BenQ TH671ST Short Throw Gaming Projector Review and Owners Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 12-25-2017, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
BenQ TH671ST Short Throw Gaming Projector Review and Owners Thread

BenQ was nice enough to give me a look at their brand new TH671ST. Here is my review.

Lately, I've been seeing quite a few threads about short throw projectors. And why not? For a lot of people, a short throw model answers their biggest concern about getting a projector. Namely, where do you put it? Like most projectors, the TH671ST will easily mount to a ceiling. But this BenQ is just as happy to sit on a coffee table and, good news, you won't have to compromise on picture size! With it's short throw lens the TH671ST is capable of filling a 100" screen from as close as 5 feet away. Further more, with an excellent picture and an ultra low input lag of just 16.67ms BenQ's latest is the perfect companion to a video game console or PC. Let's take a closer look.

Basics and Setup

The BenQ TH671ST is a high brightness, short throw, 1080p home theater / gaming projector. It features a 3000 ANSI lumen rating, a 1.2x zoom lens, the aforementioned 16.67ms input response time and Full 3D support. Like the last couple BenQ models I've reviewed, the TH671ST has an impressive 10,000 hour lamp service life in Smart Eco lamp mode. The projector is compact at just 11.65 x 4.72 x 8.82 inches and has a handsome white chassis with a textured top surface that resists finger prints. For connectivity the projector is equipped with two HDMI ports (one with MHL), a VGA input, two USBs, a pair of 3.5mm audio in/outs and an RS-232 port. Inside the box you'll find an instruction manual CD, a quick start guide, a 6ft power cable, a VGA cable, a remote and a snap on lens cap.

Being a short throw projector, the TH671ST is intended to be placed closer to the screen than a conventional projector. For my setup I placed the projector on a coffee table and was up and running in minutes. One thing to note is the TH671ST, like many projectors in it's price range, lacks any sort of lens shift so if you're planning on targeting a fixed screen you'll want to use extra care when mounting your projector and/or screen to make sure everything lines up. The projector does feature vertical keystone but I recommend this only as a last resort as using it will decrease resolution.

Picture Quality

BenQ has built a reputation for having very good picture quality out-of-the-box and I was impressed with the performance here. Starting with the TH671ST in it's default 'Cinema' picture preset I needed only to turn off Brilliant color and make a couple small adjustments to brightness and contrast to get an absolutely spot on image. Color accuracy is excellent here with contrast performance that lends images plenty of pop. Of course, this is a projector that is designed to be used with the lights on as well and the performance here didn't disappoint. I found the 'Sport' preset to offer the best balance of accuracy and lumen punch and even with plenty of ambient light the colors on screen remained vibrant and saturated. Bottom line: this is a projector that can be used for both lights on and lights off viewing without having to compromise.

Lens quality is a stand out here. The TH671ST uses the same all-glass optics as the more expensive HT2150ST and it shows. Projecting onto a 100" 16:9 screen the projector retains focus from edge to edge and exhibited no signs of chromatic aberration. If I'm being completely honest here the lens performance exceeds that of my own HT2050-- a model that get's a lot of press for the quality of it's optics and an indication that BenQ continues to push the envelop of what you can expect from such an affordable projector. With 4k being all the rage these days it's easy to forget just how razor sharp 1080p can look on a quality projector.

One thing I should mention is all my viewing was done with the TH671ST's lamp set to SmartEco. This setting not only maximizes lamp life it enhances contrast by dynamically adjusting lamp power to fit the scene. I recommend the use of SmartEco but the effect isn't invisible and there were a few times I was able to detect the lamp adjusting it's brightness. While I would stop short of saying I found this artifact distracting it was noticeable which is somewhat a change of pace from prior BenQ models I have reviewed which seemed to do a better job of hiding their lamp operation.

Gaming Performance

With a scant 16.67 milliseconds of input lag combined with DLP's inherently excellent motion handing and immunity to blur: gaming on the TH671ST is a joy. Whether I was shotgunning demons in the face in Doom 2016 or stomping koopas in Super Mario World, every controller input felt satisfyingly responsive. I cannot overstate how important low input latency is to a quality gaming display. While some people will tell you that low input lag is only a benefit to 'pro gamers' I'm here to tell you that removing any delay between your controller input and the corresponding action on screen is something gamers of all skill levels can appreciate. While I can't say that my scores in TitanFall 2 improved over those on my 33ms HT2050 I will say the extra responsiveness did make wall running and aiming down sights feel oh-so much more buttery smooth.

While BenQ gives you a custom 'game' picture preset you don't need to use it to gain access to the 17ms input lag. The 'Game' preset is purposefully calibrated with a lower gamma and enhanced sharpness.While I can see the benefit having exaggerated shadow detail and a super sharp picture would have to competitive play I prefer a more natural looking image for today's triple A games. Luckily, any picture preset can be made a 'game mode' by simply turning on Fast Mode under the Advanced Picture menu. I was told that Fast mode disables unnecessary picture processing at the DMD chip to insure the fastest response. The great news here is by giving us access to this setting you can have the excellent color accuracy of cinema or the balanced look of sport without having to sacrifice input lag. Bravo BenQ!

One quick note about Rainbow Effect. The TH671ST uses an RGBCYM color wheel (which helps it to achieve it's 3000 ANSI lumen rating). As such it is not as impervious to RBE as an equivalent RGBRGB model like BenQ's own HT2150ST. Personally, I did not find RBE to be an issue at all during my time with the TH671ST. While it was possible to induce the artifact-- such as quickly turning away from the screen or viewing the screen from my periphery over a laptop or phone-- it wasn't something I noticed during normal viewing/gameplay.

A look at some features that didn't fit above

Wall Color
While a screen is always recommended the wall color setting can be useful if you happen to find yourself projecting on to a bare wall. The wall color setting will adjust the image to compensate for whatever painted surface you might be projecting onto. There are 4 color correction settings: yellow, green, blue and pink (!). I actually tested this feature on our seafoam bedroom wall and the result was surprisingly good. Considering the TH671ST's small size and how easy it is to setup I could see this as being a real advantage for someone who might want to move the projector from room to room or even house to house.

LumiExpert
BenQ is actually debuting a new feature on this model: LumiExpert. LumiExpert is a sort of set-and-forget mode that has the projector adjust the image based on the amount of ambient light in the room (using a light sensor atop the unit). This is distinct from SmartEco which adjusts lamp power based on the content of the scene being displayed. I expected this was going to be strictly a lamp function but quickly realized that there was much more at play here. After reaching out to BenQ I was able to confirm that the LumiExpert feature is actually making real time adjustments to gamma, saturation, hue, etc based on the sensor's reading of the environment. As you might expect, I left this feature off for the majority of my testing. That being said, I don't think this feature is without merit. For those using the TH671ST as their main display this might be a useful feature for family members who might not be comfortable changing picture presets just because they choose to watch with the lights on or off. You could simply leave the projector in whatever picture mode you want and let LumiExpert adjust the display as needed. I did test the function by changing the light levels in my room and found it did do a commendable job of presenting a watchable image.

Conclusion

I really enjoyed my time with the TH671ST. The short throw lens makes setup a breeze and the gaming performance is the best I've experienced in a projector at this price point. Of course, the TH671ST has plenty of muscle to drive large screens in even less than ideal ambient light environments but you might be surprised at just how competent this unit is in a completely dark room as well. Overall, this is a compelling little projector and one that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for a versatile, high quality, short throw solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_210836360_iOS.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	616.1 KB
ID:	2335440   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_210910295_iOS.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	576.7 KB
ID:	2335442   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_210934087_iOS.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	585.2 KB
ID:	2335444   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_220427564_iOS.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	2335450   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171218_014742865_iOS.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	892.5 KB
ID:	2335452  

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 12-30-2017 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Attempted to correct picture orientation... and failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 12-26-2017, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Great review, thanks for posting your thoughts!

The internal speaker is the only thing I'm slightly disappointed in, although I wasn't expecting much. I plan on taking the projector to friends/family on occasion and was hoping to get decent, (internal) sound. It might just be because it's mono and not stereo that really bugs me though.

How does the TH671st's speaker compare to the 2150st's dual speakers, is it a big difference in sound quality? I'm thinking of getting the Yamaha YAS 107 for sound, (seems fairly portable) because the internal speaker is just not enough, even in my small apt.

I'm also getting a huge difference in sound levels between movies and games, (all from PS4 pro). Movies, (Blu Ray discs and streaming) have very low sound, I need to set sound at 17 outta 20. However, games, (both discs and PS4 hard drive) are much better, I only need to put sound around 8 or 9 to be plenty loud. Hopefully the soundbar will help that.

I made a quick video showing my projector in daytime w/o much light control. South facing window with blinds partially open, then closed. About 30 mins before sunset. Not too bad in daytime with blinds closed & no curtains!

Watched John Wick for the first time the other night and omg the Red Circle nightclub scene looks so awesome on this projector!
sage11x likes this.
post #3 of 41 Old 12-27-2017, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euskadi71 View Post
Great review, thanks for posting your thoughts!

The internal speaker is the only thing I'm slightly disappointed in, although I wasn't expecting much. I plan on taking the projector to friends/family on occasion and was hoping to get decent, (internal) sound. It might just be because it's mono and not stereo that really bugs me though.

How does the TH671st's speaker compare to the 2150st's dual speakers, is it a big difference in sound quality? I'm thinking of getting the Yamaha YAS 107 for sound, (seems fairly portable) because the internal speaker is just not enough, even in my small apt.

I'm also getting a huge difference in sound levels between movies and games, (all from PS4 pro). Movies, (Blu Ray discs and streaming) have very low sound, I need to set sound at 17 outta 20. However, games, (both discs and PS4 hard drive) are much better, I only need to put sound around 8 or 9 to be plenty loud. Hopefully the soundbar will help that.

I made a quick video showing my projector in daytime w/o much light control. South facing window with blinds partially open, then closed. About 30 mins before sunset. Not too bad in daytime with blinds closed & no curtains!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TogkRpIPmnM

Watched John Wick for the first time the other night and omg the Red Circle nightclub scene looks so awesome on this projector!
Yeah, I did test the internal speaker and that single 5 watt speaker is not going to be able to provide much of a cinematic feel. A big picture needs big sound, IMO.

I have not tested the HT2150ST so I don't know how good it's internal speakers are. But projector central did and this is what they had to say:

"On-board Audio. The dual 10-watt stereo speakers deliver exceptionally good audio as compared to most projectors in this size and price class. There is plenty of volume for anyone sitting behind it, and there is no distortion when volume is pushed to the maximum. As you'd expect the audio lacks much of a bass component, so if you want fuller, more robust sound, a sound bar or external audio system is the way to go. But in a pinch, the audio on board this projector is quite acceptable and far better than competing units in its class."

As for your sound levels, this has to do with DTS not scaling for dynamic range (the majority of bluray discs are DTS). It's kind of a pain and something I've been complaining about for years as Dolby DOES provide scaling built into their format. Luckily, most players provide a solution. Go into the PS4 Pro menu and look under sound and screen for a dynamic range compression option. I can't remember if the PS4 has one but I know my Sony bluray player does. This will compress the dynamic range of the source material to something more appropriate for a smaller speaker and should solve your volume issue.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 PM

Well, don't tell anyone but I actually read through...THE MANUAL and found that I can adjust frequency bands in the USER MODE for audio settings. Bumped everything up to 4 so that helped quite a bit!

I may try connecting some old speakers, (1980's) to my PS4 first before going to a soundbar.

In the meantime, I'm having fun figuring out what size screen I want. Anyone think a 180" image is too big for basically a 10' x 16" apartment, (with 9' ceiling)? Because I think I can go 200"!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AVS_pic.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	2343960  
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by euskadi71; 01-11-2018 at 01:14 AM.
post #5 of 41 Old 01-11-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
Quote:
... Anyone think a 180" image is too big for basically a 10' x 16" apartment, (with 9' ceiling)? Because I think I can go 200"!
It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks because we all have different preferences for screen size and viewing distances. That's why it's highly recommended to experiment with different image sizes on a plain painted wall. When you find the right size for you that's not so small that it's not cinematic and immersive and not so big as to cause eyestrain, measure the image diagonal and that's your optimum screen size.
post #6 of 41 Old 01-11-2018, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, don't tell anyone but I actually read through...THE MANUAL and found that I can adjust frequency bands in the USER MODE for audio settings. Bumped everything up to 4 so that helped quite a bit!

I may try connecting some old speakers, (1980's) to my PS4 first before going to a soundbar.

In the meantime, I'm having fun figuring out what size screen I want. Anyone think a 180" image is too big for basically a 10' x 16" apartment, (with 9' ceiling)? Because I think I can go 200"!

Lol! I love it!

While I agree with Dave that screen size is entirely up to you what I will say is make sure you try out a wide variety of content and plan for the bulb to dim a little. For example: while racing games feel amazing on a HUGE screen I find that many FPS (particularly those without adjustable FOV) make me a little ill. Lol! Also, make sure you’re not on the ragged edge of what you consider acceptable for brightness because as the bulb ages you may find yourself no longer to push that screen size satisfactorily. You want to leave a little headroom.

But, yeah, the TH671ST can get super bright and the lens is so good I had no problems pushing upwards of a 140/150” image. Sorry, I ran out of wall space at that point.

post #7 of 41 Old 01-11-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot to mention that on image size short throw models typically can't throw as large a clear image as longer throw models can due to constraints with the short throw lens. If you check the BenQ specifications for the TH671ST it says:

Quote:
Clear Image Size (Diagonal) 60"~120"

Image Size 30''~ 300"
So while you can produce a 180" or 200" image if you want BenQ warns that above 120" the image will become less clear and sharp. This is true of all short throw projectors. Most projector companies don't mention this but BenQ is very open and honest about it.

post #8 of 41 Old 01-11-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
I forgot to mention that on image size short throw models typically can't throw as large a clear image as longer throw models can due to constraints with the short throw lens. If you check the BenQ specifications for the TH671ST it says:

So while you can produce a 180" or 200" image if you want BenQ warns that above 120" the image will become less clear and sharp. This is true of all short throw projectors. Most projector companies don't mention this but BenQ is very open and honest about it.‎
Yes, I'd read that about the projector's sweet spot range and was actually thinking of 110" or 120" for a screen size. Also I definitely could see the "screen door" with the largest sizes I was projecting. Not to mention I had to put the projector on the floor, (well, on a hardcover book on the floor)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Lol! I love it!

While I agree with Dave that screen size is entirely up to you what I will say is make sure you try out a wide variety of content and plan for the bulb to dim a little. For example: while racing games feel amazing on a HUGE screen I find that many FPS (particularly those without adjustable FOV) make me a little ill. Lol! Also, make sure you’re not on the ragged edge of what you consider acceptable for brightness because as the bulb ages you may find yourself no longer to push that screen size satisfactorily. You want to leave a little headroom.

But, yeah, the TH671ST can get super bright and the lens is so good I had no problems pushing upwards of a 140/150” image. Sorry, I ran out of wall space at that point.
Thanks for the tips! Good to know about some early bulb dimming. I've been running on Eco and that seems just fine for me. Well, that giant throw was more for fun and showing off to friends & family but yeah, I watched Civil War and played Horizon Zero Dawn at the 180" size and whew! it's a bit...exhausting...still might show off the big size on occasion! Also, that wall looks so barren with nothing there when not watching lol.
Dave in Green likes this.
post #9 of 41 Old 02-27-2018, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How practical is it for a living room with lots of windows in the afternoon?
post #10 of 41 Old 02-28-2018, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
How practical is it for a living room with lots of windows in the afternoon?

The TH671ST is very bright and my current favorite recommendation for anyone looking to operate a projector in ambient light. That being said: no projector can compete with direct sunlight. As AVS member Dave in Green says, sunlight kills two things: vampires and projector images. Some light is ok and you certainly don’t need to paint your walls black or buy black out curtains to enjoy a projector but you’ll want to have some control— whether that means drawing some semi transparent curtains or perhaps letting down (but not fully closing) blinds.

Keep in mind too that light is the enemy of contrast and while most LCD TVs can get bright enough to give the illusion of contrast in a bright room a projector is projecting onto a white or gray screen so the contrast performance in a well lit room is going to be rough. Then again: during the day it’s TV and sports for most people and both tend to be quite bright (most people aren’t watching The Dark Knight during the afternoon hours). Special ambient light rejecting screens can help here but typically these screens come with some caveats, most notably of which is higher prices.

post #11 of 41 Old 03-04-2018, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you! I tested my Benq W1070 in my living room, and I was surprised how washed out it looked with a little ambient light. It seemed much worse with ambient light than in its usual place, my bedroom. Does the lighter, whiter paint in my living room make the image more vulnerable to ambient light? I’m hoping the 671ST will be a major upgrade to the W1070 in the living room with ambient light, and I plan on getting some better paint for the wall.
post #12 of 41 Old 03-05-2018, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Thank you! I tested my Benq W1070 in my living room, and I was surprised how washed out it looked with a little ambient light. It seemed much worse with ambient light than in its usual place, my bedroom. Does the lighter, whiter paint in my living room make the image more vulnerable to ambient light? I’m hoping the 671ST will be a major upgrade to the W1070 in the living room with ambient light, and I plan on getting some better paint for the wall.
Yes, if you have darker paint in your bedroom it won't wash out as bad with a little ambient light than white paint/white ceilings...just like how a grey screen does better in ambient light than white because it attenuates the light reflected back to the screen off the walls, mirrors, white clothes, upholstery, etc.
post #13 of 41 Old 03-05-2018, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What pottscb said.

Light control is more than just your ability to block light from getting into the room— it’s also about controlling reflections within the room. If you’ve been to a theater lately think about the types of textures and colors that adorn the walls and ceiling of a movie theater. You obviously don’t have to go that far in your own home but just remember that no matter how dark you can get your room you’re about to introduce a 200+ watt lamp into it. Lol! Any way you can cut down on reflections and scatter will help.

post #14 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
New TH671ST owner, really happy with my purchase, the image quality is excellent (projecting on a dark grey wall at the moment, looking at options, maybe painting it white), I don't really notice any rainbow effects (only when I try really hard, and only around the subtitles), perfect for my room. Now I need to upgrade my sound system, my old Logitech X-530 set is horrible.
sage11x likes this.
post #15 of 41 Old 04-11-2018, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razon View Post
New TH671ST owner, really happy with my purchase, the image quality is excellent (projecting on a dark grey wall at the moment, looking at options, maybe painting it white), I don't really notice any rainbow effects (only when I try really hard, and only around the subtitles), perfect for my room. Now I need to upgrade my sound system, my old Logitech X-530 set is horrible.

Congrats on your new purchase!

RBE is becoming less and less of an issue with each subsequent generation of DLP projectors and the TH671ST is very good in this regard.

I’m a big fan of fixed screens but I know not everyone wants to budget for the expense or the hassle of mounting. A 100” Silver Ticket White screen will run you around $200. Larger screens will increase in price from there. The TH671ST is exceedingly bright so if you decide to go with a painted wall it will still look great. Keep in mind that there are special paint formulas available at your local home improvement store that will work a little better than a simple white latex but not all of them have a lot of gain. Here is a great (if a little old) article about DIY screens and DIY screen paint: http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

Yes, definitely time to upgrade your surround sound. Do you have a budget you’re working within? How big is your space?

post #16 of 41 Old 04-12-2018, 04:50 AM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

I’m a big fan of fixed screens but I know not everyone wants to budget for the expense or the hassle of mounting. A 100” Silver Ticket White screen will run you around $200. Larger screens will increase in price from there. The TH671ST is exceedingly bright so if you decide to go with a painted wall it will still look great. Keep in mind that there are special paint formulas available at your local home improvement store that will work a little better than a simple white latex but not all of them have a lot of gain. Here is a great (if a little old) article about DIY screens and DIY screen paint: http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

Yes, definitely time to upgrade your surround sound. Do you have a budget you’re working within? How big is your space?
I will probably go the DIY route, I just need to choose between white and grey/silver paint, my current dark grey is just a little bit too dark.

My room is little, only 2x3 meters, the screen around 90 inches, so I was looking at AVR+speaker sets and decided on a Harman Kardon 1515S (This receiver and these speakers) , got a really nice deal on it bringing the price under my original budget of 500€
sage11x likes this.
post #17 of 41 Old 10-16-2018, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm from Brazil. I'm thinking of buying a projector. I decided on the Benq brand. And, I'm among those models below. I use more in movies. Then causal in games. Thanks for your help. Value is not important, since here in Brazil everything is expensive, more than double. Thank you all.

I appreciate all the help. Yeah, when I see specifications so close between them I get lost.

soaoga

I do not know if I can compare to each other !?

Projetor HT671ST vs Projetor HT683
post #18 of 41 Old 01-21-2019, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
We just dropped our review of the TH671ST at ProjectorCentral. Looks like a pretty sweet value for $699 -- nice to see a bright, color-accurate short throw (with a zoom, no less) and low input lag for those need it.

Here's the link...

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...1ST-Review.htm
sage11x likes this.
post #19 of 41 Old 01-22-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCentral Rob View Post
We just dropped our review of the TH671ST at ProjectorCentral. Looks like a pretty sweet value for $699 -- nice to see a bright, color-accurate short throw (with a zoom, no less) and low input lag for those need it.

Here's the link...

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...1ST-Review.htm
Projector Central shows 617 lumens in eco-cinema mode and colorlightoutput puts it at 700 color lumens for I’m assuming theater mode in its normal lamp setting. This is due to the RGBCYW color wheel configuration boasting advertised lumens. I presume these numbers are before any lamp dimming so realistically in a theater setting could we expect maybe around 500 lumens in its best theater mode / eco?

I owned a RGBCYW for 3 years and came to the conclusion that for most casual viewers even in a perfect theater setting some of the brighter modes that include the CYW filters can still produce a very enjoyable theater image for movies even if somewhat color incorrect. Both reviews seem to allude to that. What I found however is that benefit didn’t proceed all the way up into the brightest settings and much past the midpoint of the max lumens wasn’t my idea of a quality movie image in terms of color accuracy. Ironically that point is just about the same point where a RGBRGB projector with all things equal would be.

This was a few years back and my hope has always been that they would figure better how to use the CYW better than just to claim some high lumen number to put on the box. This projector might be some of that as in looking at the color wheel it only gives over 10% of the wheel to white, about 10% to yellow and maybe 13% to cyan. We most likely have no idea how they have improved the algorithms using these segments, but the smaller size of the segments is promising.

If the guys that have tested it could respond at least visually to color accuracy in the higher setting I would love to know? Also with just a single RGB what is your opinion on the likelihood of rainbows?

I know it is intended as a gamming projector but with the limited number of shorter throws left around for theater people to pick from and nothing hardly 4k in short throws.

It has been out a few years now seeing the thread come up again there should be some solid history by now.

PS Rob, we are not supposed to mention street pricing on the main forum only in the found deals forum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BenQ_TH671ST.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	2514586  

Bud
post #20 of 41 Old 01-22-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
… PS Rob, we are not supposed to mention street pricing on the main forum only in the found deals forum.
It may have originally been listed with an MSRP of $749 but even BenQ is now listing it at $699 without saying it's on sale. So $699 may be the new MSRP.
post #21 of 41 Old 01-22-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... Also with just a single RGB what is your opinion on the likelihood of rainbows? ...
Quote:
Rainbow artifacts. The TH671ST gets mixed results for rainbow artifacts. I saw them more often than with most current models, but they were surprisingly fleeting. If you're not sensitive to rainbows, you may not see them at all. But if you are particularly bothered or don't know if you are, consider purchasing from a dealer that allows easy returns so you can test this for yourself.
Sounds like the usual that those sensitive to rainbows should pay a little extra for an RGBRGB color wheel as with the nearly identical BenQ HT2150ST.
post #22 of 41 Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Sounds like the usual that those sensitive to rainbows should pay a little extra for an RGBRGB color wheel as with the nearly identical BenQ HT2150ST.
I missed the rainbow section in the review thanks for pointing to it.

So basically in today’s world you pay about $175 for a tiny glass color wheel. I guess that has been true for the last few years on all projectors spec close.

Bud
post #23 of 41 Old 01-22-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
… So basically in today’s world you pay about $175 for a tiny glass color wheel. I guess that has been true for the last few years on all projectors spec close.
The color wheel isn't the only difference. The HT2150ST comes in a larger case with more internal baffling and is rated by BenQ as 4dB quieter than the TH671ST, which is a valuable feature to many. The HT2150ST also adds ISF night and day modes which will be a useful feature to some. The HT2150ST also has an upgraded internal sound system (2 speakers @ 10W each vs. 1 speaker at 5W) which some will find useful. But, certainly, it's a common company marketing tactic with most products to charge premium prices for premium features beyond what consumers might expect those premium features should cost.
sage11x and bud16415 like this.
post #24 of 41 Old 01-22-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

If the guys that have tested it could respond at least visually to color accuracy in the higher setting I would love to know? Also with just a single RGB what is your opinion on the likelihood of rainbows? ...

...PS Rob, we are not supposed to mention street pricing on the main forum only in the found deals forum.

Oops, sorry about the price quote and thanks for the info; will watch that in the future.

Re: color in the brighter modes, see below. Bright might be usable for high ambient light despite the usual green push, but Sports or Vivid TV might be about as bright as you can get while maintaining reasonable color accuracy. Unfortunately, that's a big drop in measured ANSI lumens -- down to 1887 or 1949 respectively in Normal power mode, vs 2638 for Bright. Too bad there's nothing in between.

"Most of the TH671ST's color modes are usable straight out of the box, even for film or video, with varying degrees of color accuracy. As with the brightest mode for most projectors, the TH671ST's Bright mode shows a slight green shift. However it is less than with most projectors, particularly those in this price range. The bigger problem with Bright mode is the loss of gradations to the point of showing a hint of posterization in demanding images. Despite that, Bright mode with defaults is our choice for the presentation-optimized setting, even for presentations that include photorealistic images. Most people will also consider it acceptable for occasional use in, say, a family room in daytime when they absolutely need the extra brightness"

And I see the comments about more than the usual number of rainbows have been noted...
bud16415 likes this.
post #25 of 41 Old 01-23-2019, 01:24 PM

Liked: 1
Hi there,
Maybe an unusual question: what would the minimum distance be for the BenQ TH671ST before getting out of focus?
Am looking for a short-throw to replace a little TV with something bigger without the fuzz of a long-throw projector behind the viewers or having to get a 55- inch LED or OLED. Behind our old TV there is about 1,5 feet distance to a grey plastered wall with about 80-inch picture-space , and my better half is , mildly put, reluctant to have a monstrous LED-TV as the centrepiece in our living-room. Alternatively, a short throw could be pulled out for the occasional block-buster big-screen. Having scoured forums for reviews for short-throws and UST-projectors, I am a bit reluctant to invest in a UST with quirky geometry, cheap colour-wheels and dim LED-lights. Alternatively, the Optima GT1080 might be our second option, alas with less colour saturation and worse optics, but with shorter throw-distance. I would love to hear your two-cents on the topic!

greetings from CZ,
murr
post #26 of 41 Old 01-23-2019, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasbratsche View Post
Hi there,

Maybe an unusual question: what would the minimum distance be for the BenQ TH671ST before getting out of focus?

Am looking for a short-throw to replace a little TV with something bigger without the fuzz of a long-throw projector behind the viewers or having to get a 55- inch LED or OLED. Behind our old TV there is about 1,5 feet distance to a grey plastered wall with about 80-inch picture-space , and my better half is , mildly put, reluctant to have a monstrous LED-TV as the centrepiece in our living-room. Alternatively, a short throw could be pulled out for the occasional block-buster big-screen. Having scoured forums for reviews for short-throws and UST-projectors, I am a bit reluctant to invest in a UST with quirky geometry, cheap colour-wheels and dim LED-lights. Alternatively, the Optima GT1080 might be our second option, alas with less colour saturation and worse optics, but with shorter throw-distance. I would love to hear your two-cents on the topic!

greetings from CZ,

murr

I’ve posted an image of the throw chart from the manual. Similarly, you could use projector central’s excellent projector calculator from the link above: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

andreasbratsche likes this.

post #27 of 41 Old 01-23-2019, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I got this projector for my father. It's in a fully furnished living room so I paired it with a 92 inch floor rising screen. The short throw allows me to easily reach the cable box that's under a tv, next to the projector screen. It's a very clunky setup, but my dad loves it, especially being able to clearly see the scrolling scripts on the bottom of the screen. I don't remember what mode it's in, but I did use picture settings from another review site, and that greatly improved the picture.
post #28 of 41 Old 01-24-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just purchased this projector this week. Looking forward to setting it up this weekend. I didn't see it in the manual, but is it possible to set a 16:10 aspect ratio?
post #29 of 41 Old 01-24-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@kevin1889 , 16:10 is the native aspect ratio of most business projectors while 16:9 is the native aspect ratio of most home video projectors like the TH671ST. As I recall you were going to use this for a golf simulator. Is your screen or golf simulator software in a 16:10 aspect ratio?
post #30 of 41 Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
@kevin1889 , 16:10 is the native aspect ratio of most business projectors while 16:9 is the native aspect ratio of most home video projectors like the TH671ST. As I recall you were going to use this for a golf simulator. Is your screen or golf simulator software in a 16:10 aspect ratio?
@dave - yes. I'm projecting straight from my PC, and given the space, I'd like to take advantage of the height I have. I'm not too savvy with this, so forgive me if I'm misspeaking but I think that I can force the PC to create a 16:10 display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page