Official Epson Home Cinema HC2100/2150 (TW5600/5650/5400) Owners - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #61 of 608 Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
At this price of $650 it's a steal, this projector is well worth the money. I think it's the best projector on the market right now for under 1000. So anyone considering this, I would suggest you to pull the trigger and you won't be disappointed. The $49 lamp is icing on the cake, I am really considering to purchase one. And Epson is offering 10% off coupon for accessories so it's really tempting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 608 Old 11-20-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze810 View Post
Yes my projector is inverted. I wonder if I returned the projector to Epson that they'd be able to fix it or replacement they sent me wouldn't have this problem... It doesn't super bother me.

I took a picture and it doesn't look as bad as I thought it did. The blue is more prevalent.
Color shift is very normal for LCD projectors to varying degrees...
post #63 of 608 Old 11-20-2017, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishelnino View Post
At this price of $650 it's a steal, this projector is well worth the money. I think it's the best projector on the market right now for under 1000. So anyone considering this, I would suggest you to pull the trigger and you won't be disappointed. The $49 lamp is icing on the cake, I am really considering to purchase one. And Epson is offering 10% off coupon for accessories so it's really tempting
i agree that it's probably the best option for sub $1k, and yeah the cheap lamps are also awesome. i already picked one up myself because you never know when the lamp is going to go.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 608 Old 11-20-2017, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post
This is pretty much what I figured. I don't I want to send it in over this.
post #65 of 608 Old 11-20-2017, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
the bottom line is people spend thousands (and tens of thousands) on projectors because they're chasing inky blacks & punchy contrast. for what the 2150 costs it's amazing that it offers the picture quality that it does. personally, i bought it to hold me over until either the next big jump in affordable tech happens, or i'll just buy a higher end epson or jvc if that doesn't happen in a year or two. most content looks wonderful on the 2150, but yes if you're watching a mostly dark movie you're probably not going to have a great time. you get what you pay for.

also, someone mentioned they're running the projector at ~9' away from the screen? yeah that's probably way too close and the extra brightness is going to exaggerate bad black levels. i'm ~12' away on a 110" screen @ 1.0 gain and black levels are mostly acceptable. but even i'm considering moving the projector further back to reduce the relative brightness.
Good point about putting the quality into perspective. This does seem like a great value for money. I'll be throwing my review in here soon... =)

I'm going to be about 10' away from a 92" grey Silver Ticket 1.0 gain. I have a fair bit of ambient light during the day and this projector attracted me because of the brightness. I've seen a 2040 in here and it was a lot better than my current projector for daytime viewing. Expecting this slightly brighter 2100 to be a big upgrade for me.

Quote:
Get it!!! Finally projector lamp replacements aren't something to dread. You'll get renewed brightness for less than a new video game. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post
So how does one determine how much is too much?

Quote:
I'm encouraged that it doesn't seem big enough to ruin the projector for you.
post #66 of 608 Old 11-20-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah i don't want to get mine exchanged over this either.

For anyone curious, it's minimal and only noticeable when you have a plain white background projected and look for it. Other than this the PJ works flawlessly.
Maze810 and bidwood like this.
post #67 of 608 Old 11-20-2017, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Yeah i don't want to get mine exchanged over this either.

For anyone curious, it's minimal and only noticeable when you have a plain white background projected and look for it. Other than this the PJ works flawlessly.
If it's something that can be fixed I would get it fixed. I understand not worrying about it if it's not to bad but it's one thing if they won't fix it or if there's no way too

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #68 of 608 Old 11-20-2017, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 3589
Official Epson Home Cinema HC2100/2150 (TW5600/5650/5400) Owners

I just picked up the 2150 for $649 at Best Buy earlier today, and upon first boot up noticed what appear to be artifacts/bubbles and a streak or smudge inside/on the focusing lens.

This is my first PJ and my 100” screen arrives Tuesday with the rest of the parts needed for mounting on Wednesday, so will be setting it all up as soon as possible. I was able to capture some pictures of the bubbles and smudge, and almost took it back right away as it does not appear normal for any lens system I’ve seen (first PJ though); but I’m unsure if this is a working as intended feature of the lens system when powered up with such a bright light focused on it.

The picture looks great out of the box on my beige wall streaming a few Netflix movies really quick, but without doing some actual color/image/distortion checks on the PJ screen or input stating otherwise from AVS, I’ll just assume it’s OK for now. Attaching some pics, and it does appear to only be on the focusing lens as the anomalies move in unison when adjusting.

Thanks,
~Scott

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast

Last edited by Sekosche; 11-20-2017 at 09:18 PM.
post #69 of 608 Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
I just picked up the 2150 for $649 at Best Buy earlier today, and upon first boot up noticed what appear to be artifacts/bubbles and a streak or smudge inside/on the focusing lens.
they all end up looking like that eventually because of the dust that gets sucked into them while running, but right out of the box it's like that? i would bring it back and try to exchange it. if they give you grief just ask for a refund and then turn around and buy a new one again. the beauty of retail
Sekosche likes this.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
post #70 of 608 Old 11-21-2017, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
they all end up looking like that eventually because of the dust that gets sucked into them while running, but right out of the box it's like that? i would bring it back and try to exchange it. if they give you grief just ask for a refund and then turn around and buy a new one again. the beauty of retail

Maybe it’s a refurbished unit being sold as new through BB, which unfortunately does occasionally happen in “error.” I know the standards most lens and mirror systems are assembled in, and even the ones with lax quality control should be cleaner than this without significant imperfections so easily visible from the start, chalk it up to a lemon. BB inventory only had a couple left in store when I bought it, so I’ll try and swap it out today before they’re gone. Based on performance, from what little I’ve viewed, this model PJ is definitely a keeper to replace most of our TV and movie needs.

At least I didn’t go through the hassle of mounting or calibrating it.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
post #71 of 608 Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Maybe it’s a refurbished unit being sold as new through BB, which unfortunately does occasionally happen in “error.” I know the standards most lens and mirror systems are assembled in, and even the ones with lax quality control should be cleaner than this without significant imperfections so easily visible from the start, chalk it up to a lemon. BB inventory only had a couple left in store when I bought it, so I’ll try and swap it out today before they’re gone. Based on performance, from what little I’ve viewed, this model PJ is definitely a keeper to replace most of our TV and movie needs.

At least I didn’t go through the hassle of mounting or calibrating it.
Here is mine when the PJ is on if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171121_141042.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	2319064  
post #72 of 608 Old 11-21-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here is mine when the PJ is on if it helps.

Thanks for the reference, I swapped it for another at BB, and the big smudge/scratches on the focusing lens is gone and overall this PJ lens system looks much better just looking into it with the menu screen on, as you’d expect a clean and new unit to look. I’m mounting my screen hopefully in the next few hours, but have a respiratory infection at the moment so trying not to over do it...also have to box up a bunch of really heavy subwoofers and speakers I’m swapping out before the night is done. So excited to fire it up!

Even the wife was a little surprised how good it looked after just seeing the PJ image on the wall last night, and she’s never very excited about my HT passion. I’ll post a few pics of my setup when it’s all done.

post #73 of 608 Old 11-21-2017, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just picked this projector up. I am a novice when it comes to projectors and a question about mounting. I don’t think I will be able to mount it exactly center of my screen. With no horizontal shift will this be an issue or will a swivel mount help me point the image in the right direction. It won’t be off by a lot I think will be off center by 6 to 8 inches. Thanks in advance.
post #74 of 608 Old 11-21-2017, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJ13 View Post
I just picked this projector up. I am a novice when it comes to projectors and a question about mounting. I don’t think I will be able to mount it exactly center of my screen. With no horizontal shift will this be an issue or will a swivel mount help me point the image in the right direction. It won’t be off by a lot I think will be off center by 6 to 8 inches. Thanks in advance.
I have the same problem. I used "quick corner" to make it as rectangular as possible. It's off on the top by about a half inch, and when I calibrated the overscan image, I had to make the top right corner even smaller.

Last edited by Maze810; 11-21-2017 at 05:39 PM.
post #75 of 608 Old 11-21-2017, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hey, what exactly does Super White function and does it shorten the life of the lamp?
post #76 of 608 Old 11-22-2017, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szubi View Post
Hey, what exactly does Super White function and does it shorten the life of the lamp?
Epson Super White - Reduces over-exposure of whites in your image

post #77 of 608 Old 11-22-2017, 02:08 PM

Alright, folks. I got the 2100 and a new Silver Ticket 92" grey 1.0 gain screen. Unfortunately the screen does skew my analysis a bit because I'm not comparing apples to apples in terms of the surface. The previous screen was just white blackout cloth stapled to a wooden frame I put together and a 73" borderless screen. Previous screen was about 9.5 feet away from my face, whereas the new one is about 10 feet away. Former projector was BenQ w600+ 720p DLP.

My impressions...

The good

- Colours are superb. (I gave away part of my location with the spelling of 'colours'.)
- Brightness is a big step up from my previous projector, which I considered a good performer, even with ambient daylight.
- The colours and brightness come together, along with whites, to form a really clear picture; again, even with daylight. This was a 'must' for me as my screen's back is up against wall-to-wall windows. I'm sure this is some kind of grave sin in the videophile world, but allows a really cool layout and eliminates direct sunlight.
- The blacks and contrast are also a step up from the W600+. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone but did put me at ease moving from DLP to LCD. Don't expect plasma or OLED-level blacks. But they're definitely sufficient for my needs, and even in the 'bright cinema' mode I found them sufficient during the day. During the day, with all my light, the blacks did wash out a little. But somehow the image retained enough clarity (the contrast?) that I could see details clearly. (Is this the auto-iris in action?)
- The jump in resolution from 720p to 1080p is nice, even with a 19" jump in diagonal screen size.
- The knobs for adjusting zoom and focus, as well as veritcal and horizontal keystone adjustments, made setting this up quite easy.
- I am 'the princess and the pea' when it comes to judder or choppy movement. Motion and camera panning feels nice and smooth on this projector, and it felt janky to me on the 2040. I assume they made some improvements in processing. I don't have frame interpolation on, or at least it's grey in my options. (Anyone know how to change that? Is it off because I'm viewing everything through PC HDMI input?)
- The image looks very sleek in general and I'm regularly feeling impressed by it.

The bad
- I'm noticing a lot of large, messy, pixel-like "noise" in streaming video through YouTube on HD sources that looked smoother on my 720p 73" screen half a foot closer to my face. I'm assuming this is due to the scale of the screen now which makes these streaming artifacts more obvious. Standing another 5 feet back the image does look a lot more polished (and for that matter, sharper; but that's peripheral to this issue). I'll try some BluRay video and get back to you on whether this persists in my current setup. I really do believe it's the source rather than the projector.
- My screen's fault: I see a greasy-looking texture/grain in the background, primarily in lighter scenes, which is a bit distracting. At night I actually go into 'natural' colour mode and turn the brightness down to 25, which cuts down on this significantly. Still, I'm a little disappointed (again, with the screen) versus my blackout cloth screen. Though the blackout cloth did have a bit of texture of its own. I think this is generally a step up, but not as big of one as I'd expected and far from perfect.
- Fan noise is slightly higher than what I'm used to, but I'll no doubt get used to it.

Hope this helps. I am feeling very satisfied overall, and am picky when it comes to this stuff. I am not at all wishing I held out for the 2150 or spent an extra $300 CAD (location fully revealed) to get the hypothetical increase in contrast.
Maze810 and Car67 like this.
post #78 of 608 Old 11-22-2017, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidwood View Post
Alright, folks. I got the 2100 and a new Silver Ticket 92" grey 1.0 gain screen. Unfortunately the screen does skew my analysis a bit because I'm not comparing apples to apples in terms of the surface. The previous screen was just white blackout cloth stapled to a wooden frame I put together and a 73" borderless screen. Previous screen was about 9.5 feet away from my face, whereas the new one is about 10 feet away. Former projector was BenQ w600+ 720p DLP.

My impressions...

The good

- Colours are superb. (I gave away part of my location with the spelling of 'colours'.)
- Brightness is a big step up from my previous projector, which I considered a good performer, even with ambient daylight.
- The colours and brightness come together, along with whites, to form a really clear picture; again, even with daylight. This was a 'must' for me as my screen's back is up against wall-to-wall windows. I'm sure this is some kind of grave sin in the videophile world, but allows a really cool layout and eliminates direct sunlight.
- The blacks and contrast are also a step up from the W600+. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone but did put me at ease moving from DLP to LCD. Don't expect plasma or OLED-level blacks. But they're definitely sufficient for my needs, and even in the 'bright cinema' mode I found them sufficient during the day. During the day, with all my light, the blacks did wash out a little. But somehow the image retained enough clarity (the contrast?) that I could see details clearly. (Is this the auto-iris in action?)
- The jump in resolution from 720p to 1080p is nice, even with a 19" jump in diagonal screen size.
- The knobs for adjusting zoom and focus, as well as veritcal and horizontal keystone adjustments, made setting this up quite easy.
- I am 'the princess and the pea' when it comes to judder or choppy movement. Motion and camera panning feels nice and smooth on this projector, and it felt janky to me on the 2040. I assume they made some improvements in processing. I don't have frame interpolation on, or at least it's grey in my options. (Anyone know how to change that? Is it off because I'm viewing everything through PC HDMI input?)
- The image looks very sleek in general and I'm regularly feeling impressed by it.

The bad
- I'm noticing a lot of large, messy, pixel-like "noise" in streaming video through YouTube on HD sources that looked smoother on my 720p 73" screen half a foot closer to my face. I'm assuming this is due to the scale of the screen now which makes these streaming artifacts more obvious. Standing another 5 feet back the image does look a lot more polished (and for that matter, sharper; but that's peripheral to this issue). I'll try some BluRay video and get back to you on whether this persists in my current setup. I really do believe it's the source rather than the projector.
- My screen's fault: I see a greasy-looking texture/grain in the background, primarily in lighter scenes, which is a bit distracting. At night I actually go into 'natural' colour mode and turn the brightness down to 25, which cuts down on this significantly. Still, I'm a little disappointed (again, with the screen) versus my blackout cloth screen. Though the blackout cloth did have a bit of texture of its own. I think this is generally a step up, but not as big of one as I'd expected and far from perfect.
- Fan noise is slightly higher than what I'm used to, but I'll no doubt get used to it.

Hope this helps. I am feeling very satisfied overall, and am picky when it comes to this stuff. I am not at all wishing I held out for the 2150 or spent an extra $300 CAD (location fully revealed) to get the hypothetical increase in contrast.
Good to hear your happy with it. I am very antsy to get mine all setup. That sucks about the texture. The texture on the screens scared me away from most of them available. The options for near zero texture are limited. I am still waiting to get my Elunevison Reference 4k and will post a review when I get it.

post #79 of 608 Old 11-22-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmonstertruk View Post
Good to hear your happy with it. I am very antsy to get mine all setup. That sucks about the texture. The texture on the screens scared me away from most of them available. The options for near zero texture are limited. I am still waiting to get my Elunevison Reference 4k and will post a review when I get it.

Thanks for the response!

I hope you're happy with yours once you get it set up.

The screen is OK and the overall experience sitting this close to a gorgeous 92" screen without the pain points of an LED (especially light bleed) is amazing! =) Don't be afraid... it'll be good!!!

I look forward to your Elunevision reference 4k review. =)
evilmonstertruk likes this.
post #80 of 608 Old 11-23-2017, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidwood View Post
Thanks for the response!

I hope you're happy with yours once you get it set up.

The screen is OK and the overall experience sitting this close to a gorgeous 92" screen without the pain points of an LED (especially light bleed) is amazing! =) Don't be afraid... it'll be good!!!

I look forward to your Elunevision reference 4k review. =)
Hello from Greece. bidwood If you want to use frame interpolation you must put processing from fast to fine.
post #81 of 608 Old 11-23-2017, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Well, I'm now the proud owner of a Epson TW5600 thanks to this forum, so I thought it'd only be fair to sign up and post my impressions. You never know, there may be others lurking like myself curious about this projector.

My first impressions. With the caveat that this is only being projected onto the wall at the moment as my screen hasn't arrived yet.

Image quality so far is fantastic, my only experience projector wise previously was a BenQ w1100, which I'd say had slightly better contrast, but it is hard to tell without the screen yet. Regardless, it is certainly passable. Watching the Punisher on Netflix and the projector does it justice. Colours look good and sharpness is great. Not as great as the BenQ (the BenQ belongs to a friend), but I wouldn't even think about it if I wasn't actively comparing it.

Ease of use/Features - This is the reason I ultimately went for this projector, the zoom range, vertical lens shift etc make this a very versatile projector, especially for the price. It works for my room perfectly, but also seems to have scope to work in other environments as well.

Noise - Now, I know this is subjective, but I am incredibly impressed by the noise of this thing. In Normal brightness it is noticeable, but it is a low, muffled sound, not the screech I'm used to from the BenQ. And In eco I don't notice it at all. I do sit some way in front of the projector. But this was the first thing that really impressed me about the machine.

Overall so far I'm really impressed. Great colours, brightness, sharpness and ease of use. Don't regret leaving the 5650, especially as I got it from Richer Sounds for £599 with a 6 year warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2930.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	917.5 KB
ID:	2319884  
Car67 likes this.
post #82 of 608 Old 11-23-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theofilos View Post
Hello from Greece. bidwood If you want to use frame interpolation you must put processing from fast to fine.
Thanks, theofilos!! Awesome. I just watched a few seconds of an anime with it turned on and the frame interpolation is awesome! I barely noticed any artifacts. This is impressive!! By the way, do you know what the general impact is of changing the video processing from 'fast' to 'fine'? BTW, I've never been to Greece but have always wanted to. cheers =)

Edit: 'Fine' video processing increases the latency noticeably. So you definitely want 'fast' for gaming and I'd even argue for using this as a PC monitor or anything where your input is required to move something constantly. But I'm assuming 'fine' improves the cinema/video viewing somehow. This is exciting because it was already so good on 'fast'. =D !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMTK View Post
Well, I'm now the proud owner of a Epson TW5600 thanks to this forum, so I thought it'd only be fair to sign up and post my impressions. You never know, there may be others lurking like myself curious about this projector.

My first impressions. With the caveat that this is only being projected onto the wall at the moment as my screen hasn't arrived yet.

Image quality so far is fantastic, my only experience projector wise previously was a BenQ w1100, which I'd say had slightly better contrast, but it is hard to tell without the screen yet. Regardless, it is certainly passable. Watching the Punisher on Netflix and the projector does it justice. Colours look good and sharpness is great. Not as great as the BenQ (the BenQ belongs to a friend), but I wouldn't even think about it if I wasn't actively comparing it.

Ease of use/Features - This is the reason I ultimately went for this projector, the zoom range, vertical lens shift etc make this a very versatile projector, especially for the price. It works for my room perfectly, but also seems to have scope to work in other environments as well.

Noise - Now, I know this is subjective, but I am incredibly impressed by the noise of this thing. In Normal brightness it is noticeable, but it is a low, muffled sound, not the screech I'm used to from the BenQ. And In eco I don't notice it at all. I do sit some way in front of the projector. But this was the first thing that really impressed me about the machine.

Overall so far I'm really impressed. Great colours, brightness, sharpness and ease of use. Don't regret leaving the 5650, especially as I got it from Richer Sounds for £599 with a 6 year warranty.
So glad you're happy with it!! As a fellow '00' owner (called 2100 in North America), welcome to the club! =D

Last edited by bidwood; 11-23-2017 at 07:05 AM.
post #83 of 608 Old 11-24-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Really thinking about this PJ, but according to the calculators, it won't work for my Theater.
I'm throwing 20', to a 120" screen. Anyone have this setup ?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...iii-build.html
There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots
post #84 of 608 Old 11-24-2017, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma George View Post
Really thinking about this PJ, but according to the calculators, it won't work for my Theater.
I'm throwing 20', to a 120" screen. Anyone have this setup ?
That maybe too far. I'm going to do 14-15ft to a 120 when I finally get the damn screen.. taking forever!!!!

post #85 of 608 Old 11-24-2017, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Throwing about 13’ to 100” screen, seating 10’ away and looks awesome! I don’t have any good movie shots yet, but IMO they never do any PJ justice and all just look like cool stills of movies. I’m liking the 2150 a lot so far, as it’s a good balance of bright enough for moderate ambient lighting for daytime (attempting to use full time in a family room) viewing and still looks OK in the dark. The black levels aren’t very deep in a totally dark setting, but it is an entry level LCD on a budget Elite screen too, so can’t really complain there.

bidwood likes this.

post #86 of 608 Old 11-24-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Throwing about 13’ to 100” screen, seating 10’ away and looks awesome! I don’t have any good movie shots yet, but IMO they never do any PJ justice and all just look like cool stills of movies. I’m liking the 2150 a lot so far, as it’s a good balance of bright enough for moderate ambient lighting for daytime (attempting to use full time in a family room) viewing and still looks OK in the dark. The black levels aren’t very deep in a totally dark setting, but it is an entry level LCD on a budget Elite screen too, so can’t really complain there.

This! It's a great balance for people who want to use it in daylight and night time. =)
post #87 of 608 Old 11-27-2017, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3d

Anybody tested their favorite glasses on these models (specifically looking at 2150) yet? I have this PJ due to arrive Wednesday and getting anxious.
post #88 of 608 Old 11-27-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

with the right source material, settings, screen & zero room lighting this projector can produce acceptable black levels. i'd give it a solid 7/10. sometimes i find myself watching a movie in my room and the black levels look pretty bad, but then i queue up the same movie on a fixed display elsewhere and the black levels also suck! suck in, suck out, if that makes any sense :P

post #89 of 608 Old 11-28-2017, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
with the right source material, settings, screen & zero room lighting this projector can produce acceptable black levels. i'd give it a solid 7/10. sometimes i find myself watching a movie in my room and the black levels look pretty bad, but then i queue up the same movie on a fixed display elsewhere and the black levels also suck! suck in, suck out, if that makes any sense :P

True, I was a little harsh/hasty judging the black levels in one of my comments without enough PJ experience to base it on. For the money, this is a fantastic PJ, and the Epson 2150 is feature packed to the brim compared to similarly priced competitors that appear in dire need of an update.

Regarding the PJ screen, the wife wasn’t too enthusiastic at first, reluctantly allowing me to have a retractable screen in our family room, but she said she actually had a hard time going back to watching her TV shows on our now “tiny” 60 inch TV when I retracted the screen for a couple days. And of course movies are incredibly immersive and simply breathtaking at 100” from 10’ away! Bigger is better, win-win

Of course a top of the line OLED TV or 4K projector on a quality screen will have substantially better black levels for a dramatically higher cost, but I installed a 100” screen and PJ for about the same price as the TV it is replacing, and that is awesome!
serith and bear123 like this.

post #90 of 608 Old 11-28-2017, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
True, I was a little harsh/hasty judging the black levels in one of my comments without enough PJ experience to base it on. For the money, this is a fantastic PJ, and the Epson 2150 is feature packed to the brim compared to similarly priced competitors that appear in dire need of an update.

Regarding the PJ screen, the wife wasn’t too enthusiastic at first, reluctantly allowing me to have a retractable screen in our family room, but she said she actually had a hard time going back to watching her TV shows on our now “tiny” 60 inch TV when I retracted the screen for a couple days. And of course movies are incredibly immersive and simply breathtaking at 100” from 10’ away! Bigger is better, win-win

Of course a top of the line OLED TV or 4K projector on a quality screen will have substantially better black levels for a dramatically higher cost, but I installed a 100” screen and PJ for about the same price as the TV it is replacing, and that is awesome!
i've tinkered with the settings on my pj extensively. i'll happily share the settings with you if you want to try them out. heading to sleep now but will post them tomorrow if you want. i have tailored my settings for the best black levels possible (i think).
sjwoo, Sekosche, Car67 and 2 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page