BenQ TH671ST Short Throw Gaming Projector Review and Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 01-24-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1889 View Post
@dave - yes. I'm projecting straight from my PC, and given the space, I'd like to take advantage of the height I have. I'm not too savvy with this, so forgive me if I'm misspeaking but I think that I can force the PC to create a 16:10 display.
I didn't really answer your question I see. My apologies. I can make the screen whatever size I want at this point, I don't have to define the screen size just yet but I do have the space to make it 16:10. I'd like to fill it with 16:10 for a better experience and take full advantage of the height I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 01-24-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 4497 Post(s)
Liked: 4120
I believe that most golf simulator software is 16:9 aspect ratio. If so then converting it to 16:10 to fill a 16:10 screen will require either electronically stretching and distorting the image or cutting off parts of the image. It might be best to wait until you're actually up and running so you can try different options and see what they look like to you. The TH671ST will accept 16:10 input but I'm not exactly sure what it does with that input to fit it on a 16:10 screen since the projector itself is native 16:9. Maybe a TH671ST owner has some experience to share.
post #33 of 42 Old 03-28-2019, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Bright-light flicker

hello,

Had this a few months now, and am overall very pleased with the purchase, bright enough even for Tv-watching in the afternoons, a lot of fun watching cartoons with the kids and great for late movie-nights.
The occasional flicker when adjusting to bright scenes had me wondering though, if it is a sign of failing bulb or something with the light-sensor not working as intended. Occurs when changing to bright scenes or a portion of the picture is very much brighter than the rest, also when displaying static slideshows using a Chrome-cast ultra.
best regards,
A Torgersen, CZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 03-28-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 3058 Post(s)
Liked: 3175
BenQ TH671ST Short Throw Gaming Projector Review and Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasbratsche View Post
hello,

Had this a few months now, and am overall very pleased with the purchase, bright enough even for Tv-watching in the afternoons, a lot of fun watching cartoons with the kids and great for late movie-nights.

The occasional flicker when adjusting to bright scenes had me wondering though, if it is a sign of failing bulb or something with the light-sensor not working as intended. Occurs when changing to bright scenes or a portion of the picture is very much brighter than the rest, also when displaying static slideshows using a Chrome-cast ultra.

best regards,

A Torgersen, CZ

I hadn’t seen that on my sample. Have you tried playing with any settings? The TH671ST has a auto sensing gamma adjustment called LumiExpert— have you tried adjusting that setting or disabling it? Also, all BenQ projectors have a lamp dimming mode called SmartEco that some people notice as an iris-like flicker. You might try disabling that and test.

If all else fails it could be a defect. The BenQ has a whopping 3 year warranty so you should be able to get it serviced free of charge.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #35 of 42 Old 03-31-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I hadn’t seen that on my sample. Have you tried playing with any settings? The TH671ST has a auto sensing gamma adjustment called LumiExpert— have you tried adjusting that setting or disabling it? Also, all BenQ projectors have a lamp dimming mode called SmartEco that some people notice as an iris-like flicker. You might try disabling that and test.

If all else fails it could be a defect. The BenQ has a whopping 3 year warranty so you should be able to get it serviced free of charge.
Thanks a lot for your input, I have tried to play around with the settings, and have come to the conclusion that the flickering or sudden "iris" change as you described it, have something to do with the Eco-lamp setting. Having used the lamp on "normal" now a few days,, I haven't noticed the sudden dimming or change of luminosity anymore. Apparently, the LumiExpert seems to work as intended.
On the other hand, another issue has been increasingly present lately, namely a high-pitched whine when the screen is black (for instance when the lights are out using "Eco-Blank") Apparently it is not coming from the fan, but some of the circuitry. What could be the reason for this, failing electronics or normal behaviour?

best regards from CZ,
A Torgersen
post #36 of 42 Old 06-18-2019, 05:44 AM

A small update to my experiences with this device:
Had it sent to warranty-service, due to dust on the inside and kind of a wobbly lens when focusing, they had the whole lens replaced. The projector was returned after 3 weeks, and ta-da! the wobbliness and dustiness are all gone!
The high-pitched whine comes only when the screen-saver in black kicks in, or turning on eco-saver mode, I guess it must be the colour-wheel working overtime...?
What is having me wondering now, is how loud the fans can be, I really have to crank up the amplifier in order not to be bothered by that wind-machine in the ceiling...
Have any of you owners have installed extra fans or filters onto the intake-grills on this device to avoid the huge amount of dust that I suspect must be gathering inside over time?
best regards, A
post #37 of 42 Old 06-18-2019, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasbratsche View Post
A small update to my experiences with this device:

Had it sent to warranty-service, due to dust on the inside and kind of a wobbly lens when focusing, they had the whole lens replaced. The projector was returned after 3 weeks, and ta-da! the wobbliness and dustiness are all gone!

The high-pitched whine comes only when the screen-saver in black kicks in, or turning on eco-saver mode, I guess it must be the colour-wheel working overtime...?

What is having me wondering now, is how loud the fans can be, I really have to crank up the amplifier in order not to be bothered by that wind-machine in the ceiling...

Have any of you owners have installed extra fans or filters onto the intake-grills on this device to avoid the huge amount of dust that I suspect must be gathering inside over time?

best regards, A

The whine sounds more like a ballast issue (a black screen would cause the projector to throttle lamp output). This is a very compact DLP and as such doesn’t have much by the way of chassis insulation (to keep you from hearing what goes on inside the box). If it’s bothersome you could reach out to BenQ and see if it would be covered under warranty.

The DLP light engine is hermetically sealed. One of the advantages of DLP. As long as you are not using the projector in an especially dusty or dirty environment you should be fine.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #38 of 42 Old 07-01-2019, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I see a possible bug related to Gamma for 3D Mode. When I first power up the projector and then watch a 3D title the Gamma the projector sets in 3D mode is not what is saved in the settings for 3D Mode. For example. I set and save Gamma 2.0 for 3D Mode. The next time I start the projector and then switch to a 3D Movie - if I look at the settings it does say 2.0 for gamma. However the actual gamma is much lower. The image is washed out. I would guess the actual gamma is 1.4 or so. This becomes obvious if I then select another gamma like 1.8 because the image darkens considerably. It should not get darker switching from 2.0 to 1.8. If I recall correct it also darkens considerably just selecting the same 2.0 gamma (that appears to already be selected by visual menu). There should be no change just selecting the same gamma that is visually set but it does get much darker (and correct by visual inspection). Once I manually set the gamma again there is no way to get back to whatever original gamma it was showing (not that I want to).

I have firmware 1.02 and I don't see where there are any downloads for firmware. It is not terrible to have to remember to set the gamma each time I start the projector for a 3D movie but it is a repeatable issue that should be easy to fix in firmware I hope.

Can anyone else confirm this? I will report this to BENQ but want to confirm if it is a known issue or if there is a firmware update somewhere that fixes it. What is the current firmware and can they be downloaded? First time Benq owner. I guess it could just be an issue with my unit as well.

Thanks
post #39 of 42 Old 07-01-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersdlp View Post
I see a possible bug related to Gamma for 3D Mode. When I first power up the projector and then watch a 3D title the Gamma the projector sets in 3D mode is not what is saved in the settings for 3D Mode. For example. I set and save Gamma 2.0 for 3D Mode. The next time I start the projector and then switch to a 3D Movie - if I look at the settings it does say 2.0 for gamma. However the actual gamma is much lower. The image is washed out. I would guess the actual gamma is 1.4 or so. This becomes obvious if I then select another gamma like 1.8 because the image darkens considerably. It should not get darker switching from 2.0 to 1.8. If I recall correct it also darkens considerably just selecting the same 2.0 gamma (that appears to already be selected by visual menu). There should be no change just selecting the same gamma that is visually set but it does get much darker (and correct by visual inspection). Once I manually set the gamma again there is no way to get back to whatever original gamma it was showing (not that I want to).

I have firmware 1.02 and I don't see where there are any downloads for firmware. It is not terrible to have to remember to set the gamma each time I start the projector for a 3D movie but it is a repeatable issue that should be easy to fix in firmware I hope.

Can anyone else confirm this? I will report this to BENQ but want to confirm if it is a known issue or if there is a firmware update somewhere that fixes it. What is the current firmware and can they be downloaded? First time Benq owner. I guess it could just be an issue with my unit as well.

Thanks

Quick question: do you have the LumiExpert feature on? LumiExpert dynamically adjusts the brightness and gamma of the image based in room conditions. It’s been a while now so I don’t remember exactly how this appears in the menu.

post #40 of 42 Old 07-01-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Quick question: do you have the LumiExpert feature on? LumiExpert dynamically adjusts the brightness and gamma of the image based in room conditions. It’s been a while now so I don’t remember exactly how this appears in the menu.
I wondered that as well. I have LumiExpert Off for 2D (Its menu is disabled in 3D Mode). I don't know if LumiExpert is somehow related - it might seem that it could be setting a very low gamma on power up (I have lights on when I power up the projector) and then the setting for gamma for 3D is not getting engaged when first activated (perhaps because it thinks it is already at that set gamma). I am not sure however as I have it OFF in 2D. For sure when I first power up the projector and switch to 3D mode (via content playback) it is not setting the gamma from the settings until I manually set it again.

I might try an experiment where I power up the projector with the room lights already off and see if it has a different starting gamma in 3D as a result. That might tell me it is a bug related to LumiExpert but of course does not solve it.

EDIT: It does indeed seem to be LumiExpert related. If I power up with the lights off the 3D Mode gamma is different than if I power up with the lights on. I now suspect that like all the other modes LumiExpert is on by default even it 3D Mode. However since in 3D the menu choice is not active there is no way to disable it. This might be more of a behavior than a bug but I would argue it is a bug as the user can not modify the LumiExpert setting in 3D mode. In any event I will just make sure to set the gamma in 3D Mode always after power on.
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by fingersdlp; 07-01-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #41 of 42 Old 07-09-2019, 12:29 PM

Thought I should follow up with more information on the LumiExpert in 3D Mode. In the "Advanced" menu the menu choice for LumiExpert is disabled as I mentioned. However there is a button on the remote to bring up this setting directly and I confirmed that it was on in 3D Mode. Thankfully the direct access button does allow it to be shut off or modified in 3D Mode and this persists thru a power cycle. I generally turn it off but I have found with extra low light material (dark) I can get a more pleasing picture by turning it on and then using the settings slider up one or two clicks. So all is well.
sage11x and andreasbratsche like this.
post #42 of 42 Old 11-20-2019, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

Thanks everyone for sharing all of this very useful information.

After some research I have just taken delivery of a TH671ST. My reasons for choosing this model were mainly cost, throw distance and (hopefully) the extra brightness as i will be using this in a normal living room with average light control. I had been planning on buying the 1210ST (2150ST outside UK I believe) until I found the 671, the cost saving means I can buy a cheap soundbar. As a complete newbie to projectors I’m hoping the 671 quality is good enough for me.

So, my question - if I play 4K content via a Fire Stick, will it work but just displayed at a lower resolution?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page