Official Epson Home Cinema HC2100/2150 (TW5600/5650/5400) Owners - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 97Likes

post #301 of 600 Old 02-14-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousfuria View Post
Without the Darbee plugged in my speaker system works totally fine from the audio out aux port on the projector, as soon as it is plugged in there is no sound anymore. I can get sound fine plugging the aux into the laptop audio out (obviously), totally bypassing the Darbee. Issue is mainly with PS4
Darbee does not pass audio. You will have to use an AVR or an HDMI audio extractor. An HDMI audio extractor would be placed in front of the Darbee unit and the audio out of the extractor can then be routed to your projectors audio in or other external amplifier, speakers, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 600 Old 02-14-2018, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishasmoker View Post
Have you tried using an android box ? I’ve tried 2 different ones and they both seem really dim compared to my cable box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, i dont have a android TV box. I just remembered i have a Chromecast Ultra, ill try that tonight.

But i want to make it clear that I am not a Apple fan. Not at all. I used a bunch of gift cards to buy this because there was no way I would give them my money. But Now i need to buy another one to have on both the TV and the projector. It just up scales and renders video extremely well.
post #303 of 600 Old 02-14-2018, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmonstertruk View Post
No, i dont have a android TV box. I just remembered i have a Chromecast Ultra, ill try that tonight.

But i want to make it clear that I am not a Apple fan. Not at all. I used a bunch of gift cards to buy this because there was no way I would give them my money. But Now i need to buy another one to have on both the TV and the projector. It just up scales and renders video extremely well.

I gotcha. Do you use a gaming system on it ? I feel like my Xbox is dim and I’m not getting the best picture that I could. Maybe I need to re calibrate ? I use bright cinema

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 600 Old 02-15-2018, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I posted this in the DIY Screen forum but here is my 2150 on a DIY Spandex screen. I think it looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP11 View Post
Still a lot of work to be done on my room, but I popped in John Wick 2 the other night and the menu looked so sharp I had to take a picture.

This is my Epson 2150 projecting on white over black milliskin spandex, 121" image at 14.5ft throw.
I thought everyone here might appreciate it as well. Photo was taken on Galaxy S6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JohnW2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	2362094  
joshbrown1987 likes this.
post #305 of 600 Old 02-15-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I posted this in the DIY Screen forum but here is my 2150 on a DIY Spandex screen. I think it looks great.

I have my projector about 11.5 feet away maybe that’s why I’m not getting as crisp if a picture I think I should be getting ?

post #306 of 600 Old 02-15-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I have my projector about 11.5 feet away maybe that’s why I’m not getting as crisp if a picture I think I should be getting ?
Make sure your lense is parallel to your screen and that you have set the focus on the projector as close to perfect as possible.

You mentioned your xbox is dim, set your xbox to 'normal(recommended)' COLOR SPACE, and 10-bit color, but on your projector under HDMI signal select expanded. See if that helps and after that you can go through the xbox calibrating video to dial in contrast and brightness.

Let me know how that turns out. Goodluck
post #307 of 600 Old 02-15-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Darbee does not pass audio. You will have to use an AVR or an HDMI audio extractor. An HDMI audio extractor would be placed in front of the Darbee unit and the audio out of the extractor can then be routed to your projectors audio in or other external amplifier, speakers, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousfuria View Post
I don't have an AVR, it goes laptop (or PS4) > HDMI > Darbee > HDMI > projector. My 5.1 speakers connect through the Audio Out AUX on the Epson. Getting no sound at all when I do this, through the laptop or the PS4
B is right and the Darbee will not pass your audio. Instead of taking audio from the projector, take optical/aux audio straight from the PS4 or laptop to your 5.1 system. Make sure to configure in the your settings on PS4/laptop to send analog or optical audio out in addition to still sending video out via HDMI. You should not need to buy anything to make this work.
post #308 of 600 Old 02-16-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
B is right and the Darbee will not pass your audio. Instead of taking audio from the projector, take optical/aux audio straight from the PS4 or laptop to your 5.1 system. Make sure to configure in the your settings on PS4/laptop to send analog or optical audio out in addition to still sending video out via HDMI. You should not need to buy anything to make this work.
Yes, I agree. If he has an audio out from the source or between the source and the Darbee unit, you should not need to buy anything.

I sounded like he wanted the audio out at or near the projector. That's why I suggested the HDMI/audio extractor.
post #309 of 600 Old 02-16-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:

i have mine 13.6' away and it's razor sharp.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
post #310 of 600 Old 02-16-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
i have mine 13.6' away and it's razor sharp.

Damn. I almost feel like I should of mounted it farther back. I was going based off of the calculator on Epsons site

post #311 of 600 Old 02-16-2018, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Make sure your lense is parallel to your screen and that you have set the focus on the projector as close to perfect as possible.

You mentioned your xbox is dim, set your xbox to 'normal(recommended)' COLOR SPACE, and 10-bit color, but on your projector under HDMI signal select expanded. See if that helps and after that you can go through the xbox calibrating video to dial in contrast and brightness.

Let me know how that turns out. Goodluck
Setting to expanded seems to wash things out a bit please explain what that along with changing bit # does. Thanks. I too feel my xbox is a bit dim at times

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
post #312 of 600 Old 02-17-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrown1987 View Post
Setting to expanded seems to wash things out a bit please explain what that along with changing bit # does. Thanks. I too feel my xbox is a bit dim at times

10bit is the number of colors that the projector can process, so you want to match that in your source material which in this case is the xbox.

After you adjust these settings change the contrast and brightness to make the image not washed out.
post #313 of 600 Old 02-17-2018, 09:56 PM

Watching the revenant tonight I'm constantly amazed at how great those projector is compared to my optoma gt1080. Even more impressed with how much detail the darbee adds. I mean that hair detail alone is amazing let alone his eyes and the head wrap.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0217182153a.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	2362964  

Last edited by joshbrown1987; 02-18-2018 at 08:42 AM.
post #314 of 600 Old 02-18-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrown1987 View Post
Watching the revenant tonight I'm constantly amazed at how great those projector is compared to my optoma gt1080. Even more impressed with how much detail the darbee adds. I mean that hair detail alone is amazing let alone his eyes and the head bandage.Attachment 2362964

Nice dude! I was looking at getting on of those video processors. Anyone you recommend ?

post #315 of 600 Old 02-18-2018, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Nice dude! I was looking at getting on of those video processors. Anyone you recommend ?

If you have the money.

Lumagen
http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...ncepro_details

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #316 of 600 Old 02-18-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:

1st off stupid app won't auto correct orientation. Lol 2nd I've purchased the DVDO DVDO-4KSVP and the darbee 5000s. The darbee beats the hell out of the DVDDO. 2nd for the price of $120 average there's nothing I've seen or heard of that comes close. Lumagen is probably better I have ZERO personal experience with it but again price point. I fixed the image here for better reference. Also buy from Amazon try them both and return the one you don't want. I don't think anyone here with these entry level projectors would run a $3,000+ lumagen.Click image for larger version

Name:	inCollage_20180217_215816416.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2363058

post #317 of 600 Old 02-23-2018, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

just clocked about 200 hours on my projector, and now in eco power the lamp is flickering between two levels of brightness (my guess is between full power & eco). if i put it on full power mode the issue stops. i ran it in full lamp mode for a couple of hours the last two nights but after switching it back to eco the issue returns after a few minutes. should i bother contacting epson or swap the lamp with the spare i have?

i'm not super concerned about this because i plan on getting a 5040 model shortly, but i had planned to continue to use this projector for tv & other light duty to keep the lamp hours low on the 5040.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
post #318 of 600 Old 02-23-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
just clocked about 200 hours on my projector, and now in eco power the lamp is flickering between two levels of brightness (my guess is between full power & eco). if i put it on full power mode the issue stops. i ran it in full lamp mode for a couple of hours the last two nights but after switching it back to eco the issue returns after a few minutes. should i bother contacting epson or swap the lamp with the spare i have?

i'm not super concerned about this because i plan on getting a 5040 model shortly, but i had planned to continue to use this projector for tv & other light duty to keep the lamp hours low on the 5040.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
I started to have flickering after 30 hours on my new Sony VPL-HW55ES projector. At first I thought I had a bad unit. I'm still not certain about the cause, but I suspect it is bulb flicker, which I am reading is one of the most common and annoying problems that can be had with projectors.

So I thought I'd start a thread to explore this topic a little more, since it can be the bane of many that choose front projection for their entertainment needs.

I'll post a little of the research I have read that seems most relevant, but I'm hoping those of you that know more can please post what you know.

It would also be nice if people have flicker to post here the make/model, and number of hours on the bulb. Maybe we as consumers could note some trends that might be informative.

CAUSES...

Bulb flicker appears to be most commonly caused by something called "arc wander" and "arc flare". Can also be power quality issues or projector ballast/power supply issues, but these are less common.

This site has a great illustration of the problem: http://zeiss-campus.magnet.fsu.edu/t...ndexflash.html

Arc wander can happen for various reasons, but it is when the arc start/end points wander on the electrodes, causing the arc's brightness to fluctuate.

AVSForum member "coldmachine" describes it well: "The point at which the arc strikes begins to move slightly on the electrode, and makes a track that the arc "wanders" along. When this occurs, flickering frequently results. A period on max power may solve it, but if the arc track is well established, it cant be reversed. Its a fundamental problem with any arc discharge lamp. The good news is that its a lamp issue, not a PJ issue."

A description of some of the causes I found (http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f1/t003983.html):

The arc looks like a candle in the wind.
This can happen under some of these circumstances:
1. The cathodes and anodes are badly eroded due to age or defect.
2. Deformed anodes and cathodes due to poor power supply filtering.
3. Deformed anodes and cathodes due to excessive in-rush current.
4. Deformed anodes and cathodes due to long igniter "lay-on's."
5. Weak or mis-adjusted magnets if the bulb requires the use of them.
6. Operating a bulb with magnets when it does not want them.
7. Stray magnetic fields getting too close to the bulb.
8. Bulb being operated outside the recommended electrical parameters.
9. Bulb being operated outside the recommended mechanical parameters.

I'm also assuming manufacturing defects or quality control can make a bulb prone to this as well.

I also would suspect some bulb designs are more prone to the problem than others, as well as bulbs with lower quality control, third party knockoffs, etc.
One thread suggested that the Sony bulb (LMP-H202 - my bulb) is more prone to the problem that some. It's used in their HW30/40/50/55/95.

SOLUTIONS...

The most common solutions I've read:

- Switch to another lamp power mode (i.e. from high to low or from low to high) for a few hours, then back to your preferred bulb mode
- Usually it is to switch from low to high, as low or eco mode is more prone to the problem
- Change picture modes and then switch back
- Get a new bulb
- Run in high power mode for the first few tens or hundred hours on a new bulb to establish solid strike points for the arc
- Then switching to low power mode the arc will be less prone to develop wandering
- Place a magnet over the lamp area, if the wandering conditions are suitable that may stabilize the arc. Do at your own risk though of causing other problems with PJ
Most of these only seem to mitigate the problem or help stop it for a while, but if a bulb is prone to it, it may be very difficult to stop
Some say that going to high lamp at the first sign can help curtail it, but if it has been going on for a long time it is likely the bulb is too damaged to get it to go away with that bulb.

- Get a laser projector!

Who knows, maybe laser light sources will come down in price, and they will be less prone to flicker problems! If they do flicker, it won't be due to arc wander, that's for sure...

I would also REALLY like people to chime in if they found it to be a power supply issue or it was fixed by moving your plug, using different power conditioner, etc.

So please, if you have more info on the causes, solutions, or just want to complain about your bulb flicker problem - post it here!
See above taken from the 'manage bulb flicker' thread. I experienced flicker on my 2150 and found that thread. I then switched to normal power and no issues ever since. I'll probably go back to eco mode after a couple hundred hours on the bulb.
post #319 of 600 Old 02-24-2018, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked: 3352
Quote:
See above taken from the 'manage bulb flicker' thread. I experienced flicker on my 2150 and found that thread. I then switched to normal power and no issues ever since. I'll probably go back to eco mode after a couple hundred hours on the bulb.

It’s too bad there seems to be a quality issue with some bulbs causing flickering in eco power mode. I have 750 hours on my Epson 2150 since December and haven’t really had a single problem as far as image quality. I guess I’ll worry about it when one arises, but I’m glad I got the 4 year warranty that covers bulbs too.

I did once briefly hear an odd rattling sound, that likely came from the fan (previously mentioned by another poster in this thread) but rebooting the projector remedied it right away. The only real problem I have is occasional vertical image shaking/blurring when powerful, deep bass hits, but that’s a mounting/structure issue. Need to try some dampening materials on the mount to see if it helps.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #320 of 600 Old 02-24-2018, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I missed the French review of the tw5400, not available in America....

TW5400/n.a.
http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...son-eh-tw5400/

Native contrast is half than the hc2150, the tw5400 has the same lens with a fixed negative offset of the old series tw5300/hc2040, maybe that is the reason. I updated the post n. 10 with this model.

Epson TW5350(HC 2045), Darbee DVP-5000S, Himedia Q5 Pro, FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max
post #321 of 600 Old 02-24-2018, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
It’s too bad there seems to be a quality issue with some bulbs causing flickering in eco power mode. I have 750 hours on my Epson 2150 since December and haven’t really had a single problem as far as image quality. I guess I’ll worry about it when one arises, but I’m glad I got the 4 year warranty that covers bulbs too.

I did once briefly hear an odd rattling sound, that likely came from the fan (previously mentioned by another poster in this thread) but rebooting the projector remedied it right away. The only real problem I have is occasional vertical image shaking/blurring when powerful, deep bass hits, but that’s a mounting/structure issue. Need to try some dampening materials on the mount to see if it helps.
it's just annoying when they tout thousands of usable hours with these bulbs.
furyroad likes this.

post #322 of 600 Old 02-26-2018, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ok, I’d rather not mount this projector on the ceiling because it’s 10’. Also, I have a ceiling fan in the middle of the room. Can I project the image 20 feet from the back wall? The Epson calculator says the smallest image from 20’ is 127”. I would be happy with a 130” screen if the projector was bright enough. The last projector I had was the Epson 3500 and it was plenty bright in th daytime with the blinds closed. However, I never tried it that far back.
post #323 of 600 Old 02-26-2018, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

What warranty provider did you use?
post #324 of 600 Old 02-26-2018, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakapo View Post
What warranty provider did you use?

Warranty through Best Buy.

Anyone having video handshake/detection issues? With my Sony X800 UHD player the Epson is hit and miss on detecting the input and just displays a screen with colored noise, sometimes requires a projector reboot, and I have it set to force HDMI 1 with auto detect off. I haven’t had any issues with the PS4 or any of the other half dozen connected devices.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
post #325 of 600 Old 02-26-2018, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Warranty through Best Buy.

Anyone having video handshake/detection issues? With my Sony X800 UHD player the Epson is hit and miss on detecting the input and just displays a screen with colored noise, sometimes requires a projector reboot, and I have it set to force HDMI 1 with auto detect off. I haven’t had any issues with the PS4 or any of the other half dozen connected devices.
can't say i've experienced that yet.

with regards to the eco flicker problem, yes high/normal lamp mode does "fix the problem" (the flickering stops). i've switched between that mode & eco several times (sometimes for 5+ hours) to no avail (the problem comes back within minutes). i actually don't mind high lamp mode in terms of picture quality (it's actually slightly better), it's just the ridiculously loud fan noise i can't stand. with that being said, given the super low price of the projector i'm going to open it up and try to add some resistance to the fan to decrease the noise and add additional cooling somehow so i can run it in high power but without the insane fan noise. given the low cost of the projector and the relative low resale value if i even bothered i think it's worth tinkering with.

post #326 of 600 Old 02-27-2018, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
it’s just the ridiculously loud fan noise i can't stand. with that being said, given the super low price of the projector i'm going to open it up and try to add some resistance to the fan to decrease the noise and add additional cooling somehow so i can run it in high power but without the insane fan noise. given the low cost of the projector and the relative low resale value if i even bothered i think it's worth tinkering with.

Oh, please post a pic of the fan when you dissect the PJ. Looks like most of these use a blower type brushless fan, which are inherently noisy and might be difficult/impossible to replace internally with something that works as well without significant modifications or building a hush box with a push/pull configuration.

Decreased fan noise on a larger model is what I look forward to when I eventually go 4K. I usually run in eco mode, even during high volumes that’d mask the noise well. I was surprised how loud the 2150 fan is when it ramps up, because I’ve built a few quiet PC’s and added fans to most my home theater amps/receivers and haven’t heard one anywhere near that loud.

post #327 of 600 Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, please post a pic of the fan when you dissect the PJ. Looks like most of these use a blower type brushless fan, which are inherently noisy and might be difficult/impossible to replace internally with something that works as well without significant modifications or building a hush box with a push/pull configuration.

Decreased fan noise on a larger model is what I look forward to when I eventually go 4K. I usually run in eco mode, even during high volumes that’d mask the noise well. I was surprised how loud the 2150 fan is when it ramps up, because I’ve built a few quiet PC’s and added fans to most my home theater amps/receivers and haven’t heard one anywhere near that loud.

i will definitely report back here with my findings. the projector is near worthless to me if i can't run it near-silently in eco mode. i appreciate the extra "pop" the projector has in full lamp brightness but can't stand the increased fan noise. if i can't use it in eco mode because of the non-fixable flickering (sans replacing the lamp every time) then i will give it my all to find a solution to use it in full lamp brightness without the ridiculous fan noise. i have a feeling that my "fix" will be to reduce the fan noise on the blower and add additional cooling to the unit somehow to make up for it--without the noise.

post #328 of 600 Old 02-27-2018, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
can't say i've experienced that yet.

with regards to the eco flicker problem, yes high/normal lamp mode does "fix the problem" (the flickering stops). i've switched between that mode & eco several times (sometimes for 5+ hours) to no avail (the problem comes back within minutes). i actually don't mind high lamp mode in terms of picture quality (it's actually slightly better), it's just the ridiculously loud fan noise i can't stand. with that being said, given the super low price of the projector i'm going to open it up and try to add some resistance to the fan to decrease the noise and add additional cooling somehow so i can run it in high power but without the insane fan noise. given the low cost of the projector and the relative low resale value if i even bothered i think it's worth tinkering with.
I would pretend intervention to solve the flickeriing, there is no reason to keep a projector with flickering lamp, while opening the projector will void your warranty and I really doubt you can't change the fan with a better one, more silent projectors use slower bigger fans in larger cases to keep then cooler inside with less decibels outside....

Epson TW5350(HC 2045), Darbee DVP-5000S, Himedia Q5 Pro, FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max
post #329 of 600 Old 02-27-2018, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any comments on how the 2100/2150 handle 3D? I have an Elite 120" 1.1gain screen with total light control and the Epson 2030 right now. I am looking to upgrade and at these prices its hard to pass up! We watch a lot of 3D movies so wanted some real life experiences with either of these projectors. *Please no "3D is dead or you hate it" comments, thanks!
post #330 of 600 Old 02-28-2018, 08:08 PM

Last edited by joshbrown1987; 02-28-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page