Xiaomi Ultra Short throw laser projector - ~$1,500 USD??? - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #331 of 549 Old 03-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdans View Post
I purchased the Xiaomi Mi Laser projector two weeks ago for $1676.00 USD using a LightInTheBox coupon (Code MIPROJECTOR2 posted in gizmochina, plus $35 insured shippment). It arrived yesterday in perfect condition. It took me less than 20 minutes to find the right plug converter, install the english APK and start using it. I have been projector fan for 20+ years, dedicating a full room to my home theater using mostly RUNCO and SONY projectors. I will need to use it for longer to comment but would rate "Very satisfied" my initial experience.

Need your help on one topic: My wife loves the TiVO (roamio) remote and the Xioami uses a bluetooth remote, so she will dislike having two remotes. Can someone suggest a combination of hardware/software that can allow me to control the projector from the TiVO another Universal/IR/RF remote such as the Harmony?. Are you aware of any way to send on/off/volume commands either via bluetooth or wifi (Xioami has an app that does this) using Amazon Alexa voice commands?

The Android experts might have some ideas...

Thank you.
Where do you apply the coupon code? Added to cart but I didn't see an option for adding the promotion code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 549 Old 03-03-2018, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdans View Post
I purchased the Xiaomi Mi Laser projector two weeks ago for $1676.00 USD using a LightInTheBox coupon (Code MIPROJECTOR2 posted in gizmochina, plus $35 insured shippment). It arrived yesterday in perfect condition. It took me less than 20 minutes to find the right plug converter, install the english APK and start using it. I have been projector fan for 20+ years, dedicating a full room to my home theater using mostly RUNCO and SONY projectors. I will need to use it for longer to comment but would rate "Very satisfied" my initial experience.

Need your help on one topic: My wife loves the TiVO (roamio) remote and the Xioami uses a bluetooth remote, so she will dislike having two remotes. Can someone suggest a combination of hardware/software that can allow me to control the projector from the TiVO another Universal/IR/RF remote such as the Harmony?. Are you aware of any way to send on/off/volume commands either via bluetooth or wifi (Xioami has an app that does this) using Amazon Alexa voice commands?

The Android experts might have some ideas...

Thank you.
Where do you apply the coupon code? Added to cart but I didn't see an option for adding the promotion code.
I tried the code and it expired Mar.1st but I believe they will be having another sale in a week or so I?m looking for this projector also
post #333 of 549 Old 03-04-2018, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmunawar9 View Post
hey guys just today I got my Mi Projector and I'm loving it. This is indeed an excellent projector. But here are few questions I have:

1. I'm using nVidia Shield TV 2017 and I have connected it using HDMI however in my Netflix application and Amazon Prime Video I don't see the option of UHD and HDR. Can someone tell me how to enable that? BTW in nVidia Shield YouTube app I can watch 4K videos.

2. Some how I'm not able to get keystone right and on my wall it's not 100% square. Also somehow the TOP line is not straight bottom line looks straight.

3. Any suggestion for a good launcher to install to replace stock?
I ordered my projector recently and I have this same problem. The picture is not straight. I wanted to come on here and see if this was common. The top line is horrendously warped and the picture looks wavy. I thought it was the a keystone issue, but it doesn't fix it. I am likely going to return this if a fix isn't possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 549 Old 03-04-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop10 View Post
I ordered my projector recently and I have this same problem. The picture is not straight. I wanted to come on here and see if this was common. The top line is horrendously warped and the picture looks wavy. I thought it was the a keystone issue, but it doesn't fix it. I am likely going to return this if a fix isn't possible.
Forget what I said: It's my wall that was warping the screen, drastically. I have ordered the elite short throw screen but I haven't put it up yet. I changed walls and the warp was gone. I love this projector. It is amazing. Works perfect with my Sonos Playbar and sub. The xiaomi remote works with both my Nvidia shield and Playbar without setting up anything; just worked out the box. this thing so far is worth $1750 I spent on it.
rocklee likes this.
post #335 of 549 Old 03-04-2018, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,
I get my Xiaomi projector few days ago and I really happy with it.

but now, I've got 2 questions, which i can not resolve:

1) I want to install another launcher. Which one is better? Do I need root for it? If yes, which one too use? It is scary for me to make such experiments on this device.
2) I want to mount it on the wall and found really interesting option how to do it. (sorry for the link, it i'm new here) dnp-screens.com/en/products/optical-flat-screens/dnp-laserpanel/dnp-laserpanel-executive-basic
I've wrote to this company, but I did not got the answer yet. May be you found something familiar or know how to mount it in the most compact manner?

Thank you!
post #336 of 549 Old 03-04-2018, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Google Chromcast Ultra

KDL-52Z5500, Sony HW30 3D+Darbee - MK Sound 7.2/ S-150 THX & 2 x: X12 THX /Ultra2, Onkyo BD-SP809 THX,Onkyo PR-RZ5100/PA-MC5501, Screenline Deckeneinbau 4 Formate 130 Zoll, Technisat HD S2 1TB FP, Pronto Pro 970, Vinyl: Music Hall mmf 9.1
post #337 of 549 Old 03-04-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvokka View Post
Hello,
I get my Xiaomi projector few days ago and I really happy with it.

but now, I've got 2 questions, which i can not resolve:

1) I want to install another launcher. Which one is better? Do I need root for it? If yes, which one too use? It is scary for me to make such experiments on this device.
2) I want to mount it on the wall and found really interesting option how to do it. (sorry for the link, it i'm new here) dnp-screens.com/en/products/optical-flat-screens/dnp-laserpanel/dnp-laserpanel-executive-basic
I've wrote to this company, but I did not got the answer yet. May be you found something familiar or know how to mount it in the most compact manner?

Thank you!
Watch the following video, you don't need to root it:
post #338 of 549 Old 03-04-2018, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Watch the following video, you don't need to root it:
Thank you for reply, but the problem is, that after the last update can not just install play market.
I tried to install chome or another launcher from apk, it was installed successful, but i can not open it.

so, i decided, that maybe root it mandatory for current version?

and do you know, will be ever international version of firmware?

thank you!
post #339 of 549 Old 03-04-2018, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvokka View Post
Thank you for reply, but the problem is, that after the last update can not just install play market.

I tried to install chome or another launcher from apk, it was installed successful, but i can not open it.

so, i decided, that maybe root it mandatory for current version?

and do you know, will be ever international version of firmware?

thank you!

I'm facing the similar issue. Installed MI Launcher and Kodi but both didn't run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #340 of 549 Old 03-05-2018, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,

New to the forums but have been following along for a while now. I've narrowed my search down to a few UST projectors, but am having a hard time making a decision without seeing anything in real life. For those of you who have bought the Xiaomi Mi projector, why did you choose this one? Why not Viewsonic (ls820 or PX800), or LG? Thanks!
post #341 of 549 Old 03-05-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmunawar9 View Post
I'm facing the similar issue. Installed MI Launcher and Kodi but both didn't run.

You just spent $1700.00 on a projector. Hop over to Best buy and buy an Nvidia Shield or some other media streaming. Mine works perfectly with this projector.
post #342 of 549 Old 03-05-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
You just spent $1700.00 on a projector. Hop over to Best buy and buy an Nvidia Shield or some other media streaming. Mine works perfectly with this projector.

Thanks for suggestion. I already have one nVidia Shield and Xbox one S and both connected to the projector. Was just wondering if can replace the launcher for fun

post #343 of 549 Old 03-05-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez.kj View Post
Hi Everyone,

New to the forums but have been following along for a while now. I've narrowed my search down to a few UST projectors, but am having a hard time making a decision without seeing anything in real life. For those of you who have bought the Xiaomi Mi projector, why did you choose this one? Why not Viewsonic (ls820 or PX800), or LG? Thanks!
I was in the same situation as you. I wanted the flat screen look for my condo. I was deciding between the viewsonic ls820, ls830, Optoma zh400ust, Dell 4k ultra short throw, Epson ls100.

I also wanted the appropriate screen, which you should definitely add to your setup as well: I chose the elite aeon CLR, you have the viewsonic BCP option as well. A few other options out there as well. Your screen should be specific to the short throw.

This is why I chose Xiaomi, even though I could afford any of the projectors I mentioned above (no particular order of reason):

1. Style: Xiaomi's projector is the sleekest, thinnest, non-bulking looking short throw on the market.
2. The reviews were good. And they met my expections. It's a nice projector.
3. Works well with my Sonos Playbar and Sub. The Xiaomi projector, unlike every other projector on the market, except for the $5k Dell, comes equipped with a Toslink Digital Sound Port. Made it easy to set up my Sonos System.
4. Value: I felt that for $1750.00, I would get a similar quality if not better for $1300 - $4000 less. My wife wants a second one for the bedroom now.
5. Didn't want to pay full price for a short throw that wasn't 4k. When a good 4k short throw comes out in the near future, I could put this one in the bedroom and buy a 4k that is reasonably priced, not bulky and put it in the living room. Right now, only Dell and hisense are in the 4k ust game. The price will drop in the near future.

Reasons NOT to get it:
1. No real warranty. I don't believe. 30 Days with Ebay or whoever you purchase it from
2. Everything is in Chinese. This can be easily converted and is not a real problem for me.
3. Unknown long term performance without a warranty.
4. A real 4k short throw could be around the corner. If you only want to buy one, you'd have to sell it to get a real 4k.

Last edited by pop10; 03-05-2018 at 10:23 AM.
post #344 of 549 Old 03-05-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I was in the same situation as you. I wanted the flat screen look for my condo. I was deciding between the viewsonic ls820, ls830, Optoma zh400ust, Dell 4k ultra short throw, Epson ls100.

I also wanted the appropriate screen, which you should definitely add to your setup as well: I chose the elite aeon CLR, you have the viewsonic BCP option as well. A few other options out there as well. Your screen should be specific to the short throw.

This is why I chose Xiaomi, even though I could afford any of the projectors I mentioned above (no particular order of reason):

1. Style: Xiaomi's projector is the sleekest, thinnest, non-bulking looking short throw on the market.
2. The reviews were good. And they met my expections. It's a nice projector.
3. Works well with my Sonos Playbar and Sub. The Xiaomi projector, unlike every other projector on the market, except for the $5k Dell, comes equipped with a Toslink Digital Sound Port. Made it easy to set up my Sonos System.
4. Value: I felt that for $1750.00, I would get a similar quality if not better for $1300 - $4000 less. My wife wants a second one for the bedroom now.
5. Didn't want to pay full price for a short throw that wasn't 4k. When a good 4k short throw comes out in the near future, I could put this one in the bedroom and buy a 4k that is reasonably priced, not bulky and put it in the living room. Right now, only Dell and hisense are in the 4k ust game. The price will drop in the near future.

Reasons NOT to get it:
1. No real warranty. I don't believe. 30 Days with Ebay or whoever you purchase it from
2. Everything is in Chinese. This can be easily converted and is not a real problem for me.
3. Unknown long term performance without a warranty.
4. A real 4k short throw could be around the corner. If you only want to buy one, you'd have to sell it to get a real 4k.
Wow, great thanks for the response. I am in the exact same boat as you, looking at all of those projectors. Tough call on whether to wait for a better 4k option, or just purchase this now and enjoy for the time being. Also, glad to know your wife is enjoying it! I guess my only concern now is brightness. I've read that 5000 lumens was more like 1500... do you find the projector bright enough?

Thanks again!
post #345 of 549 Old 03-05-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez.kj View Post
Wow, great thanks for the response. I am in the exact same boat as you, looking at all of those projectors. Tough call on whether to wait for a better 4k option, or just purchase this now and enjoy for the time being. Also, glad to know your wife is enjoying it! I guess my only concern now is brightness. I've read that 5000 lumens was more like 1500... do you find the projector bright enough?

Thanks again!
I feel like it could be a little brighter. I turned the brightness up to max and it performs adequately. My expectations for a $1700 laser UST projector were surpassed, that doesn't necessarily mean that this projector is the best, I don't think it probably is; I think it's good for what it is. It's probably the best value for my situation.

I never planned for this projector to be the end all and be all and I still may go get the 5k lumen, 4k laser projector from Dell. My goal was to have something adequate that would hold me until a good 4k projector was released. If that were not my goal, I probably would have chosen the Epson LS100.
post #346 of 549 Old 03-06-2018, 04:26 AM

Quote:
I feel like it could be a little brighter. I turned the brightness up to max and it performs adequately. My expectations for a $1700 laser UST projector were surpassed, that doesn't necessarily mean that this projector is the best, I don't think it probably is; I think it's good for what it is. It's probably the best value for my situation.

I never planned for this projector to be the end all and be all and I still may go get the 5k lumen, 4k laser projector from Dell. My goal was to have something adequate that would hold me until a good 4k projector was released. If that were not my goal, I probably would have chosen the Epson LS100.
I would agree for me as well I bought this projector after looking at many options including 65-75" UHD TVs but then I thought at this price this is the best option and I can hold to pour big money for sometime until a good real 4K HDR UST option is available at a reasonable price and frankly I'm so happy with my purchase.
post #347 of 549 Old 03-06-2018, 08:52 AM

Thanks all for the input, very helpful! Did anyone consider the Viewsonic LS820? With a refurb selling for $2100, I'm currently torn between the two! Hoping to make a decision ASAP! Thanks again.
post #348 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 449
One new Xiaomi DLP Laser projector is online :

https://translate.google.com/transla...%2F&edit-text=
post #349 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

Thanks Kraine. Good to hear from expert's perspectives.
post #350 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you for the review. This is what I needed to know:

"Do not expect to make multi-player games in a strong position with the Xiaomi Mi UST laser , our measurements show that the display delay (depending on the selected mode) starts at 126.6 msec. to peak at 159.9 msec . It's way too much for Gamers."

That's a shame. I've been considering purchasing this, but had not seen one single input lag measurement until now.
post #351 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 10:26 AM
mnb

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

"Do not expect to make multi-player games in a strong position with the Xiaomi Mi UST laser , our measurements show that the display delay (depending on the selected mode) starts at 126.6 msec. to peak at 159.9 msec . It's way too much for Gamers."

That's a shame. I've been considering purchasing this, but had not seen one single input lag measurement until now.
He didn't say that he was using game mode for this testing did he? My understanding from another forum was that this pj has a couple of places to select game mode that would decrease lag. I'm hoping that is the case.
post #352 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

2351: 1 contrast! Magnifique too bad about the FI, input lag, and noise.

If they are in fact using the same 0.47 1080p DMD used in the BenQ W1700, I'm shocked at the difference in on/off contrast ratio.

600:1 vs 2300:1, nearly four times better!

Is there no light border issue on this projector? Maybe it's masked internally.

I also wonder if new versions of the TI 0.47 DLPs with XPR shifting will eventually reach 2300:1 native contrast ratio by using better designs, or if perhaps the XPR mode is what's causing the low contrast on the BenQ.

@kraine Would you mind testing the W1700 again, real quick, for contrast, with XPR disabled? I wonder if the contrast will be better, as others have suggested.

If the contrast is good with XPR off and since it supports 120hz I might buy it after all. I wonder if the HDMI 2.0 inputs on the Xaomi also allow 1080p 120hz (or 60hz frame sequential 3D from a PC). Is there a user manual? Usually the resolution / refresh rate timing charts are legible in English.
post #353 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Battleawe this is not the same chip and the Xiaomi is a laser projector, no surprise that the contrast is better.
post #354 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post
He didn't say that he was using game mode for this testing did he? My understanding from another forum was that this pj has a couple of places to select game mode that would decrease lag. I'm hoping that is the case.
I saw no mention of the different modes being used, but this is what I gathered:
"(depending on the selected mode) starts at 126.6 msec. to peak at 159.9 msec"

So if there is a game mode that lowers input lag, I’m guessing it lowers it from 159.9 ms to 126.6 ms.
post #355 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post
Quote:

That's a shame. I've been considering purchasing this, but had not seen one single input lag measurement until now. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
My thoughts exactly! Took me a while to find it since it was not translated. Would like to know if those times where in the correct mode.
post #356 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
"Le Xiaomi Mi est un diffuseur frontal équipé d’une puce DMD de Texas Instrument 1080p 0.47. Il s’agit du même chip qui équipe les mini-projecteurs DLP à LED de LG (PF1000, LARGO) et autres Vivitek Qumi Q8."

But I thought all those projectors using the Pico 1080p 0.47 DMD had terrible contrast (under 1000:1) just like the new 0.47 XPR projectors?

Regardless, I hope we see more 1080p projectors with HDR + 4K inputs and decent contrast with laser light sources. 4K doesn't matter to me much, I'm much more interested in HDR, laser, 120hz, and wide colour gamut.

You didn't seem to measure the gamut in your review though. Their ads mention 85% of NTSC coverage, so maybe that translates to better DCI P3 than most lamp projectors.
post #357 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone managed to install Plex or Kodi on it? Been using external sources but would be easier for my kids to just use it natively.
post #358 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisito View Post
My thoughts exactly! Took me a while to find it since it was not translated. Would like to know if those times where in the correct mode.
When it comes to input lag with this projector, I found this video to be pretty helpful:
post #359 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post

You didn't seem to measure the gamut in your review though. Their ads mention 85% of NTSC coverage, so maybe that translates to better DCI P3 than most lamp projectors.
You might read the colorimetry part deeper, allo the Gamuts measurements are there. Juste click on load more button.
post #360 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
2351: 1 contrast! Magnifique too bad about the FI, input lag, and noise.

If they are in fact using the same 0.47 1080p DMD used in the BenQ W1700, I'm shocked at the difference in on/off contrast ratio.

600:1 vs 2300:1, nearly four times better!

Is there no light border issue on this projector? Maybe it's masked internally.

I also wonder if new versions of the TI 0.47 DLPs with XPR shifting will eventually reach 2300:1 native contrast ratio by using better designs, or if perhaps the XPR mode is what's causing the low contrast on the BenQ.

@kraine Would you mind testing the W1700 again, real quick, for contrast, with XPR disabled? I wonder if the contrast will be better, as others have suggested.

If the contrast is good with XPR off and since it supports 120hz I might buy it after all. I wonder if the HDMI 2.0 inputs on the Xaomi also allow 1080p 120hz (or 60hz frame sequential 3D from a PC). Is there a user manual? Usually the resolution / refresh rate timing charts are legible in English.
Battleaxe, the Xiaomi here is a 1080p projector. The google translate is a little rough but kraine mentions at the start of the review that while the projector accepts 4K sources it down samples that 4K source to the native 1080p resolution of the projector. So it's not a 4K projector and it's not the same XPR chip being used in the W1700/HT2550. Maybe kraine can correct me here but I believe the 1080p chip used in this Xiaomi is the same DC3 DMD used in the majority of consumer 1080p DLP projectors.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page