Official Epson Home Cinema HC2100/2150 (TW5600/5650/5400) Owners - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #121 of 621 Old 12-06-2017, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
upgraded to a high contrast silver ticket screen, and this is what they gave me: https://imgur.com/a/LewnO

there was no way to remove the pattern (that looks like fish scales), or the two vertical lines on the other side of the screen. sent it back in hopes the next is better. i will say that black levels were noticeably improved though which is nice (.95 gain vs 1.0)--probably would not recommend this unless your room is 100% light controlled as the overall image brightness is reduced obviously.

*edit*
and no, the vertical lines & pattern were extremely visible even with the material stretched & hung--before anyone jumps to that conclusion.
Oh damn. That sucks. Hopefully the next one is better. This is the exact reason I couldn't bring myself to by that brand.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 621 Old 12-06-2017, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I know these pictures don't mean much but I love the way this projector and screen look

serith likes this.
post #123 of 621 Old 12-06-2017, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here are my room dimensions. Room will be 100% light controlled back sliding door will be blacked out.
Not sure if i should place screen were current tv is at. Note, my cable connections are on that wall.
Should I put projector on front wall, and this way I can have l shape couch along sliding glass door, since the door opens on the back wall size.
Also since back wall ceiling is higher will reflect less against white ceiling.
Another advantage is that I can have all av equipment were all the connections are.
Will just need to run speaker wires to front.
Fan will be removed.

What size screen for epson 2150 with my throw distance.
Projector will be shelf mounted

Room dimensions:

Front wall to back wall- 11ft 2in.

Front ceiling- 8ft. 2 in.

Front wall from edge of window to sliding glass- 11ft.

Back wall height- 10ft 7in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171206_221147_1512619206294.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	795.8 KB
ID:	2326908   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171206_221153_1512619300646.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	845.8 KB
ID:	2326910   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171206_221204_1512619394712.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	594.2 KB
ID:	2326912  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 621 Old 12-06-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmonstertruk View Post
Oh damn. That sucks. Hopefully the next one is better. This is the exact reason I couldn't bring myself to by that brand.

no love lost. amazon's awesome return policy has me covered. i'm out $0, and the next one is due in on friday. hopefully it doesn't have the same issues.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
post #125 of 621 Old 12-06-2017, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know these pictures don't mean much but I love the way this projector and screen look

which screen are you using, and what is your throw distance from it? also, i would paint your ceiling darker so there's less reflection.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
post #126 of 621 Old 12-07-2017, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
which screen are you using, and what is your throw distance from it? also, i would paint your ceiling darker so there's less reflection.
Its a 120in Elunevison Reference 4k Tab Tension. Right now it's about 12-13ft away. I have it sitting on my fridge that's in the basement.

Oh, I will painting everything soon. I haven't even finished the electrical yet. Very early in my build. I just couldn't resist setting it up to see. And I was not disappointed.

post #127 of 621 Old 12-07-2017, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge007 View Post
Here are my room dimensions.

What size screen for epson 2150 with my throw distance.
Projector will be shelf mounted

Room dimensions:
Front wall to back wall- 11ft 2in.
Front ceiling- 8ft. 2 in.
Front wall from edge of window to sliding glass- 11ft.
Back wall height- 10ft 7in.
I think most would recommend placing the PJ on your current TV wall and then projecting towards the back wall with the higher ceiling. This way, with the PJ shelved on the current TV wall, it will probably put the front of the lens around 10.5' to the screen. I think someone earlier, page 3?, has a 2150 at 10.0' with a 93" screen. I'd probably recommend getting a 0.95 or so gain screen to help with the closeness and this bright projector. The higher ceiling should help too.

Here's the readout calc from projectorcentral for the project placed at 10.5'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PJ1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	2327058  
post #128 of 621 Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 3634
Official Epson Home Cinema HC2100/2150 (TW5600/5650/5400) Owners

Quote:
upgraded to a high contrast silver ticket screen, and this is what they gave me: https://imgur.com/a/LewnO

there was no way to remove the pattern (that looks like fish scales), or the two vertical lines on the other side of the screen. sent it back in hopes the next is better. i will say that black levels were noticeably improved though which is nice (.95 gain vs 1.0)--probably would not recommend this unless your room is 100% light controlled as the overall image brightness is reduced obviously.

*edit*

and no, the vertical lines & pattern were extremely visible even with the material stretched & hung--before anyone jumps to that conclusion.

That’s too bad about the imperfections. My screen had a few vertical creases like that but they did stretch out after mounting; your fish scale defect areas do look funky! I hope your next screen is a beauty.

My novice understanding is that you would generally want to use a dark screen such as this in a non dedicated room or with poor light control as it absorbs more ambient light and reflections, deepening the blacks, enhancing contrast and in turn the colors being less washed out as well. It may be a hair less bright on paper than the 1.1 gain cheap screen it replaced, but I honestly can’t really tell.

This 106” ST-HC screen pairs wonderfully in my family room with the Epson 2150. I need to finish mounting the screen with some bottom support as it is just hanging from a couple L brackets and is not parallel to the wall...doing that after this post.

This iPhone picture doesn’t do the PJ image justice on this screen as a lot of the shadow detail isn’t properly captured and the cheek highlights look much too bright, but this is with the blinds closed on 3 windows with completely sheer curtains in the middle of the day in my family room. Just took this Avatar pic (TS 1:16:33), setup pics from yesterday.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast

Last edited by Sekosche; 12-07-2017 at 09:09 AM.
post #129 of 621 Old 12-07-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
That’s too bad about the imperfections. My screen had a few vertical creases like that but they did stretch out after mounting; your fish scale defect areas do look funky! I hope your next screen is a beauty.

My novice understanding is that you would generally want to use a dark screen such as this in a non dedicated room or with poor light control as it absorbs more ambient light and reflections, deepening the blacks, enhancing contrast and in turn the colors being less washed out as well. It may be a hair less bright on paper than the 1.1 gain cheap screen it replaced, but I honestly can’t really tell.

This 106” ST-HC screen pairs wonderfully in my family room with the Epson 2150. I need to finish mounting the screen with some bottom support as it is just hanging from a couple L brackets and is not parallel to the wall...doing that after this post.

This iPhone picture doesn’t do the PJ image justice on this screen as a lot of the shadow detail isn’t properly captured and the cheek highlights look much too bright, but this is with the blinds closed on 3 windows with completely sheer curtains in the middle of the day in my family room. Just took this Avatar pic (TS 1:16:33), setup pics from yesterday.

i read that you want a lower gain screen for two reasons. first like you mentioned, for areas that are fighting ambient light. the 2nd is to help with projectors with weaker contrast ratings, which the 2150 has. i had a 1.1 screen, it was awful in a dark room--blacks were very grey. the screen was just too bright. moved down to the grey screen, much better, but still think i can improve it a bit with the HC screen.

the way they expect you to mount these screens is an effort in futility. i hung mine from 2 screws at the top of the screen, and then used molly bolts & large washers to secure the bottom against the wall. no matter what we did there was too much slop and the screen wasn't flush against the wall using the brackets that came with the screen to hang it normally.

yeah 2nd screen just arrived, going to just check out the material before i bother putting it together. hoping it isn't FUBAR'd.
Sekosche likes this.

post #130 of 621 Old 12-07-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

the way they expect you to mount these screens is an effort in futility. i hung mine from 2 screws at the top of the screen, and then used molly bolts & large washers to secure the bottom against the wall. no matter what we did there was too much slop and the screen wasn't flush against the wall using the brackets that came with the screen to hang it normally.

yeah 2nd screen just arrived, going to just check out the material before i bother putting it together. hoping it isn't FUBAR'd.

Definitely agree about the mounting. I just messed with mine for a half hour trying to get it just right for where I want it, but I do have it hanging from chain on an L bracket with eye bolts going into a couple carabiners on the keyhole mounts that came with the screen and then the bottom supported by a couple 2x6” boards that I screwed into the back of my entertainment center, so it was a pain to get the right angle and distance between two moving objects.

How’s your ST screen replacement screen look?

Stretching that thing taut was extremely difficult by myself, but I did add the crossbar first since I kept reading that was the most difficult part. This darker high contrast screen helps a lot with blacks and colors seem much more vibrant in my less than ideal room.

I can’t imagine getting a better value on any screen and PJ combo for around $1K than with this Epson 2150 and 106” ST-HC screen. I’ll probably change bulbs annually as long as they’re only $49, but I’m curious how it’ll hold up over time with 100-200 hours a month on it.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
post #131 of 621 Old 12-07-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Definitely agree about the mounting. I just messed with mine for a half hour trying to get it just right for where I want it, but I do have it hanging from chain on an L bracket with eye bolts going into a couple carabiners on the keyhole mounts that came with the screen and then the bottom supported by a couple 2x6” boards that I screwed into the back of my entertainment center, so it was a pain to get the right angle and distance between two moving objects.

How’s your ST screen replacement screen look?

Stretching that thing taut was extremely difficult by myself, but I did add the crossbar first since I kept reading that was the most difficult part. This darker high contrast screen helps a lot with blacks and colors seem much more vibrant in my less than ideal room.

I can’t imagine getting a better value on any screen and PJ combo for around $1K than with this Epson 2150 and 106” ST-HC screen. I’ll probably change bulbs annually as long as they’re only $49, but I’m curious how it’ll hold up over time with 100-200 hours a month on it.
this is now my 4th screen from silver ticket, as 3 have been defective including the one i received today--same fish scale problem. i didn't even bother assembling the frame this time, just pulled the material out and had a look. never-mind the vertical lines that would probably show after the material is stretched as the last screen did, but how in the world do these fish scale patterns end up on the material? did they have a bad day of production or something? they aren't light or fine to the touch either, they're very rough and deep.

pictures: https://imgur.com/a/uDL4j

back to amazon it goes.

post #132 of 621 Old 12-09-2017, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Ive had the 2150 for about 8 days and I was loving it...but in the last few days the PJ seems to having some issues. I have a pc hooked up and the PJ goes black and then comes back after a second. Tonight I was messing with eco and normal power and the lamp seemed to flutter or flicker after that. I powered it down and powered back up and the flicker seemed to go away but I didnt run it for long after that. Anyone else have odd issues like this? I have another 6 days to return it to bestbuy and I am thinking about it. Any help would be appreciated.
post #133 of 621 Old 12-09-2017, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretesque View Post
Ive had the 2150 for about 8 days and I was loving it...but in the last few days the PJ seems to having some issues. I have a pc hooked up and the PJ goes black and then comes back after a second. Tonight I was messing with eco and normal power and the lamp seemed to flutter or flicker after that. I powered it down and powered back up and the flicker seemed to go away but I didnt run it for long after that. Anyone else have odd issues like this? I have another 6 days to return it to bestbuy and I am thinking about it. Any help would be appreciated.
the quality control on the lamp seems to be hit & miss after reading this & other threads for this model projector (i'm already up to 100+ hours without issue). while it's probably just the lamp having issues, i would just return the model and buy it again at best buy. that's the beauty of retail protection (at least during the window where you can return it). bestbuy will just send it back to epson and epson will fix/resell it--not your problem.

post #134 of 621 Old 12-10-2017, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
the quality control on the lamp seems to be hit & miss after reading this & other threads for this model projector (i'm already up to 100+ hours without issue). while it's probably just the lamp having issues, i would just return the model and buy it again at best buy. that's the beauty of retail protection (at least during the window where you can return it). bestbuy will just send it back to epson and epson will fix/resell it--not your problem.
Thanks Serith. Looks like I have until 12/31 to return it. I have a cheap hdmi splitter hooked up right now and I am going to try removing that from the equation to see if it helps. If not, I will exhange it at BestBuy.

edit. exchanged at bestbuy and currently running video. hopefully no issues pop up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20171210_163438.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2328758  
serith and jasonsong like this.

Last edited by bretesque; 12-10-2017 at 02:40 PM.
post #135 of 621 Old 12-11-2017, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I have this projector and more often than not, when I watch a Blu-Ray there is this grainy look to it. Especially in walls and the in the sky for example. Is there a setting that can fix this or lessen it?
post #136 of 621 Old 12-11-2017, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauldo67 View Post
I have this projector and more often than not, when I watch a Blu-Ray there is this grainy look to it. Especially in walls and the in the sky for example. Is there a setting that can fix this or lessen it?
What kind of screen are you using?

post #137 of 621 Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

i 2nd the screen question, as well as what settings you're using.

post #138 of 621 Old 12-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Make sure your color settings are matched. If you are sending expanded color space make sure your projector is looking for that or vice verse with limited.
post #139 of 621 Old 12-12-2017, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Idk if this is in this thread but I'll put the link to the review here.

https://www.projectorreviews.com/eps...jector-review/

post #140 of 621 Old 12-13-2017, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Epson Home Cinema HC2100/2150 (TW5600/5650/5400) Owners

115 hours on the Epson 2150 and no issues to speak of, running it mostly in bright cinema mode. I have yet to tweak any settings to help with shadows, blacks, etc. but there’s room for improvement. As it stands in the default mode, the blacks are crushed a bit and shadow detail lost. To my eye, the colors look fairly accurate and are vibrant/saturated.

My spouse doesn’t always like watching TV or eating with the lights off during a movie; in an effort to reduce the image turning yellow or drastically washing out, I swapped the soft white 2700K bulbs in two lamps for a couple 40 watt 6500K bulbs, and it seems to do the trick. While the blacks are obviously more gray with a small lamp on, the projected image no longer has a yellow tint to it across the screen, which I found unbearable. The colors stay neutral, and the picture quality is now acceptable during times when extra ambient light is necessary.

I read that white level is often calibrated to 6500K, similar to sunlight around noon, so I guess this could be one reason why.

Last edited by Sekosche; 12-13-2017 at 01:27 AM.
post #141 of 621 Old 12-13-2017, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If you can cast some led light narrow spot from the ceiling to your table only, or where you seat, avoiding direct light to the screen, you can get a better result. And in that way you can also use cold or warm leds if better.
Sekosche likes this.

Epson TW5350(HC 2045), Darbee DVP-5000S, Himedia Q5 Pro, Sony BDP-S6700,
3D RF glasses: Epson, Samsung, Xpand. Fuji FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max, 3D Tablet F892B
YT 3D Video Library
post #142 of 621 Old 12-13-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:

It is an Elite Screens 120 inch screen, the screen area is white. I don't know any other details about it. It is an older screen, bought in 2009.
post #143 of 621 Old 12-13-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
It is an Elite Screens 120 inch screen, the screen area is white. I don't know any other details about it. It is an older screen, bought in 2009.
What is your HDMI color range set to on you Blu Ray player? Should be something like limited, expanded, normal...
post #144 of 621 Old 12-13-2017, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

5th defective high contrast silver ticket screen: https://imgur.com/a/qVpUj

at this point all i can say is WTF. they are now out of stock. i plan to try again when they have more in stock. this is crazy.

*edit* they are back in stock on amazon. but i would bet any amount of money that the 2 that are in stock now are the 2 that i sent back as defective. sigh.

Last edited by serith; 12-13-2017 at 11:18 PM.
post #145 of 621 Old 12-14-2017, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

at this point all i can say is WTF. they are now out of stock. i plan to try again when they have more in stock. this is crazy.

*edit* they are back in stock on amazon. but i would bet any amount of money that the 2 that are in stock now are the 2 that i sent back as defective. sigh.
Wow dud that's crazy. Have you looked at the Elunevison ALR? My screen was super abused by DHL and still came in perfect condition

post #146 of 621 Old 12-14-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That’s crazy! I’d definitely be really mad/frustrated after the second or third screen with the same issue. You’d think ST would save money in the end with better quality control.

My 106” ST-HC screen isn’t flawless with one very shallow 6-8” vertical crease at the top right corner that didn’t quite stretch out after mounting and two small “scratches” in the dark gray finish of the same corner that displays certain content as more reflective, but it’s only noticeable during bright white color scenes and doesn’t detract from the overall experience (and I’m the only one that notices it of course). After seeing some people getting defective screens, I decided to keep it and tolerate this minor issue and might be able to stretch it out a little more, as it disappears when I apply more pressure to the tension rods.

Your warping/bubbling of the material definitely seems like a weird manufacturing defect that maybe is occurring after it is packaged or possibly from packaging too early post processing; I would hope they wouldn’t ship so many screens out looking like that.

At what point will you go with another manufacturer?

post #147 of 621 Old 12-14-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That’s crazy! I’d definitely be really mad/frustrated after the second or third screen with the same issue. You’d think ST would save money in the end with better quality control.

My 106” ST-HC screen isn’t flawless with one very shallow 6-8” vertical crease at the top right corner that didn’t quite stretch out after mounting and two small “scratches” in the dark gray finish of the same corner that displays certain content as more reflective, but it’s only noticeable during bright white color scenes and doesn’t detract from the overall experience (and I’m the only one that notices it of course). After seeing some people getting defective screens, I decided to keep it and tolerate this minor issue and might be able to stretch it out a little more, as it disappears when I apply more pressure to the tension rods.

Your warping/bubbling of the material definitely seems like a weird manufacturing defect that maybe is occurring after it is packaged or possibly from packaging too early post processing; I would hope they wouldn’t ship so many screens out looking like that.

At what point will you go with another manufacturer?
right now i'm using a 110" grey silver ticket w/1.0 gain and it's flawless. i just wanted to upgrade to a high contrast screen for better black levels, SILLY ME!

it's not costing me anything to keep trying. last night i put in the dimensions & weight of the shipping box into a ups shipping calculator and it's telling me it costs about $50 to ship each way. i'm sure a company gets better rates but it's still costing them $ to keep sending me these fish-scale screens. friend of mine thinks they're all the same screen but i have documented photos of each and the scales are all in different places on the screens.

i feel like i'm committed to the cause now. maybe i'll end up on some monthly WTF report @ silver ticket HQ and someone will send me a defect-free screen!

post #148 of 621 Old 12-15-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP11 View Post
What is your HDMI color range set to on you Blu Ray player? Should be something like limited, expanded, normal...

I will check it tonight. What should it be?
post #149 of 621 Old 12-15-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IP11 View Post

I will check it tonight. What should it be?
Make it limited or normal. Then check your color settings on the pj.
post #150 of 621 Old 12-17-2017, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just wanted to say this is my first PJ and so far I am loving it. Right now I am using a DaLite screen that was donated to me from a friend. It's a 4.3 but until I get a 120' or bigger who cares. I am really liking the big screen in my yet to be finished basement and am learning a lot reading these post. I need to purchase a receiver,speakers, and a new screen in good time. My first priority will be just trying to figure out the best spot for everything. The 2150 looks great out of the box, but should I go into the settings and mess with them? Does it all depend on the screen or will the settings listed on page 3 work for any screen? I should add I am not sure what my screen is other than it looks to be cinema white and I think the donor said 1.0 gain and it was around $900 maybe 10 yrs old. It is actually a very nice screen, just a little small at 80" x 60".

Epson 2150
Da lite screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page