Official Epson Home Cinema HC2100/2150 (TW5600/5650/5400) Owners - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #511 of 641 Old 11-06-2018, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all, I have a question on the HC2100.
I just fired up my new HC2100 yesterday and when I tried to focus the image which is about 14 feet away from the projector, the pixels near a colour change are like washing into the other pixels immediately on top. I inserted some pictures of what I see. When the colour is the same all around a pixel the issue is not visible. The projector has a built in pattern to set up the focus and it shows also this issue on top of the horizontal lines. I tried a lot of adjustments but it does not change this behavior. Is this something someone has seen ?

Note : The picure #0734 seems to have flipped 180 degree when I did the upload, so the washing shows going down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0734.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2478676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0737.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2478680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0743.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2478682  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 641 Old 11-06-2018, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pima View Post
I just fired up my new HC2100 yesterday and when I tried to focus the image which is about 14 feet away from the projector, the pixels near a colour change are like washing into the other pixels immediately on top. I inserted some pictures of what I see. When the colour is the same all around a pixel the issue is not visible. The projector has a built in pattern to set up the focus and it shows also this issue on top of the horizontal lines. I tried a lot of adjustments but it does not change this behavior. Is this something someone has seen ?

Note : The picure #0734 seems to have flipped 180 degree when I did the upload, so the washing shows going down.
Looks like a convergence issue. I think I read on the Epson 5040 forum it's a misalignment with the 3 LCD system.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #513 of 641 Old 11-06-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmonstertruk View Post
Looks like a convergence issue. I think I read on the Epson 5040 forum it's a misalignment with the 3 LCD system.

Thanks for your reply evilmonstertruck. I will contact Epson support since its brand new and I do not think there is an adjustment for the LCDs . I'll see what Epson tells me tomorrow.

I'll update the forum with the progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 641 Old 11-06-2018, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for your reply evilmonstertruck. I will contact Epson support since its brand new and I do not think there is an adjustment for the LCDs . I'll see what Epson tells me tomorrow.

I'll update the forum with the progress...
Yeah, I literally just called and they replaced mine no questions asked basically. Got it setup and running already.

post #515 of 641 Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I literally just called and they replaced mine no questions asked basically. Got it setup and running already.

I was reading the posts for the 5040 forum as you mentionned, and from what they are saying Epson sends regularly refurbished units when doing RMA's instead of new units. That I don't like !

Is your replacement a new unit ? Or a unit that could be 1 year old that has been repaired .???
post #516 of 641 Old 11-06-2018, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was reading the posts for the 5040 forum as you mentionned, and from what they are saying Epson sends regularly refurbished units when doing RMA's instead of new units. That I don't like !

Is your replacement a new unit ? Or a unit that could be 1 year old that has been repaired .???
It looks new to me. Filter is new. The door where the bulb goes in is pristine. No marks or any indication it was used. There's nothing wrong with refurbished stuff. It means they fixed the issues that would cause them to die in the first place. As long as it's not dirty or broken it's fine. I understand if you just bought something, like with a month or so

post #517 of 641 Old 11-06-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
It looks new to me. Filter is new. The door where the bulb goes in is pristine. No marks or any indication it was used. There's nothing wrong with refurbished stuff. It means they fixed the issues that would cause them to die in the first place. As long as it's not dirty or broken it's fine. I understand if you just bought something, like with a month or so

Good for you ! Have you check what the new serial number brings up when you do a warranty check on their site. Mine is showing a warranty expiring April 2020 even though I bought it 5 days ago. I wonder if this changes when someone registers the product with a currrent purchase date. Have you gone through this with your original unit ?
post #518 of 641 Old 11-07-2018, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:

Hi,

I might be able to give you a more precise answer if you post a full 1080p image of a white grid over black background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #519 of 641 Old 11-07-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Hi,

I might be able to give you a more precise answer if you post a full 1080p image of a white grid over black background.

Hello Descalabro, thanks for the inquiry, I am not sure I have the correct image, I took this from the AVS HD709 MP4 files. I put it on a USB key and had the projector read it. Its pretty hard to have a clear picture, the focusing does not get super sharp because of this washing effect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0748.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2479132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0747.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	2479134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2479136  
post #520 of 641 Old 11-07-2018, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hello Descalabro, thanks for the inquiry, I am not sure I have the correct image, I took this from the AVS HD709 MP4 files. I put it on a USB key and had the projector read it. Its pretty hard to have a clear picture, the focusing does not get super sharp because of this washing effect.

It seems to me that the problem is more likely related to the optics. Some sort of focus issue or slight lens misalignment. I also consider the possibility that there’s something needing to be cleaned inside the light path, but I find this less likely since what I see here is a uniform issue rather than some blot or stain. However, this image may help further:

http://nottinghamtec.co.uk/~aer/Test.../1080/grid.png

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #521 of 641 Old 11-08-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
It seems to me that the problem is more likely related to the optics. Some sort of focus issue or slight lens misalignment. I also consider the possibility that there’s something needing to be cleaned inside the light path, but I find this less likely since what I see here is a uniform issue rather than some blot or stain. However, this image may help further:

http://nottinghamtec.co.uk/~aer/Test.../1080/grid.png

Here is the image as shown by the projector. I had to go through the B-ray usb reader because the projector usb did not recognise a .png file.

I will be getting a replacement unit from Epson after explaining the issue to them. I wanted to send them a picture of what I was seeing and they said it was not necessary !?!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0759.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2479686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0760.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2479688  
post #522 of 641 Old 11-08-2018, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here is the image as shown by the projector. I had to go through the B-ray usb reader because the projector usb did not recognise a .png file.

I will be getting a replacement unit from Epson after explaining the issue to them. I wanted to send them a picture of what I was seeing and they said it was not necessary !?!
Haha yeah they are more than happy to just say, F it, we'll just send you a new one.

post #523 of 641 Old 11-08-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Haha yeah they are more than happy to just say, F it, we'll just send you a new one.

Yeah, as you had mentionned earlier, it was very easy !
post #524 of 641 Old 11-08-2018, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Definitely some optical issue. If it were misaligned pixels you would clearly see the misaligned colors. I’m glad they made the replacement easy. Cheers!

post #525 of 641 Old 11-09-2018, 03:18 PM

Well I received the replacement hc2100, fired it up and the original issue is not present anymore but this one seems to have a bad convergence issue ! I contacted Epson and this time they agreed I send them a picture. After putting me on hold for a few seconds after receiving the picture, the agent said they would send me another replacement unit.

I surely did not see this with my old DLP projector.

I attached the picture I sent them. Again the picture flipped 180 degree after the upload to the forum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Replacement_hc2100 (3).JPG
Views:	154
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2480364  
post #526 of 641 Old 11-09-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Well I received the replacement hc2100, fired it up and the original issue is not present anymore but this one seems to have a bad convergence issue ! I contacted Epson and this time they agreed I send them a picture. After putting me on hold for a few seconds after receiving the picture, the agent said they would send me another replacement unit.

I attached the picture I sent them. Again the picture flipped 180 degree after the upload to the forum.
My advice is to pack it in and go back to a DLP. The entry level Epson convergence issue has come up several times over the years and several years ago I decided to see if I could see what a member was talking about after about 8000 hours on two Epson HC2000s. Guess what...it was there. I had never noticed on our 151.5" screen at 13.5 and even at 8/10 feet for in your face 3D (not looking at text at that distance). The projectors served as TV/monitor/HT and I or no one had never noticed it. After seeing it, I put it out of my mind as a non-normal viewing issue for us...but much like the screen door effect that some members notice, I typically don't get within a few feet of my image, so it isn't a factor. When I upgraded to a HC3700, I checked the convergence once and it looked good at standard viewing distances.

I think we are all sensitive to different things. Back in the day when I sampled the forum favorite BenQ W1070 all I noticed was the spot light from the vent which drove me crazy, so clearly I was more sensitive to it than most forum members. In addition I have a DLP which I had never experienced rainbows until thanks to the forum I went looking for them. Now I know that subconsciously I'll be trying to catch the rainbow only to succeed, so I've ruled out any future DLPs.

Bottom line is no sub 1K tech is going to be perfect for everyone and you've had a good experience with DLP, so that might be the tech for you at that price point.

I included my samples from back then to show the issue as well as to drill down on the pixels that are easily apparent at that close distance. I know it might seem incredible to some, but it never was a factor given the way we used the projector.

Edit: At this price point I have noticed that my 2013 HC2000 is like a different model from my 2015 HC2000. The 2013 has a sharper image and has a better focus while the 2015 has a different... much quieter sound/fan, so it might be that you have in fact had bad luck in the entry level projector lottery.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00950a.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	2480370   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00951a.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	2480372  

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3800/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.

Last edited by steve1106; 11-09-2018 at 04:22 PM.
post #527 of 641 Old 11-09-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
My advice is to pack it in and go back to a DLP. The entry level Epson convergence issue has come up several times over the years and several years ago I decided to see if I could see what a member was talking about after about 8000 hours on two Epson HC2000s. Guess what...it was there. I had never noticed on our 151.5" screen at 13.5 and even at 8/10 feet for in your face 3D (not looking at text at that distance). The projectors served as TV/monitor/HT and I or no one had never noticed it. After seeing it, I put it out of my mind as a non-normal viewing issue for us...but much like the screen door effect that some members notice, I typically don't get within a few feet of my image, so it isn't a factor. When I upgraded to a HC3700, I checked the convergence once and it looked good at standard viewing distances.

I think we are all sensitive to different things. Back in the day when I sampled the forum favorite BenQ W1070 all I noticed was the spot light from the vent which drove me crazy, so clearly I was more sensitive to it than most forum members. In addition I have a DLP which I had never experienced rainbows until thanks to the forum I went looking for them. Now I know that subconsciously I'll be trying to catch the rainbow only to succeed, so I've ruled out any future DLPs.

Bottom line is no sub 1K tech is going to be perfect for everyone and you've had a good experience with DLP, so that might be the tech for you at that price point.

I included my samples from back then to show the issue as well as to drill down on the pixels that are easily apparent at that close distance. I know it might seem incredible to some, but it never was a factor given the way we used the projector.

Edit: At this price point I have noticed that my 2013 HC2000 is like a different model from my 2015 HC2000. The 2013 has a sharper image and has a better focus while the 2015 has a different... much quieter sound/fan, so it might be that you have in fact had bad luck in the entry level projector lottery.

Hello Steve, thanks for your comments. I wonder why some of the characters have correct (black) tint and some have different tints showing on the pictures you sent. I thought the mis-alignment was at the 3 LCD panel level and would affect all characters on the screen and not some more than others.

I hear you about going back to DLP, I went with reviews of big retail stores and specialized sites mostly giving high marks for these projectors and how the sub 1K projectors now had "very good" performance for the price.

Unfortunately I am not to lucky at lottery normally !
I will see how this develops ...
post #528 of 641 Old 11-09-2018, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I don’t know how careful Epson is with the choice of refurbished projectors to send as replacements, but this is way too misaligned on the blue panel. Unacceptable. Hope they send you a good one, or your money back.

post #529 of 641 Old 11-09-2018, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

I got my replacement the other day and even with my old one getting whites to be white has been a huge challenge. Anyone have any tips or experience with there's?

post #530 of 641 Old 11-09-2018, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, all the Epsons I had were used, 2000$ models from around 2010. None of them had white whites. To a certain extent, this is acceptable in entry-level LCDs, because it’s not even something noticeable when watching movies, unless on plain white scenes. But I don’t know what to expect from a 2017 entry-level Epson. Using Cinema modes usually aggravates this, as Epson’s Cinema Filter clearly adds a blue/red tint. So, you can try other modes. You can also try raising colour temperature to around 6500K. I wouldn’t go higher than this.

post #531 of 641 Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 PM

Received the 2nd replacement HC2100. This is acceptable. The focus is ok and the convergence is less off than the previous replacement.
For the record the replacement units were new, not refurbs. Epson had mention this when I first called. There is surely a cut off time (days, weeks, months) after the purchase date where they start shipping refurbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0774.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2481998  

Last edited by Pima; 11-12-2018 at 08:03 PM.
post #532 of 641 Old 11-13-2018, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Received the 2nd replacement HC2100. This is acceptable. The focus is ok and the convergence is less off than the previous replacement.
For the record the replacement units were new, not refurbs. Epson had mention this when I first called. There is surely a cut off time (days, weeks, months) after the purchase date where they start shipping refurbs.
You got me wondering about mine...

Let me take a pic like that and see what it looks like..

post #533 of 641 Old 11-13-2018, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Picture

post #534 of 641 Old 11-13-2018, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Epson Home Cinema HC2100/2150 (TW5600/5650/5400) Owners

Quote:
Picture

From this distance, many LCD projectors will have a slight visible misalignment. Mine is worse than this but I can’t see it from normal viewing distance. Although probably It would look sharper if it were perfectly aligned. It’s something that we can feel more than actually notice.

post #535 of 641 Old 11-13-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Picture

It is close to what I have now but for me the blue panel is slightly misaligned towards the bottom and the green is misaligned towards the top. The opposite of what you have.
On the high end Epson there is a setting that the user can access (under extended) to align LCD color convergence. I wonder for these entry level if there is any fine tuning adjustment mechanically at build up or if the LCD panels are just installed in their socket and hope for the best ...
post #536 of 641 Old 11-15-2018, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 5
how much ampere does the usb port of the epson 2100/2150 give?
i wonder if its 1.5a or 2.0a enough for some tv boxes/sticks.
post #537 of 641 Old 11-15-2018, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgqueenx View Post
how much ampere does the usb port of the epson 2100/2150 give?
i wonder if its 1.5a or 2.0a enough for some tv boxes/sticks.
It's enough. I have used it for that and a nes classic

post #538 of 641 Old 11-15-2018, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Chromecast (v1.0) is working also powered by the USB port.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
post #539 of 641 Old 11-15-2018, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 5
i wonder how much it gives. Can anyone test if a phone for example charges as fast as a normal usb 2a charger?

I ask because i want to use a media box that uses 1.5a at 5 volts, so about 3 watt. a chromecast needs 2 watts.
post #540 of 641 Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgqueenx View Post
i wonder how much it gives. Can anyone test if a phone for example charges as fast as a normal usb 2a charger?

I ask because i want to use a media box that uses 1.5a at 5 volts, so about 3 watt. a chromecast needs 2 watts.
Which media box?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page