Viewsonic PX800HD with a BCP120 Screen - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #61 of 81 Old 02-26-2018, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bone View Post
As far as brightness goes I have it set to Eco Mode simply because of the audible fan noise that Normal Mode projects. The Eco setting isn't ideal for high ambient light but the Snowhite screen does take of the majority of stray lighting so for the most part I have been extremely happy with it nonetheless.
Is the lenticular structure of the screen visible? The close up shots of the screen material look like horizontal alternating grey/black stripes...just curious if this was visible, and from what distance? Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 02-28-2018, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post
Is the lenticular structure of the screen visible? The close up shots of the screen material look like horizontal alternating grey/black stripes...just curious if this was visible, and from what distance? Thanks,
Honestly not at all. The only way you will see those lines is standing a foot away from it with no projector light on at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #63 of 81 Old 02-28-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As far as brightness goes I have it set to Eco Mode simply because of the audible fan noise that Normal Mode projects. The Eco setting isn't ideal for high ambient light but the Snowhite screen does take of the majority of stray lighting so for the most part I have been extremely happy with it nonetheless.
This makes sense because if you're in the dark watching a movie, you can run it in eco and not have the lamp disturb your movie...if you're fighting ambient light (or daylight) the sound would be less critical I'd think...I know I only noticed my old PS3 fan noise at night while watching a movie, never during the day while gaming.

I got the shipping quote from Snowhite, it was high. $60 Inflation in the past two weeks hurts!

I've decided to order the projector, get it setup shining on the wall and THEN order the screen so I can make sure 100" will fit...if not, may have to go with 92". (any regrets on going 100")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 81 Old 02-28-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
This makes sense because if you're in the dark watching a movie, you can run it in eco and not have the lamp disturb your movie...if you're fighting ambient light (or daylight) the sound would be less critical I'd think...I know I only noticed my old PS3 fan noise at night while watching a movie, never during the day while gaming.

I got the shipping quote from Snowhite, it was high. $60 Inflation in the past two weeks hurts!

I've decided to order the projector, get it setup shining on the wall and THEN order the screen so I can make sure 100" will fit...if not, may have to go with 92". (any regrets on going 100")
Not at all. I was rocking a hand-built 100 inch frame with a thicker velvet border. So it was basically a 92 inch viewing surface.

Yeah, I suspect they'll catch on to the prices that everybody else is offering and realize there's a pretty large gap. So I would order the screen as soon as possible before the price keeps climbing. I'm just glad I got it when I did at the price I did as compared to all the other prices I saw the forehand from other manufacturers.

post #65 of 81 Old 03-03-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

happy happy happy

Just got this pj and set it upon 10 min. tops...quick impression is, of course, the screen must be perfectly flat...but, I'm using the same screen temporarily that my JVC 4910 uses which is a roll down VApex electric white 1.0 gain, and, with a little tweaking I got the screen flat enough not to be distracting. Also, image is BRIGHT, CONTRASTY and TACK-SHARP (a special kind of sharpness I'm not used to with a nearly perfect convergence JVC), I had a lower end Sim2 pj before the JVC and do not remember this pronounced a difference in sharpness. Verdict is still out on blacks as I haven't viewed under no ambient light, though it cuts through later afternoon light extremely well, though I still plan to purchase a lenticular ALR screen. Super happy so far...screenshots attached showing daylight and room light...I could read a newspaper in this room with some difficulty. I'm going to watch a movie on it with the kids tonight so will post back about blacks/contrast.

Also, there are more menu items and picture adjustments than I expected...I expect you could do a pretty descent job with a full calibration on this with everything except gamma which is limited to values 1-11.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	2369744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	2369746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	2369748  
post #66 of 81 Old 03-03-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I've watched a couple hours of blu-ray and DirecTV HD. Most of the differences I'm noticing about the projector are just between DLP and my old LCOS...DLP has dithering (slight video noise in dark areas), bright highlights and more vibrant colors. The contrast in the darkest scenes is a little lacking (like an edge lit LCD) and this is with a white screen and I intend to change to an ALR grey screen. The less than stellar blacks are mostly noticeable on fade to back and credits...any other time the bright highlights make the irises of your eyes contact so its much less noticeable...put it this way, I remarked at the bright highlights and vivid but accurate colors 5:1 over the dark gray blacks and I'm a blacks fanatic from my LCOS days (though I can appreciate "the other half")

Also, the ceiling light bounce onto the screen doesn't really wash out the image as its at such an extreme angle that it never reaches back to the screen...I'm really excited to get my ALR screen to see how much of an improvement it makes...probably be a couple of weeks. Also, fan noise is less than my PS3 on normal bulb, much less on eco, and fan runs about 10-15 seconds after shutoff to cool bulb (not sure if this is a change from firmware update but its different than previously reported).

Last edited by pottscb; 03-05-2018 at 05:46 AM.
post #67 of 81 Old 03-09-2018, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not at all. I was rocking a hand-built 100 inch frame with a thicker velvet border. So it was basically a 92 inch viewing surface.

Yeah, I suspect they'll catch on to the prices that everybody else is offering and realize there's a pretty large gap. So I would order the screen as soon as possible before the price keeps climbing. I'm just glad I got it when I did at the price I did as compared to all the other prices I saw the forehand from other manufacturers.

J Bone, one more question about the screen. I know the seller is in China (dealing with Berry) but they don't except any normal payment methods...only Western Union and HK Bank transfer or T/T ? Any idea if any of these are legit...I know Western Union has super high transaction fees. Just wondering which direction you went how how much extra it added?
post #68 of 81 Old 03-09-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
J Bone, one more question about the screen. I know the seller is in China (dealing with Berry) but they don't except any normal payment methods...only Western Union and HK Bank transfer or T/T ? Any idea if any of these are legit...I know Western Union has super high transaction fees. Just wondering which direction you went how how much extra it added?
Yes I was hesitant as well. I just did an international wire transfer from my primary Bank. I was lucky enough for them to waive the fee for me since I don't do very many wire transfers and the amount was so low.

post #69 of 81 Old 05-08-2018, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
Something that gets overlooked with this projector is replacement lamps are only $59. That really levels the playing field with LED and laser models. When combined with its low input lag that makes it the UST to beat IMO.
Greetings Aerodynamics,

Would you happen to know where to pick up the replacement filter?

Many thanks and best regards,
post #70 of 81 Old 05-20-2018, 11:21 PM

The replacement lamps arrived, but no filters included.
Anyone knows where to get hold of these?
post #71 of 81 Old 05-22-2018, 03:25 AM

Greetings.

It seems the price of Snowhite has caught up with XYscreen. Is XYscreen considered the better product?

Also, would anyone kindly advise if Carls' Place ALR Screen is suitable for use with a UST? Would the high gain be a problem in a dark room?

Last edited by qoopy; 05-22-2018 at 03:29 AM.
post #72 of 81 Old 05-22-2018, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Greetings.

It seems the price of Snowhite has caught up with XYscreen. Is XYscreen considered the better product?

Also, would anyone kindly advise if Carls' Place ALR Screen is suitable for use with a UST? Would the high gain be a problem in a dark room?

Hey there,
I started a screen thread for that screen material here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-scr...ort-throw.html

Unfortunately, its not designed for UST use (ALR not UST). See Carl's website detailing this below. Also, it needs to be used with very high brightness PJs (think Epson UST). In addition, it has quite a few optical limitations (screen moire and hot spotting). If I had a long throw pj I might have taken the chance. I ended up going with their Flexigray (it it the bottom screen material in the comparison) and have been nothing but happy...its solid, nothing flashy. I'd be thrilled if they released this in a UST version, I think there is increasing demand.

http://www.carlofet.com/uncontrolled...ial-comparison

I am still very happy with the Viewsonic pj...the highlights, vibrant colors and improved blacks with this screen material make for a very compelling image. Its not quite as cinematic as my JVC 4910, but its close and its much better with ANY room light (which is usually). In fact, I'm thinking of changing my JVC screen material to something similar to the Flexigray as it mitigates room reflections.

Last edited by pottscb; 05-22-2018 at 06:06 AM.
post #73 of 81 Old 05-27-2018, 11:33 PM

A difference of night and day.
Any comments if the XYScreen or Snowhite would be effective here?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180515_222839.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2408552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180528_133712.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	819.5 KB
ID:	2408554  
post #74 of 81 Old 05-30-2018, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Greetings.

Not sure if you mean the price went up or not...seems about the same they're just providing a range (100-800) and maybe quoting it with shipping (which is hundreds to the US). I did look on their page and they've got "VisualApex" listed on their screen description page but when I went to VApex its a different logo and I searched for XY screen and it came up blank.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...784872caEASDGG

I made myself a DIY grey screen which I'm happy with but I'm still thinking about this for true daytime use...just not sure this pj is quite bright enough. It would be a no brainer with a pj that could output 2000 calibrated lumens (I think this one's around 1100 in Standard mode regular lamp).

Does anyone have a problem with this pj switching lamp modes on them? It always starts out in Normal (regardless of if its in Eco the last time I used it), and when I switch it to Eco, SuperEco, Etc. it stays there until I press any button on the remote which causes it to go back to Normal mode. Any ideas?
post #75 of 81 Old 05-31-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Not sure if you mean the price went up or not...
Yep, screen cost with shipping is now more than the projector.

Both the vendors do not recommend using a 120" screen with the px800. 3500 lumens needed.
But I have a feeling even that is insufficient in my situation. So no day time viewing for now

Eco mode stays unchanged when projector is powered off, but pressing the menu button sets hte lamp mode to normal. A feature perhaps?
post #76 of 81 Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep, screen cost with shipping is now more than the projector.

Both the vendors do not recommend using a 120" screen with the px800. 3500 lumens needed.
But I have a feeling even that is insufficient in my situation. So no day time viewing for now

Eco mode stays unchanged when projector is powered off, but pressing the menu button sets hte lamp mode to normal. A feature perhaps?
There are other options...how big is your screen? (I was thinking Viewsonic said it had a max image size of 120-130") For that size you'd have to use a grey material like Elite Cinegray or Carls Flexigray (I use this one and it provide a usable image with tons of light in the room) but you'll have to run in high lamp with brightness maximized to get a decent image. My wish for this projector would be outputting twice as many lumens in a color accurate mode (so we could use a large lenticular ALR screen) which could probably only be done with a laser light source (it should be coming but it may be a couple years...they already have the UST chassis/lens figured out and already have a laser light source long throw pj so it makes sense...)
post #77 of 81 Old 08-11-2018, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have been running a PX800HD with an Elite Aeon CLR screen for a couple of weeks now and I thought I would give my thoughts.

I have had a LG PF1500 LED projector for a couple of years in a home office/home theater, but we could only seat two comfortably, so the wife and I decided to move our movie room to our living room. Because of the layout an UST was easier to set up, plus I was interested to see how they work

The 800 is larger than I thought it would be. It is a hefty piece of equipment, but once it is on a table it just sort of blends into the room, and is less noticeable than a projector hanging from the ceiling.

When hooked up to my Apple TV 4K with HDMI it has limited options for tweaking the picture compared to my LG. I was able to get a very nice picture however using what it has. The picture is very bright and consistent from edge to edge, as is the focus. With the LG the focus was always a compromise. The 800 is sharp across the whole image. It’s impressive. The built in speakers sound terrible and tinny.

For the first week while waiting for my screen I was projecting on a textured wall a 100” image to match the coming screen. It was bright enough to watch during the day with some washing out of course, but acceptable. On a perfectly flat wall it would work well.

I was already happy with the purchase when the CLR screen arrived. After I set that up, it was a whole different ball game. The CLR isn’t just a big difference, it is a massive difference.

Assembling the screen was not a big deal. The instructions are clear, and I had watched the instructional video. I have been stretching large artist canvases for many years and it is no different. The screen is pretty heavy. Elite encloses two hangers to hang the screen on.

The 800 plus the screen is very tricky to set up. The hangers once on the wall allow for horizontal screen adjustment, but not vertical, so I spent a LONG time measuring and trying to figure out how to match the image to the screen. Finally I just figured I may have to just end up with a bunch of holes in the wall as I fine tuned the position of the hangers. I must have spent the right amount of time figuring it out because I nailed it first time out. One note about the projector; when you use the focus lever it changes the entire size of the image to achieve focus. When I first hung the screen I was about an inch short on the top with the image, when I focused it fit perfectly, however I had not focused prior to measuring. I got really lucky.

If you are considering the PX800HD, or any UST projector, I highly recommend budgeting for a CLR screen. It takes the setup to a whole different level.

A note about the screen. I ordered it from ProjectorScreenStore. It arrived in just under two weeks in perfect condition. However, it just showed up on my doorstep one day. No order updates, no shipping info or updates, no contact other than the original email confirmation of the order. UPS didn’t even knock on my door, I just happened to look out the window to see a giant box sitting there. Nice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	2440682   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	2440684   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	679.8 KB
ID:	2440686   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	2440688   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	2440690  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	2440692   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	2440694   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	2440696   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	2440698  
Eagle13 and Calibratedlumens like this.

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
post #78 of 81 Old 09-17-2018, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
I have been running a PX800HD with an Elite Aeon CLR screen for a couple of weeks now and I thought I would give my thoughts.

I have had a LG PF1500 LED projector for a couple of years in a home office/home theater, but we could only seat two comfortably, so the wife and I decided to move our movie room to our living room. Because of the layout an UST was easier to set up, plus I was interested to see how they work

The 800 is larger than I thought it would be. It is a hefty piece of equipment, but once it is on a table it just sort of blends into the room, and is less noticeable than a projector hanging from the ceiling.

When hooked up to my Apple TV 4K with HDMI it has limited options for tweaking the picture compared to my LG. I was able to get a very nice picture however using what it has. The picture is very bright and consistent from edge to edge, as is the focus. With the LG the focus was always a compromise. The 800 is sharp across the whole image. It’s impressive. The built in speakers sound terrible and tinny.

For the first week while waiting for my screen I was projecting on a textured wall a 100” image to match the coming screen. It was bright enough to watch during the day with some washing out of course, but acceptable. On a perfectly flat wall it would work well.

I was already happy with the purchase when the CLR screen arrived. After I set that up, it was a whole different ball game. The CLR isn’t just a big difference, it is a massive difference.

Assembling the screen was not a big deal. The instructions are clear, and I had watched the instructional video. I have been stretching large artist canvases for many years and it is no different. The screen is pretty heavy. Elite encloses two hangers to hang the screen on.

The 800 plus the screen is very tricky to set up. The hangers once on the wall allow for horizontal screen adjustment, but not vertical, so I spent a LONG time measuring and trying to figure out how to match the image to the screen. Finally I just figured I may have to just end up with a bunch of holes in the wall as I fine tuned the position of the hangers. I must have spent the right amount of time figuring it out because I nailed it first time out. One note about the projector; when you use the focus lever it changes the entire size of the image to achieve focus. When I first hung the screen I was about an inch short on the top with the image, when I focused it fit perfectly, however I had not focused prior to measuring. I got really lucky.

If you are considering the PX800HD, or any UST projector, I highly recommend budgeting for a CLR screen. It takes the setup to a whole different level.

A note about the screen. I ordered it from ProjectorScreenStore. It arrived in just under two weeks in perfect condition. However, it just showed up on my doorstep one day. No order updates, no shipping info or updates, no contact other than the original email confirmation of the order. UPS didn’t even knock on my door, I just happened to look out the window to see a giant box sitting there. Nice.
So you would say it would be a night and day difference between the Grey and the CLR. Pictures look amazing for your setup. Currently with the Grey I'm just not getting the bright colors I was expecting. When I turn on the TV in my living room it just kinda of makes me pitty the projector in the basement.
post #79 of 81 Old 09-17-2018, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghometheater View Post
So you would say it would be a night and day difference between the Grey and the CLR. Pictures look amazing for your setup. Currently with the Grey I'm just not getting the bright colors I was expecting. When I turn on the TV in my living room it just kinda of makes me pitty the projector in the basement.
It is a night and day difference compared to the off white wall I was originally projecting it onto. The colors with the CLR are very bright and poppy. The photos, especially the ones with the fan light on are a pretty true representation of what I see, and that fan light is very bright. The CLR is very good at rejecting light from the top and the sides. I can have normal lighting on in the room and it looks like a 100" TV. The only time it washes out a bit is if the sun comes through a couple of windows on the side at about a 45 degree angle to the screen, or if I have a floor lamp turned on which sits almost directly opposite the screen. But even then it is nothing like it was without the screen. In both of those cases without the screen the image was pretty unwatchable.

This is the 3rd projector setup I have had. A semi dedicated room painted very dark colors with a High Power screen, a semi dedicated room with no color treatment and shooting onto a wall, and this one. I can't imagine now going back to either of the previous setups. Watching a projector as a TV was always a compromise for me. Lights on so I could work or read the paper and have a washed out image, or sit in total darkness so the image looks good. Now I can have both and I never think "this would be better with the lights out". And when I do turn out the lights and watch in the dark, wow.

CLR screens are pricey. It is a big leap of faith to pay what is nearly the price of the projector on a screen. In my case I am happy to have made the leap. YMMV of course
Eagle13 likes this.

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
post #80 of 81 Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Viewsonic PX800HD with a BCP120 Screen

Hi everyone, I realize this threads a bit old but thought I’d give this a try. I just purchased the PX800HD. I currently have a SilverTicket screen. It’s not perfectly flat so the picture has a lot of distortion. I’ve been looking at four options. XY screens (looks like good quality but very low gain), Snowhite (looks great but their based in China and I don’t think they sell direct via PayPal like XY does), Elite Screens CLR (looks great again, but the Velcro tensioning and the six piece frame design may give me waves and distortions) Lastly the ViewSonic BCP120 (looks great but the material doesn’t seem to be truly lenticular).
The only close up shot of the BCP material I’ve found was on an eBay listing. It looks like just a slightly textured white screen. I’ll post the pic below. If anybody has the ViewSonic BCP120 please share some details or pictures of the material.

Ok, so I haven’t been able to find any close up shots of the BCP120 still. However I have talked with another member and they don’t think the picture is a good representation of the screen material likely due to camera effects. I’m inclined to agree considering the other photos I’ve seen the material is much darker.

Last edited by bix26; 10-15-2018 at 11:22 AM.
post #81 of 81 Old 02-05-2019, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Here are some more of the unboxing and assembly.
Did you use the two long aluminum rods with the brackets to install the screen? Any pics? I finished assembling my screen and it was really easy once I figured out how to use the springs and where to hook them. However, I’m sort of confused how these rods work and whether they will be useful for the way I am mounting the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
bcp , bcp120 , px800hd , Viewsonic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page