Epson Home Cinema LS100 UST HD Laser Projector at CEDIA 2017 - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #211 of 233 Old 02-19-2018, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Have you tried running a pixel flipper like the one on the Disney WOW disk or one of the stuck pixel fixer videos you can find on YouTube? Sometimes pixels are stuck in the off position and can be brought back to life so it's worth trying.
I ran one from Youtube for several hours with no luck. I’m still debating on what to do as I really want to keep this projector. This would be the 2nd replacement in 2 weeks of owning it if I sent it back to Epson. Dead pixels on a projector seem like a huge issue given the screen size. I’m really concerned if this is just bad luck or if most of them end up with pixel issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 233 Old 02-19-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
If most projectors ended up with pixel issues then most of the posts about projectors on this forum would be complaining about pixel issues, which is obviously not the case.
post #213 of 233 Old 03-02-2018, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, I have been using this LS100 since around Thanksgiving. Bottom line is I am all smiles.

As you can see, my room is very bright. This is my everyday "TV" and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Would I use it for a dedicated theater? No, but it would satisfy 95% of people even in a theater setting.

In Cinema mode, I hear no fan (it may be on, but I haven't cared to investigate). In Bright Cinema the fan is loud. It does annoy me. I have to turn the volume up while in Bright Cinema, but I do suspect that is in part a problem with the acoustics in the room (Tile, glass, etc...), they are challenging. But even with all the windows, and no window treatments even existing, I can run it in Cinema mode on a cloudy day. I have been in bright rooms with LED TV's that were more affected by ambient light than this thing. In fact, most TV's I've seen, struggle more. I do have to admit, the Elite Aeon CLR is likely why I am having better results than some and at $3000 for the screen it is hard to swallow. But most every review I read said a matching screen was a must, and even at $6k total investment, I am very happy!

I messed with settings when I first got it, I ended up going back to factory settings as I like them the most. I did try to lower the brightness for dark room watching, but it really messed up the blacks, so I went back to factory and all looks good, bright, but good. Perfect if you plan to watch with even a little light in the room (lamp, or cans on a dimmer...).

I don't watch video like I listen to audio. I don't look for flaws, but when they exist I notice them and they can distract. I don't really notice anything distracting with this projector.

I am a little mad at myself for not paying more attention and realizing this was a 16:10 projector. I bought my screen in 16x9, so I have bars on the side... I don't really notice it, but it would be nice to be able get the larger image that a 16:10 screen would allow (anyone know any tricks?). However, when the projector is off I think a 16:9 screen on the wall likely looks better than a 16:10... If that makes sense.

I always remembered that this projector solves a problem, it isn't meant to satisfy a videophile. But myself and everyone who has seen it has been blown away by it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171225_102501672.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2369146  
Aja and tambur123 like this.

"We base all our experiments on the capacity of mankind for self-government." James Madison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 233 Old 03-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thank you for this!! I'm in the middle of my remodel and have to decide quickly on what to do. I am have a HUGE window to the left of the screen (basically a garage door) but I will have curtains to cover it. I had a Sony HW55ES projector with Screen Innovations black diamond screen previously but wanted to get something brighter.

I've been wanting to go short throw, but the sony is $25k!! This is something much more reasonable. What size screen are you? I wanted to go 120" as I had last time. What distance back from the wall from the projector? (I am building a custom cabinet).

I was hoping eventually in 2yrs I would upgrade this to a 4k unit, so want to design the built in cabinet as well as the screen i'm using to be upgraded for the future. Wondering if I should stick with 16:10 or get a 16:9 screen. We were going to set the screen back into the wall a bit for a custom look as well, so kind of need to decide now.

We mostly watch netflix and movies via plex. As streaming from google/vudu get better, 4k will be a reality in the next year or so for movies, w/ netflix etc. bummed this isn't 4k yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmacdyn View Post
Well, I have been using this LS100 since around Thanksgiving. Bottom line is I am all smiles.

As you can see, my room is very bright. This is my everyday "TV" and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Would I use it for a dedicated theater? No, but it would satisfy 95% of people even in a theater setting.

In Cinema mode, I hear no fan (it may be on, but I haven't cared to investigate). In Bright Cinema the fan is loud. It does annoy me. I have to turn the volume up while in Bright Cinema, but I do suspect that is in part a problem with the acoustics in the room (Tile, glass, etc...), they are challenging. But even with all the windows, and no window treatments even existing, I can run it in Cinema mode on a cloudy day. I have been in bright rooms with LED TV's that were more affected by ambient light than this thing. In fact, most TV's I've seen, struggle more. I do have to admit, the Elite Aeon CLR is likely why I am having better results than some and at $3000 for the screen it is hard to swallow. But most every review I read said a matching screen was a must, and even at $6k total investment, I am very happy!

I messed with settings when I first got it, I ended up going back to factory settings as I like them the most. I did try to lower the brightness for dark room watching, but it really messed up the blacks, so I went back to factory and all looks good, bright, but good. Perfect if you plan to watch with even a little light in the room (lamp, or cans on a dimmer...).

I don't watch video like I listen to audio. I don't look for flaws, but when they exist I notice them and they can distract. I don't really notice anything distracting with this projector.

I am a little mad at myself for not paying more attention and realizing this was a 16:10 projector. I bought my screen in 16x9, so I have bars on the side... I don't really notice it, but it would be nice to be able get the larger image that a 16:10 screen would allow (anyone know any tricks?). However, when the projector is off I think a 16:9 screen on the wall likely looks better than a 16:10... If that makes sense.

I always remembered that this projector solves a problem, it isn't meant to satisfy a videophile. But myself and everyone who has seen it has been blown away by it!
post #215 of 233 Old 03-03-2018, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
@johnmacdyn - I can stand by your remarks 100%. This projector replaced my 65” plasma and OLED since I’ve owned it. I’ve lost 4k and absolute blacks but I’ve gained a monstrous 120” image which is good enough until something better comes along at a resonable price. My room is all white walls, has a large 6 sq meters window and the image is very decent during daytime. I’m projecting on an 120” cinewhite elite screen and hopefully I’ll be able to upgrade to an UST screen in the comming months (for some reason that screen is priced at 3000 euros in EU)

@gadgetfreaky - The distance from the wall to the back of my projector is 43.5cm, the width of the 120” elite aeon screen is 3.5cm, so the distance between the screen and the back of the projector is 40cm.

Last edited by tambur123; 03-03-2018 at 09:34 PM.
post #216 of 233 Old 03-04-2018, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Fingers crossed that an HDR/UWC model is in the works.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
post #217 of 233 Old 03-05-2018, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
Thank you for this!! I'm in the middle of my remodel and have to decide quickly on what to do. I am have a HUGE window to the left of the screen (basically a garage door) but I will have curtains to cover it. I had a Sony HW55ES projector with Screen Innovations black diamond screen previously but wanted to get something brighter.

I've been wanting to go short throw, but the sony is $25k!! This is something much more reasonable. What size screen are you? I wanted to go 120" as I had last time. What distance back from the wall from the projector? (I am building a custom cabinet).

I was hoping eventually in 2yrs I would upgrade this to a 4k unit, so want to design the built in cabinet as well as the screen i'm using to be upgraded for the future. Wondering if I should stick with 16:10 or get a 16:9 screen. We were going to set the screen back into the wall a bit for a custom look as well, so kind of need to decide now.

We mostly watch netflix and movies via plex. As streaming from google/vudu get better, 4k will be a reality in the next year or so for movies, w/ netflix etc. bummed this isn't 4k yet.
Happy to help/spend other peoples money

The screen is 120" 16:9, though I had to reduce the image the size so a 16:10 image would fit inside it without throwing the "black" bars on the wall above and below. So I am probably only watching 105" or 110" (somewhere this can be calculated).

The projector distance from the wall? I am not sure. Ill try to remember to look. But the projector calculator out there is dead accurate.

Just to add- I did hesitate when I found out this didn't have all the acronyms needed to be in the cool kids club, but after thinking about it for more than a minute I realized I don't really care about 3D and if I am happy with the image then 4k and HDR doesn't matter either.

"We base all our experiments on the capacity of mankind for self-government." James Madison

Last edited by johnmacdyn; 03-05-2018 at 09:31 AM.
post #218 of 233 Old 03-05-2018, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmacdyn View Post
The screen is 120" 16:9, though I had to reduce the image the size so a 16:10 image would fit inside it without throwing the "black" bars on the wall above and below. So I am probably only watching 105" or 110" (somewhere this can be calculated)
Do you have black bars on both sides of the image or did you manage somehow to stretch it?

L.E. Nevermind, I've just realized that you've said 105-110" actual image size.

Last edited by tambur123; 03-06-2018 at 12:52 AM.
post #219 of 233 Old 03-07-2018, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I just got my Elite 100" UST screen. I switched from a Sony 45 to this setup and I'm super impressed. I made a short video of the LS100 and CLR screen in action while cycling the lights from off to 100% for anyone interested in seeing how the screen performs. The lights truly have very little impact on the screen. I'm amazed

Content streaming from Youtube and Netflix via Apple Tv

post #220 of 233 Old 03-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTheater View Post
I just got my Elite 100" UST screen. I switched from a Sony 45 to this setup and I'm super impressed. I made a short video of the LS100 and CLR screen in action while cycling the lights from off to 100% for anyone interested in seeing how the screen performs. The lights truly have very little impact on the screen. I'm amazed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sqP...ature=youtu.be
That looks awesome. Thanks for the vid!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
post #221 of 233 Old 03-07-2018, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTheater View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sqP...ature=youtu.be
Video shows lighting definitely has little to zero effect on the screen. Very impressive alr screen. Congratulations on the setup.

I truly think short throw projectors are the future. Once TVs get up to 100" for under $5,000, the only way I could see people using projectors are short throw laser projectors used with alr screens.

It also appears short throw projectors along with a alr screen work much better under low to moderate amounts of ambient light compared to a standard projector.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-07-2018 at 04:11 PM.
post #222 of 233 Old 03-31-2018, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been using mine since November of last year and have not regretted it once. I've tried to go back to normal televisions but as I have been using a projector as a primary television for several years now, I keep getting drawn back by the size.

Like johnmacdyn, I keep my projector in cinema mode as it's almost completely silent. Anything else is just to loud. I ended up getting a Viewsonic Brilliantcolor screen at 120" which works wonderfully. Like John, I didn't pay attention to the aspect ratio, however I chose to let the extra pixels spill off the top and bottom. In the daytime I usually don't notice and in the evenings, the accent lights tend to cover it up. I'm planning on installing LED strips behind the screen which should help even more.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5df32560dfa6fcaab303ea4b5177289a.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	2383400  
Aja likes this.

Last edited by Bang321; 03-31-2018 at 08:20 PM.
post #223 of 233 Old 04-11-2018, 09:21 PM

I’m about to pull the trigger and spend 2900euro (~3600usd) on a 120” Elite or Projecta/Da-Lite UST screen. Can any of you guys comment on the improvements over a white screen? I’m most interested in PQ improvements during night time viewing. Are the blacks decent?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #224 of 233 Old 05-05-2018, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Really wish Epson would go all in on UST and Laser, give us more options to choose from. I'd love to do a proper projection setup but my rental limits what I can do, I see DLP rainboys really easily, so that isn't viable (otherwise I would own an LG UST) The market is there, they just need the products in the right price range.
Aja likes this.
post #225 of 233 Old 06-29-2018, 08:37 PM

Anybody know if there is a performance difference between a the Home Cinema LS100 and the Powerlite 700U. I like the white case of the 700u more, but was wondering if it's missing some processing features for home cinema because Epson states it's more for signage.
post #226 of 233 Old 12-21-2018, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe I'm not understanding, but from all the reviews I've read, you can make it a 16:9 image. Does the light bleed over off the screen?

And why do all the pictures people upload on this thread have black bars all around the screen instead of it 100% filling the whole 16:9 frame? Even if it's 16:10, they'd only have pillar-boxing.
post #227 of 233 Old 03-26-2019, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 108
So two questions if I may....

1. Have there been any recent rumours of a refresh of the LS100 coming?
2. Other than the colour of the case, are there *any* other differences between the LS100 and the Powerlite 700U, can I save myself ~$900 by going with the 700U and have the same thing?
post #228 of 233 Old 06-29-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
So two questions if I may....

1. Have there been any recent rumours of a refresh of the LS100 coming?
2. Other than the colour of the case, are there *any* other differences between the LS100 and the Powerlite 700U, can I save myself ~$900 by going with the 700U and have the same thing?
I'm interested in answers to both of these questions. Bump!
LondonBenji likes this.
post #229 of 233 Old 06-29-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd also be interested in owners' latest reviews of their units.
post #230 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 08:29 AM
Aja

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
I'd also be interested in owners' latest reviews of their units.
I have had an LS 100 since November of the year that they first appeared. Best Buy was having trouble getting the first delivery of these to their stores so I instead used Amazon.

I use it in my living room with a screen designed for UST projectors. I use a 125" image. The large picture is wonderful for sports and movies. I considered getting an OLED, but decided I wanted the impact of such a large image more than the wonderful picture from an OLED. Hopefully some day I can have both as the screen sizes for OLED and other screen technologies will become large enough and the price low enough that I go with this option. I also like how I am able to use it in a living room with many windows. Of course it does better with all of the blinds closed, but in my experience it is still watchable with the blinds open as long as the sun does not shine directly onto the screen.

When I initially started using the projector I noticed that it felt like my eyes were burning a bit from the brightness after watching a while. I lowered the brightness and noticed that the cooling fan noise completely disappeared. Not sure if it is making so little noise that I can't hear it, or if it is off. Note that I can hear noise from my refrigerator, for example, yet I can't hear noise from the projector. If it is there, it is pretty low. An advantage of lowering the screen brightness is that it can increase the advertised life of the lasers from 20,000 to 30,000 hours (I seem to recall reading this somewhere), though I will probably replace it with better technology well before then. It is still nice to know that it will have a long life if still in use.

Likes include the bright picture, even when the window blinds are open, the beautiful color on the screen, having a laser instead of bulbs, nobody walking in front of the image as it is projected (which can happen from some rear projection set ups), and how quickly it turns on. In addition to current tv shows and movies, I also like to view old movies and TV shows. The first few years of the original Perry Mason TV series, for example, are in black and white and look wonderful. I am sure there is more, but that is what comes to mind.

Just thought of another plus. The projector is so easy to move and set back up. I am having a new wood floor installed in my house and the projector will need to temporarily be moved. Putting it back is simple. I only need to remeasure from the bottom of the screen downward for one dimension, then from the screen back out to the projector glass screen in order to place the projector. This is very easy to do.

I would like to upgrade to a 4k version of this or similar UST from another manufacturer, but am in no hurry, since there there is still relatively little material in 4k. On the other hand, many 4k upscalers seem to do a good job from what I have read.

A new ATSC 3.0 TV standard has been created and will probably be released in the next year or two - it is already been tested in the DFW Metroplex. I do not know how, if at all, this will impact my projector, though I will have to replace or upgrade my TIVO, since I use this to change channels. There is also the new HDMI standard, which is a moving target. Upgrading to a 4k projector at some point in the future should take care of this, though I will also need to upgrade other hardware, such as my AV receiver.

In case you have any questions, I would be glad to try and answer them.
LondonBenji likes this.
post #231 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Hopefully we'll see something new at CEDIA this year, a 4k version of this projector would be great.

@Aja what screen do you use?
post #232 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 06:25 PM
Aja

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
Hopefully we'll see something new at CEDIA this year, a 4k version of this projector would be great.

@Aja what screen do you use?
I purchased a UST rated screen from Elite Screens. I cannot remember exactly which one. I think it cost around $300 or so, maybe less. There are UST screens that can cost thousands of dollars, but I went with a lower price for mine. If I had a dedicated home theater room I probably would have a much better (as in more expensive) screen.
LondonBenji likes this.
post #233 of 233 Old 07-01-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aja View Post
I have had an LS 100 since November of the year that they first appeared. Best Buy was having trouble getting the first delivery of these to their stores so I instead used Amazon.

I use it in my living room with a screen designed for UST projectors. I use a 125" image. The large picture is wonderful for sports and movies. I considered getting an OLED, but decided I wanted the impact of such a large image more than the wonderful picture from an OLED. Hopefully some day I can have both as the screen sizes for OLED and other screen technologies will become large enough and the price low enough that I go with this option. I also like how I am able to use it in a living room with many windows. Of course it does better with all of the blinds closed, but in my experience it is still watchable with the blinds open as long as the sun does not shine directly onto the screen.

When I initially started using the projector I noticed that it felt like my eyes were burning a bit from the brightness after watching a while. I lowered the brightness and noticed that the cooling fan noise completely disappeared. Not sure if it is making so little noise that I can't hear it, or if it is off. Note that I can hear noise from my refrigerator, for example, yet I can't hear noise from the projector. If it is there, it is pretty low. An advantage of lowering the screen brightness is that it can increase the advertised life of the lasers from 20,000 to 30,000 hours (I seem to recall reading this somewhere), though I will probably replace it with better technology well before then. It is still nice to know that it will have a long life if still in use.

Likes include the bright picture, even when the window blinds are open, the beautiful color on the screen, having a laser instead of bulbs, nobody walking in front of the image as it is projected (which can happen from some rear projection set ups), and how quickly it turns on. In addition to current tv shows and movies, I also like to view old movies and TV shows. The first few years of the original Perry Mason TV series, for example, are in black and white and look wonderful. I am sure there is more, but that is what comes to mind.

Just thought of another plus. The projector is so easy to move and set back up. I am having a new wood floor installed in my house and the projector will need to temporarily be moved. Putting it back is simple. I only need to remeasure from the bottom of the screen downward for one dimension, then from the screen back out to the projector glass screen in order to place the projector. This is very easy to do.

I would like to upgrade to a 4k version of this or similar UST from another manufacturer, but am in no hurry, since there there is still relatively little material in 4k. On the other hand, many 4k upscalers seem to do a good job from what I have read.

A new ATSC 3.0 TV standard has been created and will probably be released in the next year or two - it is already been tested in the DFW Metroplex. I do not know how, if at all, this will impact my projector, though I will have to replace or upgrade my TIVO, since I use this to change channels. There is also the new HDMI standard, which is a moving target. Upgrading to a 4k projector at some point in the future should take care of this, though I will also need to upgrade other hardware, such as my AV receiver.

In case you have any questions, I would be glad to try and answer them.
Thanks for the update!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , home cinema ls100 , laser projection , ultra short throw

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page