Want a 4K projector, but need some advice/recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Want a 4K projector, but need some advice/recommendations

EDIT: Okay, so I guess I was confused as to what projectors have "Native 4K". The differences are like what are shown here (https://y o u t u.be/cDNELVmKZfk?t=544) <-- Don't want to embed video. Keeps trying to embed video . The UHD65 appears to have superior resolution in this case. That's what I'm talking about. Sorry for the confusion.

Things I want:
  • 3D
  • Frame Interpolation or some kind of Smooth Motion (sorry purists!)
  • EDIT: Closest to native 4K as possible without spending $5k
  • HDR (decent colors and black levels)
  • A noticeably superior image quality compared to my current Viewsonic PJD7820HD
  • Acceptable lag for gaming (some kind of game mode or option to turn off lag-inducing processing)

I have seen some side-by-side comparisons (not in person) of e-shift vs native 4K and as far as I can tell, I would prefer native. I would like the option to view 3D, but it's not an absolute must as I use it very rarely. I like smooth motion as the panning judder really bugs me and I have gotten used to smooth motion on televisions. I know I can't necessarily have it all, but I thought I'd put it out there so you get the full picture.

Options I've been considering for months:
  • Optoma UHD60/65
  • Acer H7850
  • Epson 5040UB
  • Epson 4000
  • EDIT 2: Vivitek HK2288 - Just recently found out about this one. No idea what it has going for it, but it's only $1500 right now.

The longest dimension of my room is 17' and my screen is 128" diagonal (which in hindsight is too big for the room). It is a dedicated movie room with dark walls and ceiling and no windows or external light sources. I have a Carl's FlexiWhite screen that I built a frame for. For the last few years I've been using a Viewsonic PJD7820HD. I've been waiting for some kind of sale because I've been hesitant to spend $2500 on a projector, but the current deals are enticing.

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tineras; 11-21-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tineras View Post
Things I want:

• 3D
  • Frame Interpolation or some kind of Smooth Motion (sorry purists!)
  • Native 4K
  • HDR (decent colors and black levels)
  • A noticeably superior image quality compared to my current Viewsonic PJD7820HD
  • Acceptable lag for gaming (some kind of game mode or option to turn off lag-inducing processing)

I have seen some side-by-side comparisons (not in person) of e-shift vs native 4K and as far as I can tell, I would prefer native. I would like the option to view 3D, but it's not an absolute must as I use it very rarely. I like smooth motion as the panning judder really bugs me and I have gotten used to smooth motion on televisions. I know I can't necessarily have it all, but I thought I'd put it out there so you get the full picture.

Options I've been considering for months:

• Optoma UHD60/65
  • Acer H7850
  • Epson 5040UB
  • Epson 4000

The longest dimension of my room is 17' and my screen is 128" diagonal (which in hindsight is too big for the room). It is a dedicated movie room with dark walls and ceiling and no windows or external light sources. I have a Carl's FlexiWhite screen that I built a frame for. For the last few years I've been using a Viewsonic PJD7820HD. I've been waiting for some kind of sale because I've been hesitant to spend $2500 on a projector, but the current deals are enticing.

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I believe only the Acer you mentioned is a native 4k projection. All others use some kind of manipulation to display 4k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Those aren't native 4k projectors, and the current crop of semi-4k DLP's are testing around 1,000:1 contrast. So black levels will be awful.

Cheapest native 4k is 5,000 from Sony, and it's huge step up to the entry level DLPs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanivkin View Post
I believe only the Acer you mentioned is a native 4k projection. All others use some kind of manipulation to display 4k.

My mistake. None of them are native 4k.

post #5 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Those aren't native 4k projectors, and the current crop of semi-4k DLP's are testing around 1,000:1 contrast. So black levels will be awful.

Cheapest native 4k is 5,000 from Sony, and it's huge step up to the entry level DLPs.
Noted. I updated my original post.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineras View Post
Noted. I updated my original post.

I can't really comment on the 3d or gaming, but if you want better black levels then the 5040 is your best choice there.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was about to post a very similar black friday, holiday shopping request. So I hope you don't mind if we work together. My current setup is linked in my signature. I am probably more interested in 4k for my PS4 Pro than Blu-Ray, DirecTV or Netflix.

Have any "native 4k" projectors even been announced?

My Panasonic AE4000U is ready for a new bulb and I'm thinking of spending $3000 on a new PJ and Receiver vs. $300 for a bulb. I'm interested in HDR and 4k but not at the cost of reduced contrast or black levels.

Any suggestions are welcome
post #8 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabagboy View Post
I was about to post a very similar black friday, holiday shopping request. So I hope you don't mind if we work together. My current setup is linked in my signature. I am probably more interested in 4k for my PS4 Pro than Blu-Ray, DirecTV or Netflix.

My Panasonic AE4000U is ready for a new bulb and I'm thinking of spending $3000 on a new PJ and Receiver vs. $300 for a bulb. I'm interested in HDR and 4k but not at the cost of reduced contrast or black levels.

Yes, the cheapest is 5,000.

These dlp's are very close to 4k, you will see an increase in resolution. However, until they can resolve a one pixel line on/off pattern, I refuse to call them native 4k.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-22-2017, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Yes, the cheapest is 5,000.

These dlp's are very close to 4k, you will see an increase in resolution. However, until they can resolve a one pixel line on/off pattern, I refuse to call them native 4k.
Thanks Verge, I appreciate that I will see an increase above the 1080i PJ have now.
But Perhaps the key Q is -
Is the difference between this batch of DLPs and the Sony native 4k PJ worth $3,000? or how long before there are some native 4k PJ at $2000?
post #10 of 13 Old 11-22-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2861 Post(s)
Liked: 2879
We really need a sticky...

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-22-2017, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
We really need a sticky...
There is a somewhat-related sticky, but it's a year old and doesn't include the latest "4K" offerings. I'm sure this is a repetitive type of post and I understand each of these projectors has their own threads, but they are literally hundreds of pages when combined and that's a lot of information to digest. A sticky highlighting the main pros/cons as well as clarifications about conflicting answers (like "does this do 3d?") would be nice. Also, so links at the beginning explaining e-shift vs. native and other foundational information wouldn't hurt. Also, I've seen it mentioned, but I'm not sure what a "linker" is used for so that might also be good to include.

I did just find out that my stupid Sony receiver will not support 4K despite it being advertised as 4K, so that's another hurdle and more $$$.

First world problems... I know.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-22-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabagboy View Post

Nothing native, the Sony's are just out of your budget.

I would look into a JVC, the RS-520 is just barely above your price range, and the RS-420 should be within it.
It may not be native, but you'll get a huge huge jump in black levels.

The JVC Rs-420 can do real contrast over 25,000:1 with the DI turned off, and can go much much higher with the DI (200k+).
The RS-520 even higher, about 70,000:1 with the DI off and pretty much totally pitch black fade outs with the DI...

The JVC's have quadruple the native contrast or more compared to an Epson...

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #13 of 13 Old 11-27-2017, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Have a look at the new projector that BenQ is releasing in January.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page