Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4551Likes

post #2791 of 3663 Old 07-19-2018, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3663 Old 07-19-2018, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipLe View Post
Hi Verworren,
Did you enable HDR for BF1, Assassin's Creed Origins when you play them on PC with UHD65 ? If yes, could please share how to configure your projector. I tried Hitman with HDR but it is too dark and look terrible. If found that SDR is better when play everything on PC (windows 10 v1803).
Yeah. I did enable HDR in the game settings. A black HDR box should pop up in the corner of your screen whenever you start the game. You may need to adjust the gamma settings in the game if it's running in HDR mode and still too dark. Hope this helps!
post #2793 of 3663 Old 07-19-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verworren View Post
Yeah. I did enable HDR in the game settings. A black HDR box should pop up in the corner of your screen whenever you start the game. You may need to adjust the gamma settings in the game if it's running in HDR mode and still too dark. Hope this helps!
Thanks Verworren so much. Let I try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2794 of 3663 Old 07-19-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 2303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster316x View Post

This might work for 1080p signal, but probably not going to work for 4k material. You're going to need to run cables.
post #2795 of 3663 Old 07-20-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Been watching a lot of 4k movies on this projector over the past week and a half. So far, the best ones, in terms of really showing off the 4K capabilities of this projector, have been Pacific Rim, X-Men Apocalypse and the Fate of the Furious. Still got quite a bit more to go through. Going to watch the Batman movies next probably, and just got The Matrix and Gladiator in the mail, so pretty excited to see how those look as well.
So, here’s my top demo 4K movies currently:

The Great Wall
Passengers
Pacific Rim
Pacific Rim Uprising
Transformers The Last Knight
Lucy
Black Panther
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
X-Men Apocalypse
Ready Player One
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Power Rangers

Last edited by m0j0; 08-13-2018 at 01:49 PM.
post #2796 of 3663 Old 07-20-2018, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Okay I ordered the UHD60 for $1800 it should arrive in 3-4 days. Plus I bought the ceiling mount for $70.

Now I need a screen. Will a cheap screen look good?

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/v...white/11614782

Only $46.

Or should I get an expensive fixed frame?

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/e...0-1-0/10194920
post #2797 of 3663 Old 07-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 255
another great 4k demo UHD movie disc is: Transformers 5: Last Knight. The film you can take it or leave it; but wow the full-frame IMAX 4K HDR imagery ; on a uhd60; it looks amazing! my eyes are amazed watching it. Its too bad the other transformer 4K UHD discs did not feature the IMAX 4K imagery from 2,3,4 like 5 does.
post #2798 of 3663 Old 07-20-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2model3 View Post
another great 4k demo UHD movie disc is: Transformers 5: Last Knight. The film you can take it or leave it; but wow the full-frame IMAX 4K HDR imagery ; on a uhd60; it looks amazing! my eyes are amazed watching it. Its too bad the other transformer 4K UHD discs did not feature the IMAX 4K imagery from 2,3,4 like 5 does.
Thanks for the tip! I will add it to the list!
am2model3 likes this.
post #2799 of 3663 Old 07-20-2018, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster316x View Post
Okay I ordered the UHD60 for $1800 it should arrive in 3-4 days. Plus I bought the ceiling mount for $70.

Now I need a screen. Will a cheap screen look good?

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/v...white/11614782

Only $46.

Or should I get an expensive fixed frame?

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/e...0-1-0/10194920
I highly recommend spending the money on a decent fixed frame screen. I bought a silver ticket for 240 ish and it’s been great!
post #2800 of 3663 Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvshyamk View Post
hello guys,

I initially ordered UHD 65 for $2200. as a nervous buyer that I am, changed it to UHD 51A at the last moment thinking i could put in the $500 on a screen.

now I am again having second thoughts.
Please do let me know UHD 65 Vs UHD 51A.
i am expected to get my projector this week. I can always call them and change my order.

Second: i am planning 135inch screen. i am looking at silver ticket Vs elite screens. i use in my basement, which can be kept dark. ceiling is white. Choose grey with 1.0 gain or Cinewhite matte???
I would recommend the matte white if you have good light control.
post #2801 of 3663 Old 07-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Why are these projectors so hard to calibrate? I realize it is two different technologies but I've calibrated 3 LCD televisions with Calman and a C-6 in the time its taken to get the UHD65 close to what I would loosely call a calibration.

Projectorreviews.com shows adjusting an 11 point grayscale but I can't find anything other than gain/bias with a 2 point scale. Is that something that changed with a firmware upgrade? Anyone?
Also, when adjusting the 2 point (30,80) gain (80) swings wildly with even a single click of any color adjustment. I just can't get the RGB to even out on 80.
The color gamut took some work but most everything except Green and White (100) are in the target areas. White I attribute to clipping so I'm ok with that but Green is ridiculous!
Green Hue will not budge. Chroma and Luminance are right on target but the best I could do with Hue is a DeltaE of 9. Overall, the best I could do with Green is a DeltaE of 3.8.

Anyone from Spectracal want to chime in it would be appreciated.
post #2802 of 3663 Old 07-22-2018, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
You will be happy with Silver Ticket screens, they are excellent! As for the 51A vs. the 65, it just depends. The 51A should be better for gaming, but may not have the deepest black levels in movies or colors as accurate as the 65. I have the 60 and I'm very happy with the it overall, and I have been able to tweak the colors and black levels to my liking, but it takes a little research. However, I sometimes wish for slightly better black levels, so if you can afford the 65, I would still recommend it, but that's just one persons recommendation. Either way, you're going to be very happy with one of these two units.
I ended up buying silver ticket grey screen, 1.0 gain 135".
I also ordered samples for cine grey/3d/5d. lets see the difference. I'll post a video on the differences.

UHD51A, i'll start experimenting. if its bothersome or issues with screen black levels, details and most importantly refresh rate. I will end up buying an expensive sony. As this is my first big investment, I want to do it right.
post #2803 of 3663 Old 07-22-2018, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjlaplante View Post
Really glad I was able to find this forum and can relate to the problems everyone seems to have with HDR being too dark. Here are the things I have come away with and a thing or two I need to ask for help or confirmation on.

With the calibration I've done on my UHD65 using the Calman Enthusiast software and a C-6 colorimeter, HDR (ON) using my Sony X-700 is unwatchable. The general consensus is that the authoring of the discs combined with low nit output of projectors in general is causing our grief. Now, I purchased this equipment to enjoy the perceived upgrade over my beloved Benq W1070 and overall I must say that I'm not disappointed even using SDR. Using HDR on such movies as Black Panther and Pacific Rim (original) had me wanting to pull what is left of my hair out. However, after turning the HDR off on the Sony the difference was amazing. So, I can deal with no HDR because my color/gray scale levels are set to spec with Calman. Hope this helps.

Now, on to problems I can't seem to solve. I use a 25' redmere active HDMI cable to connect the UHD65 to my Onkyo receiver. I am able to watch a 4k disk on HDMI 1(1.4) down converted to 1080p and HDMI 2(2.2) but as far as the HDMI 2 goes that's all I can do is watch a disk. HDMI 2 will not "find a source" when the on screen home menu of the Sony is supposed to be showing and my Directv box is nothing but static. Dark screen and "searching for source" until I hit the play button on the Sony and the "found source" and resolution message comes on, then I get a picture (of the disk menu screen). Directv still does nothing regardless on that port. I have a 25ft HDMI fiber optic cable on order I'm hoping can help, but not sure.

Any input would be appreciated.
'
Have you tried running only HDMI 2.0 cables? I had a very similar problem regarding HDMI 2. I was running a combination of HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 cables into my AVR and the projector couldn't find the source. I switched everything to 2.0 cables and now everything works perfectly.
post #2804 of 3663 Old 07-22-2018, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkim View Post
Have you tried running only HDMI 2.0 cables? I had a very similar problem regarding HDMI 2. I was running a combination of HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 cables into my AVR and the projector couldn't find the source. I switched everything to 2.0 cables and now everything works perfectly.
Simple solution was to swap to an HDMI over fiber optic cable. No troubles.
post #2805 of 3663 Old 07-23-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What’s been the most difficult 4K movie to tweak to get it looking right for you? Mine has been Star Wars The Last Jedi. I’ve changed all kinds of settings over and over looking for that perfect picture, but it never seems quite right.
Jicanew likes this.
post #2806 of 3663 Old 07-25-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
You can see other Transformers with Chrome 4:4:4 on PC. It look very good too.
post #2807 of 3663 Old 07-25-2018, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

the last jedi 4K uhd disc; ok, i have no idea what is up; but a lot of disney's 4K UHD movie discs have been lackluster to stay the least. Cars3 I was expecting some sharp imagery; but man its mediocre.

Besides imagery; the 7.1.4 atmos tracks disney has put out also seem to be 'lacking' height sound information; i turn on my upmixer many times instead.

I know many films are 2K DI; but many of these UHDs from Disney are just lacking.

I'm hoping the Avengers1,2,3 release coming aug 14 will be good. preordered at bb.

Last Jedi 4K release; supposedly this film is a 4K DI for the home release; but man; the way it was shot its as if there was no sharpness focus and it looks at times dark/blurrier than even 35mm. If you are tweaking for a good picture; don't worry; always remember sometimes the movie "source" is what it is; and this one is disappointing and downright bad!

So don't lose any sleep over it! Just Disney letting us down. (see spare change's last jedi 4K review on youtube for confirmation; this guy reviews the 4K discs and tells you how the audio/video quality like it is; good or bad straight up)

Take a watch with Transformers5:LastKnight (take it or leave it film) but wow, the 4K HDR imagery (despite 2K DI) is amazing! It just goes to show 2K DIs on 4K UHD can look amazing and better than mediocre (4K DI last jedi) and its all about the source and who does the quality control in the source mastering to home release.
post #2808 of 3663 Old 07-25-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the last jedi 4K uhd disc; ok, i have no idea what is up; but a lot of disney's 4K UHD movie discs have been lackluster to stay the least. Cars3 I was expecting some sharp imagery; but man its mediocre.

Besides imagery; the 7.1.4 atmos tracks disney has put out also seem to be 'lacking' height sound information; i turn on my upmixer many times instead.

I know many films are 2K DI; but many of these UHDs from Disney are just lacking.

I'm hoping the Avengers1,2,3 release coming aug 14 will be good. preordered at bb.

Last Jedi 4K release; supposedly this film is a 4K DI for the home release; but man; the way it was shot its as if there was no sharpness focus and it looks at times dark/blurrier than even 35mm. If you are tweaking for a good picture; don't worry; always remember sometimes the movie "source" is what it is; and this one is disappointing and downright bad!

So don't lose any sleep over it! Just Disney letting us down. (see spare change's last jedi 4K review on youtube for confirmation; this guy reviews the 4K discs and tells you how the audio/video quality like it is; good or bad straight up)

Take a watch with Transformers5:LastKnight (take it or leave it film) but wow, the 4K HDR imagery (despite 2K DI) is amazing! It just goes to show 2K DIs on 4K UHD can look amazing and better than mediocre (4K DI last jedi) and its all about the source and who does the quality control in the source mastering to home release.

Thanks for the insight. I ordered Transformers Last Knight 4k blu ray and should get it this week, so looking forward to checking it out on the UHD60!
am2model3 likes this.
post #2809 of 3663 Old 07-25-2018, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjlaplante View Post
Why are these projectors so hard to calibrate? I realize it is two different technologies but I've calibrated 3 LCD televisions with Calman and a C-6 in the time its taken to get the UHD65 close to what I would loosely call a calibration.

Projectorreviews.com shows adjusting an 11 point grayscale but I can't find anything other than gain/bias with a 2 point scale. Is that something that changed with a firmware upgrade? Anyone?

Also, when adjusting the 2 point (30,80) gain (80) swings wildly with even a single click of any color adjustment. I just can't get the RGB to even out on 80.

The color gamut took some work but most everything except Green and White (100) are in the target areas. White I attribute to clipping so I'm ok with that but Green is ridiculous!

Green Hue will not budge. Chroma and Luminance are right on target but the best I could do with Hue is a DeltaE of 9. Overall, the best I could do with Green is a DeltaE of 3.8.

Anyone from Spectracal want to chime in it would be appreciated.

Welcome to the club!

I know Brilliant Color setting messes with the readings and causes it to swing wildly. If you're doing HDR 4K use a setting between 8-10. If SDR HD then I use zero but you may be able to use up to 2-3.

Another thing I noticed is DO NOT try to get chroma gains (RGBCYM) correct for HDR. It will result in solarization, posterization and banding. Just concentrate on the saturation and hue initially then after that's good, maybe try to judiciously bring in some gains, but make sure to watch the peaks as you do it. I notice he issues in things like bright skies and clouds first.

You're correct there is no 11 point greyscale so you have to use 2 point, unless you have a video processor like the Lumagen or something. One client of mine mentioned going back and forth for 15 hours until he got them all looking fairly decent measurements wise across all 11, but then when viewing actual material it looked really bad, so my advice is to use maybe 20/100 or 30/80 and get those as best you can and then just let the projector do its thing. I think they designed it with all that processing in mind and you'll drive yourself batty trying to overcome that.

I know a lot of this goes against the grain of normal LCD, LCoS, etc. type projectors but once you get past that and let it roll it'll turn out pretty nice. I've noticed all these "4K" DLPs act quite similar, from BenQ to Optoma to Vivitek.
post #2810 of 3663 Old 07-27-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. I ordered Transformers Last Knight 4k blu ray and should get it this week, so looking forward to checking it out on the UHD60!
Quote:

Watched Transformers Last Knight, and wow, it is excellent on the UHD60! Definitely one of the top 5 I have seen in terms of detail / image quality so far! Definitely a great demo disc!
am2model3 likes this.
post #2811 of 3663 Old 07-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Awesome! Great demo movie disc 4k!
post #2812 of 3663 Old 07-30-2018, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was watching Ender's Game in 4k on my UHD60 using my Panasonic UB900 to play the disc. I had read somewhere that they might have messed up the black levels or chroma or something on the master disc, so I went in kinda looking for something to be off. I did feel like the black levels weren't quite right, so I did some playing around and discovered something I didn't know much about that helped me get a great picture dialed in for this movie! That setting is BLACK GAMMA and it's on one of the sub menus on the Panasonic UB900 (under Luminance I think, though I can't recall now). I dropped black gamma down to about -8 and the black levels greatly improved for this movie! I have not tried changing this on any other movies, but if I run into issues with black levels again with some other movie, I know I have another setting to play with to try and improve the picture. Just FYI, I had my UHD60 set to a gamma of 1.8 and dynamic black set to On, with Brilliant Color set to 3.

Update: Played around with Black Gamma setting for Star Wars The Last Jedi and got good results. I ended up using a value of +3 and the black levels / contrast were the best I've seen this movie look on my screen so far...
am2model3 likes this.

Last edited by m0j0; 07-31-2018 at 09:59 AM.
post #2813 of 3663 Old 08-01-2018, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Not sure if anyone else got a letter in the mail yet, but Optoma's site was breached on June 26, 2018.

This resulted in a loss of customer data including:
Payment information
First and last name
Mailing address
Email adress
Telephone number

If you didn't buy your projector from Optoma directly or register your projector on their website whenever you bought it, then you more than likely can disregard.

I did the latter (registered my projector for the warranty), so they got some of my personal information, but no payment information.

I'll attach the images of the letter for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.png
Views:	62
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	2435694   Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).png
Views:	45
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	2435696   Click image for larger version

Name:	download (2).png
Views:	40
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	2435698  
3DSammy likes this.
post #2814 of 3663 Old 08-01-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verworren View Post
Not sure if anyone else got a letter in the mail yet, but Optoma's site was breached on June 26, 2018.

This resulted in a loss of customer data including:
Payment information
First and last name
Mailing address
Email adress
Telephone number

If you didn't buy your projector from Optoma directly or register your projector on their website whenever you bought it, then you more than likely can disregard.

I did the latter (registered my projector for the warranty), so they got some of my personal information, but no payment information.

I'll attach the images of the letter for reference.

Thanks for the heads up!
post #2815 of 3663 Old 08-01-2018, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Interested in knowing how many saveable user profiles (or customizable profiles) there are for this projector. Being a long time Optoma owner, one of my biggest gripes is that there is typically only one saveable user profile in their products. That doesn't work for all the video sources we have today (online streaming, video gaming, Blu Ray, etc.).

HTPC: Intel NUC (DC53427HYE) running OpenELEC/Win7 Dual Boot
Projector: Optoma HD131Xe
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
Screen: Elite Spectrum Electric 125"
Media Server: NAS4Free Core 2 Quad 2.40GHz

Last edited by niggenz; 08-01-2018 at 11:14 PM.
post #2816 of 3663 Old 08-03-2018, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Did anybody played far cry 5 on Xbox one x and uhd 65 ? The hdr is terrible. Mine is too bright even if I lower the hdr on servings . Other hdr games are fine.
post #2817 of 3663 Old 08-07-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnips View Post
Has anybody figured out exactly what 'fimware' means in the wild world of Texas Instruments DLP powered projectors?

I got a new lamp with my update to C13, anybody know of anything else? Title icon means "New Lamp", not "Eureka!"
Hi Parsnips,

How are you? Can I ask you questions about projector with firmware C13 ?

1. Can you please 3D movie ?
2. HDR mode is improve better before you upgrade ?
3. Can you enable run 4:4:4 4k 60hz from PC with cable HDMI 2.1 ?

Best Regards
post #2818 of 3663 Old 08-07-2018, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Hi Parsnips,

How are you? Can I ask you questions about projector with firmware C13 ?

1. Can you please 3D movie ?
2. HDR mode is improve better before you upgrade ?
3. Can you enable run 4:4:4 4k 60hz from PC with cable HDMI 2.1 ?

Best Regards
1. Sorry, no 3D as far as I can tell.

2. HDR is a LOT better, as in, it barely worked before and now it does. Get the update from C9 to C13 or higher just for HDR.

3. Too complicated for my brain, sorry
post #2819 of 3663 Old 08-08-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnips View Post
1. Sorry, no 3D as far as I can tell.

2. HDR is a LOT better, as in, it barely worked before and now it does. Get the update from C9 to C13 or higher just for HDR.

3. Too complicated for my brain, sorry
Thanks Parsnips so much. About number 3 question, I mean that firmware C13 support HDMI 2.1 or not ^_^. I think I have answer for myself too.
About HDR mode, Could you please provide HDR spec when you time ? May be I can change my HDR to match with your number without send to RMA. I do appreciate to your help and have a nice day ^_^

Best Regards

Phillip
post #2820 of 3663 Old 08-08-2018, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Thanks Parsnips so much. About number 3 question, I mean that firmware C13 support HDMI 2.1 or not ^_^. I think I have answer for myself too.
About HDR mode, Could you please provide t HDR spec when you time ? May be I can change my HDR to match with your number without send to RMA. I do appreciate to your help and have a nice day ^_^

Best Regards

Phillip
Don't have any special settings for HDR, sorry, with C13 it works with the defaults whereas with C9 it didn't work no matter what I tried. It really needs the 'firmware' fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page