Hi - I currently have an 8-yr old tw5900 (not sure what it is in the US) that now needs a new bulb, and since it has some annoying colour banding across the top and bottom of image - I'm taking the opportunity to replace/upgrade... and the tw5650 looks like the ideal.
I run it in a mostly light-controlled environment (black-out blinds, but light occasionally seeps in).
The screen is a (seriously cheap yet good Crosby & Bown electric affair - I think 1.0 gain) 120", and it's mounted c.14' away.
I run it via HDMI from my amp (Blu-ray or TV into amp) so won't use the sound.
But a few questions:
- how much of an upgrade is it to go from the tw5900 to tw5650? Will I notice any real difference, or would it be more a like-for-like replacement?
- how loud is it really? I've heard reports ranging from unbearable to unnoticeable, but the 5650 is supposedly only 3db louder. I don't really notice the 5900 in Eco, and quickly get used to it when ramped up (e.g. 3D). I'll be ceiling mounting (if I can get the supposedly "universal" ceiling mount to fit the holes), and sitting pretty much underneath.
- what does horizontal keystone do to the image in terms of introducing artefacts, or distortions? I fear the ceiling mount I have may require the use of a very slight amount - I hope not but just possibly it might. Is it an image-killer?
- What's the 3D like? My one gripe was that the 5900 really looked quite dim in comparison when in 3D - not unsurprisingly - but does the 5650 fare any better? I guess if the Eco mode is brighter, the 3D will look brighter, but still look relatively dim to the new Eco mode. And is the actual 3D any better?
- Will my 3D glasses still work with the 5650?
And how often does this model get a price reduction? I see it's been as low as c.£500 in the past - one-off sales - but is c.£700 cheapest at the moment (and same price as the 5600).