Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4523Likes

post #2851 of 3427 Old 08-21-2018, 10:54 AM
f42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Guys. I have had my UHD60 (refurbished) for about 3 months and my HDMI 2 has suddenly stopped working. Working one day and dead the next. HDMI 1 is still working but obviously I can now no longer use 4K or HDR content. Has anyone come up with a DIY fix for this? Maybe some steps to try? Or do I need to bit the bullet and move ahead with an RMA from Optoma? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 3427 Old 08-21-2018, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f42 View Post
Hi Guys. I have had my UHD60 (refurbished) for about 3 months and my HDMI 2 has suddenly stopped working. Working one day and dead the next. HDMI 1 is still working but obviously I can now no longer use 4K or HDR content. Has anyone come up with a DIY fix for this? Maybe some steps to try? Or do I need to bit the bullet and move ahead with an RMA from Optoma? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!
DIY may be not help. I think you should RMA with Optoma.
post #2853 of 3427 Old 08-22-2018, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by f42 View Post
Actually, you can reset the HDMI Port. It was discussed in this thread at some point

Optoma UHD65, Yamaha RX-A2070, 3 x Totem Tribe II, 2 x Totem Tribe I, 2 x SVS PB2000, 2 x SVS Prime Elevations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2854 of 3427 Old 08-22-2018, 05:43 AM
f42

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelton43 View Post
Actually, you can reset the HDMI Port. It was discussed in this thread at some point
Actually, yes, I found that thread and tried it. It would not reset back to normal. It would just stay on the last step (2 red flashing lights with 1 purple) and never go back to ready.

I have initiated an RMA. Thanks for the help!
post #2855 of 3427 Old 08-22-2018, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would like to control my UHD 60 from my iOS phone.
The Optoma rep suggested I could use the RS-232 or LAN with a controller, but what reasonably priced controllers might any of you suggest?

I use Simple Control for all my audio equipment and am very satisfied with it but have not yet sprung for their IR Blasters?
post #2856 of 3427 Old 08-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabagboy View Post
I would like to control my UHD 60 from my iOS phone.

The Optoma rep suggested I could use the RS-232 or LAN with a controller, but what reasonably priced controllers might any of you suggest?

I use Simple Control for all my audio equipment and am very satisfied with it but have not yet sprung for their IR Blasters?

Logitech Harmony Hub comes with an iOS app.
post #2857 of 3427 Old 08-24-2018, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Screen Material

I own an UHD65 since almost 1 year with very very good results.
Now, I´m looking for upgrade the pojection screen to try to get the best of this great projector.

Someone of you have tried screen with white (I have white), gray, silver, high contrast?
If so, can you share your experience on this?

My first option is Silver Ticket Screen

Thank´s in advance.
RM

Oppo UDP-203 - Receiver Denon X4300H - Projector Optoma UHD65 - Projection Screen Elite Screen Mate White 150" gain 1.1
5 Channels Amplifier Emotiva XPA-5 - NAS Qnap 412 4x3TB Disks.
JBL Synthesis : LS80, LS Central, Subwoofer 1 x HSU VTF-15H MK2 setup for ATMOS 7.2.4
post #2858 of 3427 Old 08-24-2018, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most of the time when I switch from a movie title screen, or Netflix to pick a show, or hit “play movie” on my 4K blu-ray player, etc., my Optoma screen blacks out while the music starts and the title begins playing and in the bottom right corner shows “HDMI2/MHL Searching” for a few seconds, then says “Source found” and a couple seconds locks on and shows the content.

I don’t know if there’s a setting I need to switch, or if this is a UHD60 thing, or an Onkyo thing (TX-SR373), or a Blu-ray thing (Samsung UBD-M9500)

Can anyone tell me how to stop it from going into a blank screen search pattern? I’m able to playback UHD / HDR content etc so it seems to be otherwise functioning.

Also - bonus question - background banding in skylines in particular is pretty noticeable - any ideas where this might be originating? Happens on planet earth 2 4K disc and Netflix and Vudu... if you can start me in the right direction (I’m assuming it’s a compression or conversion thing but would be nice to remedy.)
post #2859 of 3427 Old 08-25-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqneon View Post
Most of the time when I switch from a movie title screen, or Netflix to pick a show, or hit “play movie” on my 4K blu-ray player, etc., my Optoma screen blacks out while the music starts and the title begins playing and in the bottom right corner shows “HDMI2/MHL Searching” for a few seconds, then says “Source found” and a couple seconds locks on and shows the content.

I don’t know if there’s a setting I need to switch, or if this is a UHD60 thing, or an Onkyo thing (TX-SR373), or a Blu-ray thing (Samsung UBD-M9500)

Can anyone tell me how to stop it from going into a blank screen search pattern? I’m able to playback UHD / HDR content etc so it seems to be otherwise functioning.

Also - bonus question - background banding in skylines in particular is pretty noticeable - any ideas where this might be originating? Happens on planet earth 2 4K disc and Netflix and Vudu... if you can start me in the right direction (I’m assuming it’s a compression or conversion thing but would be nice to remedy.)

The screen blanking out for a few seconds is normal at the beginning. I think the mirrors go through some sort of initialization/configuration to prepare to display the content or something (like a boot up of some sort).

There's probably several threads in here about banding. I have a different blu-ray player (Panasonic BD900) and had to play with the settings to get rid of it. I think a setting of 4:2:2 at 10 bit did the trick for me, but not sure what your options are with the player you have.
post #2860 of 3427 Old 08-25-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerlano View Post
Now, I´m looking for upgrade the pojection screen to try to get the best of this great projector.

Someone of you have tried screen with white (I have white), gray, silver, high contrast?

Thank´s in advance.
RM
You can't go wrong with a Silver Ticket screen. I read a few others who had grey screen that switched to white and they were happier with the white. I went with white and I am happy with it as well. However, I'm sure there are others who went with grey screen and are happy with it as well, so it really comes down to preference. I think for me, I have light controlled situation and wanted maximum brightness and best color saturation so matte white seemed to meet my needs best.
post #2861 of 3427 Old 08-25-2018, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks ! It makes noise while it’s happening so I imagine it’s physically doing something. I just wish it wasn’t blanking out from each title screen. I end up hearing the cool intro instead of watching and hearing it. Stinks for Disney movies with the kids who love to watch the intro castle scenes.

The screen blanking out for a few seconds is normal at the beginning. I think the mirrors go through some sort of initialization/configuration to prepare to display the content or something (like a boot up of some sort).

There's probably several threads in here about banding. I have a different blu-ray player (Panasonic BD900) and had to play with the settings to get rid of it. I think a setting of 4:2:2 at 10 bit did the trick for me, but not sure what your options are with the player you have.[/QUOTE]
post #2862 of 3427 Old 08-25-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
You can't go wrong with a Silver Ticket screen. I read a few others who had grey screen that switched to white and they were happier with the white. I went with white and I am happy with it as well. However, I'm sure there are others who went with grey screen and are happy with it as well, so it really comes down to preference. I think for me, I have light controlled situation and wanted maximum brightness and best color saturation so matte white seemed to meet my needs best.
Thank you @m0j0 , I hope somebody else can share experiences too.

Oppo UDP-203 - Receiver Denon X4300H - Projector Optoma UHD65 - Projection Screen Elite Screen Mate White 150" gain 1.1
JBL Synthesis : LS80, LS Central, Subwoofer 1 x HSU VTF-15H MK2 setup for ATMOS 7.2.4
post #2863 of 3427 Old 08-26-2018, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Thank´s in advance.

RM

I have the the Silver Ticket High Contrast Grey with a UHD60. The screen is impressive! To be honest it looks cheap when you open the box. The screen look like a rubber shower mat. Then when you throw an image on it, your jaw drops. Blacks look good by FPD standards. You don’t get glow like I see with white and silver screen. It also does a decent job of rejecting ambient light. I don’t have great light control in my theater yet (installing a pocket door to solve the problem). I did have two sticky spots on the screen from the factory but they clean away with alcohol.

I was able to construct the screen by myself with ease and hanging wasn’t bad either. Most people don’t anchor the bottom, I actually had to use legos to push out the bottom left corner of the screen to get a more square image.

I would recommend this screen highly.
rmerlano likes this.

anseK®

Denon AVR-8500H | Optoma UHD60 | Xbox One X | AppleTV 4K
SVS Ultra Towers | SVS Ultra Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS Prime Elevation | SVS PB16 Ultra
post #2864 of 3427 Old 08-26-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANSEK View Post
I have the the Silver Ticket High Contrast Grey with a UHD60. The screen is impressive! To be honest it looks cheap when you open the box. The screen look like a rubber shower mat. Then when you throw an image on it, your jaw drops. Blacks look good by FPD standards. You don’t get glow like I see with white and silver screen. It also does a decent job of rejecting ambient light. I don’t have great light control in my theater yet (installing a pocket door to solve the problem). I did have two sticky spots on the screen from the factory but they clean away with alcohol.

I was able to construct the screen by myself with ease and hanging wasn’t bad either. Most people don’t anchor the bottom, I actually had to use legos to push out the bottom left corner of the screen to get a more square image.

I would recommend this screen highly.

Good to know your xperience ANSEK.
One question, the Silver Ticket screen comes with some accesorios to anchor the screen?
I haven’t Sean those un the product description.
Thank you

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

post #2865 of 3427 Old 08-27-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
One question, the Silver Ticket screen comes with some accesorios to anchor the screen?
Thank you

I found more information, and the screen comes with 4 anchors!

I requested fabric samples from Silver Ticket to test in my environment the options and move forward (if the case) with the one that improve my video experience.

Thank you!

post #2866 of 3427 Old 08-29-2018, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Considering the 65 and someone on another forum mentioned this pj to consider:

BenQ HT8050

It's selling for couple $100 more as a refurb.

Thoughts on how they stack up?

No games, just movies. Very good light controlled room. Probably use a 135" display.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.

Last edited by DavidinGA; 08-29-2018 at 07:26 PM.
post #2867 of 3427 Old 08-29-2018, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you

Quote:
I found more information, and the screen comes with 4 anchors!

I requested fabric samples from Silver Ticket to test in my environment the options and move forward (if the case) with the one that improve my video experience.

Thank you!

Yes. It does come with four mounts. The screen is surprisingly light given its size.

anseK®

SVS Ultra Towers | SVS Ultra Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS Prime Elevation | SVS PB16 Ultra
post #2868 of 3427 Old 08-31-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Considering the 65 and someone on another forum mentioned this pj to consider:

BenQ HT8050

It's selling for couple $100 more as a refurb.

Thoughts on how they stack up?

No games, just movies. Very good light controlled room. Probably use a 135" display.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
If you can afford the BenQ HT8050, then from what I've read and heard, that would be your best choice.
post #2869 of 3427 Old 08-31-2018, 07:19 PM
DTI

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just hooked this projector up uhd65 it seems to take so long to find the source keeps flashing searching then after 30 seconds or more says found source. I have a Panasonic ub900 hdmi 2.0 connected to Yamaha 3060 receiver with a 35 ft hdmi 2.0 /2.2 hdcp going to the uhd65 and still the same tried two different hdmi cables then when I try to go into the UB900 main settings nothing will show on the projector screen anyone know of a fix, thanks

DIY dust box / hush box / ceiling light... http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...633/7qBblE.jpg
post #2870 of 3427 Old 09-02-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTI View Post
Just hooked this projector up uhd65 it seems to take so long to find the source keeps flashing searching then after 30 seconds or more says found source. I have a Panasonic ub900 hdmi 2.0 connected to Yamaha 3060 receiver with a 35 ft hdmi 2.0 /2.2 hdcp going to the uhd65 and still the same tried two different hdmi cables then when I try to go into the UB900 main settings nothing will show on the projector screen anyone know of a fix, thanks

I think I had a similar issue when trying to go through and HDMI switch, which I think ended up being a problem with the switch not being able to handle 4:2:2 at 10 bit or something. Try checking the Yamaha and see if there is the option to set the HDMI to enhanced or something like that to allow for the higher color settings. And make sure on the UB900 you have it set to prefer 10 bit instead of 12 bit.
post #2871 of 3427 Old 09-02-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, I finally got around to trying to hook up my Xbox One S to the UHD60. I have a Denon AVR-S730H and my Panasonic UB900 works great through the AV Receiver to the UHD60 (full HDR). However, my Xbox One can do 4k UHD but is not allowing me to set HDR, even though the auto detect settings say it should work for HDR. It seems as though the UHD60 is not advertising the color settings properly to the Xbox One through the AV Receiver. I have checked and verified the Denon is set to Enhanced under HDMI settings and I have swapped out cables with ones that I know work for HDR (the one my UB900 uses). If I connect the Xbox One directly to the UHD60, it detects 4K HDR no problem. Any suggestions or ideas?
post #2872 of 3427 Old 09-03-2018, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saadooness View Post
I received my Optoma Uhd60 about 2 weeks back and I am noticing that the projector is flickering on ECO mode and also on Dynamic Black mode. The flickering is getting worse day by day (light flickering dim to bright while screen is paused or slow frame). I tried multiple power sources to evaluate if it is unstable power provided to the unit but the flickering was still obvious. I also was told that keeping the lamp mode on BRIGHT for a few hours could help resolve the flicker but again after using the projector for 20 hours in BRIGHT mode when I switch back to ECO the flickering is still obvious. Is this a common issue?

Below is the summary of my setup:

HDMI cable is a DTEC 18gbps cable 50ft:?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HI...0L&ref=plSrch#

Source is the Nvidia shield Pro, connected directly to the projector, no receiver is used.?

HDMI PORT I am connected to is the HDmi 2, which supports 18gbps.?

The lamp mode running on ECO power brightness is causing flickering, if I use BRIGHT power mode the flickering is not visible. I tried using DYNAMIC BLACK on both modes ECO and BRIGHT and the flickering is more severe and very obvious. The flickering starts very mildly then after 15 mins of use the flickering becomes more and more severe.?

I am currently only able to use the projector on BRIGHT lamp power mode with dynamic black mode switched Off.?

I have tried to resolve the flickering by doing the following:

- connecting to another power source / power socket

- keeping the projector on BRIGHT lamp mode for over 20 hours

- changing HDmi cable to a shorter length, from 50ft to 10ft.

All the above failed to resolve the issue.?Anyone else facing this issue?
Did anyone find an answer to this? Mine is now starting to flicker more in Bright mode and Eco mode. It is driving me crazy.
post #2873 of 3427 Old 09-04-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmille View Post
Did anyone find an answer to this? Mine is now starting to flicker more in Bright mode and Eco mode. It is driving me crazy.

I always run in bright mode with Dynamic Black on, so haven't seen this issue. Did a quick search for bulb flicker issues and found this (which is not specific to the Optoma UHD but just in general with projectors / bulbs I believe):

The most common solutions I've read:

- Switch to another lamp power mode (i.e. from high to low or from low to high) for a few hours, then back to your preferred bulb mode
- Usually it is to switch from low to high, as low or eco mode is more prone to the problem
- Change picture modes and then switch back
- Get a new bulb
- Run in high power mode for the first few tens or hundred hours on a new bulb to establish solid strike points for the arc
- Then switching to low power mode the arc will be less prone to develop wandering
- Place a magnet over the lamp area, if the wandering conditions are suitable that may stabilize the arc. Do at your own risk though of causing other problems with PJ
Most of these only seem to mitigate the problem or help stop it for a while, but if a bulb is prone to it, it may be very difficult to stop
Some say that going to high lamp at the first sign can help curtail it, but if it has been going on for a long time it is likely the bulb is too damaged to get it to go away with that bulb.
JeffChap and btmille like this.
post #2874 of 3427 Old 09-04-2018, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Locked in HDR picture mode

Hey guys, Had to do an RMA on my UHD65- I did the express so they sent me a new unit. When I fire up a game on my XBOX one X it locks me into HDR mode, and all other picture modes are Grayed out. It does not give me the ability to switch to Game mode or any other mode. Anybody else experience this? Thank you
post #2875 of 3427 Old 09-06-2018, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktcoady123 View Post
Hey guys, Had to do an RMA on my UHD65- I did the express so they sent me a new unit. When I fire up a game on my XBOX one X it locks me into HDR mode, and all other picture modes are Grayed out. It does not give me the ability to switch to Game mode or any other mode. Anybody else experience this? Thank you
First when you turn on the Xbox before to fire a hdr game you put the pj in game mode and after the pj depends of the source ( hdr or not ) locked in the correct mode. In your situation in hdr mode. This happened with the c13 firmware.
Wesley Hester likes this.
post #2876 of 3427 Old 09-06-2018, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktcoady123 View Post
This is normal for newer projectors like the UHD51A and onward also.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #2877 of 3427 Old 09-06-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Ok, I finally got around to trying to hook up my Xbox One S to the UHD60. I have a Denon AVR-S730H and my Panasonic UB900 works great through the AV Receiver to the UHD60 (full HDR). However, my Xbox One can do 4k UHD but is not allowing me to set HDR, even though the auto detect settings say it should work for HDR. It seems as though the UHD60 is not advertising the color settings properly to the Xbox One through the AV Receiver. I have checked and verified the Denon is set to Enhanced under HDMI settings and I have swapped out cables with ones that I know work for HDR (the one my UB900 uses). If I connect the Xbox One directly to the UHD60, it detects 4K HDR no problem. Any suggestions or ideas?
This turned out to be nothing. Once I put in a 4K movie or game it detected and switched to HDR mode...
post #2878 of 3427 Old 09-07-2018, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post
First when you turn on the Xbox before to fire a hdr game you put the pj in game mode and after the pj depends of the source ( hdr or not ) locked in the correct mode. In your situation in hdr mode. This happened with the c13 firmware.
Thank you for the response, so this means we can only play HDR games in HDR mode now, and not game mode?
post #2879 of 3427 Old 09-07-2018, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

I'm trying to figure out how to get my UHD60 to turn on when I turn on my receiver. There is no 12V trigger in on the projector and it does not appear to support HDMI-CEC. RS-232 and LAN are not options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

anseK®

post #2880 of 3427 Old 09-07-2018, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANSEK View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to get my UHD60 to turn on when I turn on my receiver. There is no 12V trigger in on the projector and it does not appear to support HDMI-CEC. RS-232 and LAN are not options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I use a Harmony remote with a hub. Controls everything, UHD65, NAD receiver, ub900 disc player, xbox 1 x, cable set top. Well almost everything, except my basis 1400 turntable
Anh Nguyen likes this.

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
firmware , hd65 , Optoma , optoma uhd60 , uhd60 apple tv , uhd65

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page