5040UB sharper than UHD65? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 34 Old 01-25-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked: 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Ahh, no, yes, no.

I've had both for two weeks. The 5040UB has some enhancement modes, and a color alignment feature that most people don't know about or explore.

As for the Optoma UHD65, it too has an alignment feature and some pixel enhancement.
Hi, Bob. What was the alignment feature for the UHD65? Was it for layering the pixels or something like that....wondering because it's single chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 01-25-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Hi, Bob. What was the alignment feature for the UHD65? Was it for layering the pixels or something like that....wondering because it's single chip.
As I remember, it has a Color Management System (CMS). You select the color and there is a grid wherein you adjust the x and y of the color. You can also adjust the brightness. The 5040 has a similar feature to align the 3 LCD colors. You can download the UHD65 manual and see it described, although, they don't include a working example.
post #33 of 34 Old 12-02-2019, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
The 5040UB is very soft compared to the UHD65. Not even close. The 5040UB, while it has a 4K mode, for the most part just removes screen door effect with that mode - there appears little real resolution gained. For some reason, unlike JVC, Epson does not seem to reach the ~3K potential or gain any real detail by shifting its native 2K panel. Not sure if it's Epson's algorithm, lens, alignment, or some combination of these - JVC does much better with the same resolution panel.

The Optoma UHD65 looks extremely sharp with 4K content, similar to Sony's 4K projectors. The lens uniformity may not be perfect in all samples with some brightness falloff at corners, but that will vary from unit to unit.

The 5040UB is so soft, I'd say even a cheap 1080p DLP like the BenQ HT2050 is sharper.
I know this was posted a while ago, but I just went from a 2050 to the 5040UB and can say that the 5040 has a much sharper feel to it. Not as sharp as my friend's UHD65 but I can't see any actual pixels from my normal viewing distance. Just my two cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 Old 12-02-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2554 Post(s)
Liked: 1381
The Epson's vary in sharpness according to how good of convergence you received (your particular sample), however they are generally as sharp as some of the cheaper DLP's, but not all.
The Viewsonics are (from the reviews) a bit sharper, then the Optomas are next, then the Benq's. Some of the Benqs are the least sharp of the cheaper DLP's, but depends on the Benq model.

The problem is it is somewhat of an Apple to Oranges comparison, you are comparing an LCD with a wider pixel gap to a 4k DLP with a lesser pixel gap.
I suppose it might be more fair with the Epson's e-shift engaged, but given the Epson's e-shift algorithm has imperfections, still hard to judge.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page