upgrading from a 65" tv to a projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-26-2017, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
upgrading from a 65" tv to a projector

Hi everyone, I have been a long time reader here just never had the time to post. So recently I purchased a townhome and have been using a 65" Ks9000 for movies and tv but mostly movies. My couch is 16 feet from the wall where my tv is located. My Tv currently sits on a tv stand and is off set from the wall by two feet so my viewing distance is 14 feet then. So my question is what would be the best projector and screen set up? Iam thinking of at least 110-130" non At screen. I can black out 98% of the light but would like to watch some Football and TV during the day with the lights on. I would like to stay with a 4k but dont want to spend 2k on just a projector. Most of the content that I have is 1080p with 20 or so movies in 4k.

Here are a list of some of the Projectors that I have been looking at. These are all from Best buy as that is where I have CC at. With the 4k, it puts me over the 2k for the projector but that is what I would compare my current image quality against.

Optoma - GT1080Darbee 1080p DLP Projector -
Optoma - 1080p DLP Gaming Projector - White
Model: GT1080
Optoma - UHD60 4K DLP Projector with High Dynamic Range
Optoma - HD142X 1080p 3D DLP Projector - Black
Epson - Home Cinema 2045 LCD Projector - White
Epson - Home Cinema 4000 3LCD Projector with 4K Enhancement and HDR
BenQ - 1080p DLP Projector - White
Model: HT2050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-29-2017, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

I want to thank everyone for their help.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-30-2017, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow! No one has anything to say about projectors?

LG 4k HDTV 65UK6500AUA with Harmony 650 remote
Dish HOPPER with Sling
TiVo Roamio OTA
Onkyo TX-NR676 with Polk 7.1 speakers
Samsung UBD KM85c Blu Ray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-30-2017, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Al of the projectors that you have listed will do what you want. At 16' from the projector you want one as bright (lumens) as possible.

Do you plan to "game" with it (console or PC).

I had the Optoma 1080P with darbee and was very satisfied with it. No need to spend $2,000.00 on the UHD60.

Good luck
post #5 of 10 Old 08-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I have a similar setup in our condo. The LR is 18.5ft deep and 14.5ft wide with 8ft concrete ceilings. Rather than drill into the ceiling I mounted a refurbed Epson 730HD (replacing an Optoma HD66) onto a plywood false ceiling (mounted on two shelf brackets). The 730HD is bright enough that I can watch TV in the daytime, with the curtains at the seating end of the room open. I have the zoom adjusted so that I get a 16x10 143in diagonal ( 76in high x 122in wide) image. 16x10 is better for watching older films in 4x3 format and it's better for web surfing and I like to use my projector for that. I am considering replacing the 730HD with a 1040HD for the better resolution although my preference would be a BenQ MU686 but I just can't make it work with my current projector placement. At some point I will bite the bullet and mount a 3/4in by 6in wide by 8ft long piece of painted pine shelving onto the ceiling to give me more or less unlimited ceiling mount position options and I'll repaint the wall with a higher gain paint. I use a Phillips 5.1 combined blu-ray amp system for sound as it has 5 aux sound inputs and can accomodate all my video source sound outputs along with a 4x1 HDMI switch.

I have it projected onto a painted wall (TVwhite) so that the top of the image is just slightly ( ~1in) below the ceiling. Theoretically this causes vertical keystone errors, but they are small enough that my wife and I (nor any of our guests) cannot visually detect them because the painted wall has no vertical reference lines as are found on screens and I have not needed to use the digital keystone correction. Projector screens are a pain in the *ss IMHO because they force too precise height positioning unless you have lots of vertical lens shift and they clutter the room.

Watching hockey games with a 140in screen is awesome as is surfing the web from the comfort of my easy chair.

Regarding your projector choices, you first have to decide whether you want a ceiling or low shelf mount and where in the room do you want to place the projector. You then have to plan your cable runs. I suspect that these decisions will help narrow your choice of projector. I would like to go with 4K in the future but that means some major upgrades in terms of 4K capable computer and 4K Blu-ray players.

In your place I would ceiling mount it to give a ~140 in diagonal image onto a painted wall (ditch the TV because you won't want to watch it anymore) but this in turn will cause placement problems with some of projectors you mention.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-30-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
I have an Optoma HD730 that I use for outside movie projection, and it is great.
I did have an Optoma HD-25, but was subjective to RBE(rain bow effect). Get one with the most lumens. I would not just dive into 4K just yet, as CEDIA is only a short time away, and with announcements of new toys, others will be looking to sell their current equipment and a decent price. I went with a Sony 40 ES for 1080P, as I only have a small amount of 4K material. You can find deals in the projector section like this:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-fr...pl-hw40es.html
$900 for a Sony is a great deal, and throw a great picture. I won't comment on the BenQ, because I have no experience.
I have an 106' screen from about 12.5 ft away. Good luck hunting, as football season is upon us. I do have a 65' tv in the other room, but refuse to watch sports/movie on it. Once you get a projector, you will love it, and find yourself watching more and more on your new big screen......
post #7 of 10 Old 08-30-2017, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I will be watching TV and movies most of the time and I do have an HTPC that I can game on. I would need to get a stud finder and check the ceiling as I dont have any access to the plans for the town house. I will skip the 4k for now but run the HDMI for it, so I can upgrade. my next question would be is it best to get the Projector and then figure out your screen size? I do have a un used mount for a fan in the middle of the viewing area, so hopfully i can mod a bracket that way i wont have to worry about drilling multiple holes into the ceiling and the mount is lined up with where the screen would go but I dont know the trow distance yet. I guess need to do a little more research. But I think I narrowed it down to an Optoma - HD142X current price of $549.99, Optoma - GT1080Darbee 1080p DLP for $799.99 or a Epson or a Home Cinema 2045 LCD for $650. I will try and Add some Pictures later today. Then I still need to price out a screen.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-30-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
@FN2817 , you threw out such a hodge-podge of different projector models at different price ranges and with different throw ranges that it may have kept some from even responding and trying to deal with it. Obviously a case could be made both in favor and against every single model you listed based on price, performance, features and user preferences.

It would really help if you could narrow things down a little. For example, the 4k models you mention aren't true, 100% 4k but only have partial 4k capabilities. True 4k is still way out of your price range. That's why some are settling for good 1080p models and waiting for 4k prices to come down. Do you really want to exceed your preferred budget to get a model that's not 100% true 4k?

Then there's throw range. The Optoma GT1080 and GT1080Darbee are short throw models without a zoom lens. They must be a specific distance from the screen to throw a specific size image. For example, you mention a screen size of from 110"-130". Those two Optoma models can only throw a 110" image from a distance of exactly 3' 11" as measured from the front of the lens to the screen. If the projector is 3' 10" from the screen the image will be a little smaller than a 110" screen and if 4' from the screen the image will be a little bigger than a 110" screen. For a 130" image it would need to be exactly 4' 8" from the screen.

On the other hand the BenQ HT2050 can only throw a 110" image from a range of 9' 2" to 12' lens to screen depending on the amount of zoom used, and for a 130" image the range is 10' 11" to 14' 2". The other projector models you mention all have different throw ranges. So if you have a specific projector mounting location and screen size in mind not all of the projector models you mention are going to be able to do that.

You also have a mix of LCD and DLP models. They're different technologies with different strengths and weaknesses and some people argue over which is "best" like owners of Ford and Chevy pickup trucks. So your original post is like opening a Pandora's box of conflicting options. For starters you would benefit greatly by doing a little research like reading basic primers on front projection comparing such basics as 3LCD and DLP and short throw vs. long throw as well as professional reviews of the models you might have interest in. Once you narrow your selection down a little it will be much easier for other forum members to make recommendations to you.

EDIT: I see that like magic you narrowed things down just as I was in process of writing the above.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-30-2017, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yes you are right, I did throw a lot of different models DLP vs LCD and then 4k or 1080. I know I would not be getting true 4k thats why Iam going with a good 1080p. I Do need to figure out the screen size I want first and then work up from there. Because once I figure out the screen size I can narrow down the projector that will work best for my room. I will try and get some pictures and make up some sketches to help lay things out.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-30-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
@FN2817 , just for a rough starting point, an average or typical preference for a 16:9 aspect ratio projection screen size is about 10" of diagonal per 1' of viewing distance, so a 100" screen from 10' or a 120" screen from 12', etc. But there's a huge variability in individual user preference, with some preferring larger/closer and others smaller/further away, so don't let anyone else's preferences influence what may work best for you. The ideal projection image is large enough to be much more cinematic and immersive than TV but not so large as to cause eyestrain when trying to follow fast action sequences. Think of it in terms of how much of your field of vision you like the screen to fill when you pick what row you prefer to sit in at a commercial cinema -- near the front, middle or back of the theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page