Xiaomi Ultra Short throw laser projector - ~$1,500 USD??? - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #361 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Oh I see it now, thanks! Yes it's disappointing there's no P3 support despite laser. Noisy as hell too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Battleaxe, the Xiaomi here is a 1080p projector. The google translate is a little rough but kraine mentions at the start of the review that while the projector accepts 4K sources it down samples that 4K source to the native 1080p resolution of the projector. So it's not a 4K projector and it's not the same XPR chip being used in the W1700/HT2550. Maybe kraine can correct me here but I believe the 1080p chip used in this Xiaomi is the same DC3 DMD used in the majority of consumer 1080p DLP projectors.
The DMD in most older 1080p DLPs is 0.66 inch DC3, not 0.47 Pico type which have the tilt and roll mirrors which everyone complained about having terrible low-end contrast in those LED projectors. So this one is either very well made or it's using a 0.66 DMD and even then, with an optimised light path compared to most DLPs except the w2000+ which does 2500:1.

That honestly is the type of projector I would be looking to upgrade to, a relatively high contrast DLP, if it weren't so noisy, had more gamut, and low input lag. The price is right though. I really think it's a shame they can't do WCG with a laser light, and why is it so loud and with such low lumens? My lamp-based DLP is brighter than that, at least with a fresh bulb in it.

120hz support is something 1080p projectors with HDMI 2.0 input and 3D should all in theory support, so I may get what I am looking for one day. If not I'll just buy something else.

But I would like to get my hands on the user manual for this one, even if it is only in Chinese. Is there a PDF somewhere? I couldn't find it on the net.
post #363 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 2658
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
The DMD in most older 1080p DLPs is 0.66 inch DC3, not 0.47 Pico type which have the tilt and roll mirrors which everyone complained about having terrible low-end contrast in those LED projectors. So this one is either very well made or it's using a 0.66 DMD and even then, with an optimised light path compared to most DLPs except the w2000+ which does 2500:1.

That honestly is the type of projector I would be looking to upgrade to, a relatively high contrast DLP, if it weren't so noisy, had more gamut, and low input lag. The price is right though. I really think it's a shame they can't do WCG with a laser light, and why is it so loud and with such low lumens? My lamp-based DLP is brighter than that, at least with a fresh bulb in it.

120hz support is something 1080p projectors with HDMI 2.0 input and 3D should all in theory support, so I may get what I am looking for one day. If not I'll just buy something else.

But I would like to get my hands on the user manual for this one, even if it is only in Chinese. Is there a PDF somewhere? I couldn't find it on the net.
We're actually both wrong. This Xiaomi does use a .47 1080p DMD. I just read it in the specs section of the review.

So it uses the pico dmd and apparently gets it's contrast as a result of the laser light source. Cool. Can't wait for laser powered .66 DMD DLPs!

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 549 Old 03-08-2018, 02:25 PM

If it uses the 0.47 pico tilt and roll DMDs, and achieves 2300:1 doing so, they could -- and should -- use those same 0.47 chips in the XPR projectors.

I somehow doubt the laser light source has anything to do with the high static contrast ratio, unless it's as a direct result of the laser light source having a super small etendue compared to a lamp, which would make it act like a mechanical iris without any loss of lumens for closing it.
post #365 of 549 Old 03-09-2018, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey just an FYI there is a 20% off coupon on eBay but it?s capped at 100$ so you can get this projector for 1600 with free shipping PSPRING20 is the coupon
post #366 of 549 Old 03-10-2018, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 118
One of the best reviewers in Europe

HDTVTest

Edit: And he translates the image menus from Chinese (Mandarin) to english, one by one..
adpayne and Danilo Correa like this.

Last edited by silver-eye; 03-10-2018 at 02:05 PM.
post #367 of 549 Old 03-10-2018, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post
He didn't say that he was using game mode for this testing did he? My understanding from another forum was that this pj has a couple of places to select game mode that would decrease lag. I'm hoping that is the case.
It was tested at 88ms by reviewers back in June last year.
post #368 of 549 Old 03-10-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop10 View Post
I was in the same situation as you. I wanted the flat screen look for my condo. I was deciding between the viewsonic ls820, ls830, Optoma zh400ust, Dell 4k ultra short throw, Epson ls100.

I also wanted the appropriate screen, which you should definitely add to your setup as well: I chose the elite aeon CLR, you have the viewsonic BCP option as well. A few other options out there as well. Your screen should be specific to the short throw.

This is why I chose Xiaomi, even though I could afford any of the projectors I mentioned above (no particular order of reason):

1. Style: Xiaomi's projector is the sleekest, thinnest, non-bulking looking short throw on the market.
2. The reviews were good. And they met my expections. It's a nice projector.
3. Works well with my Sonos Playbar and Sub. The Xiaomi projector, unlike every other projector on the market, except for the $5k Dell, comes equipped with a Toslink Digital Sound Port. Made it easy to set up my Sonos System.
4. Value: I felt that for $1750.00, I would get a similar quality if not better for $1300 - $4000 less. My wife wants a second one for the bedroom now.
5. Didn't want to pay full price for a short throw that wasn't 4k. When a good 4k short throw comes out in the near future, I could put this one in the bedroom and buy a 4k that is reasonably priced, not bulky and put it in the living room. Right now, only Dell and hisense are in the 4k ust game. The price will drop in the near future.

Reasons NOT to get it:
1. No real warranty. I don't believe. 30 Days with Ebay or whoever you purchase it from
2. Everything is in Chinese. This can be easily converted and is not a real problem for me.
3. Unknown long term performance without a warranty.
4. A real 4k short throw could be around the corner. If you only want to buy one, you'd have to sell it to get a real 4k.
Thanks for the info. I'm still looking at the Xiaomi as I can get it for much cheaper than $1750 ;-) JMGO also has a competing UST at around the same price and they've been in the game for a while longer than Xiaomi. Quick question, do you think the Xiaomi is portable enough to put into a suitcase without taking up a lot of space?
post #369 of 549 Old 03-11-2018, 03:37 PM

Liked: 1
Hi, just as confirmation, I live in the US and 110v, can I really just plug it in straight in the wall with only the plug adapter?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

always around...
post #370 of 549 Old 03-11-2018, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
OK i ordered xiaomi projector from ********.

Here is my question

i want the best brightness , close to a real TV.

so if i project only 60 inches of image, do you guys think i can get better quality?

and i can't find a good CLR screen maybe like 60 or 70 inchs.
Is there any out there?

i should have bought 70inchs TV lol, it would have been cheaper he he, but i want the portability
post #371 of 549 Old 03-11-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajasekhar View Post
OK i ordered xiaomi projector from ********.

Here is my question

i want the best brightness , close to a real TV.
Turn off the lights, set projector to maximum brightness and sit 1.3 metres away from the screen. You'll have close to a real TV.

Quote:
so if i project only 60 inches of image, do you guys think i can get better quality?
See above.

Quote:
and i can't find a good CLR screen maybe like 60 or 70 inchs.
Is there any out there?
Check Amazon.

Quote:
i should have bought 70inchs TV lol, it would have been cheaper he he, but i want the portability
VR glasses + Samsung Note 8 (with 4K) = best setup.
post #372 of 549 Old 03-11-2018, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklee View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm still looking at the Xiaomi as I can get it for much cheaper than $1750 ;-) JMGO also has a competing UST at around the same price and they've been in the game for a while longer than Xiaomi. Quick question, do you think the Xiaomi is portable enough to put into a suitcase without taking up a lot of space?
Easily fittable in a suitcase, moreso than any other short throw out there. It's heavy (15lbs or so) but compact. It's approximately 2.5 in tall, 14 in wide, 10 in depth.
post #373 of 549 Old 03-12-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Turn off the lights, set projector to maximum brightness and sit 1.3 metres away from the screen. You'll have close to a real TV.

See above.

Check Amazon.

VR glasses + Samsung Note 8 (with 4K) = best setup.
Very funny lol. I have note 8 and vr glasses

But seriously it's there any CLR screen
post #374 of 549 Old 03-16-2018, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Hi, i recieved mine and i'm very happy with the image quality, but the noise is awful.

As it starts it produces a very annoying and loud sound. Its not from the fans, its from the processor i think, or the system.

This noise is louder when I plug a 30, 59fps or 60fps signal to the projector, with 23, 24 or 25 fps it seems more quitter but still very noticeable.

When the laser light is in high or movie mode the fans sound louder but this noise is still the same so this noise doesn’t seems to come from the fans, its like a processor (or something like that) noise.

I upload a video, can anyone confirm if it's normal or if there is something wrong with my unit?

link: youtube.com/watch?v=1yp0XlPwvjI

Many thanks
post #375 of 549 Old 03-16-2018, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkconcept View Post
Hi, i recieved mine and i'm very happy with the image quality, but the noise is awful.

As it starts it produces a very annoying and loud sound. Its not from the fans, its from the processor i think, or the system.

This noise is louder when I plug a 30, 59fps or 60fps signal to the projector, with 23, 24 or 25 fps it seems more quitter but still very noticeable.

When the laser light is in high or movie mode the fans sound louder but this noise is still the same so this noise doesn’t seems to come from the fans, its like a processor (or something like that) noise.

I upload a video, can anyone confirm if it's normal or if there is something wrong with my unit?

link: youtube.com/watch?v=1yp0XlPwvjI

Many thanks
Wow, yeah that's not right. I've watched a dozen or so videos and a lot of reviewers use a sound level meter and this is first time I've come across that sound. Hopefully the return policy is good.

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung Q6FN (2018)
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #376 of 549 Old 03-19-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop10 View Post
Easily fittable in a suitcase, moreso than any other short throw out there. It's heavy (15lbs or so) but compact. It's approximately 2.5 in tall, 14 in wide, 10 in depth.
Weight is an issue when 22kg is the limit for check-ins on most flights. Thanks anyway.
post #377 of 549 Old 03-25-2018, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Anyone got some feedback using some sort of Screen paint for this UST projector....
post #378 of 549 Old 03-25-2018, 09:41 AM

Cool Carl's ust screens

Have anyone experience the Carl's Ultra Short Throw Screens... I got a sample of it and it looks decent, I just don't have an UST projector to test it out yet

Can't post the link yet, but just google Carl's ultra short throw screen and you can see it on their website.

Thank you

always around...
post #379 of 549 Old 03-25-2018, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with starting my Xiaomi Mi projector

Hi Everyone,

I desperately require help with my just purchased Xiaomi mi projector...

I turned on the unit and it showed me an image to press the centre button, which I did, next it took me to the screen calibration image (shows a box / circle)... I hit the home button and it next took me to the wifi screen..

Mind you everything is all in Chinese here and I can't read or speak it -sorry...

now on the wifi screen I selected my wifi and entered the password... next it showed me what I believe is a telephone number screen and I didn't know what to do here... I was scanning the web to learn what to do and next thing the project turned itself off and does not seem to turn back on...

PLEASE someone help me...

I am new to the forum and have been following the write-ups and thought it would be easy... however I never did see the screen like all the youtube videos show with all the movie images in chinese when I turned the project on..

I hope someone is able to help me please.

I am writing this from UK / London.

Thanking you..
Edyie
post #380 of 549 Old 03-25-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edyie View Post
Hi Everyone,

I turned on the unit and it showed me an image to press the centre button, which I did, next it took me to the screen calibration image (shows a box / circle)... I hit the home button and it next took me to the wifi screen..

Mind you everything is all in Chinese here and I can't read or speak it -sorry...

now on the wifi screen I selected my wifi and entered the password... next it showed me what I believe is a telephone number screen and I didn't know what to do here... I was scanning the web to learn what to do and next thing the project turned itself off and does not seem to turn back on...

I am new to the forum and have been following the write-ups and thought it would be easy... however I never did see the screen like all the youtube videos show with all the movie images in chinese when I turned the project on..

Thanking you..
Edyie
=====
25th Mar 23:15 London TIme

Hi There Everyone...

Update on this item...

turned power-off on wall and after power on and calibration screen shows a phone number screen with +86 and I don't know how to exit or even go back to delete a number...

Hope someone out there is able to help me please....

Thanking you...

Edyie
post #381 of 549 Old 03-25-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanking you..
Edyie
Ask the people you bought the projector from, they should at least give you some desk support if they actually know what they're selling.
post #382 of 549 Old 03-26-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Ask the people you bought the projector from, they should at least give you some desk support if they actually know what they're selling.
Hi Rocklee,

Thank you for your reply... I have emailed via ebay to the company... ebay usually takes two day turn around to reply with emails, hence was happy to see there is a forum on the Xiaomi and perhaps felt someone before me might have come across the same issue.. Hence the call for help...

Hopefully I will get help either with the supplier or an AVSforum member perhaps who has experienced this same situation.

Thank you for writing to me..

regards
Edyie
post #383 of 549 Old 03-26-2018, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Hi Rocklee,

Thank you for your reply... I have emailed via ebay to the company... ebay usually takes two day turn around to reply with emails, hence was happy to see there is a forum on the Xiaomi and perhaps felt someone before me might have come across the same issue.. Hence the call for help...

Hopefully I will get help either with the supplier or an AVSforum member perhaps who has experienced this same situation.

regards
Edyie
Use google translate app , camera function (Chinese to English ). No need to enter any phone number etc. Just skip all the steps.
post #384 of 549 Old 03-27-2018, 02:10 AM

Hello There everyone,

Sorted the phone number screen issue

====

I have been lucky as I got help from a work colleague and for those who come-by this similar problem on the far top right hand corner the button states ignore/bypass this screen and that's what is needed to exit the phone number entry screen.

All sorted for now and next is for me to get used to the projector and what english settings I can work with.

Regards
Edyie
post #385 of 549 Old 03-27-2018, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tempted by this or this Philips screeneo 2. Got a few questions to narrow it down though:
1) Can it be used as a speaker without turning on the projector element? I've seen that it has a line in and would like to be able to play music through the speakers without having the distraction of the visuals
2) How noisy is the fan? Currently have a JMgo view which I enjoy but due its small size the fans can be quite distracting in quieter scenes.
3) Can it be set to boot straight into HDMI input rather than having to go through the menu system? Just to make things simpler for the girlfriend/guests to use
4) Are there manual buttons on the projector itself? Again with the JMgo view, I'm starting to have issues with the remote and when it finally packs in I'm unlikely to be able to get a replacement which with its lack of on chassis buttons beyond on/off means it will become a paper weight

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
post #386 of 549 Old 03-28-2018, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All
I recently purchased this projector from ********. I wanted to change the menu's to English as posted by users on the web. Unfortunately the USB port does not seem to recognize my thumb drive. I have tried 3 different thumb drives with no luck. It almost seems like the USB port is either broken or has been disabled through firmware. Has anyone else experienced this or any other options I could try before I send the unit back?
Thanks for your help
post #387 of 549 Old 03-29-2018, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantha View Post
Hi All
I recently purchased this projector from ********. I wanted to change the menu's to English as posted by users on the web. Unfortunately the USB port does not seem to recognize my thumb drive. I have tried 3 different thumb drives with no luck. It almost seems like the USB port is either broken or has been disabled through firmware. Has anyone else experienced this or any other options I could try before I send the unit back?
Thanks for your help
Have you tried reformatting the USB drives to FAT32 if there NTSF or vice versa?
post #388 of 549 Old 03-31-2018, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sure wish they would just bring out an English version to avoid all the BS issues people are having. Doesn't make me eager to give this a go since it seems you're having to ask random people on the net how to use it and bypass issues.
post #389 of 549 Old 04-04-2018, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Pardon my laziness to dig through all 13 pages but a couple questions. Looking to pull trigger in Q3 this year.

1.) Is this projector worth buyable for the money? i.e. it's actually worth it for the $

2.) Anything else coming in the next 6 months that you guys know off similar to this from a performance and price perspective? The Viewsonic was on sale for $2,300 which is the limit of what I want to spend...unfortunately it's backup but I can keep an eye on it.
post #390 of 549 Old 04-07-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceLee View Post
Pardon my laziness to dig through all 13 pages but a couple questions. Looking to pull trigger in Q3 this year.

1.) Is this projector worth buyable for the money? i.e. it's actually worth it for the $

2.) Anything else coming in the next 6 months that you guys know off similar to this from a performance and price perspective? The Viewsonic was on sale for $2,300 which is the limit of what I want to spend...unfortunately it's backup but I can keep an eye on it.
i think its worth it. im using it with elite screen's CLR screen, and everyone thinks its a tv, and they think the projector is speaker
DeuceLee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page