Viewsonic PX800HD with a BCP120 Screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #1 of 81 Old 07-26-2017, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Viewsonic PX800HD with a BCP120 Screen

I have investigated this combination for months, and was never able to find anyone that had posted, reviewed, or commented on the combination of these viewsonic products.

So after months of investigating individual reviews on the PX800HD itself, the BCP screen itself and DNP Supernova STW screen that it really is, I finally decided to put the combination together myself.

I have attached a couple of pictures for those who have been waiting for this combination as well. Ref: both pictures were taken in ECO bulb mode and the standard color setting.

This is the 4th projector I've owned, and some quick points of interest about this projector:

Good:

Excellent color depth

Great Contrast

Light level when combined with the BCP (DNP) screen is good to moderate ambient light as long as the content is not to dark (ie, good for TV (sitcom type) shows, not necessarily movies)

Squareness (a UST measure I just made up) is much better than I thought it would be. No keystone like adjustments were necessary.

Brightness uniformity, unnoticeable error.

Bad:

Light Halo effect. There is substantial haloing around the screen. I was able to defeat it by building the entertainment system you see in the picture and using flat black to kill it. If you do not do this in a dark setting you will see a light ring around your screen and up to the ceiling.

Fan does not run a cool down cycle on the bulb when shut off. My first projector (year 2002) did this and I went through bulbs like popcorn....... hope that's not the case hear

All in all (for the price) excellent projector, and an excellent combination with this screen. I think the BCP100 would actually be a perfect match as the 120" screen stretches the lumen output a bit to far for true ambient light viewing. But I'm coming from a 135" screen and was not willing to reduce anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170722_165336262.jpg (959.0 KB, 1411 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170722_164801820.jpg (960.7 KB, 1251 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 07-26-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked: 2733
Cool! Thanks for sharing. I remember reading about this projector on projectorcentral and found it to be an exciting product. What projector did you have before this one?

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3 of 81 Old 07-26-2017, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Cool! Thanks for sharing. I remember reading about this projector on projectorcentral and found it to be an exciting product. What projector did you have before this one?
1st Infocus LP340 (SD)
2nd Infocus SP4805 (ED)
3rd Optoma HD80 (HD)
now Viewsonic PX800HD (UST)

This may seem like a museum of projector technology, but I fell in love with the DLP technology when it was first created, and have been building multi purpose theaters (for friends and family) ever since. All of my theaters are multipurpose rooms, that are designed for using the projector as the primary use of TV viewing. With the new UST/Lenticular technology, this is my first attempt at not having a "corner" tv for peak daylight viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 Old 07-26-2017, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
@Marcad80 Very impressive!! Good clean look and really like the custom cutout in the top of the entertainment center to allow UST projector to be lower and allow screen to be placed symmetrically within your setup.

Well done sir.
post #5 of 81 Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I really like what you did with the entertainment stand. Glad to see someone else here giving UST's some proper love.
badcatsclaws likes this.

Last edited by MoviePerson; 08-10-2017 at 02:14 PM.
post #6 of 81 Old 08-12-2017, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Made some modifications to the UST projector stand. Looks much better in the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14124_1503723802346.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2273284  

Last edited by Marcad80; 08-25-2017 at 10:03 PM.
post #7 of 81 Old 08-25-2017, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Did you build that console / stand that's holding the projector yourself? I really like the way that looks!

Could I get the dimensions for that - H / W / D?

Thanks!
post #8 of 81 Old 08-25-2017, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeorangr View Post
Did you build that console / stand that's holding the projector yourself? I really like the way that looks!

Could I get the dimensions for that - H / W / D?

Thanks!
I did make it. The dimensions are 53x29x12. The 29" from the wall is a minimum, but the other two dimensions could be less. All of the ventilation is through the top. Inside channels route hot air out the top left and cool air in the top right. There is an IR hole in the front hidden by the metal art.
Attached Images

post #9 of 81 Old 08-25-2017, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Something that gets overlooked with this projector is replacement lamps are only $59. That really levels the playing field with LED and laser models. When combined with its low input lag that makes it the UST to beat IMO.
badcatsclaws likes this.
post #10 of 81 Old 09-17-2017, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thank you so much for your thoughts and posting some pictures!

I've been tirelessly searching for any information about this projector and it seems like no one's really talking about it...

I see that it handles a lit environment quite well, but how good is the picture quality (mainly the black levels) when you turn all of the lights off?

I'm interested in getting my first projector and I'm pretty set on getting a UST projector since my situation throws out the possibility of a normal projector. My main use for it would be for serious movie watching with the lights off. I'm a bit worried that since it's a ~$1300 projector, the picture quality will be good, but not great. Would you say it's a good fit for serious movie watching in a dark environment? Have you experienced any noticeable rainbow effect? Also, would you say the halo effect is due to the projector, or the screen?

If not this projector, then I currently have my eyes set on the recently announced Epson LS100, although getting it and the BCP100 screen would be about double my initial budget, but I could see myself splurging for something REALLY good.
post #11 of 81 Old 09-19-2017, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

The PX800HD for strictly movie watching......

Its contrast is very good, even at very dark ambient levels. The color saturation is great as well, as accompanied by the great contrast. Black levels, this is a very hard thing to measure because it is hard to find content that has native good black levels. You can judge with anything that was shot with film (no true black), and many of the digitally shot videos don't truely project the "absence of light" for black as well. But I've looked at it in a "video off" mode, which should represent the best the projector can get a killing all projected light.

The projector definitely does the best for black level of any projector I have ever owned or seen on display. But it still does produce light on the screen when projecting pure black. A hand close to the screen will still cast a shadow from a black projection. I believe this is the same "dirty" light that is creating the halo effect.

Overall the picture still looks really good in total dark, but it looks best when very low ambient light in the room (like a theater). I have a led light array build into black crown molding that allows complete light and color control of the room (see picture attached).

If you looking at getting a UST projector though, the greatest thing about this projector is its ability to maintain perfect "squareness". That characteristic is amazing for a UST. It fits the screen perfectly without digital adjustment, and the pixel size and brightness is perfectly matched at any projected light level I've witnessed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg room.jpg (906.2 KB, 558 views)
badcatsclaws likes this.
post #12 of 81 Old 09-21-2017, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thanks so much for the info! I'll have to think about it some more (mainly waiting on reviews / release date for the LS100), but you've definitely made me think that spending an extra ~$1.8k on the LS100 isn't really worth it. The main thing holding me back on splurging is that the LS100 isn't even faux-4k, so maybe I'll get PX800HD and upgrade in a couple of years rather than being stuck with something more expensive that I'll be less inclined on replacing so soon (and meanwhile missing out on 4k content when it gets more mainstream).
post #13 of 81 Old 10-18-2017, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have bought a Viewsonic PX800HD and it projects a good image in medium ambient light (windows left side only), and excellent with controlled light, on a medium grey painted screen but I would like to improve it. Trying to find a comparitive review between the Viewsonic BCP100 screen built to match this PJ, and the Elite Screens CLR Starbright UST screen. Street prices are are around $1200 for BCP100 versus $900 for Elite CLR. I would really appreciate results of any side by side reviews or suggestions where to find such information. Elite sent me a 8 x 11' sample and it is a real improvement (both contrast and color depth) but Viewsonic will not send me a sample (say they do not have any). A sales rep says she is investigating sources of reviews but so far nothing. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
post #14 of 81 Old 10-29-2017, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
How would you rate the sharpness of this projector? If I buy 1080p instead of 4k projector right now, I would prefer it to be sharp with good contrast. So I won't regret in near future. Also did you consider LS820 before buying this one? (I'm worried about lamp life now, replacement lamp is 59 USD and it makes me suspicious after your review.)
post #15 of 81 Old 10-29-2017, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

As far as comparisons of the BCP with other screens I have none. At the time I purchased it was the only Lenticular screen that was anywhere near my price point. The Elite, SI and DNP Lenticular screens were about twice as much for the 120". Amazing since the BCP is actually a rebranded DNP screen.

As far sharpness. Near perfect. The pixel sharpness is as good as any DLP projector I've owned or seen. Optically, you can clearly see the individual mirror with the center pivot point. And the pixels in the corners looks almost identical to the pixel in the center of the screen. Digitally there doesn't seem to be alot of over processing in blending the native 1080p content.

Bulb wise, this projector is used a ton, I already have over 600 hrs on the bulb. I do notice slight diming of the picture, nothing using normal over eco mode can overcome. I figure I will be replacing the bulb every year at about 1500 hrs or so. But at $60 bucks.... This is a no brainier.

As far as 4k, there are diag vs. distance graphs out there that will tell you if you are waisting your money on 4k.

As far as the LS820, I considered the project quite a bit. Came to the decision based on the influx of new tech. I want to have a laser 4k projector, but this is a great projector while we wait a year or two for them to become $1000......
post #16 of 81 Old 10-31-2017, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thank you. I guess you're right. Spending $3000 on a 1080p projector does not make sense at this time. As far as I know there are no short throw 4Ks, except Sony's $25.000 model.
post #17 of 81 Old 12-06-2017, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Instead of starting a new thread I'll just resurrect this one.

I temporarily mounted my px800hd on Monday. In a light controlled room just shining on a blueish/Gray wall it is amazing.
I was intending to buy a silver ticket in the 120-135" range and paint the walls very dark. However, with my temp mounting I have 135" horizontal measurement and it is plenty bright on eco with no artifacts. This has changed my thoughts on the screen. I'm thinking of painting the wall as a 150" diagonal screen instead.

For those with more experience, am I painting myself into a corner? Will the PJ be to dim as it goes through the initial 500 hr drop? It by bring happy with the brightness on eco should I be ok? I realize there is no definitive yes or no, but generally.

Anyway I will get some pics up here shortly of my non optimized setup
post #18 of 81 Old 12-06-2017, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhks View Post
Instead of starting a new thread I'll just resurrect this one.

I temporarily mounted my px800hd on Monday. In a light controlled room just shining on a blueish/Gray wall it is amazing.
I was intending to buy a silver ticket in the 120-135" range and paint the walls very dark. However, with my temp mounting I have 135" horizontal measurement and it is plenty bright on eco with no artifacts. This has changed my thoughts on the screen. I'm thinking of painting the wall as a 150" diagonal screen instead.

For those with more experience, am I painting myself into a corner? Will the PJ be to dim as it goes through the initial 500 hr drop? It by bring happy with the brightness on eco should I be ok? I realize there is no definitive yes or no, but generally.

Anyway I will get some pics up here shortly of my non optimized setup
Greetings Silverhks.

As you are one of the few that actually owns the unit, hoep you don't mind me asking a few questions:

The online user manual does not list support for 24p in 2D, only 50/60p. Is this a actually the case?

Thank you and best regards,
post #19 of 81 Old 12-06-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Greetings Silverhks.

As you are one of the few that actually owns the unit, hoep you don't mind me asking a few questions:

The online user manual does not list support for 24p in 2D, only 50/60p. Is this a actually the case?

Thank you and best regards,
The short answer is I don't know.

The long answer is I'm not sure how to check. I am willing to try to find out but I currently have no 24p source material. Is there another way to check?
post #20 of 81 Old 12-07-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhks View Post
The short answer is I don't know.

The long answer is I'm not sure how to check. I am willing to try to find out but I currently have no 24p source material. Is there another way to check?
If supported, 1080p/24Hz will show up as one of the resolutions available for selection if a PC or Android TV box is connected to the projector.
post #21 of 81 Old 12-07-2017, 02:39 PM

I am currently waiting on a new HDMI cable to connect to the PC. As soon as it comes in I'll check it
post #22 of 81 Old 12-07-2017, 04:11 PM

Looking forward to reading your review of the PX800HD.
This is an interesting interim solution until a true 4K, laser UST is available.
post #23 of 81 Old 12-18-2017, 02:44 PM

@Goopy
Sorry about the delay getting back on this.
[email protected] Hz is not listed in the resolutions but I was able to enable it as a custom resolution. This is obviously no proof that it would play at that resolution but I got the desktop to display with no complications.

Unfortunately I am still working on getting the pics off my phone, for some reason my USB-C cable has decided to act up .

I am enjoying this PJ daily on my not perfect wall at ~150" diagonal. It is plenty bright and clear on eco and standard color mode. I do prefer the Rec. 709 settings when watching a bluray. Nothing quite equals watching an EPL match on it, although it painfully shows that some of the stadiums don't use the best of cameras.
post #24 of 81 Old 12-19-2017, 05:11 PM

Greetings Silverhks. Very kind of you to check. The LS820 seems to suffer from the same issue of lacking 1080p/24Hz support.

Other DLP UST are no better: the LG HF85JA lacks support for 1080p/50Hz, whiile the Dell S718QL lacks support for 1080p/50Hz & 24Hz.
post #25 of 81 Old 01-21-2018, 08:51 PM

Been following this forum for a while now. Based on the positive feedback I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger and purchase the Viewsonic PX800HD. After deliberating for some time I saw one brand new on eBay and made an offer of 1000 bucks and they accepted so I couldn't pass it up. I got it delivered yesterday and after about an hour of setup, Wow! I couldn't be happier with finally having an ultra short throw projector instead of my previous ones that I always had to find a way to best mount it to the ceiling. I move every couple of years or so for work so having to figure a way to run a long ass HDMI/power cable and removing ceiling fans to get them out of the line of sight was getting really old.

No More! Free at last!

The colors of the projector are spectacular and setup was a breeze. If I had any gripes, it would be the fan noise on Normal (Eco is much more tolerable) and definitely the brightness. The lower lumens as compared to other models is quite noticable. But I am using a "home-made" high contrast, low gain screen which could be a large factor for the lower visual brightness. it looks meh with the lights on but awesome with them off. Only downside is as mentioned by someone before, you can definitely see some image reflection on the ceiling since its a screen not meant for UST projectors

So next on the bucket list is a Ceiling Light Rejecting Screen to hopefully improve if not remedy the experience with the lights on and off.

Ill try to provide as many picture examples as possible.......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVIMG_20180120_114249.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	863.7 KB
ID:	2349362   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180120_115314.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	651.1 KB
ID:	2349364   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180120_115335.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2349366   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180120_122254.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	908.4 KB
ID:	2349368   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180120_175022.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	699.8 KB
ID:	2349370  

Name:	MVIMG_20180120_190905.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2349372   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180120_191112.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	920.7 KB
ID:	2349374   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180120_191127.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2349376   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180120_191416.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2349378   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180120_212012.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	547.0 KB
ID:	2349380  

Name:	MVIMG_20180121_102009.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	955.2 KB
ID:	2349382   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180121_102055.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	843.4 KB
ID:	2349384   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180121_102145.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	805.3 KB
ID:	2349386  
post #26 of 81 Old 01-23-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bone View Post
Been following this forum for a while now. Based on the positive feedback I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger and purchase the Viewsonic PX800HD. After deliberating for some time I saw one brand new on eBay and made an offer of 1000 bucks and they accepted so I couldn't pass it up. I got it delivered yesterday and after about an hour of setup, Wow! I couldn't be happier with finally having an ultra short throw projector instead of my previous ones that I always had to find a way to best mount it to the ceiling. I move every couple of years or so for work so having to figure a way to run a long ass HDMI/power cable and removing ceiling fans to get them out of the line of sight was getting really old.

No More! Free at last!

The colors of the projector are spectacular and setup was a breeze. If I had any gripes, it would be the fan noise on Normal (Eco is much more tolerable) and definitely the brightness. The lower lumens as compared to other models is quite noticable. But I am using a "home-made" high contrast, low gain screen which could be a large factor for the lower visual brightness. it looks meh with the lights on but awesome with them off. Only downside is as mentioned by someone before, you can definitely see some image reflection on the ceiling since its a screen not meant for UST projectors

So next on the bucket list is a Ceiling Light Rejecting Screen to hopefully improve if not remedy the experience with the lights on and off.

Ill try to provide as many picture examples as possible.......
Welcome to this seemingly under appreciated UST. What size screen do you have there?

The ceiling reflections are an issue that I believe is universal with UST unfortunately. I am in the process of repainting my room to help with this but I think some sort of dark hanging/tile above the screen could mitigate them.
post #27 of 81 Old 01-23-2018, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

UST projectors work great if you frame them in something like a bookshelf. Kills all "halo effect" light on the top which is hidden by the front frame molding, and on the sides by allowing it to project on the wall behind the bookshelf. Really gives it that 120" flat panel look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15167526833511361260304_1516752750969.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	2350266  
J Bone likes this.
post #28 of 81 Old 01-24-2018, 05:54 AM

That's the way to go, Marc. Thanks for sharing.
post #29 of 81 Old 01-25-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcad80 View Post
UST projectors work great if you frame them in something like a bookshelf. Kills all "halo effect" light on the top which is hidden by the front frame molding, and on the sides by allowing it to project on the wall behind the bookshelf. Really gives it that 120" flat panel look.
Really admire your setup alot! A favor if possible..... Could you please tell me the distance from the back of the projector to the wall and distance from the top of the projector to the lip of the screen?

I'm really trying to see if I can pull off a 120" screen over a 100" screen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #30 of 81 Old 01-25-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcad80 View Post
The PX800HD for strictly movie watching......

Its contrast is very good, even at very dark ambient levels. The color saturation is great as well, as accompanied by the great contrast. Black levels, this is a very hard thing to measure because it is hard to find content that has native good black levels. You can judge with anything that was shot with film (no true black), and many of the digitally shot videos don't truely project the "absence of light" for black as well. But I've looked at it in a "video off" mode, which should represent the best the projector can get a killing all projected light.

The projector definitely does the best for black level of any projector I have ever owned or seen on display. But it still does produce light on the screen when projecting pure black. A hand close to the screen will still cast a shadow from a black projection. I believe this is the same "dirty" light that is creating the halo effect.

Overall the picture still looks really good in total dark, but it looks best when very low ambient light in the room (like a theater). I have a led light array build into black crown molding that allows complete light and color control of the room (see picture attached).

If you looking at getting a UST projector though, the greatest thing about this projector is its ability to maintain perfect "squareness". That characteristic is amazing for a UST. It fits the screen perfectly without digital adjustment, and the pixel size and brightness is perfectly matched at any projected light level I've witnessed.
Marcad80 what screen are you using...that image with a little light is punchy as heck! I too, waited on the Epson LS100 but the blacks aren't nearly black enough for $3K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
bcp , bcp120 , px800hd , Viewsonic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page