Xiaomi Ultra Short throw laser projector - ~$1,500 USD??? - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #541 of 549 Old 04-09-2019, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i think the projector reads the tacho from the fan and if it is too low shuts itself down.
i suspect that in only in highlight mode it provides 12v to the fans that they can run with 2200 rpm what the projector would recognize as sufficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 549 Old 05-17-2019, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kavruk View Post
i think the projector reads the tacho from the fan and if it is too low shuts itself down.
i suspect that in only in highlight mode it provides 12v to the fans that they can run with 2200 rpm what the projector would recognize as sufficient.
I have installed 3 fans from blacknoise.com model S3

Here are my experience:
1. They are super quiet, I like them as they keep the overall system quieter than normal. The PJ wiring is not standard, do keep that in mind when installing it.

2. They dont push enough air through the box and you will get the overheating popup and then shuts down

3. I tried different combination with 2 fans and keep original in the middle, but you still get the overheating popup. This tells me the original fans work really hard.

4. I have resorted to keep the 3 news fans internally and have the original fans external, connected to a USB (5v) port. (2 on air intake side and one on the exhaust side). This works for me and you dont hear the internal fans spin up as much.

5. Now I have switched the external fans to 3x92mm (quiet) fans, they push more air and are quiet too. Size is perfectly align with the height of the PJ. I used 1 USB cable connected to all 3 fans, to the back of the PJ USB port, using a 5v to 12v conversion USB cable. Works great.

Here are my maths, the original fans are from nidec. The numbers are 40CFM you get around 30db for a 80mm fan

Ideally, if someone can find a fan that produce 40CFM with <30db then I'm confident it will work.

More importantly the wife is happy for now.

post #543 of 549 Old 05-17-2019, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One last thing, the placement of the external 92mm fans is right up against the grill. I tried having gaps but it seem the best position is right up against and touching the grill.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 549 Old 05-28-2019, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
I assume you have international version? There seems to be a bug with this along with switching to preset settings, I was able to configure with lower values for brightness and contrast after playing with the settings and everything been great. There is also OTA update for Chinese version but nothing for international yet.

Now that I've given up trying the special calibration setting, does anyone know how to make this work with the Harmony remotes? Googling as a verb got me to add it as an Amazon FireTV, but can't put the thing to sleep via the Harmony. I can wake it up via CEC and my Shield, but still don't have any real controls on it.
post #545 of 549 Old 05-29-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niveknow View Post
Now that I've given up trying the special calibration setting, does anyone know how to make this work with the Harmony remotes? Googling as a verb got me to add it as an Amazon FireTV, but can't put the thing to sleep via the Harmony. I can wake it up via CEC and my Shield, but still don't have any real controls on it.
Nevermind... I spent 3 hours last night and got it work. The trick was to delete the Fire TV that I had incorrectly added and *unplug* the Shield when I try and add the Fire TV as a new device. Apparently the Harmony was adding the Shield and not FireTV as the remote. I've managed to make sequence shortcuts to have it go through the Up-Up-Right-Right... sequence to select the HDMI input manually. Won't bored this thread with the details, but writing so others may see there is a working solution.

Thanks for the response.
post #546 of 549 Old 06-03-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niveknow View Post
Nevermind... I spent 3 hours last night and got it work. The trick was to delete the Fire TV that I had incorrectly added and *unplug* the Shield when I try and add the Fire TV as a new device. Apparently the Harmony was adding the Shield and not FireTV as the remote. I've managed to make sequence shortcuts to have it go through the Up-Up-Right-Right... sequence to select the HDMI input manually. Won't bored this thread with the details, but writing so others may see there is a working solution.

Thanks for the response.
Someone PMed me asking on this thread so I'll post for others that may benefit. While I can do the sequence of steps to "step through" the keys to get it to switch to HDMI mode.. it won't automatically do in a single execution command since the projector takes awhile to boot up. You basically have to launch the start.. wait for the Projector to full boot up into AndroidTV...then hit your sequence shortcut key which will switch to HDMI3. Not the smoothest, but at least I'm able to use one remote. The shutdown is also not working properly because I can't turn off the projector.. but I program a shortcut and launch the Amazon FireTV 'Sleep' command. It works only 50/50 of the time. Again not perfect unless someone has a different way to do it.
post #547 of 549 Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys, I am selling my first Gen Chinese model, if anyone interested, message me for more info. Comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

always around...
post #548 of 549 Old 06-30-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi everyone

I just got a dead pixel in the middle of the screen... just at 15 months so warranty just expired. I need your advice

1. Xiaomi has no extended warranty. My projector is the Chinese version, should I just set an auction on ebay and sell "as is" with the appropriate description of the issue ?
2. Can it be repaired? Where?

3. If it can be repaired, do you think it's possible to upgrade to 4K?

Other options?

Need to decide what to do, however I'll be upgrading to the Vava 4k. GREAT projector, but can't stand looking at one white pixel all the time...

Word of advice: Always pay using AMEX or Mastercard to get the extended manufacturer warranty when purchasing an expensive projector....

Thank you
post #549 of 549 Old 07-01-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdans View Post
Hi everyone

I just got a dead pixel in the middle of the screen... just at 15 months so warranty just expired. I need your advice

1. Xiaomi has no extended warranty. My projector is the Chinese version, should I just set an auction on ebay and sell "as is" with the appropriate description of the issue ?
2. Can it be repaired? Where?

3. If it can be repaired, do you think it's possible to upgrade to 4K?

Other options?

Need to decide what to do, however I'll be upgrading to the Vava 4k. GREAT projector, but can't stand looking at one white pixel all the time...

Word of advice: Always pay using AMEX or Mastercard to get the extended manufacturer warranty when purchasing an expensive projector....

Thank you
On the XDA rooting discussion it is claimed that at least one user was able to fix their dead/stuck pixel.

"One owner of the chinese version here (french) who had a dead pixel managed to fix it by increasing RGB custom settings above 1500 for some time (don't know how long). When reverting to previous values, the white pixel had disappeared. Didn't work out for another user, but it might be worth a try."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page