5040 vs sony 45 vs optoma uhd65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 08-30-2017, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
trmusicteez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
5040 vs sony 45 vs optoma uhd65

I know, I know. A lot of these posts are coming up as of recent , but its because we need you guys help!
I have visited other posts regarding the features of these projectors and I believe have done my fair share of research before this post.

I am purchasing my first home. Its a raised ranch, pretty small area, unfortunately it has beams running in the middle of the basement . Not looking to build a dedicated cinema, The room can be light controlled, but I plan on football every Sunday w. some light, and when its movie time I would like great blacks. (currently a plasma st60 owner, primary living room tv) Just so you know blacks do mean alot to me.

My budget is $3000 or less.
-length of area is 15' long, 9' wide.
-looking to have 110' screen

-Which projector will be best minimizing pixels being viewed at closer distance? I am trying to force 2 rows of 3 seats somehow.
-When is comes to ambient light , does one of these projectors claim KING
-which projector does the best job of scaling or processing regular tv content

I have attached pics of the room.

If anyone has ideas about setting up the projector another way pls feel free to chime in. THANK YOU TO YOU ALL!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.png
Views:	381
Size:	3.99 MB
ID:	2275518   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.png
Views:	339
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	2275520  

Last edited by trmusicteez; 08-30-2017 at 04:25 PM.
trmusicteez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 47 Old 08-30-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TheBrandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,573
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Wait for IFA and CEDIA. Buy an RS420 when they get discounted due to the new ones moving in. Seriously, this is your best play period. No way you can jump to a 120" screen?
TheBrandon is offline  
post #3 of 47 Old 08-30-2017, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
madermat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 34
the pixel gap on the sony is tight have not seen uhd 65 it should be better (2x) i have seen the epson and its really nice . i have the sony i like the epson alittle better then the sony
madermat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 47 Old 08-30-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9,467
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 4005
For starters you can scratch the UHD65 as its native black levels happen to be its weakest point and would be unsatisfactory to anyone coming from a plasma. It's just not in the same class as the other two when it comes to blacks. Either of the other two could work for you. The 5040UB has extra features the HW45ES lacks such as memory lens, but it also costs more. So you need to carefully review the 5040UB's extra features and decide if they are important to you. If not you can save about $600 going with the HW45ES. At least I helped you cut your choices down to 2.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #5 of 47 Old 08-30-2017, 05:05 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmusicteez View Post
I know, I know. A lot of these posts are coming up as of recent , but its because we need you guys help!
I have visited other posts regarding the features of these projectors and I believe have done my fair share of research before this post.

I am purchasing my first home. Its a raised ranch, pretty small area, unfortunately it has beams running in the middle of the basement . Not looking to build a dedicated cinema, The room can be light controlled, but I plan on football every Sunday w. some light, and when its movie time I would like great blacks. (currently a plasma st60 owner, primary living room tv) Just so you know blacks do mean alot to me.

My budget is $3000 or less.
-length of area is 15' long, 9' wide.
-looking to have 110' screen

-Which projector will be best minimizing pixels being viewed at closer distance? I am trying to force 2 rows of 3 seats somehow.
-When is comes to ambient light , does one of these projectors claim KING
-which projector does the best job of scaling or processing regular tv content

I have attached pics of the room.

If anyone has ideas about setting up the projector another way pls feel free to chime in. THANK YOU TO YOU ALL!!
Optoma UH65's blacks are terrible. So scratch that off your list. The Sony HW45ES has good native contrast and fairly good black levels. The Epson 5040UB will be the brightest out of the bunch and have the deepest black levels when it's dynamic iris is engaged.
LumensLover is offline  
post #6 of 47 Old 08-30-2017, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
trmusicteez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post
Wait for IFA and CEDIA. Buy an RS420 when they get discounted due to the new ones moving in. Seriously, this is your best play period. No way you can jump to a 120" screen?
Im really hoping I can. I plan on buying the projector first, then try to figure out how i can squeeze 2 rows without seeing pixels. If bringing the size down does the trick then i have no choice. I will look into the rs420. Thanks
TheBrandon likes this.
trmusicteez is offline  
post #7 of 47 Old 08-30-2017, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
trmusicteez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
For starters you can scratch the UHD65 as its native black levels happen to be its weakest point and would be unsatisfactory to anyone coming from a plasma. It's just not in the same class as the other two when it comes to blacks. Either of the other two could work for you. The 5040UB has extra features the HW45ES lacks such as memory lens, but it also costs more. So you need to carefully review the 5040UB's extra features and decide if they are important to you. If not you can save about $600 going with the HW45ES. At least I helped you cut your choices down to 2.
can you shed any light regarding the processing with cable/satellite between the epson and sony?
trmusicteez is offline  
post #8 of 47 Old 08-30-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9,467
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmusicteez View Post
can you shed any light regarding the processing with cable/satellite between the epson and sony?
The better the projector the more unforgiving it is of lower quality content. In bringing out the finer details it also brings out the finer artifacts that may not be so visible with a lesser quality projector. Since cable broadcasts are compressed you will see more difference between cable and Blu-ray quality with either of your two remaining candidate projectors than you would with a cheaper projector. Of course it's all magnified over what you see on your plasma because the image is so much bigger.

Sony and Epson both have good processing, but in the end GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) rules. I would not base my projector purchase decision on which model makes garbage look better but which makes the best image with the best content. The HW45ES and 5040UB are arguably the best overall models at their respective pricepoints. There is really not going to be a dramatic difference in image quality. The differences are going to be subtle.

I would suggest that you search for and read all of the professional reviews of these two models on projectorcentral.com, projectorreviews.com and all the other good online review sites. I think no matter how many reviews you read or how many forum members you get advice from it's not going to be an easy decision. Both projectors are really that good.

Since you mentioned that you are going with a 110" screen and @LumensLover mentioned that the 5040UB can go a little brighter than the HW45ES, I'll just add the following quote about brightness from the projectorcentral.com review of the HW45ES:

Quote:
Video quality is easily good enough in all modes to simply pick the mode with the best brightness match for the ambient light level and screen size you want to use. For our video optimized setting, we started with Bright Cinema and tweaked it for slightly better color. That actually boosted the brightness to 1719 lumens, making it bright enough for a 190" diagonal 16:9 image in theater dark lighting, or a 120" image with moderate ambient light.
jpbonadio likes this.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #9 of 47 Old 08-30-2017, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 3,126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 237
If you consider the JVC RS420 checkout issues with its frame interpolation (aka CMD) and very slow (20 seconds?) syncing when changing certain settings like HDMI-related settings (info posted on AVSForum) and also compare lamp replacement cost to the others (sticker shock!). No 3D on the UHD65 if that matters to you.

Last edited by WynsWrld98; 08-30-2017 at 09:53 PM.
WynsWrld98 is offline  
post #10 of 47 Old 08-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been trying to decide between these myself (add JVC to the mix as well) for my small basement HT (11'x13' room). I think I have decided to get the RS-400U now that it is about the same price as the 5040UB (spare bulb can be had for an extra $100). I compared the two in action recently and the JVC really lived up to the hype about it's superior black levels. I am not a gamer and so input lag is of no concern to me.

-D
DeepAction is offline  
post #11 of 47 Old 08-31-2017, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I have the 45ES and I really like it. The picture quality is really good out the box. I can't speak to the Epson, as I've never seen it in action.
Dirk504 is offline  
post #12 of 47 Old 08-31-2017, 12:54 PM
Member
 
MartyMcFlyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 70
no handling of 4K content and no HDR with 45ES, not sure if it has lens memory etc ...

Here you have interesting comparison to previous JVC model (which is not very different from 420):

http://www.projectorreviews.com/comp...arison-review/

I am in the same situation choosing now the projector. I was considering RS420, 5040UB and UHD65.

Since contrast matters to me these two are left: 5040UB and RS420.

You may also read my observations I posted here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...l#post54630564

There are also new JVC models to be announced at IFA so there may be worth to check them out or buy previous model.

Home theater: JVC X7900, Denon AVR-X4300H, amps:Teac AI-2000, 2x A5500,Oppo UDP-203, Adeo 113" Prestige, ATV4K,NVS TV,Harmony Elite,Alexa; PS4 Pro; Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Dali Z7,Z5,Z1,Phantom, 2x E-12F; zone2: LG OLED 65 C8, LG UP970.Stereo: Pioneer SX-N30, Jamo C97, Akai BT500,S.Mani+MP110; Stereo2: Teac CD2000+AI-2000, Zensor7 Net/PC: HP Omen 880-180nw, 28"UE570 UHD, QNAP 670 Pro i7, UPS CP900LCD, RT-AC87U merlin.

Last edited by MartyMcFlyy; 08-31-2017 at 01:14 PM.
MartyMcFlyy is offline  
post #13 of 47 Old 08-31-2017, 02:48 PM
Senior Member
 
NetViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFlyy View Post
no handling of 4K content and no HDR with 45ES, not sure if it has lens memory etc ...

Here you have interesting comparison to previous JVC model (which is not very different from 420):

http://www.projectorreviews.com/comp...arison-review/

I am in the same situation choosing now the projector. I was considering RS420, 5040UB and UHD65.

Since contrast matters to me these two are left: 5040UB and RS420.

You may also read my observations I posted here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...l#post54630564

There are also new JVC models to be announced at IFA so there may be worth to check them out or buy previous model.
Projector people said no new Jvc or Epson coming at cedia, at least at this price point.
NetViper is offline  
post #14 of 47 Old 08-31-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9,467
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFlyy View Post
no handling of 4K content and no HDR with 45ES, not sure if it has lens memory etc ...
No lens memory with the HW45ES. But lens memory is only a convenience if you plan to have a 2.35:1 aspect ratio screen and want to frequently switch back and forth between 2.35:1 and 16:9 content and keep them at the same image height. Lens memory would go unused with a 16:9 screen, which I have and which is one of the reasons it made sense to me to save hundreds of dollars by going with the HW45ES.
remenakb likes this.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #15 of 47 Old 08-31-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 3,126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
No lens memory with the HW45ES. But lens memory is only a convenience if you plan to have a 2.35:1 aspect ratio screen and want to frequently switch back and forth between 2.35:1 and 16:9 content and keep them at the same image height. Lens memory would go unused with a 16:9 screen, which I have and which is one of the reasons it made sense to me to save hundreds of dollars by going with the HW45ES.
Marty, you're missing out, probably 90% of recent movies are 2.35:1 ratio not 16.9 and look fantastic when projected that way with black velvet masking. I'm totally sold on switching between 16:9 and 2.35:1!
WynsWrld98 is offline  
post #16 of 47 Old 08-31-2017, 08:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFlyy View Post
no handling of 4K content and no HDR with 45ES, not sure if it has lens memory etc ...

Here you have interesting comparison to previous JVC model (which is not very different from 420):

http://www.projectorreviews.com/comp...arison-review/

I am in the same situation choosing now the projector. I was considering RS420, 5040UB and UHD65.

Since contrast matters to me these two are left: 5040UB and RS420.

You may also read my observations I posted here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...l#post54630564

There are also new JVC models to be announced at IFA so there may be worth to check them out or buy previous model.
Aren't there a few issues with the 5040 showing HDR content? At least that's what I read in the dedicated thread. And that's what really separates 1080p from 4k.

My plan is to keep my Sony 45es, until Sony releases a true 4K projector with HDR for around $3k. I'll invest once some of the kinks are fixed.
Dirk504 is offline  
post #17 of 47 Old 08-31-2017, 11:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
k3nnis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepAction View Post
I have been trying to decide between these myself (add JVC to the mix as well) for my small basement HT (11'x13' room). I think I have decided to get the RS-400U now that it is about the same price as the 5040UB (spare bulb can be had for an extra $100). I compared the two in action recently and the JVC really lived up to the hype about it's superior black levels. I am not a gamer and so input lag is of no concern to me.

-D


What size screen do you plan to get?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k3nnis is offline  
post #18 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 01:29 AM
Member
 
MartyMcFlyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
Aren't there a few issues with the 5040 showing HDR content? At least that's what I read in the dedicated thread. And that's what really separates 1080p from 4k.

My plan is to keep my Sony 45es, until Sony releases a true 4K projector with HDR for around $3k. I'll invest once some of the kinks are fixed.
not sure what HDR issues you are referring to as 5040ub is currently one of the best projector for HDR when calibrated in its price range thanks to its brightness with Harpervision or Oldeurt's settings. The good thing about it there is a big knowledge base collected by far.
Even with limitation of HDMI bandwitch which matters for gamers its a projector easy to live with.

Home theater: JVC X7900, Denon AVR-X4300H, amps:Teac AI-2000, 2x A5500,Oppo UDP-203, Adeo 113" Prestige, ATV4K,NVS TV,Harmony Elite,Alexa; PS4 Pro; Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Dali Z7,Z5,Z1,Phantom, 2x E-12F; zone2: LG OLED 65 C8, LG UP970.Stereo: Pioneer SX-N30, Jamo C97, Akai BT500,S.Mani+MP110; Stereo2: Teac CD2000+AI-2000, Zensor7 Net/PC: HP Omen 880-180nw, 28"UE570 UHD, QNAP 670 Pro i7, UPS CP900LCD, RT-AC87U merlin.
MartyMcFlyy is offline  
post #19 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 04:32 AM
Member
 
MartyMcFlyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetViper View Post
Projector people said no new Jvc or Epson coming at cedia, at least at this price point.
https://www.avforums.com/news/ifa-20...nnounced.13852

at this price point - I agree

Home theater: JVC X7900, Denon AVR-X4300H, amps:Teac AI-2000, 2x A5500,Oppo UDP-203, Adeo 113" Prestige, ATV4K,NVS TV,Harmony Elite,Alexa; PS4 Pro; Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Dali Z7,Z5,Z1,Phantom, 2x E-12F; zone2: LG OLED 65 C8, LG UP970.Stereo: Pioneer SX-N30, Jamo C97, Akai BT500,S.Mani+MP110; Stereo2: Teac CD2000+AI-2000, Zensor7 Net/PC: HP Omen 880-180nw, 28"UE570 UHD, QNAP 670 Pro i7, UPS CP900LCD, RT-AC87U merlin.
MartyMcFlyy is offline  
post #20 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 07:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFlyy View Post
not sure what HDR issues you are referring to as 5040ub is currently one of the best projector for HDR when calibrated in its price range thanks to its brightness with Harpervision or Oldeurt's settings. The good thing about it there is a big knowledge base collected by far.
Even with limitation of HDMI bandwitch which matters for gamers its a projector easy to live with.
Lol... just read through the owners thread. I'm not sure if settings have been adjusted so that everyone can now take advantage of HDR, but there were plenty of complaints regarding the HDR not working with certain players and not appearing correctly. I'm not saying that this is a reason for the OP to disregard the Epson, esp if this can be resolved through calibration like you stated, but it is something he should be aware of before buying. And since it's not real 4k, maybe the OP can save a few hundred bucks and use it towards audio.

Anywho for the OP, unless you need lens shift and faux K, I would look at the 45es. I also own a Samsung 8000 4k TV in my living room and when company visits, they're more impressed with the picture the Sony gives. The extra cash can be used to upgrade to better speakers, or Dolby Atmos if you haven't already. Just my 2 cents.
Dirk504 is offline  
post #21 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
What size screen do you plan to get?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i already have a 110" 16x9 Silver Ticket screen (white). My decision to get the JVC RS400 is complicated by the fact that JVC just announced new models and so the RS400 becomes a 2-year old model. Hopefully they drop the price on the RS400 more to get rid of the remaining stock before the RS420 goes on clearance.

-D
DeepAction is offline  
post #22 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 7,066
Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked: 3173
The Sony 45ES will have arguably the best picture with 1080p sources. It has the greatest native contrast of the three and has virtually no pixel gap. The Optoma has arguably the best HDR 4k picture of the bunch as it has the greatest resolution of the three but is somewhat limited in terms of features and placement flexibility and will need a bit more adjustment out of the box to get the picture looking right. It is also unsuitable for gamers. The 5040 has the best feature set of the bunch and is a bit of a jack-of-all trades. If you're like a lot of people and will be viewing a good mix of 1080p and 4k content it's a great compromise as it supports enhanced resolution while being a better 1080p projector than the UHD65.
WynsWrld98 likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #23 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Member
 
MartyMcFlyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
Lol... just read through the owners thread. I'm not sure if settings have been adjusted so that everyone can now take advantage of HDR, but there were plenty of complaints regarding the HDR not working with certain players and not appearing correctly. I'm not saying that this is a reason for the OP to disregard the Epson, esp if this can be resolved through calibration like you stated, but it is something he should be aware of before buying. And since it's not real 4k, maybe the OP can save a few hundred bucks and use it towards audio.

Anywho for the OP, unless you need lens shift and faux K, I would look at the 45es. I also own a Samsung 8000 4k TV in my living room and when company visits, they're more impressed with the picture the Sony gives. The extra cash can be used to upgrade to better speakers, or Dolby Atmos if you haven't already. Just my 2 cents.
At first yes it was reported as a problem but this was resolved. It was at start when some of first players were not able to pass 10bit 4.2.0 signal (like Samsung UBD player, never was a problem with Panasonic U700/U900 players). Same thing is valid for some native 4K Sony projectors that also have 10gbit HDMi despite being much more expensive.
The only restriction now is you are not able to game in 4K and HDR same time.
I am also not that eager to sink my cash into faux 4k but this is good compromise at asking price.
Dirk504 likes this.

Home theater: JVC X7900, Denon AVR-X4300H, amps:Teac AI-2000, 2x A5500,Oppo UDP-203, Adeo 113" Prestige, ATV4K,NVS TV,Harmony Elite,Alexa; PS4 Pro; Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Dali Z7,Z5,Z1,Phantom, 2x E-12F; zone2: LG OLED 65 C8, LG UP970.Stereo: Pioneer SX-N30, Jamo C97, Akai BT500,S.Mani+MP110; Stereo2: Teac CD2000+AI-2000, Zensor7 Net/PC: HP Omen 880-180nw, 28"UE570 UHD, QNAP 670 Pro i7, UPS CP900LCD, RT-AC87U merlin.

Last edited by MartyMcFlyy; 09-01-2017 at 10:12 AM.
MartyMcFlyy is offline  
post #24 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 09:57 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
The Sony 45ES will have arguably the best picture with 1080p sources. It has the greatest native contrast of the three and has virtually no pixel gap. The Optoma has arguably the best HDR 4k picture of the bunch as it has the greatest resolution of the three but is somewhat limited in terms of features and placement flexibility and will need a bit more adjustment out of the box to get the picture looking right. It is also unsuitable for gamers. The 5040 has the best feature set of the bunch and is a bit of a jack-of-all trades. If you're like a lot of people and will be viewing a good mix of 1080p and 4k content it's a great compromise as it supports enhanced resolution while being a better 1080p projector than the UHD65.
If the Sony HW45ES had a brighter eco mode and if the bulb flicker bs was fixed, I would consider it the perfect projector under $3,000.
sage11x likes this.
LumensLover is offline  
post #25 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9,467
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
Marty, you're missing out, probably 90% of recent movies are 2.35:1 ratio not 16.9 and look fantastic when projected that way with black velvet masking. I'm totally sold on switching between 16:9 and 2.35:1!
My wife and I watch more old classic films than new blockbusters. In fact my wife is a big fan of old black and white movies in 4:3 aspect ratio. Much of the Blu-ray, TV and streaming content we watch is 16:9 or 4:3. Additionally we view in a mixed use room that requires a retractable screen with no fancy masking setups. Considering all of that a 16:9 screen is the best compromise for us and it doesn't bother us at all that the few 2.35:1 films we watch are not optimized. Now if we had a dedicated theater where I could optimize a fixed screen for each aspect ratio then it would be a different story. But when there are room limitations you have to make the most of what you've got and accept compromises to suit the type of content you view most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
If the Sony HW45ES had a brighter eco mode and if the bulb flicker bs was fixed, I would consider it the perfect projector under $3,000.
Sony introduced a new lamp when they replaced the HW40ES with the HW45ES, and I haven't heard of a widespread flicker issue with the new design, just the occasional instance as with any other projector. I sure haven't seen any flicker from my HW45ES. On the other hand my old Panny did develop lamp flicker and the simple fix was to change from low to high lamp for about 20 hours before switching back to low lamp. End of flicker. Here's what a professional ISF calibrator (Jeff Meier) has to say about it:

homecinemaguru.com/why-is-my-projector-flickering/
sage11x likes this.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #26 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 7,066
Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked: 3173
5040 vs sony 45 vs optoma uhd65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
If the Sony HW45ES had a brighter eco mode and if the bulb flicker bs was fixed, I would consider it the perfect projector under $3,000.


Yeah, I hear that. Hell, I'm still scared off by the panel degradation issue.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #27 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 01:10 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Yeah, I hear that. Hell, I'm still scared off by the panel degradation issue.
Yeah that is another can of worms which must be taken into consideration.
LumensLover is offline  
post #28 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I'm also considering between the sony hw45es and the epson 5040ub, my concerns are, even though i'm interested in HDR, does the epson really have the specs to provide good hdr? DCI P3, BT:2020? Or is HDR only going to be impressive on high end projectors such as the JVC RS4500, Sony HW5000 and the likes?
And also, i keep hearing about this 'pixel gap' on the epson, what exactly is that? Some people even say it has a horrible picture because of the pixels being divided into two to make it 4k like, is that true?
sahil0909 is offline  
post #29 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9,467
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil0909 View Post
... And also, i keep hearing about this 'pixel gap' on the epson, what exactly is that? ...
Pixel gap (or fill factor or screen door effect) refers to how much space there is between displayed pixels. LCoS has the smallest gap, DLP is second best and LCD is worst as the image below shows:

Dave in Green is offline  
post #30 of 47 Old 09-01-2017, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Pixel gap (or fill factor or screen door effect) refers to how much space there is between displayed pixels. LCoS has the smallest gap, DLP is second best and LCD is worst as the image below shows:

Thanks for that info, so does the epson suffer terribly from this? I have read some amazing reviews for the epson didn't think it would have such an issue. Between this issue for the epson, and the supposed panel degradation issues of the sony hw45es because it's an LCoS model, what is the safest and best choice?
sahil0909 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off