Epson Home Cinema 2100 and 2150 HD Projectors Announced - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #391 of 410 Old 12-28-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just curious, but has anyone done any calibration for optimal settings of the 2150?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 410 Old 12-28-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Still working on optimal, contrast starts to blow out after 72, but I think that might still be a touch high, need to do lots more testing to be sure.

Brightness starts raising base blacks above 52 so that is where I am.

Color temp at 2 or 3 depending on screen color, I think 2 is most accurate but 3 looks more pleasing without tweaking the color values.

All processing off, fast processing over fine for gaming.

I still need to tweak more but this is where I am at currently at. Something is still off, but I can't quite place it. My goal is to get as close to the image my Sharp 70" puts out as possible.

Edit: Just turned on Super White and it fixed one of my main issues, no more oversaturation and bloom on faces.

Last edited by PENDRAG0ON; 12-28-2017 at 02:42 PM.
post #393 of 410 Old 12-28-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta View Post
Just curious, but has anyone done any calibration for optimal settings of the 2150?
i think it's pointless to share settings given the picture quality will change dramatically given the ambient light in your room, screen type you're using, and how far back you have the projector from the screen.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 410 Old 12-29-2017, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
i think it's pointless to share settings given the picture quality will change dramatically given the ambient light in your room, screen type you're using, and how far back you have the projector from the screen.
You're right of course, but I still think it can be helpful to projector novices like myself to hear how others are utilizing their projectors in general.
post #395 of 410 Old 12-29-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta View Post
You're right of course, but I still think it can be helpful to projector novices like myself to hear how others are utilizing their projectors in general.
the settings that you will constantly fiddle with depending on the source content will be the gamma & brightness, imo. i'll watch one movie and it looks amazing. watch another, and i find myself fiddling again.

set it & forget it settings would be things like color temp (too cool out of the box, would recommend lowering to get the picture warmer/more natural), turning off frame interpolation (yuck), changing image processing to fast, and turning down noise reduction to zero. i also leave the lamp in eco as full lamp brightness isn't needed and just wears the lamp out faster.

tint, color & sharpness don't need much adjustment imo.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
post #396 of 410 Old 12-30-2017, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
An update on my problem. I have found a temporary solution until I try go about getting a replacement. Projecting a smaller size helps to alleviate the lines. I made it, I dunno, lets say 10 inches smaller or so. Th lines are still there, but much less noticeable. I can now watch a whole film without worrying about being distracted by the lines every few minutes. Only problem now is the borders of unused projector screen now look kind of weird. Thankfully it's not that big of a deal or noticeable once you actually start watching a movie.
post #397 of 410 Old 12-30-2017, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car67 View Post
There is a misunderstanding maybe, I meant the link of a common youtube video/trailer that gives you that artifact and that we can play on our projectors and see those lines, while playing.
Yeah I misread your post somehow and realised as soon as I posted my reply. But then couldn't figure out how to edit posts on here. My bad.

Anyway basically the lines appear in many scenes. One that comes to mind is in Batman Begins when Bruce Wayne returns to his company and the receptionist asks for his name. Lines appear when he says "Bruce Wayne". Lines appear as he moves his face to answer.
post #398 of 410 Old 12-30-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
Still working on optimal, contrast starts to blow out after 72, but I think that might still be a touch high, need to do lots more testing to be sure.

Brightness starts raising base blacks above 52 so that is where I am.

Color temp at 2 or 3 depending on screen color, I think 2 is most accurate but 3 looks more pleasing without tweaking the color values.

All processing off, fast processing over fine for gaming.

I still need to tweak more but this is where I am at currently at. Something is still off, but I can't quite place it. My goal is to get as close to the image my Sharp 70" puts out as possible.

Edit: Just turned on Super White and it fixed one of my main issues, no more oversaturation and bloom on faces.

Don't take this the wrong way but...

Which Sharp LCD do you have and is it calibrated? The reason I ask is before Sharp sold their name to a Chinese manufacturer they weren't exactly known for having an accurate picture out of the box. I remember helping a friend set up their 70" Sharp some years back and was fairly shocked how bad the picture was out of the box. My reason for pointing this out is your Sharp might not be an ideal point of reference.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #399 of 410 Old 12-30-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 602
The original Sharp 70" (70LE732) Which I have continued to tweak over the years to adjust for calibration drift as it has aged. The base settings are indeed inaccurate as hell, good thing I never used them.
post #400 of 410 Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What do you recommend at the bright walls from the 288cm away from the screen in a darkened room. I will assemble a home screen with dark tikurilla j499 or k499 paint. (Optiwa 3 or interior Paint). I will depend on good black and I can not decide whether to buy an epson 6700 projector (hc3700) or buy an epson tw5650 (hc 2150) projector. It is known that epson 6700 has better contrast but whether at my close distance, with a screen size of about 95 inches, it will not be a bright projector, which will lose the better contrast and the black will be gray.
post #401 of 410 Old 01-23-2018, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Has anyone integrated this projector with Control4 system?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #402 of 410 Old 01-24-2018, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Why can't I select anything else? Coming from xbox or my fire tv. I want to zoom sometimes to fill the screen. Some stuff I don't want letter box on

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
post #403 of 410 Old 02-08-2018, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Red face Epson 2150 noob.

Can someone please direct me to where the calibration specs are for an Epson 2150? Thanks.
Am I supposed to calibrate my projector??
post #404 of 410 Old 02-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrizo28 View Post
Can someone please direct me to where the calibration specs are for an Epson 2150? Thanks.
Am I supposed to calibrate my projector??
I calibrated mine at least partially. I am not an expert, but if you go to this AVSForum thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html you can download the mp4 versions of the calibration files from the first post. I used the mirror site: http://w6rz.net/ and downloaded the self-extracting mp4 version of the "AVS HD 709 Calibration Disk". I did the "Basic Settings" section and a few of the patterns under "Misc Patterns" (once you download the MP4 those are folders in the unzipped files). I don't have a blue filter so I wasn't able to do the Color and Tint, but I will probably order that just to try it. If you have a blu-ray burner you could also make the Blu-ray, but the laptop with HDMI out is probably simpler.

Also you probably want to mess with the frame interpolation, it defaulted to on and it looked terrible watching action movies (ex. Captain America Civil War), it was like they were in the matrix with weird halos around them as they moved. I ended up leaving it off and thought the SuperBowl looked great, obviously you might prefer it on for sports, but I would definitely take a look at that setting!

Here is what I ended up doing, but I think it really depends on the conditions in your room so I wouldn't just use my changes directly. I now understand what the projectorreviews and other websites mean when they say it is mostly calibrated out-of-the-box since I only made small tweaks. Also the notes won't make much sense until you pull down the mp4s and the PDF that describes what to do! Note that I did this with the auto-iris and you need to be careful with that because as you move through the screens the iris seems to stay locked on or off so it changes what you see especially on the Black and white levels. To get around it I just closed the mp4 and then opened it back up, this change in the display caused the iris to reset.

All calibration done with these settings
Power Consumption = ECO
Color Mode = Cinema
Auto Iris = Normal
Lamp Hours = 45 (will need to do again after more hours on the bulb)
Screen = 132" 16:9 DIY Spandex milliskin white over milliskin black (gain is less than 1, probably closer to .8)

Black Level: "1-Black Clipping.mp4"
Brightness = 45
Can see 18 flashing, but even at 100 brightness 17 never flashes
45 keeps good black while still having 18 flash, going higher made the black turn to gray and 17 didn't flash

White Level: "2-APL Clipping.mp4" and "3-White Clipping.mp4"
Contrast = 60
Can see 234 and lower flashing, even at 0 can't see above 234 flashing
60 keeps white without washing out and still allowing 234 to flash

Don't have a blue filter so can't do Color and Tint as in PDF

Color Clipping: "A - Additional/4-Color Clipping.mp4"
Red and Blue flashed to 234
In "Advanced/RGBCMY" made following changes
Green: Saturation = 45 (green now flashes to 234 to match red)

Sharpness: "5-Sharpness and Overscan.mp4", also "B - Various/4-Star Chart.mp4"
Sharpness = 1
Image Preset Mode = 2 => MPEG Noise Reduction = 1, Detail Enhancement = 25
Image Preset Mode 2 looked best
Star Chart could not completely replicate the laptop sharpness (the star was perfect in the middle on the laptop), so left sharpness at 1 and Image Mode 2 for best compromise
post #405 of 410 Old 03-25-2018, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My experience: it was gorgeous when it worked, which was never for long.

First unit: worked for less than a week, then went to a state of flashing blue status light, solid orange lamp light, no display at all. I try turning it on while plugged into a different location/circuit, no luck. I look up troubleshooting instructions on Epson's site, re-seat the lamp & cover, make sure that there is nothing blocking up the filter. Still no luck, unit is dead. I initiate a replacement with Amazon, who cross-ships (so I know I got a different unit) a replacement.

Second unit: worked for less than 60 days, then failed in exactly the same way. As such, I try the same troubleshooting, and again, no luck. Returning to Amazon.

I see others in this thread have had this same problem with this unit. Is it just a lemon model? Should I not trust Amazon with a projector? It is just a real nut-punch to finally build a home theater and then have two of these well-reviewed units die in exactly the same way after experiencing minimal use.
post #406 of 410 Old 04-17-2018, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been liking my 2150, but it in the last 2 nights it's been shutting down about once every 2 hours or so. I've tried 2 power strips, and it did it on both. I'm taking it to Best Buy tomorrow to see about getting it exchanged (bought 15 days ago).

I'm a bit worried about the power cable though--I may have mixed it up with the similar Benq HT2050's power cable earlier. Can someone check the female end and see if it has "SET EF-28 10A 125V" or "I-SHENG IS-14 10A 125V 1250W"?
post #407 of 410 Old 04-17-2018, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
I've been liking my 2150, but it in the last 2 nights it's been shutting down about once every 2 hours or so. I've tried 2 power strips, and it did it on both. I'm taking it to Best Buy tomorrow to see about getting it exchanged (bought 15 days ago).

I'm a bit worried about the power cable though--I may have mixed it up with the similar Benq HT2050's power cable earlier. Can someone check the female end and see if it has "SET EF-28 10A 125V" or "I-SHENG IS-14 10A 125V 1250W"?
My 2100 says SET EF-28 but I doubt it's the power cord unless you just didn't push it all the way in. Any power cord with with proper AWG and connections would work the same.
post #408 of 410 Old 04-30-2018, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Can anyone tell me if I plug a component to HDMI cable into the HDMI 2 port on my 2100, and aspect ratio the projector is getting is 16:9, will I then be able to change it through the projector to 4:3? I'm having a problem with streaming an app through Chromecast, it thinks it's supposed to be 16:9 because of Chromecast but on my PS3 it works as 4:3, but the PS3 side of things has audio skipping issues ugh. I also have some DVDs that have problematic aspect ratios so it will be nice if I had control over changing the aspect ratio of my projector whenever I need to.

Last edited by Maze810; 04-30-2018 at 10:54 PM.
post #409 of 410 Old 07-02-2018, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I recently purchased Epson 2100 Platinum edition brand new model. After 27h of use, the bulb started flickering slightly on eco mode, but when i set it to normal mode the problem was corrected. But then when i start watching again, the projector won't turn on, the fan is starting but no picture. I see an orange led blinking on the lamp
post #410 of 410 Old 07-07-2018, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Magtoto View Post
I recently purchased Epson 2100 Platinum edition brand new model. After 27h of use, the bulb started flickering slightly on eco mode, but when i set it to normal mode the problem was corrected. But then when i start watching again, the projector won't turn on, the fan is starting but no picture. I see an orange led blinking on the lamp
Here is the signal light sigification for the 2150 on the Canadian site. Please remove the quotes, I am not allowed to put an internet site in a message.

"https://epson.ca/faq/SPT_V11H852020~faq-00003f6-hc2100_2150"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
3lcd , Epson , home cinema 2100 , home cinema 2150

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page