Originally Posted by Daniel Kavruk
i think the projector reads the tacho from the fan and if it is too low shuts itself down.
i suspect that in only in highlight mode it provides 12v to the fans that they can run with 2200 rpm what the projector would recognize as sufficient.
I have installed 3 fans from blacknoise.com model S3
Here are my experience:
1. They are super quiet, I like them as they keep the overall system quieter than normal. The PJ wiring is not standard, do keep that in mind when installing it.
2. They dont push enough air through the box and you will get the overheating popup and then shuts down
3. I tried different combination with 2 fans and keep original in the middle, but you still get the overheating popup. This tells me the original fans work really hard.
4. I have resorted to keep the 3 news fans internally and have the original fans external, connected to a USB (5v) port. (2 on air intake side and one on the exhaust side). This works for me and you dont hear the internal fans spin up as much.
5. Now I have switched the external fans to 3x92mm (quiet) fans, they push more air and are quiet too. Size is perfectly align with the height of the PJ. I used 1 USB cable connected to all 3 fans, to the back of the PJ USB port, using a 5v to 12v conversion USB cable. Works great.
Here are my maths, the original fans are from nidec. The numbers are 40CFM you get around 30db for a 80mm fan
Ideally, if someone can find a fan that produce 40CFM with <30db then I'm confident it will work.
More importantly the wife is happy for now.