaks (see the Epson 5040, LS10000, LS10500 and BenQ LK970 threads).
No HDFury Linker or Vertex here. Not in the budget at the moment - got laid off about a month ago. Bright side is that I have a little bit of time on my hands to try these things now, except for preparing for my big bday party this weekend.

I have an old Spyder 3 Pro which can be put on a tripod, and can use a laptop for measurements. Have not tried installing HCFR yet.
The source device wouldn't be the laptop though, it would be the X800.

Quote:
Something else you can try and that I think I read someone else did is still send the full HDR BT2020 signal into the UHD65 from the X800, but manually turn off HDR mode in the uhd65, but be sure to check to make sure it doesn't cause the Sony to convert it to non HDR rec709. If the signal stays HDR, then you can experiment with the various picture modes, settings and gamma presets to get it back in line looking good, but brighter because it's basically applying an SDR gamma. This is basically the manual tone mapping I was discussing. It's much easier if you have a meter and software like the free HCFR if you don't want to pay for CalMAN or ChromaPure.
Pretty sure the HDR->SDR mode in the UHD65 (which is the only way to turn off HDR that I know) keeps the full HDR signal going to the projector, it just gets post-processed to SDR. I can double check that from the receiver HDMI signal details.

Quote:
It will take a lot of back and forth and patience but I have to say, when you "hit it" and the stars align, you KNOW it and your jaw will hit the floor in amazement! I had that eureka moment with the 5040UB and the LK970, and pretty close with the LS10000 and LS10500, but I think that was due to their more limited lumen output than the other two, which can really help with HDR as you're seeing.
Still waiting for that amazing moment. I have a 2.4 gain screen and fully light controlled room, so even without tweaking, the HDR movies don't look overly dark as to be unwatchable. They just don't look like HDR ...

Quote:
I have a UHD51A here now. Maybe I can see if it works with that since they're kind of similar settings and menu wise?
That would be appreciated.

Julien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2734 of 3663 Old 06-15-2018, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Are you sure you actually got a new lamp, rather than the lamp counter reset ?
Good point... So I suppose it's possible they actually did update firmware.

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz.........(thud).
post #2735 of 3663 Old 06-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
No HDFury Linker or Vertex here. Not in the budget at the moment - got laid off about a month ago. Bright side is that I have a little bit of time on my hands to try these things now, except for preparing for my big bday party this weekend.

I have an old Spyder 3 Pro which can be put on a tripod, and can use a laptop for measurements. Have not tried installing HCFR yet.
The source device wouldn't be the laptop though, it would be the X800.

Pretty sure the HDR->SDR mode in the UHD65 (which is the only way to turn off HDR that I know) keeps the full HDR signal going to the projector, it just gets post-processed to SDR. I can double check that from the receiver HDMI signal details.

Still waiting for that amazing moment. I have a 2.4 gain screen and fully light controlled room, so even without tweaking, the HDR movies don't look overly dark as to be unwatchable. They just don't look like HDR ...

That would be appreciated.

Julien

I'm in the same boat as you are. If you read through the previous 10 pages of this topic, you will see the Sony X800 is not a good player for projectors.
I've tried many settings, and the only thing I could come up with was increasing the contrast up to 25-35. It gives HDR a much brighter look, but its not great.

I would wait for Panasonic's new line due out in July. 210, 420, and 820. The 420 & 820 will have HDR tone mapping. It sucks that Sony doesn't keep on top of firmware updates for its players. The last one for the X800 was 9/26/17. And that's really bad for a player that originally came out priced at $400. This isn't supposed to be a lower end player. Reviews were up there with the Oppo in terms of picture and audio quality, but didn't have as strong of a feature set as the Oppo.

From what I read from various sources, the X800 does an excellent job with panels because of their higher nit output. Strangely enough, the X800 has a display setting (TV or Projector). Both, at least from I can tell, don't do a darn thing with the UHD60. They both look evenly just as dark. I've even tried bypassing my receiver (Denon X2300W) and went direct to the projector. No difference, and there shouldn't be unless you use picture settings on the AVR. I have mine set to Bypass any picture settings, allowing only the audio to be decoded.

It's a shame, because regular Blu-ray 1080p movies look fantastic on the UHD60. Everything has great brightness and darks. But take any UHD film with HDR, and it all looks too dark. For example, BladeRunner 2049, the beginning where Kay walks into the dark house, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to make out various details of objects inside the house. Instead, its all blacked out. Same with The Patriot, the beginning should have this beautiful bright scene where you see the fields, and the house and barns. Instead, it looks as if the whole picture has a dark tone to it. Change to the Blu-ray version, and its like, why even bother watching the 4K version?
Saving Private Ryan, I couldn't wait to pick this up. The HDR darkness here is similar to The Patriot, everything has a dark tone, even though SPR is a gritty and dark movie, there are plenty of scenes where you should be able to make out details, but you can't.

From what I've seen so far, the Oppo and Panny are the way to go. But since Oppo no longer makes hardware, resellers are capitalizing on the value of the player to around $700+. The current Panny is on sale now for $450 at Best Buy and other retailers.
post #2736 of 3663 Old 06-15-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Can anyone recommend a good and affordable HDMI switch that will support 4:2:2 10 bit @ 60hz? The switch I have now won’t work with all my devices and the UHD60 unless I set the projector to 4.2.0, which causes some sky banding for me.
post #2737 of 3663 Old 06-15-2018, 10:28 AM

To add more insult to injury, even though the UHD60/65 does not support Dolby Vision, the Sony UBP-X700, supports DV. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-ub...?skuId=6188345
And.... looking at the manual to this player, you can see a few more options in terms of video settings. The frustration !!!!
post #2738 of 3663 Old 06-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good and affordable HDMI switch that will support 4:2:2 10 bit @ 60hz? The switch I have now won’t work with all my devices and the UHD60 unless I set the projector to 4.2.0, which causes some sky banding for me.
How do you manually select what color space you want from the UHD60 menu ?
post #2739 of 3663 Old 06-15-2018, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by (CinemaScope) View Post
How do you manually select what color space you want from the UHD60 menu ?
Actually, I am making the selection in the Panasonic UB-900. If I am directly connected to the projector, I can select 4:4:4 and I have no problem seeing the menu, playing via dlna, 4K discs or streaming. But if I connect through the switch, it can’t display the menu for the Panny unless I select 4:2:0.
post #2740 of 3663 Old 06-15-2018, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What's the best ceiling mount for this? I want one that can extend down so its less distorted. I'm buying a UHD65 at the end of the month.
post #2741 of 3663 Old 06-15-2018, 05:12 PM

I have decided to turn HDR off until I can either get the UB900 or UB420. The picture quality is great on 4K, and 1080p content. Enabling HDR on the Sony UBP-X800 just destroys the brightness. So I officially threw in the towel on trying to make the X800 work. Lol
post #2742 of 3663 Old 06-16-2018, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by (CinemaScope) View Post
I have decided to turn HDR off until I can either get the UB900 or UB420. The picture quality is great on 4K, and 1080p content. Enabling HDR on the Sony UBP-X800 just destroys the brightness. So I officially threw in the towel on trying to make the X800 work. Lol

You can't go wrong with the UB900. It handles HDR like a dream with the UHD60. It's pricey, but worth every cent.
post #2743 of 3663 Old 06-16-2018, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In case anyone is interested, here's the settings I settled on with my UHD60 on a matte white 1.1 gain screen (Silver Ticket):

Display Mode: HDR
Wall Color: Off
Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode Standard
Brightness: 0
Contrast: -2
Sharpness: 8
Color: 19
Tint: -2
Gamma: 1.8
Ultra Detail: 1
Dynamic Black: Off (Was On before, but got better results with it off)
Brilliant Color: 8 (Was 2 before, but found I could crank it safely up to 8 with Dynamic Black off)
Color Temp: D65
Color Gamut: Cinema
CMS: Defaults
Color Space: Auto
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:
Red Gain: -4
Green Gain: -1
Blue Gain: 12
Red Bias: 0
Green Bias: -1
Blue Bias: 2

I noted that Gamma of 1.8 coupled with Brilliant Color 8 and dynamic black off gave me the best overall affect. Brilliant Color above 2 with dynamic black on and brilliant color above 8 with dynamic black off blows out whites in some scenes for me (mostly sky scenes with white clouds), so scaling it back to 8 with dynamic black off gave me good colors and light without any over saturation. I used the above setting to watch a 4K HDR blu ray, then to watch The Tick on Amazon Prime, and then to watch The Hunt on Netflix, and all had amazing color, clarity, good skin tones and overall just an eye popping image, so this is my go to setting so far (though I may need to adjust/tweak depending on the source material).

Update: I'm back to Brilliant Color 2 and Dynamic Black on. Just feels slightly better to me from an overall perspective, but again, I may flip flop on these settings based on source.

Last edited by m0j0; 06-19-2018 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Update to settings
post #2744 of 3663 Old 06-16-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentKnight View Post
Over the past few days I have noticed macroblocking (I think that's the right term) when I stream on Netflix or watch cable. It doesn't happen often but when it does its noticeable. The macroblocking seems to only happen on peoples faces (mainly cheeks and forehead). I don't know what's causing this, is it a bad hdmi cable? I have a 32ft fibre optic cable running from my UHD65 to my Denon 4400 receiver. The macroblocking has never happened (so far) when playing games on PS4 or watching 4k blu ray discs/normal blu ray discs on Sony UBP-X800.
You may want to try to drop brilliant color down to 2 and see if that resolves it.
post #2745 of 3663 Old 06-16-2018, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1727
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What's the best ceiling mount for this? I want one that can extend down so its less distorted. I'm buying a UHD65 at the end of the month.

I like Chief mounts the best. You can get the RPA-U Universal mount with an extension NPT 1.5" threaded pipe to drop down as low as you need it to. You'd also need the ceiling plate/flange mount to do it this way.
post #2746 of 3663 Old 06-18-2018, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Thanks for sharing your hdr settings for uhd60!
Besides that route if one wants something easy tell your uhd player to send 4k 2160p sdr and turn hdr off. ImAge will still look really good.
m0j0 and Jicanew like this.
post #2747 of 3663 Old 06-18-2018, 08:11 AM

That’s what I did for now. I’ll watch 4K with HDR off. Next month will be worth the wait.
The Panasonic UB420 and UB820 will come out. Depending on the price, it will also cause the UB900 to price drop.
m0j0 likes this.
post #2748 of 3663 Old 06-18-2018, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am curious what improvements were gained going from C10 to C13 firmware ?
Parsnips likes this.
post #2749 of 3663 Old 06-21-2018, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Been watching a lot of 4k movies on this projector over the past week and a half. So far, the best ones, in terms of really showing off the 4K capabilities of this projector, have been Pacific Rim, X-Men Apocalypse and the Fate of the Furious. Still got quite a bit more to go through. Going to watch the Batman movies next probably, and just got The Matrix and Gladiator in the mail, so pretty excited to see how those look as well.
post #2750 of 3663 Old 06-22-2018, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
In case anyone is interested, here's the settings I settled on with my UHD60 on a matte white 1.1 gain screen (Silver Ticket):

Display Mode: HDR
Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode Standard
Brightness: 0
Color: 19
Gamma: 1.8
Dynamic Black: Off (Was On before, but got better results with it off)
Brilliant Color: 8 (Was 2 before, but found I could crank it safely up to 8 with Dynamic Black off)
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:

I noted that Gamma of 1.8 coupled with Brilliant Color 8 and dynamic black off gave me the best overall affect. Brilliant Color above 2 with dynamic black on and brilliant color above 8 with dynamic black off blows out whites in some scenes for me (mostly sky scenes with white clouds), so scaling it back to 8 with dynamic black off gave me good colors and light without any over saturation. I used the above setting to watch a 4K HDR blu ray, then to watch The Tick on Amazon Prime, and then to watch The Hunt on Netflix, and all had amazing color, clarity, good skin tones and overall just an eye popping image, so this is my go to setting so far (though I may need to adjust/tweak depending on the source material).

Update: I'm back to Brilliant Color 2 and Dynamic Black on. Just feels slightly better to me from an overall perspective, but again, I may flip flop on these settings based on source.
m0j0... Nice work. I applied your settings to my uhd60 and the difference very noticeable from Default HDR.
post #2751 of 3663 Old 06-22-2018, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjeman View Post
m0j0... Nice work. I applied your settings to my uhd60 and the difference very noticeable from Default HDR.
Great to hear it! Enjoy!
post #2752 of 3663 Old 06-22-2018, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
will give these setting an try. Right now iam projecting onto an white wall but will be building my screen here in the next few weeks.
post #2753 of 3663 Old 06-22-2018, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FN2817 View Post
will give these setting an try. Right now iam projecting onto an white wall but will be building my screen here in the next few weeks.

Good luck! You may have to adjust things a bit to take in to account the wall vs. screen, but I'm sure you can get it to your liking in no time! And good luck building your screen. Sounds like a fun project!
post #2754 of 3663 Old 06-25-2018, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Good luck! You may have to adjust things a bit to take in to account the wall vs. screen, but I'm sure you can get it to your liking in no time! And good luck building your screen. Sounds like a fun project!
I've been using these HDR settings on a Stewart GrayHawk 0.9 gain screen and it's looking good. Thanks.
m0j0 likes this.
post #2755 of 3663 Old 06-25-2018, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone have a similar recommended settings list for non HDR material I could try out?
post #2756 of 3663 Old 06-25-2018, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroCat View Post
Does anyone have a similar recommended settings list for non HDR material I could try out?

I'm still trying to dial in a good non HDR setup based on Cinema display mode. I will post later once I feel good about the results.
post #2757 of 3663 Old 06-25-2018, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey can any one recommend a 4k av receiver that works well with the UHD 60 and Panasonic ub900.

thanks.
post #2758 of 3663 Old 06-25-2018, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, here's my settings for watching non HDR content that I have settled on for now:

Display Mode: Cinema
Dynamic Range: HDR Auto / HDR Picture Mode Standard (you can leave it on Auto or just turn HDR to the off setting)
Brightness: 0 (Set to 0 for Tomb Raider, -1 or -2 for Frozen, 1 for Jumanji, so you may need to adjust based on content)
Color: 3
Gamma: 2.2
Dynamic Black: On
Brilliant Color: 2
RGB Gain/Bias Settings:

Last edited by m0j0; 06-26-2018 at 10:41 AM.
post #2759 of 3663 Old 06-26-2018, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Guys how is gaming with PS4 at optoma uhd 65?All reviewers are talking about the high input latency and they are right but I will not play online fps games like cod..I will play mostly games like god of war etc..Some says it will affect some says it does not..I m confused so can you write your opinions?
post #2760 of 3663 Old 06-26-2018, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchin View Post
Guys how is gaming with PS4 at optoma uhd 65?All reviewers are talking about the high input latency and they are right but I will not play online fps games like cod..I will play mostly games like god of war etc..Some says it will affect some says it does not..I m confused so can you write your opinions?
I have my UHD65 running to a PC on which I play all sorts of games -- BF1, COD, Skyrim, ESO, Assassin's Creed Origins, OSRS, etc. I also play online, and I've not been able to tell any lag besides possible network latency that would affect my ability to play online. I've probably put around ~800 hours into my 65 so far, and I've never sat down playing any game thinking about visual latency. Just my $0.02.. someone else may have a different experience, but I use my projector for 80% games, 20% Netflix, and it's great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page