Weird new pixel pattern on our Epson projector - Help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By rekbones
  • 1 Post By Rob79
  • 2 Post By Eric Kniffin
  • 1 Post By descalabro
  • 1 Post By Rob79
  • 1 Post By nijimon

post #1 of 15 Old 11-17-2017, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Angry Weird new pixel pattern on our Epson projector - Help!

We have had an Epson 3020 for about four years with no problems. I went downstairs to check on the kids yesterday and noticed a pixel pattern on the screen (see attached pictures). I'm told it just started up a few days ago. I've tried different inputs and the pattern remains. I'm not sure what to do! Any ideas?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	2317172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9926.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	530.9 KB
ID:	2317174  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-18-2017, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Assuming this shows up with projector menus ruling out source problem it looks like an issue with either the main board, an LCD panel or the connection between them. Fair chance it's just a poor connection and reseating the cable my cure it. It is not a job for a novice but anyone with some delicate electronic experience should be able to handle it.
ScottAvery likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 15 Old 11-18-2017, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Assuming this shows up with projector menus ruling out source problem it looks like an issue with either the main board, an LCD panel or the connection between them. Fair chance it's just a poor connection and reseating the cable my cure it. It is not a job for a novice but anyone with some delicate electronic experience should be able to handle it.
I don't mean to encourage Eric Kniffin to do things he may not be prepared to do, but unplugging and plugging back an LCD cable is still one of the more accessible operations one can do, because, on models like his, you only have to remove the top housing and the LCD cable connections are right there on the top, and those cables can be unplugged with a simple switch.

However — and this is just a very wild guess — I would say it's the mainboard that has some problem and is sending that pattern information to the LCD's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-18-2017, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
I don't mean to encourage Eric Kniffin to do things he may not be prepared to do, but unplugging and plugging back an LCD cable is still one of the more accessible operations one can do, because, on models like his, you only have to remove the top housing and the LCD cable connections are right there on the top, and those cables can be unplugged with a simple switch.

However — and this is just a very wild guess — I would say it's the mainboard that has some problem and is sending that pattern information to the LCD's.
Wow - thank you both! Very helpful. I don't have any specialized electronics training, but I'm pretty handy. I will try to look up a diagram and reposition the cable. If that doesn't work, where should I look to take my projector? An authorized Epson repair shop? Some place that specializes in projectors? Thanks again!
post #5 of 15 Old 11-18-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kniffin View Post
Wow - thank you both! Very helpful. I don't have any specialized electronics training, but I'm pretty handy. I will try to look up a diagram and reposition the cable. If that doesn't work, where should I look to take my projector? An authorized Epson repair shop? Some place that specializes in projectors? Thanks again!
First, don't forget to try a different source, like rekbones said. You can also try resetting your colour profiles (you will lose calibration settings), or do a full reset (you will lose also the lamp hours count).

Then, here's the diagram: https://www.gedat-spareparts.com/ex/eh_tw6100.pdf

After you remove all the bottom screws and the 2 screws at the top, on the back, gently loosen the housing. If it doesn't move, then you need to take the other 2. If it still doesn't move, then you left a screw to remove somewhere. Never force anything: if it feels tight, it's because it needs to be unscrewed somewhere. Once you're able to loosen the housing, peek underneath before you remove it, because there's one cable attaching the mainboard to the button menu; you'll have to flip the housing backwards after it's loosened. The LCD ribbon cables are the 3 wider ones behind the lens, they form a square pattern. Pulling up the tab switch should release them, pressing down should lock them.

As for Epson official repairs, in this situation, they're likely to charge you as much as a new projector. You can look for unofficial repairers, but I suspect that if you don't fix it by unplugging and re-plugging the LCD cables, it will still be too expensive to fix.

Good luck!

Last edited by descalabro; 11-18-2017 at 08:51 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-18-2017, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
We have had an Epson 3020 for about four years with no problems. I went downstairs to check on the kids yesterday and noticed a pixel pattern on the screen (see attached pictures). I'm told it just started up a few days ago. I've tried different inputs and the pattern remains. I'm not sure what to do! Any ideas?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Hey, What are the chances we both have a similar issue. I have a Mitsubishi HC5500 3LCD projector it is coming up on 8 years now. It has a very similar issue. I was going to look at a new Epson 3100 or maybe a 4000 but I think it is prob worth me trying to fix this. My pattern is only 2 pixels but covers the whole screen in a kinda screen door effect. Anyways does anyone have any experience with this projector? Mitsubishi was nice enough to send me the tech manual for it since they see it as End of Life and they have left the projector business. I will keep you updated on how this goes. oh just to add to mine, the pattern shows up even on the mitsubishi splash screen on startup but it does not show on the projector menus or test patterns built into the projector, crosshatch, blue, red, green. I am assuming that the video inputs go through some kind of filter PCB or possible the menus use a different chip to overlay? Anyways was just an interesting thing I noticed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171114_214537.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2317784  

Last edited by Rob79; 11-18-2017 at 03:34 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-19-2017, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob79 View Post
Hey, What are the chances we both have a similar issue. I have a Mitsubishi HC5500 3LCD projector it is coming up on 8 years now. It has a very similar issue. I was going to look at a new Epson 3100 or maybe a 4000 but I think it is prob worth me trying to fix this. My pattern is only 2 pixels but covers the whole screen in a kinda screen door effect. Anyways does anyone have any experience with this projector? Mitsubishi was nice enough to send me the tech manual for it since they see it as End of Life and they have left the projector business. I will keep you updated on how this goes. oh just to add to mine, the pattern shows up even on the mitsubishi splash screen on startup but it does not show on the projector menus or test patterns built into the projector, crosshatch, blue, red, green. I am assuming that the video inputs go through some kind of filter PCB or possible the menus use a different chip to overlay? Anyways was just an interesting thing I noticed.
The more people post details about this, the more it seems like a mainboard problem. And it seems like unless someone can fix this at chip component level, it doesn't look like a cheap fix. Unless ofcourse someone finds a board from a dead projector to replace it.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-19-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
The more people post details about this, the more it seems like a mainboard problem. And it seems like unless someone can fix this at chip component level, it doesn't look like a cheap fix. Unless ofcourse someone finds a board from a dead projector to replace it.
Yes for sure most likely a board issue. I was just interested to see as I could not find many examples of LCD projectors doing this. 99% are DLP and a well documented issue on how to fix and why it happens. I have not found the same for LCD. Still trying to decide when to try the fix, the projector is still usable for gaming as it just looks like a major screen door effect. Prob will try sometime this week.
descalabro likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-20-2017, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes for sure most likely a board issue. I was just interested to see as I could not find many examples of LCD projectors doing this. 99% are DLP and a well documented issue on how to fix and why it happens. I have not found the same for LCD. Still trying to decide when to try the fix, the projector is still usable for gaming as it just looks like a major screen door effect. Prob will try sometime this week.
Thank you all for your helpful input. I plugged the LCD cable back in and the distortion pattern is gone--the image looks great! I did not think I was going to be able to salvage the projector. So grateful!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
ScottAvery and descalabro like this.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-20-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you all for your helpful input. I plugged the LCD cable back in and the distortion pattern is gone--the image looks great! I did not think I was going to be able to salvage the projector. So grateful!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
That's great!

And now I know a badly connected LCD cable can cause a pattern, and not just an odd colour.
ScottAvery likes this.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-20-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Well there you go, I took some time on Monday to take the Mitsubishi hc5500 apart with the help of the maintenance manual and I reset all cables, about 30 or so connections of various type and Bam my issue is also fixed. So I think this shows yes DLP projectors have many issues like this over time but good old LCD can be fixed and yes a ribbon cable or a cable in general can cause distortion patterns. Hope this post helps future projectors also!!
descalabro likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-21-2017, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well there you go, I took some time on Monday to take the Mitsubishi hc5500 apart with the help of the maintenance manual and I reset all cables, about 30 or so connections of various type and Bam my issue is also fixed. So I think this shows yes DLP projectors have many issues like this over time but good old LCD can be fixed and yes a ribbon cable or a cable in general can cause distortion patterns. Hope this post helps future projectors also!!
That's great. I didn't think a bad connection could cause an image issue more complex than some colored stripes, but when I think about all the weird patterns my old NES did with some cartridges, it makes sense.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-23-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had this problem with an Epson 5030 and reseating the LCD ribbon cables seems to have fixed it for me as well, hopefully anyone else who had this issue sees this thread.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-16-2019, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettmoore View Post
I just had this problem with an Epson 5030 and reseating the LCD ribbon cables seems to have fixed it for me as well, hopefully anyone else who had this issue sees this thread.
I had this same issue happen on my Epson EH-TW8200 this weekend (5030UB in the US). Thanks to everyone on this thread who helped me sort it out.

Happy to say that after taking it apart that I detached/attached the 3 ribbon cables to the LCD panels and it fixed the issue. The cables themselves seemed securely seated to begin with.

The below link is a tear-down to this series of projector. Note that you don't have to remove any of the bottom screws or those to the back fascia to get access to the ribbon cables and that the hardest thing is getting the front fascia off as there are 4 shallow tabs along the top.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front and top panels removed.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	790.2 KB
ID:	2540222   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 ribbon cables.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	714.1 KB
ID:	2540224  
descalabro likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-17-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijimon View Post
I had this same issue happen on my Epson EH-TW8200 this weekend (5030UB in the US). Thanks to everyone on this thread who helped me sort it out.

Happy to say that after taking it apart that I detached/attached the 3 ribbon cables to the LCD panels and it fixed the issue. The cables themselves seemed securely seated to begin with.

The below link is a tear-down to this series of projector. Note that you don't have to remove any of the bottom screws or those to the back fascia to get access to the ribbon cables and that the hardest thing is getting the front fascia off as there are 4 shallow tabs along the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN7dAm7DrW
Always great to see someone repairing their own projector!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
display issues , Epson , troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page